Thanks

Where is the ball that sticks out of the femur/thigh?

Sorry for the confusing title. Where is the part of the femur that sticks out located? I thought it was the widest part of the thigh, but now I can't tell if it's above or below the groin or if it is a little bit higher than the widest part.

Here is what I thought:
    Name:  thigh.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  66.3 KB
    Last edited by DisruptedMatrix; January 4th, 2018 at 01:26 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The hip bone and where the femur stick out are in two different places. So it's kind of unclear which part you mean

Thanks
    I thought the hip bone was the pelvis but I swear on my life i googled femur earlier and it called it the hip bone!

Thanks
    I need to know where the part of the femur that sticks out is located, on real photos if you can. So I can visualize it when I am looking at other nudes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCowan View Post
    The hip bone and where the femur stick out are in two different places. So it's kind of unclear which part you mean
    I actually though the edge of the pelvis was the hip bone, but I was googling femur earlier (as you can see) and a link referred to it as the hip bone. but now I googled hip bone and it says pelvis.

Thanks
    The confusion I think comes from people using "hip" in reference to the region of the body because they don't know they actual anatomical words.
    The pelvis is a collection of bones, including the hip bone, which is itself a collection of three smaller bones.
    The widest part of the pelvis is the hip bone, and the widest part of the hip bone(s) is ilium crest.
    The "hip joint" or acetabulum is where the femur head connects to the hip bone/pelvis.
    The part of the femur your addressing that sticks out is the greater tronchanter, it sits a little above the groin.

here watch these
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJOT1cQHFqA (bones)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk8RF-7oy9Y (muscles)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernoKing View Post
    The confusion I think comes from people using "hip" in reference to the region of the body because they don't know they actual anatomical words.
    The pelvis is a collection of bones, including the hip bone, which is itself a collection of three smaller bones.
    The widest part of the pelvis is the hip bone, and the widest part of the hip bone(s) is ilium crest.
    The "hip joint" or acetabulum is where the femur head connects to the hip bone/pelvis.
    The part of the femur your addressing that sticks out is the greater tronchanter, it sits a little above the groin.

here watch these
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJOT1cQHFqA (bones)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk8RF-7oy9Y (muscles)
    Thank you. I already knew what the iliac crest is and how they the femur was connected to the pelvis with a ball joint for movement, so I wasn't TOTALLY ignorant, just like 70% haha. I know studying anatomy is helpful, but I tend to just mentally disregard the names for things. Celebrities, new people I meet, anatomical terms, characters in movies. It makes studying a bit problematic because I don't want to sit there and memorize terms with flashcards. Do you have any recommendation for how to get around this? Do I really need to know the terms for things or can I just watch videos like this and just get an overall feel for how things work?

I'm nine min into the first video, and they are already mentioning how the latissimus dorsi has muscle connected to the iliac crest.

Thanks
    Nah, you don't have to know each and every part of the human body in order to draw anatomy.
    Knowing the names for stuff helps when you're trying to look up specific features for the purpose of landmarks, like the greater trochanter, even more so if you're trying to communicate that to other people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqxPHew5bGQ
    In this case you could use the bottom of the outer edges of the lower box to estimate where the GTs placement is.

"Anatomy for the Artist" by Jeno Barcsay is on my recommended book list, it's tedious to read but you don't really need to as images are a good break down of the muscles and bones from different angles.

As for general art memory retention, you can create visual associations: like how certain artists will use different colors for different muscle groups, how it's recommended to use human heads as means to remember other body proportion,
    or like with Proko's robo-bean studies.
    I watch exercise videos because the trainers will often refer to the different muscle groups in short term (glutes, pecs, lats) that each routine seeks to improve.
    I find it helps (my memory) to explain what was learned to someone else, either by writing it out or by just talking with people. I think that's why we encourage kids to do oral presentations (as annoying as that is to anyone with anxiety).
    Also being able to do critiques; seeing why something in another person's piece is off or what principle can be used to improve it, and being able to communicate that to them will entrench your understanding even if you personally can't do that thing yet.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here is some info.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SirPent For This Useful Post: