Sketchbook: Sketches and Studies by Craig Houghton - [11/16] - Page 11
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Sketches and Studies by Craig Houghton - [11/16]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great updates!! I LOVE that close-up of the vulture. Gorgeous!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How did I miss all these amazing updates? I'm kicking myself! I love the watercolours for your old CHOW entry. A very good mood.

Erilaz

Books of love:
    RebeccaK bumskee dirty_c Iconophobian Steph Laberis

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Craig! So glad you are back. I wanted to hurry you up a bit to come back from time to time, just write something in your book ( I do this when I'm losing my patience), but I somehow thought it would not work with you . Was I wrong? . Anyway, I'm really glad that you are posting.

Great update, so many treats and all are beautiful. My favorites are the sketch of the Noser, his drawing and the portrait of the vulture .

This portrait is a bit funny, because it kind of follows a traditional manner in painting. Model is sitting in comfortable chair, kind of reclined, very convenient for long hours of posing. The artist tying to catch an inner world of the person. well, all this applies to this piece, except you got very fresh face .
    Seriously talking it's a great portrait. Lovely texture of the feather and down and very interesting expression. The bird has seen it all, ate all kind of rodents, went through all kind of ups and downs life offered.

Drawing and sketch of the Warbler are gems, I especially like the sketch for speed and careless pencils strokes. But the drawing has very nice textures in it. Both of them are pure beauty. If it's possible would you tell me, please, what you used for those, what kind of of the pencils, because I really like this greasy black shading.

The painted version is very nice too, but looks more polished and I'm not sure about colors, specifically this blue color.

Wonderful sketch from figure drawing, different pen colors look great, I like the variety of lines you use.

About Elvis painting: it's great, colors, silhouette, textures, I love it all. But I think the King was more extreme, and his pose and hairdo were more grotesque too . He liked to shock, you know. But in any case it's a great piece, I think it will make a wonderful gift.

I consume both, btw, Elvis and Beatles, but the last ones my weakness.

Regards, Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glik - thanks!
    Erilaz - Seems to me there's been a shortage of updates from me lately. Hopefully I'm back in the groove. Many thanks!
    Sveta - "The bird has seen it all, ate all kind of rodents, went through all kind of ups and downs life offered." Well said! He was a rather upbeat model, for a vulture. Thanks for the kind words! On the bird, I used General's Charcoal pencils for the greasy black shading. The colored version still has a while to go, and I think I might agree with you about the blue. Btw, I figured you for a Beatles fan. Thanks for all your comments.

----------------------

The following two drawings are preliminary sketches/studies for a pair of package (art supply) illustrations. They should each correspond, hopefully, to a finished work which I'll be doing for Monday. I'm hoping everything goes well.

Something similar to this will be on the larger package. I still need to add color accents and additional detail etc. Even then I'll probably have to do a second, better, version.

The highlighting might look odd at the moment, but the drawing is still awaiting the color accents(using pastel pencils).

I only made it as far as the sketch for this one. I'll be using a technique similar to the above, but there won't be any color and I'll probably do more gradient work to correspond to the materials in the package.

Thanks for looking and wish me luck on getting the prelims approved!

Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey badass Craig
    nice work, good luck
    Craig D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some seriously amazing artwork here!!!!! (!)
    Love that hawk above ^ So many sutble colours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Craig! . You figured out I'm a Beatles fan , ( although I'm Elvis fan too, I'm even Michael Jackson fan and Frank Sinatra fan ) . Well, you should've figured out then my next question: "How did you figure out?" . I kind of figured out the answer though, I should quote Elvis too.

So it's a my beloved charcoal after all, I'm shocked in a very good way. How did you manage not to smear all this beautiful lines? I'm telling you, after this you can try Everest, it will be much easier, I think. I thought it was some graphite pencils. I tried them from time to time and always I'm' disappointed how dull the colors are. I love dirt!

Hope you didn't get upset over my rambling about Elvis sketch, please don't.

The last sketches look lovely and really motivate me to buy this art supply. The girl in the garden looks very attractive. And the mood is calm, relaxing, uniting a human being and nature. I love both of them. First one looks more relaxing because of oval following composition and those lines, they all are light and soothing.
    In the second drawing the mood is a bit different, because the lines are faster and sharper.
    I might add just one note, if you want to hear it, of course. I got it myself a lot, and memorised it . The length of person's hand should be equal of the length of this person face. In the first drawing they look a bit smaller. I might be wrong though. And it's not that important anyway.
    So glad to see your thread active again
    Regards, Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sve - Well, you did mention the taxman in your thread, but really I just got that impression in general. As for keeping things clean, I used a handbridge I built out of plastic to wrest my wrist. And aside from that, I use an electric eraser Thanks so much for the helpful comments btw! I'd respond more, but I have to run at the moment. Thanks again.

Sabe - Many thanks! I'm glad you like 'em.

Craig D - My namesake returns! (not sure who after who and all that) Many thanks.

-------------------

package illustrations

In retrospect I'd have used a darker paper or just plain white. They wanted me to use a very light paper to suit the box, but I didn't want to go with white because I like using white highlights on charcoal. The light paper didn't work with the highlights in the end. I should have gone white. Nonetheless here's illustrations for the two kits (I'll mention what they were for after they're used - very, very excited about it though):

for the drawing kit

and

the smaller kit

gotta run

-Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude nice drawings ill be posting my new drawings in a few days im finishing mine up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Craig. Looks beautiful and brings a lot of memories from my childhood, and I bet from yours too. I remember this realistic manner to draw for illustrations and ads. I m very fond of it, brings some order in our chaotic life. Actually a lot of objects in those drawings brings memories to me, or my nerves are in very bad shape, everything seems sentimental now days . But these blooming trees, I remember them and have a lot of associations risen up, and those grasses, and the jeans jacket, simplicity of my student's years.
    You caught wonderful feel of air and light wind in those drawings. I want to guess. is it for small easel? they are present in both pictures?
    They are looking great. I hope you will get the commission.
    Now about Beatles vs Elvis, I feel you have some more to say about this . you know i love to listen strange theories. You talk more, I'll talk more... Nah. I talk more in any case . Still. please tell. I love to listen.
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; January 29th, 2006 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LoveHateWar - Thanks for stopping by. Glad to hear you like em'

Sveta - I always appreciate your visits. They usually have me taking a new look at the work myself -- now that you mentioned the wind, I realized that her hair needed a few flyaways -- that movement would be an asset I think -- thank you. I'm glad you like them. The easel was a great guess, but they are actually for a pair of drawing kits containing sketching/drawing mediums. As such, I needed to use the materials in the kit (hence the color). As for the nostalgia, I seem to have a habit of makiing things a bit sappy

----------------------------

here's something a bit funky -- just an experiment sketch on black ink in white (it's a female Andean Condor btw -- also from the Bronx Zoo)
    it looks unfinished (more like abandoned -- white was so 'slow')

and these three are tiny 2.5x3.5 inch ACEOs

a female American Kestral

Ring-Billed Gull (boring pose -- i regret bothering with it)

and a Black-Capped Chickadee standing alert -- they're usually hunkered down looking plump

and here's just some fun with a sp profile drawing (photoshop and nat. stuff)

Thanks for looking!

Craig

Last edited by Craig Houghton; June 26th, 2006 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you up and kicking it again! Missed looking at your art work! Keep posting man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That Photoshop experiment looks cool. Birdies are alive! Cool stuff, post more

SKETCHBOOK

Sinister Six Sketch Group
    Since 2003, sorta.
    Cookiedough Fooxoo Hyver Wolfje character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Craig. Thank you for restoring your links.
    I like the first art card. Is it watercolors? very pleasant to look, very soft, because of these modest natural color palette.
    I would choose the same for nature painting. I just think it's impossible to do it better than long time consuming feather to feather done selection. So I guess all abstract and surrealism painters can relax .
    I'm rambling of course, but there is some point here, though. Ecosystem, everything is connected, all colors are not accidental. remove one component and see it growing in different direction . Beauty has a function as a base. Not so in art. What do you think, Craig?

I like your portrait, this effect is very curious, like it is on the bottom of the very clean river or creek, and water is streaming. So I like this play of light very much. Dynamic portrait because of this texture. I could add some more association, but really don't want to look like I'm quite a chatter. Ah, I'll say it anyway. I think about time passing by, about vanity of human life, about getting older, when I see current moment portrait and flowing away waters, minutes, days, years. Now, I said it, feel better . Hope you don't think I'm total nuts.
    You see yourself as an observer, Craig. I see you like this too.
    And your art is not sappy, it's personal, warm, that's all.
    Sveta

P.S. And you skipped my question about Beatles vs Elvis. Sad sigh.

Last edited by sve; February 5th, 2006 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like your sketchbook

The birds are looking good... really like the vulture.

Have you tried using masking fluid for precision highlights when painting with water colours? Or using a candle and rub a little on grainy paper to get different texture where the stuff get attached the colour wont.

Keep it up :]

My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

chow entry

Seth - Thx man. It's good to be posting.

Sveta - The art cards are all pen and watercolor. I definitely enjoy spending time w/ the details. I usually have to force myself to stop. As for the ecosystem and beauty. I noticed something the other day. I usually don't enjoy bugs or find them all that beautiful, but lately I've had a thing for birds. So, when I thought about the insects returning this Spring, I actually considered the idea of a whole swarm of bugs as beautiful in a way -- they're food for the birds. So, yes, everything is connected. I couldn't love just the birds without looking forward to the oncoming Spring onslaught of bugs (which I usually dislike). Also, thank you for the kind words regarding the SP. My girlfriend said the same thing about it bringing to mind the idea of the observer. I'd like to think I did that on purpose, but I'm not positive. Oh, and I think I dodged the Beatle question again..

Fooxoo - Many thanks. I'm glad you liked the update.

Mindflaw - Thanks Mind. Yeah, I've used masking fluid now and then, but perhaps I should break it back out. I always hate having to plan and wait for it to dry. I tend to get impatient.

-------------------------

Character of the Week entry -- Topic was Nancy Goodaim, Space Heroine

I wanted to do a lot more with it, but I ran out of time. There were lots of other great entries this week. Here's a link to the Voting thread if curious

Thanks for looking!

Craig

p.s. tomorrow I'll add the uncolored ver of the C.H.O.W.

Last edited by Craig Houghton; June 26th, 2006 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's the Goodaim drawing -- charcoal pencil (went for a mostly inked look without having to use ink)

a wren and a black-capped from a Paintchat (a shared drawing space) session

and a Pied Kingfisher -- just dl'ed the new version of artrage and I figured I'd give it a whirl

Thanks for looking!
    Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Craig , what 's the point to dodge the questions, believe me it's much easier to answer my old questions and try to keep up with new ones . So my guess is you have some major grudge again Elvis and his people. Or he is too vulgar for you . I like him, he broke some boundaries and rules on his way, but funny thing, he didn't feel all that charmed, when Beatles started to do the same, he was even trying to do some movements to prevent them to go on a tour in America. He was afraid they would destroy all morality, hehe, which lasted after him, hehehe. I think it's very funny. I have to say that Lennon didn't do such a funny thing, he was consistently a rebel to the end.
    OK, I hope to hear your thoughts about it. .
    About bugs, well, you probably realised that they are much more accomplished in surviving skills than us, and birds and anyone else. They will sure outlive us all. So this is my guess why you don't like them, maybe you are envious. I'm kidding, Craig, don't take me seriously, OK? . I don't take myself seriously for sure .

About my feeling to them. I'm all for it , let them all be. The major attractive side to our existence is the variety. So here goes the famous quote 'Let one thousand flowers bloom' (Chairman Mao).

Now, I love them all until they start to be too personal with me, And here I have to use some shoe. This is where I disagree with Buddhists. I have no idea how they didn't lose their cool with them, bugs...

I voted for your entry in this chow, Her face, colors, pose, her naked back, bold outfit and latex texture charmed me from the first moment I saw her. She is gorgeous and shocking, and really fun. I feel like laughing and breaking rules when I look at her. And yes, I hear the tune "Tomorrow never die' from Agent 007. And from "Mission impossible" too. And I have a strong association with Pulp fiction.

Looked at her again, she is so beautiful and cruel. And her naked back is very bold. Such a gorgeous psychopath.

Sketch is beautiful. May i ask do you use all thi already done detailed rendering when you start color the image. Or you have to do it all over again.

I like the bird in the middle, the best pose and coloring, in my opinion.
    So thank you very much
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; March 2nd, 2006 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sve - Hey, I've no grudge against Elvis (except maybe for the FBI thing). As for Elvis/Beatles, there's always the Pulp FIction way of looking at it: "For example, there's two kinds of people in this world, Elvis people and Beatles people." Try this link: Elvis or Beatles (beatles for me)

"Such a gorgeous psychopath" I like that Once the drawing was done I was 85% finished. Most of the coloring was done 'under' the charcoal.

--------------------------

ok, here's the update. It seems American Falconry might be doing a little featured artist thing on me in an upcoming magazine (remember the falcon's hood piece?). They asked for some additional falconry related works, so I managed a few.

yes, I'm still obsessed with birds

In Hand - charcoal and Painter 3x4

peregrine falcon in charcoal pencil and pastel

just playing with a water-soluble marker

and, unrelated to the falconry, here's a black-capped chickadee acrylic on canvas 12x16

did it as a wrap-around

Tonight I'll probably start scanning the recent sketch-work.

Thanks for looking!

-Craig

Last edited by Craig Houghton; June 26th, 2006 at 05:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Craig, you've got a great collection of images. How've you been? I see you've been obsessed with birds a lot lately. The portait of that falcon rocks, though i really like the technique you used to do the kingfisher and the understated colors of the chikadee (so that's what a chikadee looks like). Birds are so hard to do, thumbs up to you, man. Hope to see more from you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, how come I haven't noticed this thread earlier? I realy, realy enjoy these. So many works from mother nature from outdoors and of birds n animals. Have yet to check the previous pages. I'm stuck at work and will have to wait for hours or so till somebody will get me out of here, so I'm sure I'll have a nice time nevertheless. (Having 5 pages to browse through ahaid). Thanks n so long....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

You're an inspiration dude!

I have to try hard not to get depressed when you say "oh just trying out this new technique or tool" and you nail it anyway. LOL

Top stuff man. I used to draw all the birds that my dad used to have in these cups when i was little. These are a lot cooler and better but it still made m day dream. Thanks for that.

Keep it up man.

-PJ
    Keep the child alive...
    Dare to Believe Sb
    Website
    Blog
    Class 1 and 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, Craig, that's a wonderful news, I'm so happy to hear about the magazine recognising your work, totally deserved, you are a great artist. I think some magazine needs to do the same with your girls' paintings and drawings. They are what attached me to your thread in the first place, so feminine and beautiful.

I'm sorry for being so ill-mannered, but what a stupid test you pointed to me. Of course, I went, read, took the test (only out of respect to you, thinking that you probably went through this too.) And what I got from this? That I'm an Elvis person. And I put the answer that I prefer Beatles. No comments.

The phrase about the preference from the Pulp Fiction is just a nicely put phrase, not even a thought. There are people who have no idea about existence of the both. It's just words, speaker's trick, in my opinion.

OK, OK. The theme is closed, forever!!! What FBI thing, btw? hehehehe.

My favorite is the peregrine falcon, I love the charcoal dearly and you are masterfully using it. Those varied pencils strokes are beautiful, all the textures are so tasty, so see I this drawing up close, hold it in my hands, I would put it in my mouth immediately and swallow it before you say Ohhh. True words. Art is like the culinary masterpieces for me.
    The eye and the beak, and the short feathers are gorgeous. Good thing I can't swallow the whole monitor. Or sad thing.

The acrylic painting with a black-capped chickadee is lovely. I'm charmed with lighthearted nature of this bird. I love the cold colors and texture of the tree, Oh, it's wonderful, I can feel it smoothness.
    I appreciate that you made a photo of the painting on this very tasty bench too. The colors, the atmosphere, the temperature. They match perfectly. good eye.
    BTW, how did you paint them? from life, ref, any other way?
    See you, Craig, talk more to me, it's more fun this way, double fun, art and arguing!!!!
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great news about the art profile.
    That artrage piece of the kingfisher really worked awesome. Keep them coming

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very very nice work you got here. I fuckin love the oil paintings in the 5th page. Amazing. How much do you sell them for? I'm interested in becoming a gallery artist some day. Take care and keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lukavi - thanks for stopping in! yeah, i seem to have some strange avian fixation. i might need an intervention soon enough

blacky - glad to have you many thanks

comixnut - birds in cups? did they last long? thanks for the kind words btw. i really appreciate it

sve - thanks sve. Well, that test nailed me as a beatles person, so it might be accurate after all. ok, theme closed (fbi thing was a reference to elvis working with the gov). I'm glad to hear you liked the update. Even if I don't manage a half-decent response, I look forward to your posts. yep, the falcons were from refs

craig d - many thanks. I'm quite fond, for a change, of that kingfisher as well

orozc0- thank you. it varies, a lot. most painting I do are far smaller, and I seem to have settled in at 300 for a 12x16 oil

-------------------------------

I've been spending most of my time and effort writing a field guide to connecticut birds. It'll cover identification of 200+ species along with a ton of artwork and interesting info etc. It should work out.

I'll probably do the identification illustrations using Painter. This is an example, but IGNORE THE FONT/the text -- i just slapped it there while I was testing some things out.

i intended on filling up every nook and cranny on this page, but I have to leave for Orlando tomorrow. So, instead I decided to post it.

btw, my gf's in there somewhere

i tried making a pastel out of the drawing above just as a soft pastel refresher, but I'm not so happy with it

Metrosexual Pirate from last weeks Character of the Week contest.

Thanks for looking! I'm off for a week in Orlando now.

-Craig

Last edited by Craig Houghton; June 26th, 2006 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe. I really like the face on this'n, but the clothes don't even compare to it. I think I voted for this one, but I'm not sure...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the paint quality of the metro pirate, I think there's kind of a disconnect between the face and the body tho. The hands feel too small for the face and the face feels a bit more polished than the rest.
    There's a lot of really fun stuff goin on here, love those faces. Your birds and life studies are gorgeous!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

aloha and whatnot

Pixel and Andy - Many thanks. I'm not sure if I'll bother fixing that pirate up, but as you both noticed, the clothes and the rest just didn't get the same attention.

I've recently moved and whatnot. My studio area had to wait while we juggled boxes and such, but I should be back in action. Here's some stuff from the past couple:

the bird thing continues (also working on a t-shirt design with a bunch of birds and a logo, but so far that hasn't resurfaced since moving)

couple of inches on some scrap paper, but it's grown on me for some reason

yesterday I decided to try and enter the CHOW, but I missed the deadline. I had a great time with this one -- it's probably just relief at having a studio area again

drawing and charcoal pencil lines for the paintshop version done over the drawing

and a tufted titmouse

Thanks for looking!
    Craig

Last edited by Craig Houghton; June 26th, 2006 at 05:14 PM.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.