Thanks

Is it okay to take breaks?

I've been trying to draw everyday for like the past month or so when I decided to get back into learning art more seriously. However, there are some days when I'd just like to take a break and play a videogame for once... but that makes me feel super guilty, like I'm purposefully hindering my learning process. Thoughts? Is it okay to take breaks every now and then? A small part of me is saying that it would actually be beneficial to take a day or two off every now and then, to let your brain kind of assess everything you've learned. But then whenever I get back to it I can't help but feel super rusty again... and it takes me so long to warm up.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You don't necessarily have to spend many hours drawing every day. You can draw a little bit and then you have the time to do something else. I find it's still good to draw some every day because it's super easy to fall off the routine.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anton Juntunen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Take your breaks. But the less you work, the slower your progress will be. If you don't aim to be a professional artist, that's totally okay.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacegryphon View Post
    If you don't aim to be a professional artist, that's totally okay.
    That is actually what I'm aiming for.

Thanks
    If you want to become a professional, work like one. Make a schedule (incl. breaks) and stick to it. Which means, you also have to work if you don't want to.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spacegryphon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Try doing at least 15-20 minutes (adjustable, but shouldn't be too straining) every day (or whatever your schedule is) and tell yourself you can stop if you don't gain the momentum after this time. You usually will, but if you don't, you know you have at least tried and likely improved at least a tiny bit; this might help alleviate that feeling of guilt.
    Last edited by onemax; December 17th, 2017 at 06:57 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to onemax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There are many arguments for taking breaks that it actually helps during a learning process. I'm not a fan of breaks myself however because I think it's super useful to create a rhythm and routine. The problem with taking a break when you feel like it means that you let your emotions dictate when you work or not. That can be a risky path to go down because sometimes you wont feel like drawing but you still should. So if you want to take breaks (which people say is healthy) than I would make sure to incorporate the breaks in your schedule and not do them when you feel like it. For instance 1/2 set days a week where you only draw for an x amount of minutes/hours, this way you will still have a routine that you can stick to but also still take breaks.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You can take days off. You need time to think about the principles behind what you're learning. Even marathon trainers have a day off once a week. I don't believe art is all about grinding. You can draw and draw and draw, do 100 studies of boxes in perspective, heads, still life, whatever. And not really get anywhere.

So from that perspective it's not really about how many hours you do, but how many hours you do well with discipline and focus. Obviously we need to practice a lot. But if you're tired of drawing and you'd rather play video games, then play video games! It would be better to rest, than to do bad work (I mean mindless work).

On the other hand though, I don't know anyone that can't sketch for 10-15 minutes a day. It would at least allow you to keep your momentum.

In the end it's whatever is going to work for you personally, I'm just kind of playing devil's advocate.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    this doesnt exactly relate to your question, but give it a read. its comforting to know other people struggled through the same shit and came out on top.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/240418-Aha-Epiphany-moments/page2
    Last edited by Giantano; December 19th, 2017 at 03:58 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Giantano For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes you can take them. Games can inspire your new drawings/paintings, so it's not a bad thing. Sometimes you need a break from anything since it can mess you completely up. I personally think it's about how much improve, if two people draw for 10 hours a day its doesn't mean they'll improve equally, some learn faster than others. And those pro guys, well they're pro because they have plenty of time to practice and it's probably their job.