Thanks

Cool Your best quick tips for artists...

Anything goes. Here are some of my favorites I have collected over the years from various sources.

1. Don't bother answering people who ask you what your art means. Those people are idiots
    2. If someone compliments your art constantly, but never buys any of it, cut these people out of your life, they are a waste of time.
    3. Don't copy someone else's style.

- Giger's agent, Leslie Barany

1. Double the price of unsold work every year it does not sell.

- I forget where this one is from. Harley Brown's agent I think?

"Always keep your old art, or photos of it. It's important that you are able to see yourself progressing"

"Have multiple works in progress at all times so you can quickly switch projects if you're stuck"

Eric K Olsen - My Highschool Art Teacher, Mariner Highschool

I like these quotes because they annihilate common newbie misconceptions about how to sell art or who to try and pursue as a client. As artists we have so little time as it is. Many of us work part time or full time jobs just to make ends meet. There are so many non-creative types who want to suck the energy and the glamour out of artists without giving them anything in return, and they are as common as flies. I really love Leslie's quote here, but I feel it needs some explanation.

If someone constantly drops hints that they "might" buy this or that work, but they never drop any cash, cut them out of your life, they are trying to manipulate you into paying them attention. These people will end up being a huge pain in the ass in the long run.

Recently I ran into one of these types who wanted to keep hinting around that he wants to buy this work, or that work, or commission something from me, but he also revealed he is starved for attention. He is trying to flash bribes to try to get me to pay more attention to him, and I am beginning to hate him and resent him for it, as he asks question after question about things which he does not need to know the answer to, since he has no intention of following through. I really HATE people who waste my time on purpose like this. I do not mind giving my friends attention, but I dislike this dishonesty, it speaks to poor character. As long as someone is willing to say "I can't afford your work, but I would love to talk to you" that is just fine.

I think many young artists will allow themselves to be strung along by people like this. I am old and salty and I have seen this type of person many times. Trust me - they are not worth it. Hang up on them, close your chat with them, and go paint. They will go find another victim to suck off of.

These people have sacrificed themselves for something in life and now they seek to add "artists" to their life as some sort of accessory to make them feel more cultured, artistic, spiritual, whatever - but they do not want to pay the price.

There are MANY people out there who need you but are willing to cough up the cash to have a piece of you and your hard work. Wait for those patrons, the others will just bleed you dry as they are vampires. I have seen it before.

If someone likes your art, they will close the sale almost immediately. They will not string you along for weeks at a time. Buying art from an artist feels really good. It's such an amazing item to own. Feel good about selling your art because the buyer will feel good about it too, and it's worth it to them.

Finally, what Leslie means by being asked what your art means - visual art came into being because words did not suffice. If we could use words to explain what our art meant, there would be no need for it. Duh!

Now, let's hear your advice.
    Last edited by Izi; December 15th, 2017 at 06:08 PM.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Try to maintain a positive attitude.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ( ´ ▽ ` ) View Post
    Try to maintain a positive attitude.

About what, exactly?
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Izi View Post
    About what, exactly?
    Hi, sorry for the late response.

But, I'd say everything- not having any negative influence from comparing yourself to others in a discouraging sense or doubting your own progress, etc. Hope that made sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 672 Posts
    I did not wish to take a cabin passage, but rather to go before the mast and on the deck of the world, for there I could best see the moonlight amid the mountains. I do not wish to go below now.
    Henry David Thoreau