Thanks

Academic vs conventional

Hello,
    I always wondered, what's the difference between Academic Drawing and Conventional or Traditional drawing...What would you highlight about?? is the organic and constructed forms they make the difference? shading? the difference is it in the principle of Academic art itself??....How can i stay away from those cheap looks of traditional art and make some steps towards academic look.
    N.B
    The words valuable and cheap they just represent only my personal point of view.
    Thank you

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I do think all comes down understanding foundations, but you should check this out: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...art-education)

Thanks
    Hi,
    I think your answer needs more development....the link you put it it's about European Academic Realist school VS Russian Academic school based on construction.
    Thank you anyway for trying to help
    Last edited by MedMahogany; December 11th, 2017 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks
    If Academic art is mentioned today, it's usually referring to teaching stemming from the French school in the 19th century. People often call academic art conventional as an insult, so it's not exactly a synonym. Traditional could be referring to Academic art, but now a days it's often used to distinguish digital art, from non digital (paint, pencils etc.) so this can be confusing.

What I would say characterizes academic art, whether it's French style, Italian, or Russian, is structured learning. Discipline, and principle. Not any one technique like shading or sight-size. By definition it is something you might learn in an academy (but not a contemporary university, they don't teach in this way anymore). This leads to a rather rigid set of rules or conventions for your art that must be adhered to while learning which is why academic art is sometimes called conventional.

If you are looking specifically for more about Academic Art look for the book The Classical Atelier by Juliette Aristides. If you are mostly just interested in improving your own paintings and making them a higher standard, this is the place. This forum isn't for academic art, necessarily, but it critiques along some of the same standards.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I putted that link there just because you can see what kind of academies is out there (pros and cons of each), by foundations I mean no matter what school you come from if you dont know those I dont think you can produce realistic art
    There is also book about russian system as well in english: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.fi/201...n-english.html

Thanks
    Um, Academic Art IS traditional art. If you mean "untrained" art, well, yah, it looks shitty because the artist has not been trained. Self training can only take you so far. Any Academic Artist can mimic a more rustic, less polished style.

Academic art teaches how to create any look you want, mastering the media.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra