Thanks

Arrow If you could ask a professional artist ANYTHING, what would you ask?

Hi!

So as the title says, if you are given the chance to ask a professional artist (painter, digital, sculptor, any) any question about their field and their life, what would you ask?
    The reason I ask this is because I'm in the process of creating a documentary series called "The Life of an Artist" where I document and explore the lives of variety of artists, but before I start meeting up with these artists I'd like to see what my target audience - you guys, would want to see and hear! I want this series to be entertaining, but also informative to other aspiring artists and thought this forum would be a great place to ask for input.

BTW, I'm not just here to ask for help, I really enjoy art (especially digital ) and would love to become a part community aha. I can't say I'm any good at drawing myself, but I sure do enjoy seeing them. Also, if film counts as art then, I'm not too horrible at it

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I've met professional and world-renown artists at Comic Cons, art galleries and other art events. There typically wasn't sufficient time to have much of a conversation, but I would have asked about the genesis of specific works of theirs. I love reading about or hearing about or seeing how an artwork came to be, especially for scenes or portraits or figure poses that are not from a typical angle or position. One artist told me that for some of his figure paintings, he accomplished them "by drawing from a set of mirrors on the floor and thereby getting very different perspectives on the model" and that "for this pose her left arm (that we don't see) was holding onto a rope tied to the rafters to allow her to lean back so far."

One of my favorite painters, Max Ginsburg, had an entire 6-7 page article on the genesis of just one of his paintings:

Name:  Ginsburg.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  93.1 KB

It showed the early versions of the painting, mentioned that some models went out of country during the creation of the painting and were thus removed, included reference photographs taken for some of the poses, and depicted the changes made to the composition. It is remarkable seeing the evolution of a painting from start to finish.