Thanks

Sculpture photo study

Hello! Would like some critique on this photo study of a sculpture I did. From my perspective it looks ok, but I feel like there's more I could add to it and things that I'm lacking, just not sure what.

Would like advice mostly on hair, better edge work, values, and what I should be looking for or trying to do when doing a study of any kind. But overall I would love any advice!

Also included the photo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6a64d071826fa0b0ec83e127ed5768fb--girl-reading-girls.jpg 
Views:	1244 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	2272999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sculpture head study.jpg 
Views:	1094 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	2272998

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey,
    I really like the piece. it's unique and almost on point with the real thing. in the drawing, you have the face a bit shorter than the sculpture and this makes the ear higher up as you put it.also, the forehead is shorter (trust me drawing a longer forehead looks weird at first) but it makes it more realistic looking. try gridding the photo (like putting it into even squares with a ruler and pen) then the work surface you use to get exact portions (work 1 square at a time. cover the rest up with sticky notes or something temporarily) this will help with the realistic look, portions, and get in the shadows correctly. Since your working with the face and head only I would crop that then square out that cropped image. also on the side mess around with a bit of darker hues perhaps a bit more grays.by playing around with how the darker hues of gray blend you will be more confident about using the darker shades and know how dark is too dark (when it starts to blend with background). also, be careful to notice all shadows playing across the sculpture. you are losing the 3d look of the face due to the lack of shadows that are ever to light. as for the hair the texture you have put into it look really nice, maybe go back in with a bit darker gray (not too much) and clean up the lines a bit in the back of the bun and few at the front of the hair.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by May Roze View Post
    hey,
    I really like the piece. it's unique and almost on point with the real thing. in the drawing, you have the face a bit shorter than the sculpture and this makes the ear higher up as you put it.also, the forehead is shorter (trust me drawing a longer forehead looks weird at first) but it makes it more realistic looking. try gridding the photo (like putting it into even squares with a ruler and pen) then the work surface you use to get exact portions (work 1 square at a time. cover the rest up with sticky notes or something temporarily) this will help with the realistic look, portions, and get in the shadows correctly. Since your working with the face and head only I would crop that then square out that cropped image. also on the side mess around with a bit of darker hues perhaps a bit more grays.by playing around with how the darker hues of gray blend you will be more confident about using the darker shades and know how dark is too dark (when it starts to blend with background). also, be careful to notice all shadows playing across the sculpture. you are losing the 3d look of the face due to the lack of shadows that are ever to light. as for the hair the texture you have put into it look really nice, maybe go back in with a bit darker gray (not too much) and clean up the lines a bit in the back of the bun and few at the front of the hair.
    Personally I'd never reccommend the grid method, it tends to dissociate the artist from the subject matter. Because of this there is limited to no learning about the actual form and the natural proportions don't stick in your memories when you're just looking at it as one line after another instead of a continuous image.
    What I'd reccommend instead is to draw a loose sketch making sure you're not zoomed in on anything, pay attention to the negative space around the head and how things are placed in relation to eachother but not just trying to get each bit right on it's own straight away. Placing things in relation to others is the first thing to do, after that you can adjust their finer details to resemble the referance image more. I can see how you look at the image by lookng at each segment seperately, the eye for instance is too far back and seems sunken into the skull but looking at just the eye by itself it looks fine. What I'm saying is don't forget to measure out things and look at things as a whole instead of getting too lost in each detail.

Another thing I'd mention is to push your values a bit more, deeper shadows can give you more of a crisp feel to it as well as making those little nuances in the planes of a smooth surface possible.

Lastly one thing that I really noticed are the lines on the hair, after you have carefully painted the face and those locks of hair in the front; why would you do such rash lines for the hair in the back? Doing them a bit more carefully would do a lot for the general believability of the hair.

Thanks
    Dont be afraid to use darker values in your palette to really accentuate the shape and form. I like to take of digital paintings and convert them to grayscale, it really helps to see if something is looking flat and if I should go in with more lights or darks

Thanks
    Thank you so much for the feedback you guys! I'll be sure to use more darker values and check my proportions!