13. Mysterious 13. Drunken 13. Pirate
    14. Orc 14. Eccentric 14. Traveller
    15. Fortune Telling 15. Rainbow 15. Volcano God
    16. Animal Headed 16. Rockabilly 16. Superhero
    17. Flying 17. Steampunk 17. Witch Doctor
    18. Blind 18. Cyberpunk 18. War Veteran
    19.Underwater 19. Kabuki 19. Clown
    20.Demonic 20. Chainsaw 20. Tomb Raider

Trying something different this round, could be a success, or if it's a total flop we will never speak of it again.

Pick one entry from each column. (you can add further words from the table to your selection if you like.)
    You can find random number generators online, or just pick a combination that you like.

Examples:
    Holy, Hip - Hop, Babysitter: In the dark backstreets of the projects underprivileged children are a prime target for the unholy creatures of the night to prey on. With more gold chains than Mr T, all with crucifixes on them, the holy hip hop babysitter can be hired to stay the night and protect your children from dark forces, exorcising evil with his blessed chainsaw.

Beautiful, Alien, Volcano Goddess:
    A cold planet sits far form its native sun, life only survives there due to thermal activity beneath its surface - a fiery Goddess who bestows heat and life on her people. Kind and generous, the unusual atmosphere on the planet causes her to burn with a beautiful green colour.

No words are set in stone, for instance I cam up with "Holy" and "Babysitter" and thought of an exorcist who protects children, and who happens to like hip -hop. Gender specific words can be ignored too, God can also be Godess, etc.

Edit: Random character generator courtesy of Kyllswitch: https://codepen.io/Kyll55/pen/MORewY

- Humanoid, male or female
    - Pick one word from each column
    - (optional) add as many other words from the table as you like.

The Rules:
    - FINALS: Must post in finals thread before the deadline
    - KNEES UP: Must show at least 3/4 of the character, from at least the knees up.
    - FRONT VIEW: Must be able to see the front of design. No back views without a front.
    - WIPS: Must show at least 2 work in progress shots with final entry.
    - READABLE: Design must be readable, as in a 3D model could be made from your image.
    - ONLY ONE: May only submit one entry. No multiple submissions.
    - 3D: Must be originally created models, excluding primitives. 3D paint-overs permitted. If you choose to use 3D in whole or in part you must show a screenshot of the model in 3D software with final entry.
    - UNACCEPTABLE: These are not permitted: Photos, photo paint-overs, photobashing, pre-made or purchased 3D
    models
    , rushed works/ rough sketches.
    - NEW USERS: Must submit entries by 6pm GMT on due date, due to conceptart.org's moderation process:

- DESIGN: Design your character for the brief, not your personal fetish. Nudes without some design are not permitted.
    - READ: Read through the threads; there may be answers to your questions already posted.
    - FUN: Have fun!

Last edited by Moirae; December 5th, 2017 at 10:55 AM.
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey it can be great! the opportunity to take out my dice. And the result is.....
    Insane/Aristocratic/Vampire Lord.

Oh my god how can i do that... time to sketch.
    edit : First try
    CHOW 442 Pick n Mix CharacterCHOW 442 Pick n Mix CharacterCHOW 442 Pick n Mix Character
    CHOW 442 Pick n Mix Character
    Last edited by GUILLAUMEDELOR; December 4th, 2017 at 05:49 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GUILLAUMEDELOR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Looks like a lot of fun this round. I went with 'One-Armed', 'Heavily-Armored', and 'Librarian'. I think I like the general idea that I have so far, but not sure about style. I know the tighter sketch has more accurate proportions, but I do like feel of the loose sketch even though his head is a bit small and his limbs a bit long...

As an aside, might anyone be able to tell me how to make my pictures show directly, instead of as a small attachment?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrightLyncis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like subject this week. I made a random character generator for this week if anyone is interested. I thought it would save time and help people come up with unexpected combinations:

https://codepen.io/Kyll55/pen/MORewY

Think I might try a Kung fu Rainbow Serial Killer. Good start guys!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KyllSwitch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrightLyncis View Post
    As an aside, might anyone be able to tell me how to make my pictures show directly, instead of as a small attachment?
    In the attachment feature, drag all the images you want to the bottom box, make sure the tick box is selected in the corner of each and then click insert inline at the bottom. Hope that helps.

GUILLAUMEDELOR: I think you got a combination that really matches, vampire, aristocrat and insane all go hand in hand, but perhaps a little too well? You could add another word ontop of all that to add a bit of chaos to your design brief.

Kyllswitch: Well done on the character generator, I cannot even begin to understand how you did that. Posted a link at the top too.
    Last edited by Moirae; December 5th, 2017 at 10:59 AM.

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    BrightLyncis Maybe you can add some book or epic tome just like trophy to accentuate the "librarian" word.
    Moirae Yes. My combination work so good. But it's difficult to add a new word at this step... i don't know which one to add.
    Last edited by GUILLAUMEDELOR; December 5th, 2017 at 12:30 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GUILLAUMEDELOR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Going with the first entry from each column that caught my attention (so mostly from the top ): Holy Gothic Serial Killer.

Kinda struggling the the anatomy at the moment. I want it to look a bit alien, with exaggerated features (a bit too thin but long, long legs). I'm kinda happy with what I came up with, but I'm kinda scared it might just look wrong later in the process. Guess I'll look at it again with fresh eyes in the morning...

As for her story - it's pretty simple. A former assassin who at some point decided she couldn't live with her past turned to faith. Old habits die hard (much harder than her enemies anyway), so now she hunts outspoken atheists and cuts a tally mark in her arm for murder she commits. After killing she burns the bodies. Some might argue she's having some mental issues...
    Name:  CHOW442_HolyGothicSerialKiller_01.png
Views: 1145
Size:  177.7 KB

Thanks
    PutHaKyun Haha awesome design at the moment She remember me Harley Queen a little bit. For the long and thin leg with alien feeling maybe you can pick "clown" word and add some long symbiotic stilts ? don't know if it help you or not.
    I'm at this step for mine
    CHOW 442 Pick n Mix CharacterCHOW 442 Pick n Mix Character
    Last edited by GUILLAUMEDELOR; December 6th, 2017 at 09:51 AM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GUILLAUMEDELOR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    GUILLAUMEDELOR: He's not coming across as insane to me at the moment. I would have thought he would be laughing maniacally or something like that. You could swap it for "animal headed" as you have a bat thing going already. You could push it more and have his head really bestial.

PutHaKyun: Proportions look fine to me, her legs don't seem especially long to my eye, I think the big thick belt and dress might be confusing where the belt / crotch sits. One thing, she does look like she is standing on tiptoe rather than standing normally in high heels.

Brightlyncis: The limbs look fine to me, in fact I think the legs could do with being a little longer, especially the lower half.

I made this whilst giving a critique on the critique threads a while ago, might be completely wrong, but it's how I measure torso and leg lengths.

Name:  harajukeg copy.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  242.7 KB

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm up for the challenge. I rolled the dice to see what exactly what it is that I'll be drawing and it appears that it will be an "Anime Steampunk Necromancer". This should be fun.

Thanks
    So I rolled the dice and got Multiple Armed, Masked Blacksmith! This is what I came up with.
    It's some alien/demon blacksmith woman.

Made a few process pictures too along with it

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamatniekss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I present to you something I never thought I'd ever draw: Kung Fu Centaur Blacksmith.

Name:  kungfucentaurblacksmith.png
Views: 1028
Size:  150.8 KB

I hope it's readable enough. I know it might look a bit rough, but all of my paintings do. I'm not very good at detailing my paintings. I just don't have the eyes for it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ehecod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the visual. I use to way over-exaggerate legs, even when I didn't intend to, so to get out of the habit I made myself draw to normal human scale, which is closer to 7 heads, I think. But you're right that ideal proportions look a bit better, so I think I will go with 8.

Thanks
    BrightLyncis: The only thing that feels out of place is the glowing green books in mid-air. Not seeing what they have to do with any of your keywords yet. I think it may suit you to trim some stuff so the design is more focused, like getting rid of the ball-and-chain and trying a pose where the arm is somehow directly involved with the books (carrying a stack, flipping through the pages of one, etc.). Giving him a magical ghost arm kinda feels like skirting around the restraint of your keyword See how far you can go with designs that do have just one arm.

PutHaKyun: Try making the distance from the hips down to the feet twice as long as the upper half of her body if you really want to exaggerate. Also, look at Sailor Moon characters for examples of reeeaaally long legs. Exaggeration rarely looks wrong as long as you make it obvious to the audience you aren't going for realism

GUILLAUMDELOR: Can't get over how cool this is Especially the batwing collar. I agree that the Insanity is still missing. The calm pose suggests otherwise (even though it's perfect for Aristocratic). Insanity is kinda difficult to show in a still image because it can manifest in a lot of different ways. I guess think about what insane things he does regularly?

aamatniekss: Only thing I'm wondering is why she doesn't have a flaming hammer in all 4 hands

Ehecod: The kung fu seems to be missing still, though I honestly have no idea how you'd work that in when he's not shaped like a normal person (what would a horse performing kung fu even look like???). Guess it sort of depends on what you want to portray. I'd think it'd be hard to show him forging and doing martial arts all at once, so I guess one of those keywords would have to take a backseat. Maybe there's a passive way to express the other keyword.

Hoping people can tell which words I used without saying (if not then I guess it needs more work, lol ).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Loomis
    You may question why we do not at once proceed to the finished, smooth, round form. The answer is that in a drawing or painting, something of the individual procedure and structural quality should remain... It is the big form that does the job--not the little and exact.
    Homepage | Dribbble | Art Blog | CA Sketchbook

Fire With Fire (Steam) [2D Artist]

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ehecod: Surely a kung fu blacksmith would beat the metal with his bare hands!

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm really not the best person to be giving feedback, but I'll give it a try.

Noun:
    Love the use of color, and the overall feeling of the piece, but it's kinda hard to read to me. I think he's wearing armor and maybe clown shoes...? I think it will turn out awesome if you can add some detail that will sell the story you're going for.

Ehecod: I don't think you really need to add a lot of detail to sell a picture, but there are some minor mistakes you could easily fix. The placing of his feet suggest he's standing on a bit of a slope, and the... ember(? - English isn't my first language, but I'm talking about the thing the sword is placed on) seems further away. I think he's holding the hammer backwards too. Maybe add like a kungfu sweatband (or whatever they're called ). It might not be quite as 'kung fu' as it could be just yet. Otherwise it's turning out pretty cool!

aamatniekss: Awesome! All I can think of is that you could put his two extra arms to work somehow. Maybe give him some extra tools to hold.

GUILLAUMEDELOR(!): Love it! It's gonna turn out awesome! I love the style and all the little details. Shows you really thought about the character. Don't really have any feedback, other than that maybe his lower left (our right) leg kinda siggests he might be holding the cane in his wrong hand ;-).

Thanks for the feedback on the proportions. I exaggerated the length of the legs a bit more without going overboard, I think. This is where I am right now:

[Edit: removed the old version, it's pretty similar to the one below and takes up too much space]

Still needs some work, but I'm mostly gonna add a little more detail before finishing up.

Edit: Obviously I think the word 'awesome' is pretty awesome.

Edit 2: Changed my mind. I was gonna change up the sash around her waist, but I kinda like the pure white. I think it actually fits the concept better.
    Name:  CHOW442_HolyGothicSerialKiller_03_m.png
Views: 631
Size:  295.9 KB

Also, for the second WIP I skipped before, the lineart :
    Name:  CHOW442_HolyGothicSerialKiller_lines.png
Views: 633
Size:  75.1 KB

Edit 3: Won't submit this one to the finals, cause you know - "ONLY ONE: May only submit one entry. No multiple submissions" - but I had fun with this round, so I rolled the dice once more..Name:  20171208_OneArmedMaskedLibrarian.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  41.2 KB

The one armed masked librarian.
    Last edited by PutHaKyun; December 10th, 2017 at 04:52 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to PutHaKyun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Woaw great work everybody. I really like this pick and mix poll.
    Thank you all for your advices.
    I've trouble for the moment with the "insane" word but i work on that.

Edit from 12/13/2017
    Moirae : Ok i understand why i have trouble with the "insane" word. I guess it's because of my native language (i am French). I translated "insane" as a "Woaw" effect and not like the madness.

That's why i'm going to take everything back and add more "insane" things like blood syringes planted in his body like constant blood infusions. And i try to add "Demonic" word in the design.
    (you can also read notes in French)
    Last edited by GUILLAUMEDELOR; December 13th, 2017 at 09:06 AM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GUILLAUMEDELOR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    And here is a more "insane" aristocratic Vampire lord.
    The characters in the background will be, i think and i hope, ghostly characters who must represent the many voices heard by a psychopath.
    The corpses in heigh must represent, reserve of blood
    CHOW 442 Pick n Mix CharacterCHOW 442 Pick n Mix Character
    Last edited by GUILLAUMEDELOR; December 16th, 2017 at 05:10 AM.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GUILLAUMEDELOR For This Useful Post: