Thanks

Free Art tutorial

Name:  joinnow_cover.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  218.2 KB

You can find more free art tutorials at my youtube channel. or visit my artstation https://www.artstation.com/camilkuo

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This isn't a tutorial but a watch me paint clip, I'm getting so tired of these kind of clips with misleading titles. You can't learn much from this.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beezball For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Totally understood. I guess it's like when I watched those grand masters doing art, but felt 99% of the tutorial is about how to live a life as an artist instead of sharing much of their skill, but there were ppl who found it useful, so I guess it's really different from person to person.

Thanks
    It's not really different from person to person. If I open up Corel Painter I have tons of premade brushes like the ones you created. It's nothing special. You really didn't explain much about how to use these brushes and the techniques you're using. And yes it is a watch me paint video, not much explanation there. I would like it if you didn't fast forward the painting process and explained every step you're doing, kinda like how Bob Ross did it.

There are already tons of watch me paint/draw tutorials but they're nothing special and I'm serious about it. That was the reason why I gave up on art. I bought tutorials but I also got pirated material after a while, they really didn't help me out because they didn't explain too much. If you;re doing a tutorial targeting beginners assume your students are complete beginners and are starting right from 0.

Me being a 3d artist made it even worse for me since I can make 3d artworks in 3d but not in 2d. The reason was because I didn't understood much about drawing since no one in a tutorial mentioned it.

IMHO if the instructor doesn't explain what he did and how he did it the tutorial isn't good. Some people do have great skills but they're bad teachers, just because a person has won a championship in a fighting art doesn't mean he can be a good teacher.

. I guess it's like when I watched those grand masters doing art, but felt 99% of the tutorial is about how to live a life as an artist instead of sharing much of their skill
    I'm not sure about which old master you're talking but I don't think its true. I've subbed to New Masters Academy and one of those old teachers there is Glenn Vilppu, he really doesn't talk about how to live a life as an artist. Neither do the other instructors, they're really straight forward.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beezball For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wow thank you so much for a lot of feedback! I just started doing tutorials 3 weeks ago. Yes I'm confused about how to teach as I don't look at things the same before I was into digital drawing/painting/creating. And yea that's absolutely true good teachers don't need to be good in the skill at all! And yes most of my videos which without the creating process are actually for intermediate artists, so I don't call them as creating process video, but I think most important thing is it's FREE. Not like those who charges you expensively but then you feel like losing $ and didn't get things out from it enough.
    Anyway, it's good you found some teachers that're useful in the perspective you prefer!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by camilkuo View Post
    wow thank you so much for a lot of feedback! I just started doing tutorials 3 weeks ago. Yes I'm confused about how to teach as I don't look at things the same before I was into digital drawing/painting/creating. And yea that's absolutely true good teachers don't need to be good in the skill at all! And yes most of my videos which without the creating process are actually for intermediate artists, so I don't call them as creating process video, but I think most important thing is it's FREE. Not like those who charges you expensively but then you feel like losing $ and didn't get things out from it enough.
    Anyway, it's good you found some teachers that're useful in the perspective you prefer!
    You really have to put yourself into the shoes of a beginner. Just assume that they know absolutely nothing about painting and drawing. Free isn't really always a good thing. There are many people on YouTube trying to teach but imho they're not a good source to learn from. While if you take for an example New Masters Academy, they do have pro's teaching there you can sign up for $39 and to be honest, $39 isn't really that much. Especially for the quality instruction you'll get.

I used to buy a lot of drawing books before I gave up, and they all had one issue. The author really doesn't tell you what to do. They explain theory, they show you their process and in almost all the cases you're totally clueless on what to do. It lacks instructions, jump to the next page and you'll see that the author has added more details to the drawing - but how?!?! What did he do? He doesn't explain.

Thanks
    I see. I thought ppl now a day need less beginner stuffs since there're so many of them on youtube (but I didn't take a closer look, so I don't know about the quality). Well, at least free means one doesn't need to take the risk at all.
    By the way you should check out my newest video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1eDxMwZvWY&t=3s
    I'm confidence it'll offer you something. Btw, it's probably better for you to do face to face or real time instruction to really hit your needs.

Thanks
    Most drawing stuff on YouTube isn't that good, they focus on different things.

I've checked your new video but to be honest, in my opinion it's not the best way to paint. Here is why; you started immediately paining as in doing a silhouette. Thats a recipe for errors. Thats also the reason why many people have many errors in their drawings. Its hard to match and draw proper proportions if you start just like you did. In your painting, one eye is bigger than the other one, her lips are too big, her jawline looks very masculine, and the main issue is the lighting issue; like there is a light source shining light on her forehead but not on her hair so the hair looks like it was just cut 'n pasted there.

Couple days ago I was watching a tutorial for beginners on how to draw by Sheldon Borenstein. And he said; do you know why your drawings look awkward? Why your drawings suck? Because you didn't draw them in 3d first and used the contour lines for the proportions. And he's right about that, if you draw in 3d it's very easy to lay in the shadows and lights, it improves your paintings and drawings.

You simply cannot paint an eye or a nose where you like it, you need to use the contour lines for that. Couple days ago I was doing just some scribbles during my break at work, I drew a skull, I didn't do it in 3d and I didn't use contour lines. And when I was done I noticed that everything was out of proportion, the eyes aren't on one line, the entire thing isn't even symmetric. If I used contour lines and had drawn it in 3D it would look much better.

I really can recommend you to learn to draw first before you paint, I;'ve seen this issue with many artists and teachers on YouTube. It doesn't matter how good anyone can paint, if there are for an example anatomy errors in your artwork, your painting skills cannot cover up for that not compensate for the errors.

Thanks
    Thanks for many suggestion. I believe every artist will find her/his own way of doing things. And yea I still have things to learn and improve.
    Last edited by camilkuo; December 24th, 2017 at 03:19 AM.