Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

C.O.W. #402- The Goat Lizard - WIPS Thread

For more info and details about the rules go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Round #402 The Goat Lizard

Topic:
    #402 The Goat Lizard!

There have been rumors. These rumors have been swirling in the small town of Groton about a grotesque creature living near the farmland of old Bill Stenson. There have been reports of livestock being slaughtered and one woman claims to have been chased by a creature that resembled a goat with a scaly, lizard-like body. It's ugly, it's scary, and it's not very nice.

Due Monday, December 4th at 10:00pm EST

Last edited by Bobby Rebholz; November 30th, 2017 at 02:51 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby Rebholz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I tried to do something quickly but i'm not satisfied. If it can inspire other Goat-Lizard..
    Last edited by GUILLAUMEDELOR; November 25th, 2017 at 08:51 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GUILLAUMEDELOR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great we have our first goat herder!
    Nice start and so fast of the starting block Gullaumedelor, you must have this beast beautifully trained Wonder what its milk tastes like?
    I like the pose but its all very goatish I think it needs more lizard characteristics, you have inspired me to have a go too.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEE! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you GEE. And here a ... Goat-Lizard. (i hope)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GUILLAUMEDELOR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cool topic. Nice start Guillaumedelor.
    Here is where I'm at. Next stop: lots and lots of scales...

Name:  gl_wip1.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  137.0 KB

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fabianguiza For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh God your Goat Lizard is awesome! i want to draw an another goat lizard now

Thanks
    Good starts everyone! I felt like getting back into the creature design game, and I've been on an art streak this weekend. Love to hear some critiques, and if I have some time I'll pass some around as well.
    Name:  Goat Lizard.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  171.2 KB
    64% of all percentages are made up on the spot.

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...06#post1686206

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyrus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey nice! I like to see the path of your brush. The only advice i can tell you is to add some scales just like me you have more Goat than lizard.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GUILLAUMEDELOR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    its really tricky trying to capture a goat feeling crossed with a lizard but I think you have achieved it quite well with your design Tyrus , I think some goat horns and maybe a goat udder for milk would help in adding more details and for leaning towards more of the lizard scales and a fork tongue
    Fabianguiza I love how much of a chameleon feel it has as well as the spikes they look great , nice horns too, what about udders goats have ugly great udders you could try some of them. Perhaps the neck needs some work maybe try it longer, Im not too sure about the colour you have picked its doesn't feel lizard like unless its a goat colorisation you're aiming for.
    Gullamedelor , nice to see it in colour, blue is strange for a goat so it makes it feel weirdly alien and lizard like, I think you could do with giving the scales some more attention as they look like blob marking in a fur coat , just finally detail a few at the front and work the others up a bit more and it should look good, you don't want to paint every single scale just give the impression of them by a tidy up. Oh and a blue udder perhaps?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GEE! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    what do you get if you radioatively cross a goat and a lizard ?
    Name:  goatzilla.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  330.7 KB
    GOATZILLA of course (with 50 foot high udders)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEE! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I had a go at drawing some goat combos to try and understand what a goat should be like, I wasn't happy with my direction I found it tricky trying to combine the two satisfactorily. I struggled , need a new approach and perhaps some teats and udders.
    Name:  goat n lizard.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  244.2 KB

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEE! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    in the end I settled on this look with udders proudly on show I might be mistaken but I think goats only have two teats not four
    Name:  goat lizard .jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  375.3 KB

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEE! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi, nice artwork guys, here is my concept & composition.
    Name:  stridiggio_The%u00252BGoat%u00252BLizard_402.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  90.1 KB

26. The Following User Says Thank You to stridiggio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice stuff GEE. So we can do several versions of the Goat Lizard ? I thought it was only one possible.
    Hey, Stridiggio can't wait to see more!
    edit : Inspired from the Goatzilla from GEE.
    Last edited by GUILLAUMEDELOR; November 28th, 2017 at 10:36 AM.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GUILLAUMEDELOR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Creatures are definitely not my forte but still gave it a go. Awesome ideas everybody!
    Name:  IMG_20171128_0002.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  241.3 KB

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anton Juntunen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Excellent work everyone and awesome to see so much action in COW again! Let's keep killing it! Here's my concept, I'm really excited to render this one out. Going to break my comfort zone and go right into color with this one. So far about 30 minutes in....
    Name:  COW402_GoatLizard_120117_C1w1.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  350.1 KB

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's my big ballzy color dive
    Name:  COW402_GoatLizard_120117_C1w2.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  295.2 KB

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Alright! I think that's it for this one =) I really enjoyed painting this concept out. As always, lots of experimenting. I used chalk brush and hard and soft round for this image. It was a lot better going right in working with color instead of doing the black and gray thing but I like both processes equally. I feel for the fastest results it's good to do the black and gray into color procedure, but going into color right away deems more vibrant color throughout the piece I feel. I might do another concept if time allows, but I'm going to take off to the CHOW now. Questions, comments, and critiques are welcomed.
    Name:  COW402_GoatLizard_120117_C1_Fini_web.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  301.7 KB

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi there, your works are getting better and better...and that is great!.

GEE!: I really like the last one. Also love the way you skecth all around.
    Guillaumedelor: is nice to see your progress too, actually I quite like your bluish GoatLizard than made me get in into this c.o.w. , and the last one also since it has a strong design!
    Lege1: It is so good, I like it! It has a comic style good driven by the Pose of the creature but scary sure it is; also I agree with your thoughts about color's process and of course you are fast and good at it too.
    MrJuntunen: I like the concept of your Goat and the type of Lizard than you choose too.

-
    I've been doing like thousand of scales today there and all the energy goes down so...zzzzzzzz.
    Nights & Cheers to everyone!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to stridiggio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Certainly the last one i do for this theme. But i think i gonna focus the COW cuz i need to level up in creatures design.
    Thanks Stridiggio i'm glad to give some ideas to another drawer.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to GUILLAUMEDELOR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome stuff everybody, I've never seen this many posts on a COW thread before! Maybe you could get even more people by advertising in the chatbox on the frontpage like DSG always does.

Here's my painted sketch:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171129_0001.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	2272113

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Anton Juntunen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lege1- super great work lots of character in the face....I see you have the dreaded white background...it really helps to lay down a solid mid tone on the canvas before you start, this helps prevent your colours being misguided by the dazzle of the white ..also I really really wanted to thank you for such a wonderful and helpful reply to me in the last post, to me you are one of the star on Also I want to second your appreciation of all the posting in these challenges, it really is great to see everyones work. Stidiggio - nice start its certainly scary! I see what you mean you have put a lot of effort into those scales I like the gesture but the form for me needs more defining , stronger sharper edges especially the vagueness of the feet .
    Guillaumedlor - wow! thats is a stunning pose really really love where your are headed with this! I'm not sure ...are we suppose to work on just the one? Opps I am a newbie, and I'm not able to really commit too much time just yet, as I love to draw and sketch ideas I tend to make several drawing of each subject to try and fill my sketchpads up faster, hense my goats entry being more of a herd. Somebody stop me if I'm doing wrong!!!
    MrJuntunen - those are great sketches really really love the one with splayed out legs really glad you went for colouring that one, really good goat like feature in all your heads.
    Well done to all.
    Last edited by GEE!; November 29th, 2017 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks
    I know its suppose to be full creatures here but I tried out one of my head drawing to see how it would look with a brightest lizard colouring on the market
    Last edited by GEE!; November 30th, 2017 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks
    Name:  LIZARD GOAT HEAD  experiment.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  368.5 KB
    Last edited by GEE!; November 30th, 2017 at 07:49 AM.

Thanks
    @GEE : Thanks man. I just checked and there are no indications against the fact to make several versions (surely because it is a WIP thread without votes)
    @Juntunen ; Your Goat Lizard is pretty good i love the colors

Thanks
    I'm extending the deadline until Monday, the 4th. I will be out of town tomorrow through Sunday and thought you would like the weekend to take some extra time on these goat lizards!

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Rebholz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bobby Rebolz: Very cool on the extension and very excited to see what comes next. You do an awesome job of coming up with new topics. Have happy and safe travels.

Guillaumedelor: Although the forum is just a w.i.p.s thread now, definitely still try to push yourself to bring something to final this way you get better and learn most by completing something entirely. The more images and experimentation you do, the better you'll get and fast too.The creature you have going now is a cool idea and the foreshortened dramatic perspective looks interesting, the only problem I'm seeing is that from a functional anatomical standpoint your creature looks like it would topple right over on it's face at it's first attempt of stepping forward. I would consider looking over the anatomy some more and see if you can assemble something more believable and from a functional standpoint in it's mechanics.

Gee: That giant Goatzard head is looking pretty awesome. It would indeed be quite the thing to see in real life while tripping on some shrooms, not promoting drug use in anyway, but just saying, lol. Not sure where you're going with that or if you're going to keep it illustrative but either way, definitely try and focus on rendering the forms of things more. You've got a good thing with the sketching but definitely focus more on trying to bring something to final also, using a broad range of values to describe form in your image.I'd also consider keeping the colors under control as well.The bright colors may work with the fun illusrative stuff, but the more serious concept renders that hold elements of realism are done by keeping the colors toned down and reserved for use of focal points in most cases. Too much bright color can really make the image unpleasing to look at, but to each their own. Thanks on the compliments my as well and glad you like my work. I have struggled terribly over the years to be able to do what you see me do in the times. I'm always striving to get better and convinced completely that things could always be better and nothing is ever good enough. Also, the white back ground is something that is seen often in the comic industry when displaying independant character features, so I decided to run with it, I get what you're saying about the midtone back ground but really like the look of the solid white for certain applications. Thanks again man! Real nice sketch work on your end too, the Godzilla play off is hilarious, lmao!

MrJuntunen: Thanks and I think you have a good idea on the advertising like the D.S.G. Hopefully the administrators see this and possibly acknowledge it.Really nice piece so far your style almost looks mosaic. I would definitely focus more on rendering form if you are not going for a stylized look and try to emphasize the light and shadow contrast piece a bit more to add more drama. The over all concept is cool though, I like the neck frill similar to the Basilisks.

Stridiggio: Thank you very much and I'm glad you are liking my piece. I had every intention of making this a terrifying creature that someone would be lucky to get away from.Yes, going directly into color seems to deem more vibrant results and also saves lots of time. I feel completing the images faster comes with time of just putting that much mileage in over the years. Good things take time to create indeed, but experience will speed the actual time of production up under any given circumstance. Your creature concept is good but I think the art side of things could use some more work. Consider not rendering out every single scale by hand if necessary; I know there is a cool dragon tutorial on Youtube and others that show as much but this is where texture overlays can come in handy. Focus on hand painting out the form of your creature along with contrast of lighting etc, and then attempt some photo texture overlays, you can always hand embellish over that for a more authentic digitally painted look. There are numerous ways to use texture overlays but you should not depend on them to make the work. You should paint out the majority of the work and only use the texture overlays for enhancement of the image. It's kind of like using spices in cooking, you don't want to over do it. Also, watch out when using the burn or dodge tool, linear dodge, or color dodge layer modes, it can really be over done quickly and make the color work look very unprofessional. Consider using an overlay layer and black and white values along with all the grays and a soft brush to make your contrast adjusments. Using a layer mask will allow more control if desired.

Lege1: You should really consider not redrawing the piece from the rough sketch if you don't have to. The process of painting is similar to drawing and you should get more comfortable with making on the fly adjustments. This will also aid you better in your tattoo work process as there is no eraser on the top of that tattoo machine when you are doing your thing.The contrast in your images has improved but you could still push for more of a punch with the lighting. You need to pay closer attention to proportions of things as you are apparently asymettrical minded by default programming. It's good you are taking Scorge's advice and finally using references more but the refences are useless if proportions are fuct. Yo should also start experimenting more with actual color theory arrangments like complimentary, triadic, etc. Just food for thought man.

Tyrus: I really like your fun coloring style and overall creature design. The creature strikes me as working as a more real world species that you'd actually run into in the wild. Everything is pretty convincing but I'd have another look at those front legs anatomy. I don't see those legs functioning well at all with how the elbow joints are making the arms jut out sideways. I think if you make a fix on that along with polising the image more you'd be looking pretty good with your entry man. All around very cool and I like the colors you've chosen being all earth toned out.

50. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lege1 Thanks for the comment, the lack of contrast in my paintings is something I've been trying to fight. I don't want to make the shadows black though. Also I like how you critiqued yourself there, that's an important aspect in getting better.
    Since the deadline is extended I did another one:
    Name:  IMG_20171201_0001.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  118.1 KB

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anton Juntunen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    MrJuntunen: You're welcome and this second entry looks great! When creating shadows in the work there is a few ways I go about it. One is to just put up a multiply layer and select a neutral color and do it that way. I think using the overlay layer and using black through white and all the grays probably works the best to digitally glaze in the shadows and actually darken the colors opposed to just putting a transparent layer of black or gray over the piece. You can do this by simply setting up a separate layer over your work and use a soft brush to add in the shadows, then use a hard eraser to erase parts that need a hard edge. I think it's also important to decide whether the light or shadows in your work are going to be cool or warm. Usually if the light is warm then the shadows are cool, and if the light is cool then the shadows may appear to be warm. Observing sunlight in nature scenes will show you this well especially if you conduct quick and simple studies of it in your medium of choice like watercolor, or acrylics; simple black and gray studies will teach you a lot in regards to lighting and contrast. A really great exercise is take some random objects from around the house that you don't mind throwing away, and simply spray paint them gray; you can then take these objects out in the sun and put them under a light and do really strong lighting studies. Doing some plein aire landscape painting, or just choosing certain areas to study in a garden or anywhere outdoors, really helps with lighting, color, and contrast. Anyway, I try to help where I can because I struggled a lot to even get where I am now , and I always believe in trying to improve. The true battle is finding the time to put in the work because you have to be financially stable as an adult to afford the time to be able to get away and do all these things I mention or even participate here; this is why I believe in trying to learn as much as you can while you are younger in whatever it is you do. Either way, I include myself in the critiques to look over my work more among an audience along with letting everyone know what I'm thinking about my own work. Keep up the good work man!

54. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks a bunch for the advice Lege1! Understanding value and lighting really is the key to rendering any forms to look life-like, and that's the next thing I should probably focus on. When working in Photoshop there's about a thousand ways to paint but I usually paint just like I would traditionally: everything on single layer and using only a simple selection of brushes, usually just hard rounds. These were done in gouache though and I don't suppose you have any tips on gouache techniques?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast