Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    GEE!: Thanks man, yes always good to see color. I feel personally that working up from grayscale into color can save a lot of time because you are able to focus on the values so much better in grayscale. Once you get a sketch down you can just set a new layer on top to multiply. In this case I just filled the entire multiply layer in with like an 85% gray or so, this way you can put highlights and stuff onto the multiply layer which I find really convenient. I really wanted to redraw the piece prior to going balls to the wall with the values, but I felt I had a strong enough foundation to go ahead and move forward. Infusing some reference into the piece would have been good too and I still may attempt that here in the color rendering process. Everything you see so far is strictly from imagination for the sake of production and time. Speaking of time, the week deadline is legit, most companies like Marvel will give artists like a week or so to finish their cover art, and that's going back and forth with editors and shyt. I feel a week should be plenty time to get a decent image together.

Scorge does it all the time and is known for coming with double entrees sometimes even triple or more which is crazy but he seems to have a superb process down that he is super comfortable with and can produce quickly all around. This illustration is going to probably have taken around 3 or 4 hours, but if I could work straight through I may have been able to complete it in a couple of hours. I feel a few hours is what it's going to take at the very least and that's really rushing to get to a final image. Obviously the more time the better cause you can go ahead and take your time looking things over and really bringing the image to a wonderful polish. I realize truly that there is no certain way to work for real, it's whatever works best for you. My ultimate goal is to just be able to dive in straight in color which I have done before and just bang the image out. Also for the record, I work on an old Intous 3 tablet that I love, and use Photoshop CS2 along with an old version of Painter IX. I don't use Painter that often but I sometimes like to take advantage of certain features in it like the blenders and some of the other mediums. I'm mostly comfortable in Photoshop, and really like to keep my brush economy simple and then leave everything else as an after thought. Alot of the other guys here will tell you in here that the hard round can go along way indeed. Hope that wasn't too much info but you seem interested so have at it man.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for such a well fleshed out reply, I am fearful of going in with the colours mainly because I over render the drawing stage and end up getting too precious with it, I admire your fast process. I know what my downfalls are I am slow and I agree a week should be plenty of time unless you have other draws on your time. Scorge is a beast ate unleashing his creative urges and all of these so fully rendered they look like a months worth of work judged by my pace. I am trying to spend some time and ease my way into challenges first few times its mainly about finding the best idea in the quickest way , work up some iterations and settle on an idea, then once I get that down to pat, I will concentrate on doing a couple of entries in nicely developed greyscale much like how you work...finally I will work on the colouring for entries.
    I loved Painter and still have the program but update my Mac and it has no disc drive so I haven't used it in many many years it has a wonderful painterly effect that PS fails to match ..also brush wise its best to stick with two or three and the plain old staple round is the almighty one to wield the most..especially at a beginners level. I actually need up with a serious serious pain in the wrist and arm this week from over using my drawing muscles, its is sooo painful I have had to rest for days with out touch a pen or tablet. First time ever Ive had it and it is a bit scary been reading top on it and I must take breaks and flex and stretch in a different range to what I settle into when drawing for hours and hours. BE WARNED all artists take that break!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GEE! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    GEE!: Thanks man and you're welcome. The best way I'd advise working in color is just stop seeing them as colors and look at the colors as different shades of gray. Percieving the color from this perception will unveil the illusion of them being so complex to work with. Dark blue is dark gray, blue is middle gray, and light blue is light gray. Use the saturation only at points of interest. This is what I concluded getting myself to jump right into color and thinking this way helps me a lot. Speed in your work will come in time, trust me it's taken me many years to get where I'm at with things. Focus on hard and soft edges in your work, mastering those the best you can is definitely going to speed things up. I'm convinced Scorge is an extra terrestial being. Just get an idea and run with it man, in my opinion spending too much time looking for the perfect anything can kill your creative flow and energy. By all means do a few thumbnails but just jump in and attack the shyt man, everything will come together during the process. Painter is definitely a cool program, but I prefer it as a side program not a main. You can get a lot of great painterly effects in photoshop but again, it's all about soft and hard edges. Try using some of the default photoshop chalk brushes and see how they work out for you. Experiment, experiment, experiment, with all the different settings. A great tip that Scorge told me as well is to stay zoomed out of the image and work it up. Only zoom in if you absolutely have to. This is going to help you so much. Yeah the round brush is like Thor's hammer Mjolnir. Defnitely use all the different transparent color modes when coloring gray scale work.

Overlay, soft light, and multiply are some of my most commonly used. Experiment to learn them up and see what they are best to be used for. Remember you can always desaturate the image also by creating a color layer and painting with black or white, so if an area is getting over worked in color just have at it on a color layer and paint out with a soft round. So sorry to hear about your wrist situation man. I know exactly more, or less what you are talking about. It may be carpal tunnel. I suffer from a pinched nerve. I haven't had feeling in my index finger on my drawing hand in months. I would recommend maybe putting a piece of wood on the back of your drawing tablet to prop it up at an angle this way making it more natural like a drafting table. Algen P. Fledger did this when having your problem and this seemed to work wonders for him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think I'm going to go ahead and call this my final. I spent about 6 hours on this one and just wanted to put the extra work in to experiment and try to learn more. Hope you all like....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lege1; November 24th, 2017 at 05:29 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2