Thanks

JophielsTwin - Composition 1.1

Well, here's the first of (hopefully) many to come.
    Name:  1_complete1.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  68.7 KB

Francois Boucher by Gustaf Lundberg

Analysis: While the lightning on hand and face are quite similar, the emphasize is clearly put on the face, thanks to the hard edges in it. I'd also say the rather unclear brushstrokes in the hair are a good example of the Economy rule. Theres also a variety of fold-shapes on the coat and the detailed locks of hair privide some repitition.
    Last edited by JophielsTwin; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:20 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Name:  2_complete.png
Views: 426
Size:  307.3 KB
    Mademoiselle O'Murphy by Francois Boucher

Analysis: Balance was created here by putting cushions and drapes to the side, forming a rhythm with the hard edges on the wall and the clear horizontal lines of the divan. The Focus is put partly on the face, but mostly on her behind, thanks to the generous use of white in that area. Vartiety was archieved thanks to the cushions, whereas continuity is shown through the paneling. Economy is noticable on the wall and floor, which frame the picture and put the emphasize back on the Girl in the center.

Personal note - compared to my last piece I tried to restrain myself from using textured brushes, the result seems to be a much cleaner piece, especially in the skin area. Though I still find myself struggeling with sketching the face in a limited time.

Thanks
    Third one:
    Name:  3_complete.png
Views: 391
Size:  136.3 KB
    Self-portrait by David Leffel

Analysis: The most prominent principles used in this piece are Emphasize (thanks to the light on the face and the dark clothes), and Economy, especially used on the garments, which are mostly black schemes. Balance is created through the pattern on the coat, which also forms an S-shape with the ridge on his nape, thus bringing rhythm into the piece. The face area shows much variety, the pattern on the headband has continuity (even if it is more implied, than actually shown).

Personal note - towards the end I realized that the head is slightly too narrow and the eyes are set a bit low, yet I thought I might have made some progress in re-painting faces.

Thanks
    Name:  4_complete.png
Views: 353
Size:  253.5 KB
    The Cardsharps by Michelangelo

Analysis: Economy has been mainly used in the background and . The Focus is on the face of the man on the far left, whereas the compostition (a triangle) is leading the eye towards the back of the man on the right side, putting the emphasize on his "cheating". The stripes on the clothing generate variety, whereas the patten itself shows continuity, along with the table cloth. Most of the balance is created by the composition and the variety of greytones.

Thanks
    Name:  5_complete.png
Views: 342
Size:  235.3 KB
    Ships on a Stormy Sea by Willem van de Velde the Younger

Analysis: The picture's brushwork uses a great deal of economy - especially the clouds and the sea are shaped purely through a few spots of light. The focus is clearly on the ship in the foreground, the sail being the lightest spot aside from the water-splashing. Together with the mast the sail forms a triangle composition which underlines the emphasize and creates the notion of movement, together with the waves . The ship in the background shows some continuity (the masts), yet overall the picture relies more on variety.

Thanks
    Name:  6_complete.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  87.4 KB
    Meditation by William-Adolphe Bouguereau

Analysis: Most of the pictures contrast, and thus emphasize, is created by the dark hair on the almost-white ground. Together with the eyes it's putting the Focus on the face, since it is the most nuanced area. The folds of the white dress show variety as well as some continuation and the composition itself is made of trangles which is formed by the hands as well as her shoulders.

Thanks
    Name:  7_complete.png
Views: 231
Size:  207.5 KB
    Silk Brocade w/ Onions and Rose by David Leffel

Analysis: This piece contains a lot of variety and a minimum of continuity. The whole background consists of economical brushstrokes and contrast is used to put the focus on the jug. The white of the rose and the whiteon the table are balancing each other out, the folds on the table cloth show some repitition, thus creating rhythm. The overall composition consists of triangles - table cloth, bow of flowers - and round shapes for variety.