Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Some new project designs...

In order:
    "Cain and Abel" (a Biblical story about the first men)
    "Great Star and Small Star" (from Cheonjiwang Bonpuli, a Korean creation myth; Jeju Island)
    "Emergence" (one basic type of creation myth)
    "Ex Nihilo" (a second basic type of creation myth)

Name:  Full piece-plan.png
Views: 784
Size:  227.1 KB
    Name:  Through 10.png
Views: 675
Size:  149.8 KB
    Name:  Emergence.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  56.2 KB
    Name:  Ex nihilo.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  93.7 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,477 Times in 4,461 Posts
    Boring and pretentious. I'm sorry but I can't see how you think you're going to convey big ideas with a limited palette and geometric shape. There is no frisson, nothing of interest. If you need to say before showing, you've already lost people. Art should work even if you don't know the story behind it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Boring and pretentious. I'm sorry but I can't see how you think you're going to convey big ideas with a limited palette and geometric shape. There is no frisson, nothing of interest. If you need to say before showing, you've already lost people. Art should work even if you don't know the story behind it.
    How dare you calling crudely drawn circles and rectangles boring! D:

Thanks
    So i'm guessing that Cain is the black block that symbolize his tragedy , and Able is the red block that symbolize blood and sacrifice .

andddddddddddd that's pretty much what i'm getting at
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

Thanks
    I actually find the pieces with the large black square and the smaller squares oddly attractive. It's sort of intimate in size, and reminds me of some sort of puzzle or ancient language (I play too much MYST). I know I left a rather scathing review of your artist statement along the lines of Black Spot's critique. And I do still have this issue where while I appreciate the work from a formalistic standpoint, I wouldn't be able to get into any of the spiritual meaning of it through the work itself without reading about it.

Still, I like the work itself.

Thanks
    Hi Joe, you weren't scathing. You said what you needed to say and we came to an understanding that helped us both.

And, you helped me again with this feedback--I'm just starting to integrate the message and the final product. It'll take a long time to get that just right (considering the scope), but it'll get there. Thanks for commenting!

P.S. There's absolutely no shame in working to understand content. It's half of the story.

Thanks
    No, but keep working at it. Part of abstract art is to pull the piece apart, rather than impose a quick interpretation of it onto the work. It actually has a lot more to do with what your psyche recognizes in it.

*BTW, that black block is meant to be a midnight (anthraquinone) blue.
    Last edited by briannahjkelley; October 19th, 2017 at 06:33 PM. Reason: *

Thanks
    Hey, these are only designs (rough drafts). I'd appreciate that you not openly mock my work--even if just a rough draft--on my own post. They might be crude arrangements, but I respect what I do.

*BTW, these are black/blue/red pieces of paper arranged on top of a blank white sheet of paper.

Thanks
    Hi, I understand that you're an administrator on this website, but your comment is extreme and ironically, pretentious.

"Those who have followed the course of abstract art over the past 20 or 30 years will have been struck by its persistence. When the Circle et Carré exhibition was held in April 1930, the Parisian press informed us that such painting was 'the mere ghost of an experiment which we thought had died long ago,' and that 'all this has nothing new to offer.' In 1955 the same outbursts of weariness and boredom, if not anger, can be heard at any exhibition of abstract art: 'about time the joke was buried...same old bag of tricks...poor old public...'

Maybe. But things become entirely different if we are patient enough to take a closer look. Then we see that abstract art has never stopped adding to its range and means of expression, never faltered in its search for greater depth. ... Kandinsky and Mondrian, both of whom lived to a good age, thanks to their long working life were able to show their successors what a range of values can be drawn out of such simple elements; Kandinsky stressing inventiveness and Mondrian the importance of increasing depth."
    (A Dictionary of Abstract Painting (1958), Chapter 2: Persistence and Vitality of Abstract Art; Seuphor)

The earliest critics of abstract art saw it as an annoying distraction. They tried to decide what abstract art was for the public/artists. They ended up with an egg on their face.

That being said, my work might be immature, but I have respect for it and I will decide whether it works or doesn't work. Those whose work I don't respect or am frustrated by, I don't pay much mind to. Or I focus on what I do admire about it. Or, if they ask me what's wrong with what they've done, I tell them what I cannot see.

I would never dream of going up to an artist to volunteer an opinion that their work is pretentious or boring. Because that is not only presumptuous, but it would be gauche and humiliating for me. I would never do that to myself. Your relationship with the work is between you and it, never you and the artist and it. I'm not looking for a threesome.

By the way: each description next the the titles do not explain my work, but briefly describe the stories upon which the work is based. I felt that it was necessary to include that and I don't feel any differently now.

Thanks
    Your work has neither giraffes nor pigs in it, therefore it is without value to me.

Thanks
    So be it--but please don't waste my time, or degrade my posts anymore.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by briannahjkelley View Post
    So be it--but please don't waste my time, or degrade my posts anymore.

Good luck.
    I can only degrade your posts because you let me.
    Poking inflated egos is fun. Poke

Good luck to you too.

Thanks
    You know, you had the choice to ignore this post--especially since you just admitted that you were never interested in it in the first place. I have an obligation to protect what I produce.

I also just gave you an out, to quietly leave my post with some dignity--but you're back, for absolutely no reason. Just to waste my time again, further degrade this post, and make a fool out of you and I. I don't know that you understand what an inflated ego actually is.

Please do not comment on this thread again.

Thanks
    oof, this could be a lesson in communication skills.

Without any hint these were works in progress and the inclusion of the titles/descriptions, it's not unreasonable for the rest of us to presume these were complete works.
    Usually mostly-resolved traditional media art gets posted here.

Is the Cain and Abel supposed to be the whole thing with all four squares, or are the right ones you just playing around with composition layout?
    If I didn't now know these were WIP, I'd think you spent ~2 mins in MS paint on the bottom two. Which is probably not the reaction you want from your viewers.
    Do you have any other iterations or tests you did for them, any thumbnail sketches?

Abstract artists are going to be hard pressed to find receptive eyes here. In part because the genre is subjective (okay, yeah, art is general is rather subjective but abstraction even more so).
    But mainly because most of the members here come to hone their craft in more immediately-digestible and mainstream figurative projects for work in multimedia entertainment: stuff like film, games, ads, illustrations, comics, etc.
    Have you checked out the wetcanvas boards at all?
    I'm not saying don't post here, but be aware of your audience.

For instance, spend any time in the general forum and you'll know to take most of Tiggeraz comments with an heap of Lot's wife.

Maybe start a sketchbook for consolidating your various works in progress, and just post the more resolved stuff here or on Finished.

Slightly off-topic: you can add text between attachments, you might have to go in advanced settings, but that way you could assign the names above specific works in the future.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    InfernoKing, yes, I think I'm in the wrong place. I misunderstood what this forum and community would be. I assumed it attracted artists from all walks of life, who do all sorts of work. This is absolutely the wrong audience to grow in--multimedia entertainment is not my arena. WetCanvas, on the other hand...that seems awesome. Thank you for recommending that.

You're right--including a 'WIP' or 'rough draft' note would have helped. But to be fair, I did post in the title "project designs." That implies that these are not final products, but in the planning stage. The replies to this thread are a heap of embarrassment and misunderstanding.

As far as planning each piece went, I'll just say that Cain & Abel went through many, many phases and took a couple of months to find a balance and story. As for the final product, recursion has a lot to do with it. Recursion (self-similarity, repetition) has a lot to do with all of these pieces, because truly religious behavior is, at bottom, recursive. I would have said that, but didn't feel the need to. I felt the post was self-explanatory and fine in and of itself. I didn't expect that people would feel so deprived of something. I didn't expect them to respond so angrily, or to see an administrator lashing out; I just posted and left it alone. I was happy with the designs because for me they were a step in the right direction, although immature. Then I came back tonight to find all of the above. That was really distressing. I don't feel any differently about the art, of course, but I feel differently about this website and who it attracts. I'm going to stop recommending ConceptArt.

I actually just asked that my account be deleted, so this is it for me on here.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast