Thanks

freelance - polite rejection or future collaboration?

Hello, everyone.

I'm still art school kiddo who takes first steps into freelance world. I've send my portfolio to various companies that might need illustrator (mostly board games) in order to evaluate my skills. I've got several replies that more or less stated "we don't need you right now but will keep your contact for future collaboration". Does it mean I got rejected in polite way or does it mean I can think of them as a potential clients in future?

Another question is how long should I wait for a reply or potential contract? I've got several replies from smaller companies like 1-3 weeks after I've send them email. Does it mean it may take much longer just to evaluate my portfolio? I've also got an email where somebody asked me for my rates for upcoming project - I've send them but few days has passed and I didn't get any reply. How long it usually takes for illustrator - from first contact to contract?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by artzcatz View Post
    I'm still art school kiddo who takes first steps into freelance world. I've send my portfolio to various companies that might need illustrator (mostly board games) in order to evaluate my skills. I've got several replies that more or less stated "we don't need you right now but will keep your contact for future collaboration". Does it mean I got rejected in polite way or does it mean I can think of them as a potential clients in future?
    I take that as a kind refusal.

Another question is how long should I wait for a reply or potential contract? I've got several replies from smaller companies like 1-3 weeks after I've send them email. Does it mean it may take much longer just to evaluate my portfolio? I've also got an email where somebody asked me for my rates for upcoming project - I've send them but few days has passed and I didn't get any reply. How long it usually takes for illustrator - from first contact to contract?[/QUOTE]

It varies wildly, it is my experience that the bulk of studios don't respond at all, I remember one that took 9 months to reject...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by artzcatz View Post
    [...]more or less stated "we don't need you right now but will keep your contact for future collaboration". Does it mean I got rejected in polite way or does it mean I can think of them as a potential clients in future? [...]
    That's a rejection letter. It's nice they actually responded at all.

I've also got an email where somebody asked me for my rates for upcoming project - I've send them but few days has passed and I didn't get any reply. How long it usually takes for illustrator - from first contact to contract?
    You can always follow up with a nice call or email "Hey - just checking in to see how the evaluation is going, and if I can schedule a meeting to talk about your up and coming project".
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by modi123 View Post
    That's a rejection letter. It's nice they actually responded at all.
    True. I've send around 40 portfolios 2-3 weeks ago, got 6 replies (not counting those "I've sent your email to art director") where 1 has potential for client work. I assume that many if not most of those who didn't reply rejected me already so it's nice if somebody replies to you.

How should I know if I got rejected because my skills are bad or because they are not looking for any illustrator at that moment/my style doesn't fit their current project and other non-skills issues? Some companies had stated that they are not looking for any illustrators atm or that they are looking for different style (cartoon, mine is realism) but if it's "we put you on file" only does it mean it's skills issue or I can never know?

Thanks
    It's a refusal, at least thats my experience when I was looking for a job longtime ago. But remember you said "I've send my portfolio to various companies that might need illustrator". The reason why they're keeping you on hold is because they don't have that position available in their company. I received once a rejection email after 3 months after I applied for the job. Sometimes they're very busy and they will respond later, especially if they have a job offer there could be a couple hundred applicants. An another possible option could be that your email ended up in their spam folder, so they've never read it.

I think it's better to call a company and ask if they're looking for an illustrator.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezball View Post
    It's a refusal, at least thats my experience when I was looking for a job longtime ago. But remember you said "I've send my portfolio to various companies that might need illustrator". The reason why they're keeping you on hold is because they don't have that position available in their company. I received once a rejection email after 3 months after I applied for the job. Sometimes they're very busy and they will respond later, especially if they have a job offer there could be a couple hundred applicants. An another possible option could be that your email ended up in their spam folder, so they've never read it.

I think it's better to call a company and ask if they're looking for an illustrator.
    I was looking for freelance opportunities so more or less I've found list of few hundreds board games companies + did some research on artstation (looked for other artists client list) and decided to send to every company that did something remotely close to my portfolio. Of course I didn't send everywhere yet (until now around 40 from few hundreds) and yes it's true - I don't know if they are looking for freelance or not, often I have send email via "contact" form on website. The point is I am not very active on social media (I have only online portfolio on major art websites) and I am just starting out which means it's unlikely that any art director will notice me so I was thinking that "mass spamming" should do the job.

Thanks
    If you ever going to setup your own personal website make sure to learn the basics of SEO, its going to help you a lot. Having a YouTube channel helps too, you could do speed painting videos, show some of your projects etc. It's going to boost up your name so you'll get noticed way quicker. Combine a YouTube channel with Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.