Thanks

ArtCenter Entertainment Design portfolio (spring 2018)

Hi everyone, first time posting to this forum.
    I wanted to share the project I've been working on for 5 months, an animated-film concept of the Garth Nix novel "Sabriel".

http://joshwongart.blogspot.com/2017...nt-design.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portfolio_.jpg 
Views:	1234 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	2265611

This was created as an application portfolio to ArtCenter's Entertainment Design program. I'm now waiting on a response from them. Fingers crossed! UPDATE 10/22/17: I got accepted!
    If anyone has questions, feel free to ask. I did take some liberties with Nix's original text.
    Last edited by joshwongart; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:26 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to joshwongart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is incredible work. Really high quality and extremely elaborate. Have you applied for jobs at animation studios? Because I personally feel you could definitely work for an established animation studio already and not throw 20k+ a year at Art Center.
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

Thanks
    Thanks Dennis!
    I'm pretty sure I could get into a decent studio, but ArtCenter is still what I'm shooting for. It'll be tough as nails and cost me quite a bit of money, but if I don't attend this school I'll be wondering "what if" for the rest of my life.

Thanks
    "What if I had just gotten a job straight away at a fantastic studio and not spend 80k?" ? All jokes aside I really think you should try and apply, you seriously have a shot at the likes of Pixar or Disney. Whatever your dream studio would be I would say apply there and then go with ArtCenter if you don't get it. Unless you don't want to work in Animation but rather for like a AAA game studio, than ArtCenter would definitely be very useful.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Once I'm in ArtCenter, I'll be shooting for internships with Pixar, Disney, Dreamworks, etc. Plenty of people end up getting full time positions after their internships and drop out of AC to pursue that.
    That said, making big money at a top studio isn't really the end goal for me. I just want to improve my art in any way I can. I'd still like to work in feature animation, but there's a part of me that wants to work in live action as well. The new Mad Max, Del Toro's movies, and recently "It" (2017) are big inspirations for me.

Once I start working for a studio, real exploration of my art will be gone, and I'll need to focus on designing whatever movie I'm presented with. I'd like to take time to explore my craft at AC before jumping right into the industry. I co-own a small business, so tuition money isn't a huge issue. If it was, I would definitely shoot for a studio instead of 80k-a-year education.

I moved states and spent half a year on the portfolio to get in ArtCenter, so it'll be hard to stop me!
    But I do appreciate that you think I'm at the level to get in a big studio.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to joshwongart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ah okay it seems like you have this all well thought out. Thought you might be a student who didnt realise their own potential and was going to in debt themselves without having thought of the consequences.

Ye you're work is dope, got an Artstation by any chance? Would love to see what you do in the future.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Dang that is top notch stuff and I agree with others here that you have what it takes to land those jobs in the top animation studios right now
    where I think your work is oriented towards,if you wanted to.

what really impressed me is the world you've built,it really feels like it could be made into a cohesive interesting narrative.
    I mean anyone can put the work and acquire technical skills(and you have a solid drawing foundation) but to generate interesting and original ideas is hard,and I think you are able to do that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kessel View Post
    Ah okay it seems like you have this all well thought out. Thought you might be a student who didnt realise their own potential and was going to in debt themselves without having thought of the consequences.

Ye you're work is dope, got an Artstation by any chance? Would love to see what you do in the future.
    Yeah thankfully I had a few years to situate myself in California and plan out how I'll cover tuition. Debt is a scary thing!
    I don't have an Artstation yet, but you can check out my work at joshwongart.com. I think I'll just switch to Artstation some day.
    follow @joshwongart on instagram, that's where I post all my newest stuff and sketches.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayPersona View Post
    Dang that is top notch stuff and I agree with others here that you have what it takes to land those jobs in the top animation studios right now
    where I think your work is oriented towards,if you wanted to.

what really impressed me is the world you've built,it really feels like it could be made into a cohesive interesting narrative.
    I mean anyone can put the work and acquire technical skills(and you have a solid drawing foundation) but to generate interesting and original ideas is hard,and I think you are able to do that.
    Thank you, I'm glad that shows! I started this project with the intention of making a real animated film. If I hadn't done that, the finished product would have suffered.
    There's so much more I wanted to put in, but that accursed October 1st deadline!

Thanks
    Sabriel is one of my favorite books! I would love this film if it got made. Love the bell designs by the way, would not have thought of changing the shape of the actual bell like that. I hope you do more with this, you have some really great work here!

Thanks
    Thanks, the bells were one of my favorite things to design! My goal was to make sure the silhouettes still somewhat conveyed each bell's personality and function.

It's been fun seeing all the Abhorsen fans coming out of the woodworks since I started this project.

Thanks
    An update. I got into Entertainment Design!