Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post november, isn't it..

urg.. too much work... i haven't had a chance to draw lately.. i will get a new one up soon.. i think that i may be too tired to even see myself in the mirror. i just plain gave up un even tring to fix my appearance for the last 2 weeks pretty much.. If i make one and it looks like 'pink elephants on parade' well, that is just from no sleep.
    something that did make me happy lately, I called Andrew Jones last night (Android , concept artist for metroid prime, and prime 2).. i was so excted while it rang, and then answering machine , but i did leave a message, so hopefully i will get to talk to him, eventually...
    lat3r

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh heh what were you callin him for, class homework assignment?
    I had to do the same thing and the same thing happened...he is cooler than you know...especially if you think hes really cool.

that got me thinking, how many of you guys did this sps stuff because andrew inspired you. he definately inspired me I even stop watching TV so I could draw more. andrew and coro are the two biggest influences on me right now but you cant forget everyone else at CA I mean marko is sick, feng awsomeness (havent seen him around much though) and sparth...woah!
    bengal got me into color, jason is a master and davi with his determination to become the best with his crazy mind is inspiring! and you guys!...man I love you guys...um sorry for kinda goin crazy but I had to share the love

I have sps and will post as soon as I go to school and wrestle someone for the scanner.

bad is good and good is only okay...

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, all! here we go...i don't really like this season. my favorite one is summer!
    so, this is november is like for me:

November Self Portraits

hope, you like it!
    really would be glad about c&c!
    was like my second try in this style...

thx & keep on submittin'!

Last edited by jondan; November 9th, 2004 at 08:06 PM.
    * I am Jacks blunt pencil *

* Take part in "Caricaturists´ Caricatures" ! It could save lives!! *

* my sketchbook c&c very welcome! *

*...and if you find some time: my Homepage*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I became interested in andrew's work when i read an article that labeled him as the only concept artist for metroid prime (i had spend weeks looking to find out who it was who had that amazing position). at first i was only interested in his metroid related pieces, but the more i read, and the more i looked and searched on him the more amazed i was. Andrew Jones is my hero . and i am not afraid to admit it. A page of his that really got me excited about his work was one that he created while he was in college. androidjones.com [not actually a link, but the link wasn't working, so that is the best i can do, sry ] there isn't much here, but if you do nothing more, read his artist statement. It will be worth your time. i guarantee it ..
    i was convinced that self portraits were impossible, too hard for me, and useless besides. but after looking (really looking) at andrew's stuff, i became increasingly interested in the idea, and thought that i'd give it a try. it wasn't too bad, especially for being my second ever. esepecially when i looked at it late at night, it was good . now it's a piece that i am ashamed of, but to have moved from terrible to, well, still pretty bad, but better in such little time, I am happy. It is all thanks to seeing andrew's like 500 sp poster. and other amazing pieces of his. i am not even so much interested in his metroid stuff anymore, as much as learning what i can from what i see
    well, i am going to feel like i am abusing this forum if i don't post another sp soon, so i'll get on it, hopefully i'll produce something cool to look at ..
    lat3r
    oh, btw, i talked to andrew today on the phone today, and he is even more awesome than i would have ever imagined..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stop talking and start posting

N & B

~Sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cutt3r: You are definetly right, he is amazing.. BUT, you said the only concept artist, and I believe this is wrong. Not sure, but I think I read that hes the only north american concept artist.. But I doubt hes the ONLY concept artist, like I said, I may be wrong.. Just thought that would be odd, and very very tough.

I have 2 sps im gonna post, one that took I guess about 2-4 hours, from a photo reference, done in oct but what ya gonna do?
    The 2nd is one that took about less than 20 minutes, done today, well, I like it caus its umm, different. Anyways here they are, ill try and do at least 2 a week. ----- The first one is a repost, its also in my sketchbook, but I did change the nose a bit caus people said it was messed up, hope i fixed it for the better.

November Self Portraits
    November Self Portraits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another day, another sp. This one is not as great a likeness as my first digital one up there, which I still find my greatest likeness ever. But this one was done with a mirror, and all the rendering was done in front of the mirror, with horrible lighting... So maybe ill get a small spotlight/lamp and turn off the lights and just use the lamp for some dramatic lighting sometime.. Oh yah, I got lazy with the rendering, so I figured the face was good enough, lol. I have the patience of a 5 year old. Here is, more to come...
    November Self Portraits

by the sea, in the north, on the west, below the white bears
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Novembre

November Self Portraits

hi folks, dreamers, art-fucks, pc-nuts, symetrically challenged, and all y'all who hate bush! whaaasssaap!

hey one2hit, lets some some more wicked shit!

"Trust Yourself"

Arin Ringwald - Student of Illustration and Design

www.dabble.dream.cx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my first post ever.

heya, all. thought i'd contribute with my portrait for my first post. enjoy!
    November Self Portraits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whut the hell is this? ...its the third...and there's like 4 different postees...what the bush! bush is my new term for something fucked up.

less talk more post. my jaw really isnt this big.

November Self Portraits

welcome to the forums lady angora

"Trust Yourself"

www.dabble.dream.cx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

'four more years, full of fears'

im so stunned by the us election....i dont blame you guys if you feel so hopeless as not to be excited about posting .... sigh.

im so disapointed...

americans had their chance to redeem themselves of a leader that is only capable of knee-jerk reactions, i think america is going to pay in many ways...i see tough times and a world that is going to get even more divided.

does anyone share my view? i know this might not be the most appropriate place to share these thoughts ...but im just curious what the creative minds think.

"Trust Yourself"

www.dabble.dream.cx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok using the combined suggestions from sula-nebouxi and Ni*, must practise more... hate crawling... want to walk

November Self Portraits

Wazzo: check out the teeth... the upper teeth is fixed to the cranium so at least in theory they should be a little tilted in your sp

LadyAngora: welcome to the forums... one tip that might be useful is that you look quickly at the pic then quickly at your drawing and then quickly at the pic and so on, then you kinda create an animation effect and you will see changes if you got any shape,form, value wrong. Of course it works best when working at a scale 1:1 but it works anyway too just have to think more ...and please post bigger

Burning Eyes: Hi check out the eyes in the last one seem just a little off

one2hit: hrm where's your posts... :p

jondan:hm must nitpick can't resist..put the skull in perspective and I think you get more of a 3d effect even when your working with a silouette kinda image

Rkhon: ok now when you got started you have to do one more m'kay

Ion: Well I wouldn't do as many sp's as I do now if it where not for this thread and Andrew I guess is the reason this thread exist so in that respect what he started had a positive effect on me. Andrew got awsome skills and always seems to find new approaches, but in spite of that it's all the people in this thread with all their different styles, tools and approaches to the whole sp thing that keeps my pace up to about 4-7 sp:s a week. I guess without this thread it would be 1-2 sp:s a week.

Goodnight folks don't forget to post

My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

x( too busy to draw!!

wow, i have been really busy lately, i am so tired from staying up late and getting up early that i am starting to write some of my japanese letters backwards. (not good considering the fact that i have been studying jap for 3 years now)..

mind flaw, i must say that your sp's are looking Much better. keep up the good work.

wazzo -- i am completely with you, it is scary and depressing to see bush get re-elected. i thought that kerry was doing soo good.. i was so depressed after i heard that that i was physically incapable of doing anything creative or artful (is that even a word?) for the entire day...
    It is scary to think that we will have a sp.ed. for a president for the next four years... I don't know about everyone else, but i greatly fear the draft. I know that he promised not to use it, but he also promised the nation that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. a lie, to put it politely. on the plus side, I have found that when recruiters call my house and ask if i would be interested in joining the armed forces (i have had about 2 dozen calls in the last few months), that if i tell them that I am going to major in art, or that i am an artist, that they quickly end the conversation.

burning eyes, your color sp looks sweet! amazing, very well done

jondan, interesting, not bad.

i will draw a sp soon, i promise!! lat3r people

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to paint, dammit, so I start to make a rough sketch , and then I battle on for 4 hours trying to get this right. There is at least 2 slightly different angles in this image, I give up I think I need to work on construction... drawing in '2d' is just a tracing game, not fun. Very frustrating in fact...

Pencil + ArtRage

November Self Portraits

not much to say today..

mindflaw : you're improving, those eyes dont look like almonds now, nice job, now do the same for the lips, break them down in planes, and the nose too, the top sits on bone, but the bottom part made of cartilage is very unique to each person, the width, thickness of nostrils, the width of the tip of the nose, the curve of it (hard to draw/ see on front views)...

keep it up everyone and dont get discouraged..

"Pushing the wheelbarrow is easy, thinking about it is hard."
    digital paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Self portrait w. chalks

I did this for class last month.
    Anyways this is my first post so,
    nice to meet everyone.November Self Portraits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KlumsyK : whoa, that's good. How did you start this portrait, with the head shape, or the inside ? What do you use for reference pt for measuring and putting everything into place ?

Here's that bloody painting I wanted to do in artrage in the first place.. screw proportions

I dont understand what's going on, why is it so hard to just draw things into proportion??? *cries*

November Self Portraits

ps: thanks cutt3r I checked android's page and yeah his statement is very inspiring. Which I could relate to art like that. I'm jealous of people who know what they want to do and never looked back.

digital paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, here's a bigger one... (thanks for the comments, by the way!)
    November Self Portraits
    glad to see so many artists in one place!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Envy
    November Self Portraits
    more later...busy!

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, some really cool portraits so far.

I've been a bit busy lately, and need to crack the whip of artistic motivation.

But, today I came home to a lovely suprise. My sister did a portrait of me, using a photo ref. awwww, love ya E. Her's is better than any of my drawn ones

I am going to take it into Painter8.

November Self Portraits

Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just finished this. My very first digital self-portrait. I figured I've been here almost three years so it's about time I inflict my ugly mug on the conceptart.org community...And yes, ladies, I'm single. Can you believe it?

20-40 minutes in painter. Something like that. I wasn't really keeping track.

November Self Portraits

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just finished aother one. I'm not as pleased with attempt #2.

November Self Portraits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a quicky tonight, not alot of time to draw at the moment but i had to chip in at the start of yet another month. good work so far!

I cant believe i've been doing this for a year (even if that was minimal contributions) I hope i've improved at least a little. I see improvements in all the regulars here but it is hard to see your own progress, but i have to remind myself i do this for the enjoyment of the process.

comments at a later date, i need to get to sleep, teaching is tiring work..

cheers all

N
    November Self Portraits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    November Self Portraits
    felt like joining in on some self portrait action.. it's been a while since i've done a sp... so i busted out the mirror and went at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my turn ;)

<cough cough>
    as a new member, and as a total beginner in photoshop painting(this is one is my 2nd finished one on photoshop, still a "padawan in learning"), here is my contribution to the thread
    It does look a little bit straight on a "flat" screen - Ive changed computer to post this and uh, this is NOT the same thing LOL! - and colors are strange right now (lol again, aaah the joy of different screens, aaah) but here it is nevertheless:

November Self Portraits

MarieMJS.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Btw excellent work everyone, I really love the drawings by Donkeyslayer and Klumsyk

MarieMJS.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    November Self Portraits

ar har too many mistakes here but whatever. i had fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reflection

November Self Portraits

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ION: whoah, there's a certain rawness to this one, nice!

I tried the 'grisaille' method once demonstrated by Andrew Jones, I think in one of his SPOD, there was a 7-step demo, here is the thread. I dont know where I found the grisaille step-by-step image though but it is from this portrait of Android.

Also I finally did a SP like he advised when he used to post here : drawing the eyes first and drawing everything else in relation to the eyes, nose and mouth.

November Self Portraits

I'm not too fond of the background in this final version, but I kept it out of curiosity : it is plain 0% saturation gray, but it looks colored to me.

November Self Portraits

I think that's the best ear I've painted yet

edit: aah, here's the grisaille demo from Andrew Jones, that's how you should do it. Mine sucks !

digital paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    faB, that is awsome! i think, the background looks blueish because your eyes expect color in relation to the colored face...somehow...

oh, and can your do a happy one next time?

* I am Jacks blunt pencil *

* Take part in "Caricaturists´ Caricatures" ! It could save lives!! *

* my sketchbook c&c very welcome! *

*...and if you find some time: my Homepage*

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.