Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks
    @scottlovesjeeps

I want to try and work some blue into the design somewhere to so I have police siren colors in the design without having flashing sirens haha.

@ThomasLoriers

There is a whimsical nature to this that I am really enjoying. I dig the holo computer. I think you need some police or swat identifiers, either through color or text to finish selling it.

@Tikisnakes

Feeling out of your depth is totally the point. I feel beasted on here daily and that's a good thing. Gives me something to strive for. Worry most about your design. Technique comes in time. Concept artists are designers first, making something "pretty" is secondary. That being said I think your design is reading more like a "castle guard" than an oppressive swat. I think you can marry the two by looking up some ref of police swat teams and trying to incorporate some of hat shape language and maybe color pallete into your design.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scottlovesjeeps View Post
    @Tiki Snakes Interesting design, maybe a little off the genre but you can change it up a little and can have something there! Play down the medieval/renaissance apparel a bit. Staff is a good non lethal weapon choice, and play around with the mask idea. It creates the sense of dehumanizing the members of the SWAT team and reinforces the idea of an oppressive state-run military police :]
    Yeah, a little left of field genre-wise. Thanks though. The mask is really all the idea I had going in, it was after all a proper middle of the night effort, so it was rather stream of consciousness, effectively. At the risk of taking another go at actually summing my vague idea up though, the idea was to try something a little more *ostentatious*? So the pseudo-medieval things felt like they made sense at the time. Really, what it probably boils down to is channeling a bit much Doctor Who style brutal Dystopian Swat Team and not enough vaguely near-future, Orwellian Dystopian Brutal Swat Team. If I get chance again tonight, I'll take another crack starting from the same starting point and see if I can't remix those ideas to end up a little more in the actual genre I'm supposed to be shooting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaf_Lawkins View Post
    @Tikisnakes

Feeling out of your depth is totally the point. I feel beasted on here daily and that's a good thing. Gives me something to strive for. Worry most about your design. Technique comes in time. Concept artists are designers first, making something "pretty" is secondary. That being said I think your design is reading more like a "castle guard" than an oppressive swat. I think you can marry the two by looking up some ref of police swat teams and trying to incorporate some of hat shape language and maybe color pallete into your design.
    Castle Guards are just medieval Swat-Teams, to be fair. Given I've only left myself quite a short window to get this to a state of completion, (working the weekends and only starting Thursday evening, that's quite a combo), I rather liked the idea of doing something that was *a little* left of field compared to the other entries so far. I'm probably going to keep *some* aspects of the more decadent kind of dystopia and see what I can do on the fringes, the challenge will be to get that married up to it still feeling like it's something you could vaguely believe to be the kind of brutal, totalitarian police guardsman that I'm supposed to be aiming for even while I'm being a little eccentric with the overall idea.

If anything, I hope to have done some actual thinking ahead and maybe even research just to get the less medieval aspects *less generic* than they were when I was making it up as I went along. Will be interesting to see if that pans out at all.

Thanks for the encouragement though either way, I certainly needed it.

Thanks
    Lunch Crunch!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CHOW_437_WIP_004.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	2265772
    Last edited by Deaf_Lawkins; October 6th, 2017 at 02:05 AM.

Thanks
    Okay, take two (also late night. It's when I get stuff done, clearly).

General tech level down, but stylistically a lot less Doctor Who. Maybe that balances out? I don't know, but at least I'm thinking in more lucid sentences tonight.

Still not entirely sure about everything, some bits I'd change at the next stage if I stick with this, the staff/mancatcher/prod will probably get elongated if nothing else (logistical and planning issues with that at this sketching stage, funnily enough). Eh, whatever. Going to take another look at this tomorrow with fresh eyes, see what I think. Tomorrow is the first and last good chance I've got to put real time into this, so I'll be wanting to get *somewhere* because I'll maybe have time for tidying up over the weekend at best.

Name:  WTSwat2.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  64.8 KB

EDIT - In an ideal world, I'd be free all weekend or have started earlier. As it is, think I'm going to resist the urge to go back to the drawing board a third time and see if I can't take this one somewhere rather than starting over again. I'm not entirely unhappy with this one, so it's worth a go.

EDIT 2 - Hoo, nelly. I am out of my recent comfort zone on this one! But hey, I might just be getting to grips with a digital shading technique for the first time in donkeys years. It's not going to set the world on fire, but it's doing what this challenge is supposed to - forcing me to step up even just a little bit. Good stuff. Just got to stay motivated enough to get through this pass and see where it takes me now.

EDIT 3 - Getting pretty damn stiff doing this all day. I am reminded just how bad my posture really is.

EDIT 4 - Not dead! Have a WIP, while I go eat, rest and recuperate for a bit.
    Name:  WTSwat2-WIP.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  59.2 KB
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; October 6th, 2017 at 03:45 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiki Snakes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Probably won't make the finals, but here is what I have so far. I will be trying to make sure to leave some crits on as many finals threads as possible in the future. If you miss the deadline please do include your piece, you may miss the voting, bit you will still be included with critiques.

Name:  dys copy2.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  132.6 KB
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, the way things have panned out, there's little chance I'll have mine as finished as I wanted in time, but I might see about finishing it up more when I get chance on Monday itself. The process was the goal, after all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiki Snakes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Yeah, the way things have panned out, there's little chance I'll have mine as finished as I wanted in time, but I might see about finishing it up more when I get chance on Monday itself. The process was the goal, after all.
    As I said, I will be trying to give feedback in the week on final entries, you can always add your character to the finals thread after the deadline to get some critique if you want, even if you don't make the vote.
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

Thanks
    Here we go my initial sketch:
    CHOW 437 Dystopian SWAT Team

Every agent is equipped with a myriad of devices to make sure every single thing is monitored from every possible angle and immediately sent to a remote location where a team go over it to make sure not a single spec of dust goes unaccounted for. For this reason sentinels require great amounts of enhancements. The mechanical limbs allow them to stand higher than the rest, getting a birds eye view while patrolling. The left portion of his sights works as a headlight, it can be used to provide light in dark places or mark a target which can then be captured using the crossbow with an electric net or the harpoon/baton. The long robe allows for several warrants and posters of fugitives to be displayed and the floating screens behind him ensure the message of their leader is always being transmitted. Along with that the lower part of their face is a mask, fashioned to resemble the thick beard their ruler uses and remind the general populace he is always close. Always watching.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3