Thanks

Youtube videos/livestreams

Hello Name is Daniel
    I love illustration so I record my work in progress for youtube.
    Get artists from around the world from many different levels to talk to me about art.
    These vids are uselessly streamed on youtube to invite people to come ask questions.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2T...bGAofxU_QO24uw
    thanks
    if you want to join me live either in a video or
    to ask questions like me on facebook to get all the times and details.
    https://www.facebook.com/DanielJamiesonIllustration/

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    No offense but it looks pretty bad. The digital paintings look very flat, there is nearly no depth in them. I can suggest you to paint in monochrome, it's easier to get your values right in monochrome. IMHO if you don't know the basics and still make loads of mistakes you really shouldn't teach people. Your students will develop bad habits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNGvWQXoymg

Take that for an example. I would have no idea where to start. All the proportions are wrong, no clue about anatomy, both arms are not symmetric. Literally almost everything is wrong in this piece. Forget the channel and start from the beginning, forget the tablet go the traditional way first. Sign up for some good online lessons like New Masters Academy. Learn the basics first. Practice for years, improve and look back to what you've uploaded to see how far you've progressed. You cannot skip or take a shortcut with art.

There are already so many bad instructors on YouTube, don't be one of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 763 Posts
    Well, it's good to see that you are enjoying what you are doing. There is just one issue - your art is really really bad on a technical level. To a certain degree it is subjective of course but your finished pieces remind me more of children's drawings than real illustrations. I doubt that skilled artists would willingly watch a stream like that, not if that is what you have to offer.

Thanks
    Okay. If you say so. Could I see your works??.
    So all off this looks like childrens drawings??: https://danieljamieson.artstation.com/

Thanks
    Okay may I see your art work.
    Yup I got many traditional pieces if have look in my portfolio.
    well im not exactly having follow along on how to paint it more the knowledge on how you
    go about learning. alot of process goes into pieces. And They can see me grow along the way.
    Humans is not exactly what I like to paint. thanks for advice though you know.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danieljamieson View Post
    Okay may I see your art work.
    Yup I got many traditional pieces if have look in my portfolio.
    well im not exactly having follow along on how to paint it more the knowledge on how you
    go about learning. alot of process goes into pieces. And They can see me grow along the way.
    Humans is not exactly what I like to paint. thanks for advice though you know.
    What does that even mean lol. Yes imho they do look like child drawings, but there is nothing wrong with that everyone started once at the beginner, no one started as a pro. It doesn't matter if you want to paint humans or animals, you do need to know the basics of drawings.

how you go about learning.
    That is what I'm already doing, there is nothing wrong with it. No need to get upset just because of my opinion.

This isn't about my artwork vs yours, having a mindset like that only makes you look childish. Art can be either good or not bad, you can either sing or you can't. If you can't it simply means you need to practice more and thats it. Thats how it works with any skill, if you get upset because someone gives you feedback you really shouldn't create anything at all nor post something online in public places.

Thanks
    Oh okay. Yup. well okay you have your opinion thats fine. Yea how to go about learning art. sure you can practice all day and get no where you know. I ask artist from around the world about what is important about creating work and progressing in there work. Yea Im still young mean I only been drawing more than 10 years and studied for 5. Most my work is to appeal to a younger audience you know. I like getting feedback and know how to process it.

- - - Updated - - -

Can I see some your work though???

Thanks
    Okay. If you say so. Could I see your works??
    Here is my sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d-stuff/page34
    But as Beezball already said, it is not really about "My art vs. your art!"

So all off this looks like childrens drawings??: https://danieljamieson.artstation.com/
    Yes.

You already have an artstation profile. If you take a look at the front page or search for "creature" or "monster" on it you can roughly see what the general quality standard is.

Thanks
    Oh okay. Yup. well okay you have your opinion thats fine. Yea how to go about learning art. sure you can practice all day and get no where you know. I ask artist from around the world about what is important about creating work and progressing in there work. Yea Im still young mean I only been drawing more than 10 years and studied for 5. Most my work is to appeal to a younger audience you know. I like getting feedback and know how to process it.
    Totally disagree, people who practice all day do improve a lot, even the pro's practice a lot, practice is a part of learning. You won't improve if you dont practice. About 10 years you're still making the same stuff. Go watch the sketchbook section and you'll see what I mean, watch the first post of a sketchbook and the last one and compare the pieces.

It doesn't matter if you've studied 5 years, even if it was 50 years if a person doesn't practice he won't advance. I can sign up at a gym and work out once a month, about 10 years I would say I've been going to the gym for 10 years. Thats kinda misleading, it's about how much time you've spent practicing. The skills of a person show the amount of time he/she invested, the end result is the evidence. I can watch tons of instructional videos on how to if I don't practice its just a waste of 1) money 2) time 3) energy. At the end it's your channel, if you want to produce bad art with a lot of basic mistakes it's fine go teach that to people but honestly it's hard to take that seriously. Don't teach if you don't know what you're doing.

The subject that attracts young audience is probably anime and comics, but most people on YouTube don't explain the basics of drawing especially figure drawing and anatomy: the foundation of drawing comics. You really cannot skip that. Heh, thats why those "how-to-draw-" instructional books/videos are pure bullshit and a waste of money.

What have you been studying in that 5 years? Anatomy? Painting? Online? Offline? From which source? Books? Videos? I hope you didn't pay for anything if your skills in the videos is what you've learned in 5 years I would ask for a money refund.

Soon I'll open a sketchbook here, I'm extremely busy with my new job so a sketchbook is one of my least worries.

Thanks
    Okay. thats all good. I not comparing my art to anyone elses.
    I think the work I have is pretty good. mean it may not be AAA games it more fantastical.
    ill keep pushing forward.

Thanks
    Well it is about millage but if you spend it working on the wrong things you will just be running round in circles all what most artist call coasting.
    So no I been drawing nearly everyday for the last ten years.
    I understand animal anatomy better than I do human but all ways improving on that.

A sketchbook is really important, It actaully shouldn't be put to one side. It something you should use everyday to generate new ideas.

I like my work and thats fine if you don't. Yea i know there still lot to learn out there but as artists well never learn everything.

Thanks
    If you think the work you have is good, even after comparing it with portfolios of professionals, I won't make an effort to make you think differently. Good luck! :)

Thanks
    Thanks. Not saying mine as good as theirs.

Thanks
    Dude, you should NEVER EVER give yourself compliments you must EARN compliments from others it makes you look extremely poor and lame. If you really believe your stuff is good you're very delusional. There is nothing wrong with fantasy art but if you don't know anything about color value/shading/light sources, how to draw in 3d, how to see basic shapes into objects all of your art is going to suck. Like I wrote before there are no shortcuts.

Funny how you talk about running in circles, have you never asked yourself why your art looks childish even after a 5 year study? Yes you have been drawing for the last 10 years, that doesn't mean anything. If you have no idea what you;re doing it's useless. I can draw deformed characters every single day if I wanted to, what would I gain from that if I don't study and practice?

Go to the New Masters Academy site and Google search the names of those instructors and you'll see the work of the pro's. The instructors on Gnomon Workshop are extremely skilled too, go to their site and see yourself.

I've seen your portfolio and I took the following example here is what you've done wrong:

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  351.0 KB

Point 1 - The shoes are not identical at all. It seems you just rushed everything and was too lazy to fix noticeable mistakes. See point one, the top shoelace part don't match each other. Not to mention one shoe has 6 top shoelace holes while the other has 8. The perspective is way off here.

Point 2 - those part of the shoe are not identical. Look at the middle part, the black part one is bigger than the other.

Point 3 - The 3 stripes; look at the one I market, there is way too much space between those stripes, they're not identical to the other stripes on the other shoes.

Point 4 - The shoe I marked has 8 shoelace holes while other one has 6.

Point 5 - What does that even supposed to be? I have no idea what that is but whatever it is it's not symmetric compared with the other shoe.

Point 6 - From this view it's impossible to see the butt of the dog, it would be possible if he was standing with his back legs more towards us. But in your picture it's wrong. You could have solved this very easily if you made the composition with basic 3d shapes. If you had any practice you would overcome this problem very easy. Also his back legs; how can a dog stand like that? That's impossible. You painted not only the shoe entirely but also his back legs into the wrong angle. Just check the arrows I drew on his paws.

Light problems:

Starting all the way from the right with the first one starting with the baseball; from this view it's impossible to see the shadow of the bat. On the bottom part the light is wrong too if you compare it to the spikes and the bracelet on his paw. The light on the spikes and the bracelet don't match, including the shadows.

LP at the right front leg; on both paws you've painted light but when you look at the purple bracelet on the part where the light shines on his paw you pained a shadow? How can light shine on a spot where shadow is? Light always "defeats" shadow.

LP on his back legs; same errors as above. Having a light source shining on a spot while you've painted shadows over there. The light on his back legs are wrong, it seems like you've using tons of light sources. Your light source shines at a shadow meanwhile the shading is still there? Man, if you shine light on a dark spot the light will light up everything, you cannot have a light source and shading in the same place.

Shadow: from where does that shadow come? How come there is no shadow on his butt?

Other perspective and dimension problems:

The text on his shirt; perspective and dimension issues. From this view and the way how the dog stands, the text needs to be in a different angle.

Text on the baseball bat; same problem. Perspective and dimension issues.

It looks like you've spend to much time on the dogs face while you rushed out the rest. The errors you made are beginner mistakes and could be avoided very easily. If you're beginning the wrong way the entire piece will be wrong, it doesn't matter how you paint or how many lessons you took. It looks like you've painted the light where ever you liked, painted the text however you liked it and ignored all the dimension issues. This is the reason why we practice a lot.

But what do I know right? I mean I didn't study for 5 years, I have no sketchbook on conceptart, hell I'm so poor I cannot even afford a FREE sketchbook.

Thanks
    Well it is about millage but if you spend it working on the wrong things you will just be running round in circles all what most artist call coasting. So no I been drawing nearly everyday for the last ten years.
    I- can't tell if you're intentionally being ironic.

I skimmed a few vids, you have one where you just start drawing blobs of bones and muscle over an existing creature design...that's not actually going to improve your understanding of animal anatomy. You'd be better off spending the time to sit down and study skeletons and musculature of actual animals first. Drawing them in standstill and in motion, from different angles. By doing so you should have a better grasp of the why and where to real muscle placement, and could then apply that knowledge to making more believable fantasy creatures.

If you talk about working compositions from thumbnail sketches, then maybe do a video showing that.
    Then another video carrying over from that end result into the next step, like values and form refinement.

General advice, start off by breaking down creatures into more basic 3d objects like spheres, ovoids, cones, cylinders. Use surface contour lines. Not only will you be able to work out the overall geometry and perspective, but anticipate better shading going forward.

And because you'll probably ask
    blah and blah

Thanks
    thanks for the advice ill take those in note.

Thanks
    Okay yea. thanks for the advice ill look into making vids like that in future.

Thanks
    You remind me of that dinosaur animation guy from CGSociety. I can't give you much art advice, but I think I can help you a bit with attitude by saying this:

Please, grab a book. Honestly, with 4 months of practice (not even that much practice, since full time job and all), and lots and lots of insecurity still, I can confidently say that I can draw more convincingly than you.

Say it with me: We're all gonna make it; unlesswekindofstagnateintooursafelittlespacesbynev ergettingoutofourcomfortzoneever.
    Cold showers man, they're the key to winning.

Thanks
    good lord daniel i havent posted in years but i logged in just to say i like your channel and it's cool you're making art and idk why everyone suddenly thinks theyre Terence Fletcher from the 2014 Academy Award-winning film Whiplash

21. The Following User Says Thank You to yaymukund For This Useful Post: