Thanks

Steampunk Aphrodite

My chow entry.

Brief wot I wrote: Pirates roam the skies, plundering honest cargo trawlers with their nimble airships. Of all these sky captains the most feared is the one known only as Aphrodite. No one knows where she came from, but her reputation is fearsome, pulling off the most daring raids on heavily armed air-dreadnoughts and flying away unharmed, her holds bursting with treasure.
    You must answer the question: why is she called Aphrodite? Is she exceptionally alluring? Is she an alchemist who has perfected potions to make others fall in love with her? Both would explain her success as a pirate. Does she have something in common with one of the many legends of the greek goddess? Does she have a thing for giant clam shells? Is the moniker ironic and she’s quite hideous? Or maybe, just maybe is she the Greek goddess herself, wiling away the boredom of immortality by walking the mortal world for her own amusement until she is bored and disappears once more?

Venus was the ship's consort until she lost both her arms in a boarding strike. Being the captain's favourite he fitted her with mechanical arms so she could still mop the deck and be useful. She quickly killed him with her powerful robotic limbs and took his place, earning the nickname "Venus De Milo" after the famous armless statue of the goddess of love.

Any general critique welcome.

Name:  aphrodite3crit2.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  160.6 KB

Name:  aphroditewips.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  105.7 KBName:  aphrodite3wip.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  127.2 KBName:  aphroditewipcolour.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  101.8 KBName:  aphrodite1.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  106.3 KB
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The back's big toe is in the wrong position. Has to be in the place where actually the pinkie is.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ctool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The positioning of her torso is confusing to me. Is she shrugging? Are her boobs supposed to be off-balance? They seem tiled along a different axis from the rest of her torso. Looking at your first rough sketch, it looks like her head and neck are disproportionately small, like she has no trapezius muscles and her neck just sticks straight out of her collarbone.

I really like the concept of playing off the Venus de Milo statue; I think it would be cool to take it a step further and use the statue as more of a direct reference: e.g. similar pose, one arm a stub and the other cut off right at the shoulder, and a longer skirt (though it could be form-fitting against the front leg, perhaps wet; see the statue for what I mean).

The librarian glasses seem out of place to me; maybe something more steampunk-themed?

I like your black-and-white sketches a lot more than I like your final product. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it may be the lighting--it's very flat, coming from straight ahead; the kind of lighting you'd use in a commercial for a skin-care product, not the kind of lighting you'd use for a dramatic establishing shot. In real life if you wanted to get an evenly lit shot like that outdoors, you would do it on a cloudy day or in the shade, in which case the warm and cool balance would be different from what you would expect on a sunny day, perhaps cooler lights and warmer shadows. Is the arrow supposed to be the light source? Because if the sun is coming from that direction, it's going to be tinted orange and have very dramatic shadows.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thinknervous For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This was my basis for the torso:

Name:  eg.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  71.7 KB

I wanted a slinky, cat like walk befitting an alluring goddess of love. I'll try matching the statue more, although the pose itself is a little static for what I am trying to do, having the arms severed in s similar to the statue manner might work better. The genre was Pirate / steampunk so there wasn't much room for toga like designs, but I'm not constrained the the brief any longer and may try some more costume experiments.
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

Thanks
    The pose looks not right. Her breasts are not in one line. You tried to emulate this pose but the reason why the girl in the photo has one breast higher than the other is because she's standing on rock. The girl in your artwork is just standing on the ground, so it doesn't look right, it's even impossible to emulate the same pose like the one you painted in real. Seems like her legs are too long, the distance between her belly button and her vagina look too big.

I wouldn't use a photo as a reference instead try a virtual mannequin, these are usually in 3d, there are many out there which you can try out for free. Some have a skeleton only while others have all the muscle groups. Create your own poses with these tools.

Thanks
    I would try to reference more than one photo for the pose. The one you've referenced has the torso in the same position as your painting, but not the legs, the head, or the arms. The neck and the arms are part of the shoulder girdle so it's impossible to move them without affecting the collarbone, which in turn affects how the torso is read. Splicing poses together can be tricky (you've seen how that's gone wrong for me before) but only referencing one pose can be even more dangerous.

You might also want to look at references for what happens to breasts when something is wedged underneath and between them.