Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks

Peter's Sketchbook

Hi my name's Peter, I've been posting over on the Crimson Daggers forum (http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-8171.html) and thought that I would start posting over here aswell to hopefully get some much needed feedback to help me push my work further. The type of work that I want to get into is book illustration and poster design for bands and films (e.g. Mondo). Atm I'm currently signed up to the Watts Atelier Online and working on my figure drawing skills, trying to get them to a decent level before attempting actual finished illustrations.

Here's a dump of this weeks work, just a quick note, the timed figures are from my life drawing class however the model didn't show up so we ended up drawing each other.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

P.S. My pages appear to be huge and not in the order that I want them to be, is there a guide on here for how to post correctly?

Name:  figure abstraction 1.jpg
Views: 6960
Size:  119.5 KB Name:  figure abstraction 2.jpg
Views: 6983
Size:  140.3 KB Name:  skull model 2.jpg
Views: 6538
Size:  207.5 KB Name:  skull model 1.jpg
Views: 6527
Size:  151.9 KB Name:  head drawing 3.jpg
Views: 6519
Size:  96.8 KB Name:  asaro head memorized 4.jpg
Views: 6559
Size:  113.6 KBName:  figure abstraction.jpg
Views: 6538
Size:  165.3 KB Name:  plaster cast eye.jpg
Views: 6496
Size:  101.6 KB Name:  fundamental object 8.jpg
Views: 6498
Size:  90.6 KB Name:  life drawing 32.jpg
Views: 6496
Size:  128.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Peter.JT; November 19th, 2017 at 03:27 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Update for the last 2 days. Drawings from my plaster cast from straight, 3/4, and profile view, trying to remember hoe the eye looks from those angles, and some facial anatomy from Goldfinger. Some life drawing aswell, I struggled with the 5 and 15 minute poses and I'm not happy with how they turned out, especially the 15 minute ones. I'm struggling with the hip placement and the foreshortening of the leg bones so I'll need to study the skeleton.

I'm going to start the figure quick sketching videos on the Watts website to help me improve on my quick sketches. Lastly a 1.5 hour pose which I was quite pleased with, I was pleased with how the head turned out and felt like my time studying the skull and planes of the head is actually paying off.

Name:  plaster cast eye.jpg
Views: 7422
Size:  101.6 KBName:  facial anatomy.jpg
Views: 7362
Size:  151.5 KBName:  life drawing 33.jpg
Views: 7364
Size:  471.9 KBName:  life drawing 34.jpg
Views: 7361
Size:  106.7 KBName:  life drawing 35.jpg
Views: 7364
Size:  130.5 KB
    Last edited by Peter.JT; August 30th, 2017 at 05:42 AM.

Thanks
    Update for the last few days. Been watching quite a few of the Watts Atelier videos so that has eaten into alot of my drawing time but nevertheless I still got some work done. Firstly is a page of free hand basic forms in perspective from imagination, Since I've been drawing them from life for the last couple of weeks I thought I'd try it from imagination and see how good I could do.

Got abit bored of just drawing the skull and memorized asaro head so I thought I'd have some fun and draw some heads from imagination....it did not go so well haha, I really need to work on improving my features. And lastly I started working through the figure drawing videos. I kinda skipped ahead and started with the Reilly abstraction method as I was hoping I could start utilizing it in my life drawing class to help me improve my quick sketching. For starters I drew the figure abstraction over the reference photos provided and then I did the same but over some of Jeff's quick sketches, and lastly I copied some of the trace overs to help me remember it.

Name:  basic shapes free hand.jpg
Views: 7242
Size:  150.8 KBName:  heads imaginary 2.jpg
Views: 7222
Size:  142.1 KBName:  reilly method fig 4.jpg
Views: 7212
Size:  218.2 KBName:  reilly method fig 5.jpg
Views: 7267
Size:  339.2 KB
    Name:  reilly method fig 6.jpg
Views: 7234
Size:  231.8 KBName:  reilly method fig 7.jpg
Views: 7219
Size:  235.6 KBName:  reilly method fig 9.jpg
Views: 7451
Size:  335.3 KBName:  reilly method fig 8.jpg
Views: 7387
Size:  360.6 KBName:  reilly method fig 10.jpg
Views: 7206
Size:  319.6 KB

Thanks
    Update for the last few days. Been watching quite a few of the Watts Atelier videos so that has eaten into alot of my drawing time but nevertheless I still got some work done. Firstly is a page of free hand basic forms in perspective from imagination, Since I've been drawing them from life for the last couple of weeks I thought I'd try it from imagination and see how good I could do.

Got abit bored of just drawing the skull and memorized asaro head so I thought I'd have some fun and draw some heads from imagination....it did not go so well haha, I really need to work on improving my features. And lastly I started working through the figure drawing videos. I kinda skipped ahead and started with the Reilly abstraction method as I was hoping I could start utilizing it in my life drawing class to help me improve my quick sketching. For starters I drew the figure abstraction over the reference photos provided and then I did the same but over some of Jeff's quick sketches, and lastly I copied some of the trace overs to help me remember it.

Name:  basic shapes free hand.jpg
Views: 7150
Size:  150.8 KBName:  heads imaginary 2.jpg
Views: 7137
Size:  142.1 KBName:  reilly method fig 4.jpg
Views: 7135
Size:  218.2 KBName:  reilly method fig 5.jpg
Views: 7117
Size:  339.2 KB
    Name:  reilly method fig 6.jpg
Views: 7120
Size:  231.8 KBName:  reilly method fig 7.jpg
Views: 7119
Size:  235.6 KBName:  reilly method fig 9.jpg
Views: 7109
Size:  335.3 KBName:  reilly method fig 8.jpg
Views: 7129
Size:  360.6 KBName:  reilly method fig 10.jpg
Views: 7093
Size:  319.6 KB

Thanks
    I've fallen behind abit on updating my sketchbook, I either come home form work and do more work and go straight to bed, or i tell myself I'll post in the morning but when the time comes I decide to work instead because updating my sketchbook will take time out of my drawing time haha (I really need a better system). As usual stuff from the last few days.

Life drawing from my usual class, I tried using the Reilly abstraction method this week and I can definitely see that it is a much better system for figure drawing, I felt my 15 min drawing was much better this week (although I think the arms are too long), my 5 min drawings not so much but I just need to get the practice in. My 1.5 hour pose didn't go too well, I feel like some of the proportions are off, and I did a terrible job of the head.

More drawing from my asaro head, trying to memorize how it looks from different angles, more cast drawing, again trying to memorize how the eye looks from different angles and lastly some basic objects, drawn individually and combined. And to put into practice what I've been trying to memorize, I'm gonna spend some time on Saturday re-drawing them from memory. I've got another page I was working on today but didn't get time to finish so I'll finish it tomorrow morning and post then.

Again any feedback would be much appreciated.

Name:  life drawing 36.jpg
Views: 6993
Size:  310.5 KB Name:  life drawing 37.jpg
Views: 6989
Size:  297.5 KB Name:  life drawing 38.jpg
Views: 6971
Size:  390.0 KB
    Name:  asaro head memorized 5.jpg
Views: 6979
Size:  487.3 KB Name:  fundamental object 9.jpg
Views: 6949
Size:  321.2 KB Name:  plaster cast eye 3.jpg
Views: 6983
Size:  441.7 KB

Thanks
    The page I was finishing off yesterday morning took me alot longer than I had thought (the asaro head), since I was drawing it from new angles I kept making mistakes or had to adjust lines. Apart form that I only got some more figure abstractions done in the same way as before, tracing over photo using the abstraction guide and then copying the tracing to help me remember it. I can see I've made a few mistakes such as making some lines more straight then they are and made a bad mistake on the pose with the foreshortened arm which I edited with red lines to show that I drew them too short.

I've been drawing some heads from imagination today but didn't get a chance to finish them, had to help a friend out which took way longer than I thought so my plan is to finish them tomorrow, a long with some memory drawing.

Name:  asaro head memorized 6.jpg
Views: 6912
Size:  100.1 KB Name:  reilly method fig 11.jpg
Views: 7369
Size:  98.7 KB Name:  reilly method fig 12.jpg
Views: 6936
Size:  391.0 KB
    Name:  reilly method fig 13.jpg
Views: 7491
Size:  388.6 KB Name:  reilly method fig 14.jpg
Views: 6948
Size:  95.7 KB

Thanks
    Very good studies, these will help you improve your figures drastically in a very short amount of time so definitely keep doing them. Really makes me excited for lifedrawing to start here again I don't know anything about the technique you've been taught on the proportions so I can't critique those except for the most part it seems to look good. On all your drawings, this is especially extreme on these last three you draw the knee joint and the gastrocnemius way too low on the legs. Pay extra attention to the knee area on your next few figure drawings and that should fix you from continuing to make that mistake.
    The Asaro heads also look good for the most part but you make some mistakes when the turning away becomes more extreme. Do you have a physical Asaro head or 3D model of it? It would greatly help you figure out those mistakes. It's mainly the one straight line from the chin to the cheekbone that is making those look off. In those extreme views the lips also wrap around the form a little more and we see the other side of the face, the lips don't touch the contour line of the face at those angles. Great studies, just keep going!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Dennis thanks for stopping by and sorry for the late response. I've been working my through the Watts Online course so I've been trying to learn their techniques and proportions etc. Thanks for the critique, I'll keep that in mind on my next figure drawings, I really need to get back to studying anatomy again. I've been working from a physical asaro head (the memorized version which is the basic one) and I thought something was off on those extreme angles but wasn't quite sure what so again thanks for pointing it out

Thanks
    Apologies for lack of updates, I've fallen behind this week on work and haven't gotten as much done as I would of liked so I thought I'd do a group post for the last few days. I didn't go to my usual life drawing class this week due to the horrendous weather so I haven't got my usual figure work to show.

I did some drawings from memory of some of this things I did last week such as the asaro head from various angles and the Reilly abstraction. This evening I'm gonna compare these drawings to the ones made last week and analyze were I made mistakes so I know what to work on. Apart from that I drew some objects from imagination and some eyes from reference which I have included. I watched Proko's video regarding the eyes and did a study of his drawing in the top right and applied the information fro his video.

I'm going to do more work now and post again later in the evening.

Name:  head memory 2.jpg
Views: 6769
Size:  311.4 KB Name:  head memory 3.jpg
Views: 6776
Size:  383.1 KB Name:  objects imaginary.jpg
Views: 6779
Size:  138.6 KB
    Name:  features reference-eye.jpg
Views: 6799
Size:  358.6 KB Name:  eye reference.jpg
Views: 6765
Size:  401.0 KB

Thanks
    Well I didn't post last week like I said I would, tried to do more work but nothing seemed to be going right for me and all the worrying and self doubt got to me so I decided to step back and just take some time off (it's been awhile) and come back strong next week. Same as usual Monday's are my life drawing day, I can definitely see some mistakes I've made such as making the head too small and elongating the torso in a few of the drawings.

I struggled abit with the longer single pose as I didn't like the view I had but there was nowhere else to move to unfortunately. The lighting wasn't too great today aswell, where I go they don't use an artificial light but rely on natural daylight and today was cloudy but oh well, gotta make the best of it haha. As usual any feedback would be much appreciated.

Name:  life drawing 39.jpg
Views: 6713
Size:  370.9 KB Name:  life drawing 40.jpg
Views: 6702
Size:  460.1 KB Name:  life drawing 41.jpg
Views: 6695
Size:  365.1 KB

Thanks
    I've been away the last few days visiting family so I didn't get time to get any work done but I'm back. I've started working through the Proko anatomy course to help me understand bone placement and anatomy better. I'm going to work through the torso bones sections first before trying to draw them from the model as I noticed today I kept making mistakes when it came to ribcage and pelvis placement on a trace over.

P.s. I messed up on the second page and copied Stan's drawing rather than the picture provided, the numbered drawings are my own attempts from the reference.

Name:  proko 1.jpg
Views: 6683
Size:  110.9 KB Name:  proko 2.jpg
Views: 6677
Size:  128.1 KB Name:  proko 3.jpg
Views: 6628
Size:  199.7 KB Name:  proko 4.jpg
Views: 6742
Size:  280.8 KB

Thanks
    really good that you break down figures into geometric shapes like that. Very analytical! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Hey, cool sketchbook. I'll follow this one. I'm a member of Watts Online as well. Working on Head Phase II, Figure Phase I and Perspective Essentials.

Where do you get the black and white reference photos? I recognize them from Watts but I haven't seen them anywhere.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kayness View Post
    really good that you break down figures into geometric shapes like that. Very analytical! Keep it up!
    Hi Kayness thanks for stopping by and your encouragement, just gotta buckle down and do more haha.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blad View Post
    Hey, cool sketchbook. I'll follow this one. I'm a member of Watts Online as well. Working on Head Phase II, Figure Phase I and Perspective Essentials.

Where do you get the black and white reference photos? I recognize them from Watts but I haven't seen them anywhere.
    Hi Blad thanks for visiting and the follow It's nice to meet someone who is also working through the same course, you must be subscribed to the full course then if your also working through the perspective videos. I'm currently working through Head Phase 1 & 2 aswell as Figure Phase 1, although I'm taking a break atm to work thorough Proko's anatomy videos.

I kinda skipped ahead into Head Phase 3 and 4 (I think) and used the reference imagery from there, I think it was the 10 minute head quick sketches.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter.JT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been ill in bed the last few days so I haven't been able to get as much done as I would of liked but I still managed to get some work done. Been working my way (slowly) through the Proko torso course working on the pelvis, simplifying it into a bucket and drawing it from various angles. The top half of the page where done using the 3d model provided and the bottom half was done from imagination. I'm hoping to push through the bones videos by Tuesday so I can start on learning the actual anatomy since I feel like I'm not really doing much atm.

I wanted to work on my rendering skills since it feels like it's been forever since I've done it so I decided to sit down and work from my plaster cast and see how well I could render it. Think I tried this atleast 3 times before I got to the end result. I don't have an image of my first attempt because I binned it but the first try and second try I worked on for about 3 hours each before I stopped since I felt like I wasn't doing it correctly.

The page with the 2 eye casts are little lighting comps I did (about 5-10 mins each) with the top right drawing being my original lighting set up and the bottom left the new one. The final drawing took about 6 hours roughly, I could of worked on it longer but felt that I pushed it as far as I could with my current skills. I feel like I could of pushed the shadows darker and I definitely went too dark on the shading on the bottom of the eye lid but I'm glad I kept persevering.

Name:  proko 5.jpg
Views: 5841
Size:  334.6 KB Name:  cast eye 3.jpg
Views: 5836
Size:  132.1 KB Name:  cast eye 1.jpg
Views: 5837
Size:  107.2 KB
    Name:  cast eye 2.jpg
Views: 5827
Size:  87.6 KB Name:  cast eye 4.jpg
Views: 5830
Size:  138.3 KB

Thanks
    I was going to post last night but the work I was doing yesterday took alot longer than I thought and I was way too tired so I thought I would post today instead. A collection of work since Monday, same stuff as usual from my life drawing class. Didn't do too well this week, I had quite a few awkward views and the longer pose was almost entirely in shadow which isn't good but oh well.

Started working through the actual anatomy section from the Proko course with the Pecs so I did a few notes, some stationary views of the pecs, and then model trace overs aswell as inventing the pecs on the skeleton. The first lot are my own attempts and the next set with the notes are when I made corrections after following the crit videos. And lastly some simplified drawings of the skeleton from reference which I completely forgot to draw the hands and feet for (yikes).

I'm going to redo the trace overs and invention exercises now to start cementing the ideas into my head.

Name:  life drawing 42.jpg
Views: 5795
Size:  384.9 KB Name:  life drawing 43.jpg
Views: 5814
Size:  354.4 KB Name:  life drawing 44.jpg
Size:  336.8 KB Name:  pec anatomy 1.jpg
Views: 5788
Size:  453.4 KB
    Name:  proko 1.5.jpg
Views: 5785
Size:  356.2 KB Name:  proko 1.6.jpg
Views: 5778
Size:  95.6 KB Name:  proko 1.7.jpg
Views: 5793
Size:  304.0 KB Name:  proko 1.8.jpg
Views: 5744
Size:  285.4 KB Name:  proko 1.9.jpg
Views: 5756
Size:  335.5 KB
    Name:  proko 1.1.jpg
Views: 5743
Size:  303.2 KB Name:  proko 1.2.jpg
Views: 5742
Size:  288.3 KB Name:  proko 1.3.jpg
Views: 5753
Size:  249.3 KB Name:  proko 1.4.jpg
Views: 5766
Size:  265.7 KB
    Name:  proko 1 crit.jpg
Views: 5810
Size:  395.7 KB Name:  proko crit 2.jpg
Views: 5730
Size:  119.0 KB Name:  proko crit 3.jpg
Views: 5864
Size:  351.3 KB Name:  proko crit 4.jpg
Views: 5890
Size:  336.4 KB Name:  proko crit 5.jpg
Views: 5765
Size:  386.4 KB
    Name:  proko crit 6.jpg
Views: 5937
Size:  393.3 KB Name:  proko crit 7.jpg
Views: 6002
Size:  326.7 KB Name:  proko crit 8.jpg
Views: 5741
Size:  329.6 KB Name:  proko crit 9.jpg
Views: 6027
Size:  311.6 KB Name:  robo skelly.jpg
Size:  118.1 KB

Thanks
    Here's some of the stuff I've been working on recently. I re did some of the anatomy trace overs and invention for the pecs to test myself and see if I had learned anything from the critique videos and the notes I made. Lastly some life drawing from today. The group that I attend has moved location so this was my first session in the new building, still inconsistent lighting but they do evening classes so I thought I'd attend one one week and see if the lighting is any better.

What I've been noticing the last few weeks is that I seem to draw the head way too small sometimes on my 5 min poses (I think), hopefully someone else can confirm if I am or not. On the longer pose I didn't have enough time to render the entire figure so I thought I'd focus on the head since that is what I've practiced the most over the last few months. I really need to buckle down and learn all my anatomy so I can take my figure drawing to the next level.

Name:  proko redo.jpg
Views: 5734
Size:  327.5 KB Name:  proko redo 2.jpg
Views: 5667
Size:  466.4 KB Name:  proko redo 3.jpg
Views: 5666
Size:  278.2 KB Name:  proko redo 4.jpg
Views: 5677
Size:  299.3 KB Name:  proko redo 5.jpg
Views: 5667
Size:  277.2 KB
    Name:  life drawing 45.jpg
Views: 5650
Size:  350.1 KB Name:  life drawing 46.jpg
Views: 5646
Size:  383.7 KB Name:  life drawing 47.jpg
Views: 5639
Size:  229.4 KB

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter.JT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been quite busy the last few days as I had to take care of some stuff so I haven't had alot of time for any art work so I was only able to do a little which I guess is better than nothing. I thought I'd try out a new schedule of focusing on the head one week and then the next week I'd work on my figure drawing skills, and then rotate what I study every other week (e.g work on the skull and planes of the head one week, and then the next week I'd work on the abstraction, finished pieces from reference, and imaginary work) and see how it goes. I'm definitely going to start getting back into painting since I haven't done it in so long

What I was able to do over the last couple of days are some skull drawings from life since it's been awhile, and then a study of a Jeff Watt's drawing (spent a few hours on it, not sure how many, roughly 3?) with some notes where I drew the planes of the head and abstraction over the drawing as I wanted to see if his cross hatching correlated with one of them. I can notice a few areas where I went wrong such as drawing the head a tad too long, and the lips drawn smaller than they should.

Name:  skull life 3.jpg
Views: 5622
Size:  410.5 KB Name:  jeff watts study image.jpg
Views: 5630
Size:  215.0 KB Name:  jeff watts study.jpg
Views: 5611
Size:  470.3 KB Name:  jeff watts study notes.jpg
Views: 5611
Size:  115.8 KB

Thanks
    Apologies for the lack of updates this week, I'm hoping that next week I should be able to start posting more regularly. This week I've just been having some fun creating figures, some from reference and some from imagination since I feel like it's been awhile since I've done anything imaginary. The first page are figures based on the skeleton manikin which where done from reference, I took some poses I liked from comics and posters and recreated them using the skelly app.

From the second page onwards are figures I did from imagination using either the skeleton manikin or the ovoid manikin. I'm not sure how correct the figures are proportion wise, hopefully someone could point me in the right direction regarding that. Today I've been working on a still life painting which I'm about half way through, so I'll finish it off tomorrow but for now I'll just include the drawing of it.

Name:  skeleton mannikin 4.jpg
Views: 5588
Size:  304.0 KB Name:  skeleton mannikin 5.jpg
Views: 5578
Size:  289.3 KB Name:  skeleton mannikin 6.jpg
Views: 5577
Size:  285.4 KB Name:  skeleton mannikin 7.jpg
Views: 5576
Size:  306.7 KB Name:  still life drawing.jpg
Views: 5574
Size:  116.6 KB

Thanks
    I spent more time on Saturday working on the still life painting but it just kept going from bad to worse, I tried persevering with it but I just got too frustrated with it. I think my whole procedure for tackling the painting was all wrong. I attempted another still life today of some tangerines but again I had the same problem even though I thought I fixed my procedure.

I thought I would post what I got done anyway and include the reference, perhaps someone could offer some advice and I could continue it but for now I'm going to use it as a lesson to go back and start simple, create some colour charts based off the colours I'm using, stick to value studies for the time being, work in monochrome and slowly build my way up to working in colour, I want to get back into oil painting aswell.

I'm gonna start fresh tomorrow and focus on the head for the following week.

Name:  still life study.jpg
Views: 5562
Size:  113.6 KB Name:  still life ref.jpg
Views: 5557
Size:  348.9 KB

Thanks
    Just a quick update. I started a new job yesterday and didn't realize that I had to do full time hours this week as apart of my training so I'm doubtful that I will be able to get the amount of work done (if any) that I wanted to do this week since I don't get home till quite late. I should be good to go once this week is over. I might just spend this week catching up on my back log of art books/videos that I've been meaning to work my way through and there's quite alot haha.

Thanks
    thanks. Very great studys, i learned a lot. I should do them more often

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JiR View Post
    thanks. Very great studys, i learned a lot. I should do them more often
    Hi JiR thanks for the kind words. Sorry it took me so long to reply

- - - Updated - - -

My training period is over finally so I'm actually able to get some work done, I know I only took a week off but it feels like forever haha. I'm working different hours and days than I use to so I'm hoping that I'll have more time now to get work done and post more frequently.

Anyway some stuff from today, I got myself the classic asaro head the other week and this week I was focusing on the head so I thought I'd start it off my drawing the asaro head from some different angles. I was hoping to draw it from profile, straight on, and 3/4 view but the straight on view was more challenging than I thought so I didn't get a chance to get any of the 3/4 views done, that will have to wait till tomorrow. Again any feedback would be much appreciated.

Name:  asaro head profile.jpg
Views: 5511
Size:  336.6 KB Name:  asaro head straight.jpg
Views: 5514
Size:  336.0 KB

Thanks
    Haven't had as much time the last two days work wise, had plans yesterday with a friend and had to sort some things out today so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked. I moved onto the 3/4 view of the asaro head which I then transferred onto a 9/12 canvas and fixed some mistakes that I didn't notice when I was drawing it the first time. I've sealed the drawing and my plan is to start painting it tomorrow in oil, again I have pre existing plans with friends tomorrow night so I'll probably have to finish it on Saturday, and then move onto the 3/4 view from the left side.

Name:  asaro head 3.4 view.jpg
Views: 5481
Size:  290.0 KB Name:  asaro head 3.4 view 1.jpg
Views: 5475
Size:  309.3 KB

Thanks
    Spent most of yesterday working on the painting, I was going to take photos of the whole process at various stages but completely forgot (I'll make sure I do it on the next one). I used a monochrome palette (burnt umber and titanium white) and I was quite happy with the result. Feel like I understand value relationships abit better now, how a light value may not look particularly light on its own but it does compared to its surrounding values (if that makes any sense?).

Had alot of fun doing it and felt like I learned alot from it, might try another one sometime this coming week.

Name:  asaro 3.4 view ref.jpg
Views: 5461
Size:  194.6 KB Name:  asaro 3.4 view painting.jpg
Views: 5457
Size:  93.0 KB

Thanks
    Some anatomy studies from today from the Artistic Anatomy book, adding additional notes from Proko's video series.

I'm gonna try a personal piece tomorrow, been messing around with some rough sketches. My idea was to do a portrait of a skull king (very generic) since I have been focusing on the head this week. I think a good idea that I could try is to break down an illustration into smaller components and tackling them one at a time rather than jumping into doing a big finished piece. Work on figure construction, apply that knowledge to figure invention which I would do in pencil and then paint and just work my way up.

Name:  torso anatomy.jpg
Views: 5447
Size:  344.1 KB

Thanks
    Apologies for not posting for the last couple of days, I've been working on a piece from imagination and finally got back to my life drawing class, just my luck that my first class back the model had to cancel last minute so we spent the session drawing each other in 15 minute poses. I tried not lifting the pencil off the paper (not sure if you can tell or not) based off someone's advice over on crimson daggers. I was hoping they would light the model with an artificial light since it was an evening class but they didn't which was annoying, I'm going to look around and see if there are any other life drawing classes which use proper lighting.

For the piece I was doing from imagination, as I said last time my idea was to draw a skeleton king of some sort, went abit wild and thought about drawing it with armour on but quickly realized that I haven't had much practice drawing armour, let alone rendering it and thought I shouldn't go too crazy just attempt what I've had practice in since this is what it was all about anyway.

The pose and skull I drew from imagination, used some reference for how the cloak would sit on the body and some reference for how the skull would look lit from the angle I wanted. It turned out better than I thought actually, had a blast with it, not too happy with how I rendered the left side of the cloak, think I could of grouped the values better but oh well.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Name:  life drawing 48.jpg
Views: 5416
Size:  314.2 KB Name:  skeleton prep.jpg
Views: 5419
Size:  191.8 KB Name:  skeleton block in.jpg
Views: 5412
Size:  322.5 KB Name:  skeleton final.jpg
Views: 5410
Size:  442.0 KB

Thanks
    Great sketchbook and study ! The painting is really amazing ( azaro head ). Keep it up

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by féfé73 View Post
    Great sketchbook and study ! The painting is really amazing ( azaro head ). Keep it up
    Hey fefe73, thanks for stopping by! Thanks man, I'll do my best

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast