Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Apologies for not posting in awhile, got really stressed out last week (think I've been pushing all my worries to the back of my mind) and decided to take the rest of the week off and try and relax, but I'm back now.

First thing are some drawings from my portrait class from last week and last night, first page was from last week and I don't know why I struggled so much with it seeing as it was a straight on view, think I was just stressed. I keep on getting caught up in the little details and not focusing on the drawing as a whole.

Drew some heads from imagination which didn't go too well, I keep making the features look cartoonish, especially the eyes and definitely drawing the mouth too big so I need to be aware of those mistakes next time.

Starting this week I've been working through the Proko figure drawing series, attempted the robo bean but struggles with it so I thought maybe focusing on the regular bean might help me.

Name:  life drawing portrait.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  159.4 KB Name:  life drawing portrait 1.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  109.3 KB Name:  heads imaginary 3.jpg
Views: 1737
Size:  181.9 KB
    Name:  gesture 2 min 4.jpg
Views: 1737
Size:  467.0 KB Name:  gesture 2 min 5.jpg
Views: 1741
Size:  468.0 KB Name:  figure 10 min.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  453.9 KB Name:  bean.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  93.9 KB

I've still been working on my poster design but I've hot a brick wall and was hoping someone here knew how to sort it out? I tried changing the line colour but as you can see in the picture it doesn't seem to do it well. I had my drawing on about 3 layers, I combined them to 1 layer and grouped all the paths together (using Illustrator btw) and when I changed the colour it became all butchered and distorted. I have no prior experience with Illustrator so I don't know how to fix it.

Name:  poster problem.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  265.4 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some stuff mainly from Thursday/Friday. I was hoping to get alot done over the weekend but I've been busy taking care of other things so didn't have a whole lot of time.

Still working through the Proko figure drawing course and plan to start working through his anatomy course again this week. The 2 minute gesture drawings are from photos (which I've been doing as warm ups) and the other poses are from my weekly life drawing class.

I've ordered a book on screen printing so I'm hoping that will help me understand the process and what the hell is wrong with my current poster haha.

Just a quick note starting tomorrow I will be doing extra hours at work (for the foreseeable future) so I'm switching my life drawing class to a Monday and continuing my portrait class on a Tuesday so I probably won't be able to post till Wednesday since I get back late on those 2 days.

Name:  gesture 2 min 6.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  87.6 KB Name:  gesture 2 min 7.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  83.8 KB Name:  rib cage.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  91.7 KB
    Name:  life drawing 59.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  422.4 KB Name:  life drawing 61.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  481.2 KB Name:  life drawing 62.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  145.0 KB
    Name:  robo bean 1.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  231.2 KB Name:  robo bean 2.jpg
Views: 1735
Size:  224.9 KB Name:  robo bean 3.jpg
Size:  69.3 KB
    Name:  robo bean 4.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  235.8 KB Name:  robo bean 5.jpg
Size:  64.8 KB Name:  robo bean 6.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  243.7 KB

Thanks
    Stuff from the last few days. I tried a different approach in both my classes, rather than doing careful measuring and doing the whole construction routine, e..g drawing the head as a sphere first and dividing off the sections, I thought I'd block in the overall shape of the figure/head like they do in the videos that I've been watching.

I think this approach has worked quite well for me tbh, I was actually able to do a figure lay-in in 25 minutes rather than taking 45 minutes like it use to. Struggles on the lying down pose (damn them!), definitely need to practice them more.

Still working through the Proko courses, spent time working on the "bucket" for the pelvis but didn't get time to actually draw it, that will have to wait till tomorrow.

Name:  life drawing 63.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  90.7 KB Name:  life drawing 64.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  148.6 KB Name:  life drawing 65.jpg
Views: 1679
Size:  145.4 KB
    Name:  portrait life 4.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  95.7 KB Name:  gesture 2 min 8.jpg
Views: 1688
Size:  466.6 KB Name:  proko bucket.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  100.8 KB

Thanks
    Tonight's work. Started with gesture practice starting with 2 minute poses and then working my way down (never realized how quick 30 seconds is haha). Then I moved onto to drawing the pelvis which took me much longer to do than I thought it would. Top 5 are from the 3d model provided in Proko's course, the bottom 3 where my attempt to draw the pelvis from imagination.

I feel like I'm drawing the pelvis too short height wise, not entirely sure though....

Name:  gesture 2 min 9.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  487.4 KB Name:  gesture 1 min.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  487.4 KB Name:  gesture 30 sec.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  456.3 KB Name:  pelvis.jpg
Views: 1667
Size:  115.3 KB

Thanks
    Been busy the past few days so I don't have loads to show, hung out with a friends on Saturday who I haven't seen in awhile and had a family lunch to go to today. Spent Friday evening making some more masonite boards of different sizes, still have a few more that need priming. I was hoping to finally make the sketch easel from James Gurney's video (finally got everything I need aswell) but looks like that will be next weekends agenda.

Still tackling the human figure, I want to buckle down and get really good ant drawing the figure since the work I want to do is really figurative. Had a go at some trace overs working on the torso and pelvis which I really struggled with, mostly the pelvis though. I know something is wrong with the 3/4 view pose's pelvis, something about the sides of the pelvis towards the back looks off but not sure how it should look. Hopefully someone here can advise me on my errors.

Also had a go at some figure invention, inventing the robo skeleton, I was hoping to get more done but didn't expect it to take as long as it did so I'll have a go at some more during the week.

Name:  gesture 2 min 10.jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  84.5 KB Name:  gesture 1 min 2.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  77.4 KB
    Name:  torso skeleton.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  103.5 KB Name:  torso skeleton 2.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  100.7 KB Name:  figure invention.jpg
Views: 1637
Size:  120.8 KB

Masonite Panels
    Name:  panels.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  93.8 KB

Thanks
    Meant to post last night but fell asleep :tongue:

Here's what I've been working on this week. Stuff from my life drawing and portrait classes. Mainly lying down poses this week which, as you can see I suck at, I really need to practice them more. Didn't do a longer drawing this week like usual, it was a very stiff lying down pose and I just couldn't seem to get it right at all. :sad:

Portrait class - My lay-in looked decent but I just struggle with the value side of things, just can't seem to figure out how to combine all the shadow shapes of the face into 5 values or less. I was planning on starting the "Essentials of Realism" course over on Schoolism and see if that can help clarify things for me.

Some figure invention, first page was from work last week, had to rush them though because I was trying to draw without my manager or co-workers noticing haha, the rest are from yesterday.

Lastly started working through Proko's anatomy course again, gonna finish the rest of the pecs tomorrow, see where I went wrong and carry on.

Name:  life drawing 66.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  145.4 KB Name:  life drawing 67.jpg
Size:  359.3 KB Name:  portrait life 5.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  78.8 KB
    Name:  figure invention 1.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  173.2 KB Name:  figure invention 2.jpg
Size:  194.9 KB Name:  figure invention 3.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  202.9 KB Name:  figure invention 4.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  321.0 KB
    Name:  pectoralis major 1.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  381.0 KB Name:  pectoralis major 2.jpg
Size:  118.4 KB Name:  pectoralis major invention.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  388.2 KB Name:  pectoralis major invention 2.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  296.6 KB

Thanks
    Anatomy practices look great and your pencil renderings are looking good as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon Lizardman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Lizardman View Post
    Anatomy practices look great and your pencil renderings are looking good as well.
    Hey Demon Lizard thanks man Now I just need to work on those damn values haha.

Thanks
    Finished the rest of the pecs trace overs/invention. Took longer than I originally planned so I'll have to watch the critique video tomorrow and make corrections where needed.

I was thinking that I would work through the anatomy course for the next month, do a mix of trace overs, drawing from photos and figure invention and in a months time tackle a finished illustration, most likely a book illustration since I need to learn about screen printing and the whole digital side since I don't have a clue.

I see other peoples sketchbooks where they are working on finished illustrations every week or every other week but I'm definitely not at that point yet since I still lack the knowledge, and the fact that it takes me longer since I don't work digitally.

So anyway I've set myself that atm as my current goal to work towards, which will be mid March.

Name:  pectoralis major 3.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  73.4 KB Name:  pectoralis major 4.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  394.8 KB

Noticed half way through that I've been drawing the muscle fibres way too short so started drawing them longer.,
    Name:  pectoralis major 5.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  431.9 KB Name:  pectoralis major invention 3.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  334.9 KB Name:  pectoralis major invention 4.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  100.9 KB

Thanks

Update for the last few days. Didn't get time over the weekend to watch the pec answer videos and correct my mistakes, had to look after my little cousins so didn't get a chance to watch them and fix my mistakes until last night but I spent time with that and made a bunch of notes.

This week some more gesture drawing from photos, 30 sec, 1 min and 2 min. Stuff from my life drawing class, rather stiff with them as I started working out again the day before haha.

Still don't really understand the purpose of 10 min and 15 min figure drawing, feel like it's too long for a gesture drawing but not long enough for applying anatomy, maybe someone can explain the point to me?

Another lying down pose for the final drawing, they are the bane of my existence (please excuse the crappy face).

Didn't go to my portrait class this week, wanted to work on my anatomy corrections that night.

Working through the anatomy course more, just watched the abs video and had a go at some invention along with the pecs.

Name:  pectoralis major 1 correction.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  486.0 KB Name:  pectoralis major 2 correction.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  150.1 KB Name:  pectoralis major 3 correction.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  105.0 KB Name:  pectoralis major 4 correction.jpg
Views: 1621
Size:  128.7 KB Name:  pectoralis major 5 correction.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  127.0 KB
    Name:  pectoralis major invention correction.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  127.8 KB Name:  pectoralis major invention 2 correction.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  376.1 KB Name:  pectoralis major invention 3 correction.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  133.0 KB Name:  pectoralis major invention 4 correction.jpg
Size:  135.5 KB
    Name:  gesture 30 sec 1.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  84.3 KB Name:  gesture 1 min 3.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  90.0 KB Name:  gesture 2 min 11.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  103.2 KB Name:  life drawing 68.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  477.0 KB
    Name:  life drawing 69.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  429.2 KB Name:  life drawing 70.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  97.3 KB Name:  life drawing 71.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  158.9 KB Name:  pecs abs invention.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  106.6 KB

Thanks
    I wanted to revisit the pelvis since I have difficulties with it, mainly locating it on the body and drawing the correct ellipse. Basically chose another photo and attempted another trace over and breaking it down into the steps below.

It took alot longer than I had originally planned, wanted to do this first and move onto ab/pec drawing from photos but struggled with locating the landmarks and drawing the pelvis right so I'll do the drawings tomorrow and move onto some figure invention applying the muscles that I've been practicing so far.

Name:  figure trace over.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  319.5 KB Name:  figure trace over 2.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  212.8 KB Name:  figure trace over 3.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  242.4 KB Name:  figure trace over 4.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  262.5 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter.JT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Stuff from the last few days. Some figures from imagination and 1 while I was in work, incorporating the anatomy I've been studying so far but feel like it doesn't really show in these, I should do some figure invention where I specifically focus on what I've been studying rather than the whole figure.

As usual my work from my life drawing and portrait classes, struggled with the portrait because from my angle the face was mostly in shadow (damn overhead lights) but good news is that they are finally getting a spotlight! not sure when but hopefully soon.

More gesture practice and working my way through the Proko anatomy course some more.

Name:  figures imaginary 3.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  420.9 KB Name:  figure imaginary 3.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  387.8 KB Name:  life drawing 72.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  358.5 KB Name:  life drawing 73.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  392.3 KB Name:  life drawing 74.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  460.5 KB
    Name:  portrait life 6.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  93.0 KBName:  gesture 2 min 12.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  365.5 KB Name:  gesture 1 min 4.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  458.1 KB Name:  gesture 30 sec 2.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  407.0 KB
    Name:  breasts 1.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  393.7 KB Name:  breasts 2.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  342.7 KB Name:  breasts 3.jpg
Size:  346.1 KB
    Name:  obliques 1.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  360.4 KB Name:  obliques 2.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  340.1 KB Name:  obliques 3.jpg
Size:  271.2 KB

Thanks
    Stuff from tonight. Had another go at a anatomy trace over just focusing on the muscles that I've been studying so far. Struggled bit on the abs so had to re draw them a few times. Lastly some oblique invention as I still felt like I hadn't fully understood them from the videos and a few drawings.

My plan for tomorrow is to do a rendered figure drawing focusing on the torso, will quickly go over the serratus anterior muscles and latisimus dorsi videos and then crack on since I don't have enough time in my life drawing classs to produce a fully rendered piece.

Name:  anatomy trace over 1.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  289.7 KB Name:  anatomy trace over 1.1.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  312.0 KB
    Name:  obliques invention 1.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  143.3 KB Name:  obliques invention 2.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  131.4 KB

Thanks
    Thought I'd post even though I didn't finish the torso drawing that I mentioned doing.

Watched Proko's videos on torso drawing as I wanted to attempt a rendered figure drawing since I don;t get enough time at my life drawing class to really render. Watched his videos Friday and did the same process with my drawing, doing a bunch of studies (kinda felt like I was cheating by doing this, rather than measuring my eye etc) before the final drawing.

Really struggled with the value study, started it on Friday but didn't finish it till Saturday since I restarted it so many times. Found the other study's fairly easy in comparison (even though I forgot some measuring lines e.g ribcage length). Only included torso anatomy since I don't really know the anatomy of the arms/legs.

Spent around 2 hours today laying in the figure, started rendering but think I was too heavy handed and went too dark and went abit heavy on line weight, called it quits then as I got mad at myself and went and worked on some other things.

I'm going to attempt this drawing again during the week since I want to redeem myself.

Name:  torso prep.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  397.0 KB Name:  torso drawing.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  320.2 KB

Thanks
    Update for the last 2 days. Life drawing as usual, a bunch of 10 minute poses and one 45 minute pose to finish the session off, not sure if you can tell but the model was pregnant (about 6 months I believe), not sure if that made it easier or harder haha. Tried a softer approach trying not to rely on heavy line weight as such.

Didn't go to my portrait class tonight, I've had zero energy all day, got abit of work done but not as much as usual. I correct my mistakes from my oblique invention from last week, watched the videos on the shoulder muscles and had a go at some invention.

I'm trying to work through the back muscles this week, invent some figures trying to put what I'm learning into practice, spend a week on arm and leg anatomy each and perhaps a week on some value practice and then attempt a finished illustration.

Name:  life drawing 75.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  344.5 KB Name:  life drawing 76.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  77.3 KB Name:  obliques invention 1 correction.jpg
Views: 1468
Size:  186.0 KB Name:  obliques invention 2 correction.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  180.0 KB Name:  shoulder muscles invention.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  350.1 KB

Thanks
    Spent last night reading a bunch of short stories for this illustration that I want to do. I've decided which story I want to do a finished piece for and started roughly thinking about which segment I'd like to illustrate and started researching clothing for it.

Tonight I just continued with the anatomy course, tried some invention of all the back muscles before I watched the videos for the upper back muscles, just quickly looked at the handouts. It looks off to me but it might just be because the rest of the anatomy is missing.

Moved onto the upper back muscle videos and then tried some invention for them.

Want to quickly go back to the lower anatomy videos since I'm still a bit confused by some parts and do some studies of the shoulder, upper/lower back muscles (the homework in each section) since I've been working digitally the last few nights.

Got to work extra hours tomorrow so I'll try and get some of it done since I want to do some figure invention over the weekend and move onto arm anatomy next week.

Name:  back muscles invention.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  129.8 KB Name:  upper back muscles invention.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  443.3 KB Name:  upper back muscles invention 2.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  483.7 KB Name:  upper back muscles invention 3.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  423.9 KB

Thanks
    Been almost a week (I think) since I last posted. Must of caught something Friday night because I felt like crap all weekend so didn't get any work done.

Life drawing class was cancelled this week last minute (literally 30 minutes before it was due to start) so with the little time I had I started on some figure invention which I will finish off after I've worked on the arm muscles.

Portrait class this week I tried focusing on my values more, constantly squinting and taking a slower, softer approach rather than laying in my deepest blacks from the get go.

Apart from that some figure invention while on my lunch break in work (the ones in pen and red), moved onto the arm anatomy course so some arm bones trace overs (really struggled with these) and some deltoid/upper arm anatomy studies.

I can already see some mistakes which I will correct tomorrow.

Name:  figure invention 6.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  293.5 KB Name:  portrait life 7.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  366.2 KB Name:  figure invention 5.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  178.8 KB Name:  arm bones 1.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  108.1 KB
    Name:  arm bones 2.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  401.5 KB Name:  arm bones 3.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  351.1 KB Name:  deltoid 1.jpg
Size:  94.7 KB Name:  deltoid 2.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  82.2 KB
    Name:  deltoid 3.jpg
Size:  388.0 KB Name:  deltoid 4.jpg
Size:  468.8 KB Name:  upper arm 1.jpg
Size:  307.7 KB Name:  upper arm 2.jpg
Size:  455.8 KB

Thanks
    Was not motivated at all to do any studying on Friday so I had a go at drawing some figures from imagination and just had fun with it and carried it on through Saturday aswell (they took me awhile). I'm gonna have to set a day aside each week where I just draw from imagination and focus on what I was studying during the week otherwise it's not gonna stick!

Just stuck to working on the upper body and didn't bother with the legs since I haven't studied the anatomy for them yet.

Name:  figures imaginary 4.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  118.1 KB

Thanks
    Quick update for the last few days. Life drawing as usual, didn't include my 5 minute drawings since I got carried away and tried to do more than I could in the 5 minute period and forgot about gesture. For the the 45 min pose I focused on layin in the figure and applying my anatomy knowledge.

Moved onto the upper arm videos. Went too hard on my shading on the first 2 drawings so for the following 2 I looked at some of Proko's drawings and tried going lighter on my shading. Lastly some figure drawing drawing from imagination just applying what I've been studying so far.

Didn't attend my portrait class this week as I was out for a family meal for my aunt and uncle's birthday.

Name:  life drawing 77.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  430.6 KB Name:  life drawing 78.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  398.2 KB Name:  triceps study.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  337.1 KB
    Name:  triceps study 2.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  127.0 KB Name:  triceps study 3.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  111.7 KB Name:  triceps study 4.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  410.9 KB Name:  figure invention 7.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  138.5 KB

Thanks
    Been working till late the past week and felt too tired afterwards to post so here's a dump of some work from the past few days.

As usual life drawing and portraits from life. Model was a no show this week for portrait class so we ended up drawing each other for 30 mins each. Need to spend time doing quicker head drawings since these are quite bad, lost alot of the construction when shading so I will probably just focus on the construction side of things.

Tried working on my proportions which was suggested to me on another site, drawing the same image multiple times so I revisited one of the arms that I drew the other week. Definitely noticed my proportions being off so I'll need to be more conscious of that in the future.

Felt annoyed with the features I drew in my life drawing class so I drew my eye and lip casts a whole bunch of times and then tried redrawing them from memory to help me remember how they look. I was thinking about working form the Bargue Plates to help me remember how the features look from different angles?

Apart from that I drew a mead from imagination and tried rendering it which as you can see went horribly wrong but wanted to prove to myself that drawing from my casts helped my understanding so I drew another head from imagination haha.

I've also singed up for one of the Live streaming classes from Watts Atelier, doesn't start till end of April but really looking forward to getting feedback from Jeff himself.

Name:  life drawing 79.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  79.5 KB Name:  life drawing 80.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  307.0 KB Name:  portrait life 8.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  388.0 KB Name:  arm redo.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  82.4 KB
    Name:  lips cast life.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  416.1 KB Name:  lips imagination.jpg
Size:  411.7 KB Name:  eyes cast life.jpg
Size:  363.3 KB Name:  eyes memory.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  385.2 KB Name:  heads imagination.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  157.3 KB

Thanks
    Good stuff.

I particularly like the ones in which you made a section, singling out the feature you were focusing on. I gotta try that sometime!

I've noticed you're marking too much the line that comes from the nose and ends at the corners of the mouth. I think you could soften that area a little. It's only that sharp on older people, that are all wrinkled up on that area, which doesn't appear to be the study cases.

Keep it up!
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgo View Post
    Good stuff.

I particularly like the ones in which you made a section, singling out the feature you were focusing on. I gotta try that sometime!

I've noticed you're marking too much the line that comes from the nose and ends at the corners of the mouth. I think you could soften that area a little. It's only that sharp on older people, that are all wrinkled up on that area, which doesn't appear to be the study cases.

Keep it up!
    Thanks for stopping by pilgo

Glad that I can give you some ideas, and your definitely right about my hard lines, it's an area that I seem to be struggling with, definitely need to use less hard lines and take a softer approach.

Thanks
    Signed up to the "Essentials of Realism course" (not tutored) over at Schoolism and bought the "Figure Invention" video from MuddyColor's gumroad account which I watched and made alot of notes on (not sure if I can post them or not?).

Watched the first lesson for the Essentials of Realism course and made my own notes and then did the first assignment which was the Block-In exercise using the ref provided, watched the feedback videos and made notes/corrected my mistakes and then attempted my own block-in using a different ref.

My plan for this week was to work through as much of this course as possible, particularly the value section as I wanted to start an illustration next week.

My Attempt
    Name:  3 stage block in assignment.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  172.7 KB

Notes from feedback videos
    Name:  1.1.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  129.8 KB Name:  1.2.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  276.8 KB

My attempt from different ref
    Name:  3 stage block in assignment 2.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  171.6 KB

Thanks
    Still making my way through the Essentials of Realism course, probably spent most of my time the last few days making extensive notes since there is so much to take it. If a week's worth of videos is 1 -1.5 hours long i'm probably spending double that making notes haha. Currently on the 3rd week which is values which I'm looking forward tro since it was the main reason why I started the course.

Did another 3 stage block - in for the 1st week tracing over the ref. 2nd weeks homework was to do another 3 stage block -in but to make it bigger than the ref image (so not tracing over the image). Decided to do mine traditionally since that's what I primarily work in. It doesn't look like it but the drawing is bigger than the ref, I just tried to make them a similar size for the purpose of posting.

I will definitely need to do more of these since I'm noticing quite a few proportional errors which all looked correct during the drawing process but once comparing them side to side to the ref you can tell my accuracy is still quite not where it needs to be.

Name:  3 stage block in assignment 3.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  236.4 KB Name:  block in assignement 2.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  287.8 KB

Here's a portrait from my life drawing class as usual, changed my approach this time and tried the 3 stage block in rather than constructing the head. Not sure how I feel about this approach though since it felt like I was merely copying rather than constructing which isn't what I want to do. I will have to find a way to utilise some of this knowledge such as the approach to shadow shapes and use it with the Watts method as that is the approach I want to learn fully.

The eyes look very gozzy on the drawing but in my defense he was falling asleep haha.

Name:  portrait life 9.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  393.5 KB

Thanks
    Good studies!

Watch out for proportions, though. The woman's face got squashed down a bit and the goatee guy skull shape looks a bit odd.

Maybe look into some measurement method.
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgo View Post
    Good studies!

Watch out for proportions, though. The woman's face got squashed down a bit and the goatee guy skull shape looks a bit odd.

Maybe look into some measurement method.
    Yh the drawing of the female head did not go as planned, all my measuring lines looked correct at the time but clearly my eye accuracy is not as good as I thought. With the male head I tried just blocking it in like in the schoolism course, I usually do the construction method but didn't for this drawing which is probably why the proportions are all over the place.

Thanks
    Spent the weekend following a suggestion I got on another site that I post on which was to go back to the Reilly method again, drawing from ref and trying again from memory. So far I've only managed to work through some of the Reilly Head (did't think it would take me so long) doing a page using the handout provided and a page from memory.

I'm gonna start an illustration Tuesday which I was gonna spend about 3 weeks on, try and finish for the 24th if possible because that is when the live streaming class starts. I definitely want to atleast work through the value section of the schoolism course next week to help with the illustration so it might be that I only work on the reilly and loomis heads while in work.

Name:  reilly portrait.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  292.5 KB Name:  reilly portrait memory.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  347.6 KB Name:  reilly front view.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  155.0 KB

Thanks
    Stuff from the last few days. Finished the Reilly front view page, had a trickier time with this view because of the amount of abstraction lines, noticed that I drew some heads too wide drew the eyes too close on some etc. Think the final attempt was my best crack at it so now I just need to draw them more over the next few months years etc until it all sinks in.

Life drawing for this week as usual, still need to work on my 10-15 min drawings, think I spend too long on the gesture which results in the pose feeling quite stiff so I will have to practice them at home. Lastly some sketches from my sketchbook, took the front view of the reilly head and worked on it abit.

Apart from that I've gone through weeks 3 and 4 of the Schoolism course and made notes and I started to work on the illustration tonight just doing some thumbnail sketches. Doing the thumbnail sketches is something I always struggle with, I'll have the idea in my head but still can't quite translate what I'm thinking onto paper. Think I might look at some composition rules/guidelines since my compositions suck.
    My plan for the illustration was to have finished rough comps and take one to a more finished state by the end of this week, take ref photos, take the comp to a finished state and have some colour comps by the end of next week, and paint the whole thing the week after.

Name:  reilly head portrait.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  365.2 KB Name:  life drawing 81.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  269.5 KB Name:  life drawing 82.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  268.2 KB Name:  life drawing 83.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  65.8 KB Name:  sketchbook upload 2.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  167.0 KB

Thanks
    Why so little comments? Amazing stuff in here Your anatomy knowledge is really showing and all those technical studies seem to be paying off well
    May I ask where you get your refs for both photos and skeletons?
    Keep sharing!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to braineater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by braineater View Post
    Why so little comments? Amazing stuff in here Your anatomy knowledge is really showing and all those technical studies seem to be paying off well
    May I ask where you get your refs for both photos and skeletons?
    Keep sharing!
    Hi braineater thanks for stopping by. Thanks for the kind words, phew I'm glad someone is seeing an improvement, it's hard to tell when your studying on your own so I'm glad I'm improving.

For the ref, if it's a black/white portrait/figure photo then they are all from the Watts Atelier online course (they have handouts for each video which contains all these photos). The rest of the ref is from Proko's online course and I believe a few of them are from his photo sets that he sells on his website. The skeleton ref is from Proko's skelly app. It's a poseable skeleton which you can rotate, change the lighting on, and switch between a regular skeleton and a simplified skeleton which is really good.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter.JT For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast