Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Been struggling with motivation the last 2 days, trying to work through it though! Went to a portrait class last night, thought it was going to be a few quick poses first and then a longer pose but it was a single pose session so I ended up with 3 drawings.

Lastly some drawings from my eye cast since I kept on having issues drawing the eyes in the portrait class I decided to work on them today. I really need to work on my eyes more, not happy with my drawings today but I'll get there.

Name:  portrait life 1.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  314.8 KB Name:  portrait life 2.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  288.3 KB Name:  eye cast 3.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  405.9 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Great sketchbook! The watts atelier stuff looks like stuff I would love to do myself.

I'm intrigued by the last study of the eye cast. What's the lesson behind that one?

Thanks
    I like the 3 portraits, they're decent.

Also, that last photo. You're onto the right idea. Do a couple hundred eyes (1 minute gestures are fine in my experience) and your understanding of them will improve.
    'Harsh' critiques are always welcome.

​Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=329905

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCowan View Post
    Great sketchbook! The watts atelier stuff looks like stuff I would love to do myself.

I'm intrigued by the last study of the eye cast. What's the lesson behind that one?

Hey Joe thanks alot man I definitely recommend the online course it's helped me alot, it's shown me the things that I need to learn to do what I want to do and how to go about it.

Regarding the eye casts, basically I suck at drawing eyes and in the online course they recommend purchasing the facial features if possible, draw them a bunch of times and remember how each of the ideal features looks like and when you go to a portrait class or drawing from imagination you basically try and remember how the ideal versions looked like and alter them to fit the model your drawing from or to suit whatever it is your trying to portray in an imagined piece. I hope my bad explanation helped at all haha.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mervaa View Post
    I like the 3 portraits, they're decent.

Also, that last photo. You're onto the right idea. Do a couple hundred eyes (1 minute gestures are fine in my experience) and your understanding of them will improve.

Thanks Mervaa, it's been awhile since I've been to a live portrait class, I'm going to start attending them weekly once the new year comes round and hopefully see alot of improvement.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it ago next time I;m drawing from my eye cast.

Thanks
    Tried working through but felt rather burnt out so I took thur-fri off just to recharge, made some masonite boards friday night which was fun since I've never done it before and I decided to have a go at painting the skeleton figure that I drew last week which has been what I've been up to today. I have a few progress shots below, I've worked on it more than I have in the last photo but when I tried taking a photo half the image was flushed with white from my lamp since the paint is still wet so I'll take a photo tomorrow and complete it tomorrow aswell. Lastly some doodles that I did the other day while in work.

Name:  skeleton 1.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  381.3 KB Name:  skeleton 2.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  408.4 KB Name:  work drawings 1.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  179.8 KB

Thanks
    Finished the painting tonight. I'm fairly happy with it, feel like I could of done a better job on the cloak but since I have been working on it all day yesterday and a few hours today I felt like I got to the point where I was over working it so thought it was best to leave it. I added some texture in the background with a palette knife to initially cover up the brush marks but actually liked how it turned out.

I messed up the bottom of the painting since I didn't like how the body abruptly ended so I basically tried to vignette the bottom but with paint........ I really should of planned for that but oh well, lesson learned.

Again any feedback would be great.

Name:  skeleton 3.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  378.5 KB Name:  skeleton final 1.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  421.8 KB

Thanks
    It's been awhile since I last updated. I tried getting out of the rut I was in, decided to switch things up by taking a break from working on my portrait/figure drawing skills and work on something else so I decided to go back to studying perspective from the Erik Olsen lessons from NMA since I haven't practice it for so long.

Not too much workwise, couldn't seem to get out of the rut even though I thought changing things up would help so I took a few days off. Haven't had alot of time this week since I've been doing more hours in work this week to cover for a friend but I should be good to go starting next week and get back into the swing of things!

Here's a few perspective practice that I did aswell as a portrait from last nights portraiture class which I didn't get to finish in the time frame.

Name:  perspective 1.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  428.6 KB Name:  perspective 2.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  474.2 KB Name:  perspective 3.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  403.0 KB Name:  perspective 4.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  488.0 KB Name:  perspective 5.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  47.8 KB Name:  perspective 6.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  453.9 KB Name:  portrait life 3.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  446.7 KB

Thanks
    It's nice to see you progress through the sketchbook, you are obviously working hard and I admire that. Keep it up and you will be where you want to be in no time.

Thanks
    Very nice studies, especially the perspective ones are the most clean studies I have ever seen. If you feel in a rut maybe try draw something that you find "fun", you're doing a lot of studies which is very important but it's fine to have some fun now and then to make sure that you continue enjoy doing this. You want to do finished illustrations at some point so having a go at some fun projects like that already would be a good idea. Keep at it, definitely very nice studies.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CreatedMorr View Post
    It's nice to see you progress through the sketchbook, you are obviously working hard and I admire that. Keep it up and you will be where you want to be in no time.

Hi CreatedMorr thanks for stopping by. I try my best, always think I can work even harder but I guess that's how everyone else feels aswell haha. Thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kessel View Post
    Very nice studies, especially the perspective ones are the most clean studies I have ever seen. If you feel in a rut maybe try draw something that you find "fun", you're doing a lot of studies which is very important but it's fine to have some fun now and then to make sure that you continue enjoy doing this. You want to do finished illustrations at some point so having a go at some fun projects like that already would be a good idea. Keep at it, definitely very nice studies.
    Hey Dennis thanks for comment. I'm surprised they are the cleanest you've seen tbh, I'm just using my trusty drawing board and ruler haha. Your definitely right about doing more finished pieces, I just seem to get stuck in the mindset of doing study after study because I don't feel like my skills are at the point I want them to be to do the work I want, but we've all been guilty of that haha. I'm going to take your advice and work on something this week which I will make into a finished piece. Gotta start somewhere.

Thanks
    Some work from the last few days. I attended my life drawing class Thursday night and I was very rusty which was more evident in my quick sketches which weren't that great, I just need to get back into the swing of things. My last drawing was an hour long pose which I was quite pleased with, wasn't able to finish it in class so I attempted to work on it some more at home but I butchered it. Atleast I tried.

I don't think I'll be able to attend my classes weekly until the new year, there's a bus strike in my city so it's near impossible for me to get home which is a pain.

Lastly some more perspective practice, thought I'd experiment with how a cube of the same size, position, and distance would look from different eye levels, changing the eye level by a foot so I went from 6-3 foot.

I'm also brainstorming some ideas for a band poster which I plan to be a finished illustration, spent a few hours earlier messing around with thumbnails but don't have anything substantial yet but will post when I do.

Name:  life drawing 49.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  246.7 KB Name:  life drawing 50.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  370.8 KB Name:  life drawing 60.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  303.5 KB
    Name:  life drawing 51.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  265.2 KB Name:  life drawing 52.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  266.3 KB Name:  perspective 7.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  475.5 KB Name:  perspective 8.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  58.1 KB

Thanks
    Some perspective practice from today and yesterday, following along with Erik Olsen's perspective series on NMA.

First diagram is a 10x10x10 room standing 12 feet away at an eye level of 6 feet. Then I had a go myself, kept the room size and sp/el the same but positioned the room more to the right. I then had a little bit of fun and had a go at doing a drawing of a living room which I did a quick floor plan which I shaded in and with tracing paper on top, drew the room from imagination which I then messed around with in photoshop cropping it to 9x12 and playing around with the composition on the page.

I'm still working on my band poster idea, I have the idea but having abit of trouble of composing it on the page but my plan is to work on it some more tomorrow.

Name:  perspective 9.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  466.2 KB Name:  perspective 9.5.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  429.9 KB
    Name:  perspective 10.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  75.8 KB Name:  perspective 11.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  120.7 KB Name:  perspective 12.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  116.0 KB

Thanks
    Apologies for not posting in so long, had to do extra hours at work but I have a few days off now so I have plenty of time to get work done.

I've been working on a poster design for the last week. I've been having alot of difficulties with the design, I had this grand idea in my head but I just couldn't seem to translate that idea onto paper. I didn't want to give up on it so I've been persevering with it although I feel like my idea doesn't really equate the amount of time that I've put in so far, but I'm guessing that process gets easier/quicker with time....I hope.

To sum up my idea it was basically a bunch of druid girls in a woodland setting either carrying or releasing lanterns into the night, that's the idea that kept popping into my head from listening to the artists songs.

I've got a bunch of sketches and an idea that i liked that I worked abit more on in Photoshop adding basic values. I feel like I'm at the point now where I've done all I can without using reference.

I'm gonna go to my local park tomorrow to take some photos of the woodland setting and my friend has agreed to pose for me, just need to find out when she is free.

My plan was to work on this the next couple of weeks alongside my regular practice and see how it goes.

Name:  poster idea 1.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  152.6 KB Name:  poster idea 2.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  454.9 KB Name:  poster idea 3.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  175.0 KB Name:  poster idea 4.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  140.0 KB

Thanks
    Sorry for the lack of updates, been quite hectic the last week so I haven't had a whole lot of time to do work, it's been killing me. Once the Christmas period is over I should hopefully be bale to go back to my old schedule.

Been working my way through the perspective series, I want to get these core concepts down as quick as possible so I can move onto playing around with perspective and create some interesting scenes and have some fun with it. I got myself another cast last month but hadn't had the time to work from it so I thought I'd do some drawings from it.

Lastly I've been working on my poster idea some more, went out to my local park last Monday and gathered some reference imagery and some of myself for the pose. Spent the day yesterday in Photoshop refining my initial sketch some more (will add more detail and work on the trees and plants and face/hands when I come to ink it) and added some value just the flesh out the scene more, I really should of gone with a less detailed idea for my first screen printed poster but I guess there would be no fun in that.

I need to work on the background abit more, not happy with it atm, I was thinking of adding thicker trees to make it look more like she is in a forest. Need to figure out how I will ink it aswell.

I was going to do it by hand since I have no experience of inking in photoshop/illustrator but I only have an A4 scanner so I'm not sure if I should draw it smaller so i can scan it in one go and scan at a higher dpi so I can enlarge it (poster is 9x24), or to ink it at the intended size but on separate sheets of paper and scan it?

Don't know if anymore here has experience with this sort of thing and could possibly help?

Name:  cast lips.jpg
Size:  281.7 KB Name:  perspective 13.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  56.7 KB Name:  perspective 14.jpg
Size:  66.3 KB Name:  perspective 15.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  74.3 KB Name:  poster final sketch 1.jpg
Size:  154.9 KB

Thanks
    Quick update on the poster that I'm working on. I worked some more on the last sketch that I posted since I wasn't happy with the background and originally I wanted to ink this by hand, scan it and colour it digitally. Spent a whole day last week messing around with printing it off on a single sheet of paper and across multiple sheets of A4 since that is the max size that my scanner can scan at but I found it to be too small for me to ink.

I've decided that I'm going to ink it in Illustrator (and colour it) since I'll be able to add the amount of detail that I'm after so atm i'm taking my refined sketch (first image out of the 2 posted) and taking it to a finished piece and then exporting it to Illustrator so that I can ink it.

Having some issues atm with my graphics tablet working correctly in Illustrator. My tablet seems to be drawing when my pen is only a few milimetres above the tablet surface, but it's only in Illustrator that I have this problem. I'm hoping to fix it in the next day or 2 because I want to finish this poster by the weekend.

Name:  poster final 1.1.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  160.0 KB Name:  poster final 2.2.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  120.5 KB

Thanks
    Here is the finished design for the poster in Photoshop, still need to add the lantern and the silhouettes inside but I'll do that in Illustrator. All i need to do now is export it to Illustrator to be inked and then coloured. Having even more issues with my tablet ....sigh, been in touch with the manufacturer and trying their suggestions but now the tablet won't work all together.

Maybe this is the right time take the plunge and get myself an Intuos Pro, had this tablet for around 3 years now and wasn't particularly expensive so maybe I could do with an upgrade.

Not sure when I'll be able to finish this now, will have to wait and see if I can get my current tablet fixed or if I buy a new one, hopefully it will be soon.

As always and feedback would be much appreciated.

Name:  poster final design 1.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  159.9 KB

Thanks
    Since I still can't use my tablet I thought I'd do some other stuff until I sort it out so here's a self portrait from today.

I wanted to complete this portrait as if I was in a life drawing class so I set myself a time limit of 4 hours and drew directly using the paint rather than spending hours on a pencil under drawing since I would not have that kind of time if I were in a class.

I used the Zorn palette for this one on a 9x12 masonite board. I'm still struggling with getting my values right when painting, I find that I will paint the same area a good few times before I get the value right (or as right as I can). Definitely need to work on my colours haha and start utilizing the asaro head more, just means I need to practice more.!

Name:  self portrait direct approach.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  90.7 KB

Thanks
    Hey bro great work, can i ask what program or book you are following ?

Thanks
    Hey Dirtyurch thanks alot Currently I'm following the Watts Atelier Online programme aswell as the Eric Olson Perspective series on NMA. Any anatomy work (which I really need to get back to) is from following the Proko premium videos. Hope that helped.

- - - Updated - - -

Not alot today, struggling to get back into study mode, think my brain is still set to christmas mode haha. I'm going back onto my study schedule for abit until I get a new tablet and then I can finish my poster. Some perspective stuff from today. Need to plan a schedule which includes portrait, figure and perspective practice.

Need to sort out my lighting set up for when I take these photos, I have 2 lamps shining on my drawings/paintings when I do them but it doesn't seem to be enough, maybe I should look into one of those umbrellas photographers use.

Name:  perspective 16.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  470.0 KB Name:  perspective 17.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  65.2 KB

Thanks
    Some skull studies from today. It's been quite awhile since I've drew the skull and the asaro head so my plan was to spend today and tomorrow refreshing my memory on them. I'm in the process of trying to be able to mount my skull to a tripod so that I can draw it from any angle with ease.

Name:  skull life 4.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  319.3 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter.JT View Post
    Need to plan a schedule which includes portrait, figure and perspective practice.
    I'm doing that right now after a long break. Was thinking about 2 sessions of 3 hrs for each per week + a couple of sessions of master studies and anatomy. Would be interesting to see how you would handle it.

I'm also following Watts, and was thinking about doing Erik Olson's perspective course as it seems very long and rigorous. Have you come far? What do you think about it?

Have you tried taking photos outside during daylight and clear sky? That worked well for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blad View Post
    I'm doing that right now after a long break. Was thinking about 2 sessions of 3 hrs for each per week + a couple of sessions of master studies and anatomy. Would be interesting to see how you would handle it.

I'm also following Watts, and was thinking about doing Erik Olson's perspective course as it seems very long and rigorous. Have you come far? What do you think about it?

Have you tried taking photos outside during daylight and clear sky? That worked well for me.
    Hey Blad how are you doing? That sounds like a good plan to me, I've actually got a portrait class and life drawing class twice a week which I go to so our schedules sound quite similar (not including the other work I do outside of those classes). I'm planning on going back to studying anatomy actually and I should really do more master studies, it's been awhile haha.

It's nice to see someone else following along with the Watts online. How are you finding it? I'm actually planning on taking some of the new live streaming classes that they offer, although that wouldn't be until May time.

Tbh I've been quite slow with the perspective course because I watch the video first and then do the work so I can only work through a couple of videos/practice at a time before I need to go to bed so I can;t say for sure how far I've come with it so far, mainly because i'm still towards the beginning, so it's concepts that I already knew. I'm liking the course so far, from what I can see it seems to cover everything you need to know. I know some people complained about him repeating himself alot but I like that because he is constantly reminding you of those fundamental concepts so you can't forget them.

I would take my pics during the day but it would have to be the following day since I work in the day time and do all my practice in the afternoon/evening. I could give it ago though.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter.JT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some stuff from the last few days. Finished drawing the asaro head some more from life and then had a go at testing my knowledge by re drawing the head from memory from the same angles. I feel like I got the general picture in the sense that it looks like an asaro head but got abit shakey when it came to the nose and cheek planes so I'll have to remember to focus on them next time I study from them.

My life drawing class started again which I was excited for. I was fairly pleased with my 3 min drawings (mainly the bottom left one) but not so much with the 10 min poses. I feel like I lost the gesture/energy because I thought I had more time than I actually had. Wasn't pleased with my final long(ish) pose. I seem to struggle with drawing women's faces.

Following on from my life drawing I went back to portrait practice, focusing on 15 sec and 5 min poses (I'l post the ref I used tomorrow). From these I've noticed that I need to work on my accuracy with the pencil and timing (need to get quicker). I've started work on a long portrait drawing but I've been quite ill the last 2 days so I'm gonna finish it tomorrow.

Btw I've ordered a new tablet which should arrive by the end of the week so I can finally finish the poster that I was working on.

I've been getting annoyed lately because I feel like I'm not improving at all, maybe it's because I'm constantly looking at my work so I can't see the improvement, I'm just worried that I'm not improving at all. But I guess all I can do is persevere.

Name:  asaro head life.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  238.5 KB Name:  asaro head memory.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  245.5 KB Name:  life drawing 53.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  272.3 KB
    Name:  life drawing 54.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  281.4 KB Name:  life drawing 55.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  298.6 KB Name:  heads 5 min.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  271.9 KB Name:  heads 5 min 2.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  260.8 KB

Thanks
    Here's the reference I used yesterday for the 5 min portraits. I'm feeling much better today so I was able to complete the portrait drawing that I started yesterday. Decided to start again on it because I wasn't happy with what I had done yesterday.

In total I spent 2.5 hours on it. It turned out much better than I thought tbh which was a pleasant surprise. I'm still seeing some issues with general accuracy and value control (not pleased with how the wrinkles on the forehead turned out), and I really need to learn of a good way to draw hair haha. I really need to make the time to start incorporating these longer studies/finished pieces into my routine.

Name:  5 min portrait ref.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  122.1 KB Name:  5 min portrait ref 2.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  314.4 KB
    Name:  portrait photo.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  381.4 KB Name:  portrait photo ref.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  240.4 KB

Thanks
    Watts online

I like the structure. I'm currently on Head Phase II, and my only wish is that he would explain the features a bit better and bring one or to up to a higher finish. He seems a bit stressed sometimes.

I'm considering the streams myself, and mostly just to hear him talk. :p I find him very motivating. He seems to be obsessed with art.

perspective course
    Sounds good. I don't mind it if he repeats himself often. I'm in possession of Scott Robertson's book on perspective. I suspect that Olson's course and Robertson's book overlap in a few areas, but mostly deal with different things? I can't remember if you've read the book.

Also, nice memorization of the planes on the classic asaro. I've only bothered with memorizing the skull so far.

I can relate to what you are saying about not improving. Constantly I'm thinking "What if what I'm doing won't take me anywhere close to where I would like to be". I'm gonna watch Jeff's attempt at cast drawing now, and hopefully be successful in my attempt later.

Have a nice day.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blad View Post
    I like the structure. I'm currently on Head Phase II, and my only wish is that he would explain the features a bit better and bring one or to up to a higher finish. He seems a bit stressed sometimes.

I'm considering the streams myself, and mostly just to hear him talk. :p I find him very motivating. He seems to be obsessed with art.

Sounds good. I don't mind it if he repeats himself often. I'm in possession of Scott Robertson's book on perspective. I suspect that Olson's course and Robertson's book overlap in a few areas, but mostly deal with different things? I can't remember if you've read the book.

Also, nice memorization of the planes on the classic asaro. I've only bothered with memorizing the skull so far.

I can relate to what you are saying about not improving. Constantly I'm thinking "What if what I'm doing won't take me anywhere close to where I would like to be". I'm gonna watch Jeff's attempt at cast drawing now, and hopefully be successful in my attempt later.

Have a nice day.

Yh I know what you mean about the features, he only takes them to the lay-in stage. It would be nice to see each feature rendered completely with him talking about it. Maybe I'll see you in one of the streams sometime soon.

I have read Scott's book, not in awhile though. I think they do overlap in some ares with the cone of vision and the ellipses in perspective, I really need to read it again to refresh my memory.

Thanks man, it's been awhile since I last drew the asaro head, let alone from memory so I;ve made quite a few mistakes haha. I think I've got the skull down from the basic angles but nothing else, I need to catch up to you!

I think I'm just being too hard on myself (aren't we all?), it doesn't help that all I do is work, come home and work some more. I really need to find a better balance.

Good luck with your cast drawing Blad.

Thanks
    Here's what I've been working on the last few days. Started working through Proko's figure drawing course again to help me improve my figure drawing so did some bean practice from some of his model packs aswell as 2 minute gesture drawings. I also re watched Jeff Watts lay in videos and tried applying the principles so far from the both of them in my life drawing class which I think helped alot.

I've noticed I having some issues with the gesture sometimes for the body and quite alot for the legs, can't seem to figure it out.

My new tablet arrived yesterday so I mostly messed around with it yesterday, setting it up and playing with the features.
    I could finally correct my asaro head drawings from memory that I did. I'm getting the general likeness but i'm messing up when it comes to the shapes of the planes in a few areas such as the nose and eyes but atleast I know where I need to focus my attention next time.

Spent today working on inking my poster design (finally), it's definitely gonna take me a few days to complete since I've never done it before and will continue working on it tomorrow.

Name:  figure bean.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  256.8 KB Name:  gesture 2 min.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  271.6 KB Name:  gesture 2 min 2.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  252.9 KB Name:  gesture 2 min 3.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  310.2 KB
    Name:  figure lay in.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  440.9 KB Name:  life drawing 56.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  249.0 KB Name:  life drawing 57.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  280.1 KB Name:  life drawing 58.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  90.5 KB Name:  asaro head fix.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  475.9 KB Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  127.7 KB

Thanks
    Progress on the poster design. Once I finish this poster I should definitely practice some inking haha.

Name:  poster final 2.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  110.8 KB

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast