Thanks

tips for Mood & Ambience?

Hi, i'm currently learning about mood, ambiance, atmosphere or whatever that is
    I did couple digital paintings with different palettes, i started with grayscale first & paint over with color
    these are my finished study:
    ( Click to show/hide )
    Name:  red_moonlight_by_ihf95-dbjrudn.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  45.1 KBName:  at_the_peak_by_ihf95-dbi9kpa.png
Views: 1007
Size:  275.3 KBName:  temple_plateau_by_ihf95-dbgebhx.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  40.4 KBName:  distant_mansion_by_ihf95-dbi4e3l.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  30.5 KB

Can you give me some tips or advices? thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Limit your value range, pure blacks are hardly ever flattering. When emphasizing mood you generally want to be even more delicate with your value jumps. Try to emphasize lighting and atmospheric perspective more than solid shapes.

The first two are almost monochromatic, which generally does not feel particularly moody. Subtle shifts that entice the eye and imagination are important. Color and light is a spectrum and nearby hues tend to mingle, especially in dramatic lighting contexts.

In the lower two pieces you approach this more closely but you're being too liberal with artificial saturated colors. Try to be more restrained with high chroma, especially in noticeably artificial hues such as the blue. Keep it to a few select strokes.

You don't have to define everything but shadows are important to establish, even if they are very subtle (not so much darker than the lit areas). It helps establish depth and creates visual complexity for the eye to wander. For instance, the cloud shadows in the second and third piece could be quite bulbous.

The last piece has a solid sense of mood but the large stretches of black are hideous.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeWest View Post
    The first two are almost monochromatic, which generally does not feel particularly moody.
    Could you elaborate on that? How does having a limited hue range limit your potential moodiness?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeraz View Post
    Could you elaborate on that? How does having a limited hue range limit your potential moodiness?
    Maybe it's my prejudice and I'm oversimplifying, but monochromaticity is a medium that emphasizes form and definition, which is rarely the focus in moody painting. Mood tends to emphasize feeling, impression, light and ambience. Complex or dramatic lighting and ambience almost invariably demand variations in hue, and last but not least, color is the main chalice for mood or feel. Even very abstract splotches of color can easily be determined to have a feeling. This does not necessitate a great amount of color - moody paintings tend to have a very limited palette, but there is a palette! Monochromatic pieces rarely provoke and lead the eye well.

There are always exceptions to these rules but why complicate it to a beginner? the way I see it, monochromatic moody pieces are in great need of an expert touch to not simply appear "loose". You can define ambience and create mood monochromatically by greatly varying the level of detail, like Russian academic draftsmen tend to do.
    Last edited by MikeWest; August 13th, 2017 at 08:50 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 762 Posts
    Maybe it's my prejudice and I'm oversimplifying, but monochromaticity is a medium that emphasizes form and definition, which is rarely the focus in moody painting. Mood tends to emphasize feeling, impression, light and ambience. Complex or dramatic lighting and ambience almost invariably demand variations in hue, and last but not least, color is the main chalice for mood or feel. Even very abstract splotches of color can easily be determined to have a feeling. This does not necessitate a great amount of color - moody paintings tend to have a very limited palette, but there is a palette! Monochromatic pieces rarely provoke and lead the eye well.

There are always exceptions to these rules but why complicate it to a beginner? the way I see it, monochromatic moody pieces are in great need of an expert touch to not simply appear "loose". You can define ambience and create mood monochromatically by greatly varying the level of detail, like Russian academic draftsmen tend to do.
    I see. Maybe you should do an overpainting of one of the first two landscapes to show the effects of having a greater hue variety. It would be interesting to see the difference.

Thanks
    Saw this today: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LwKQv Maybe some kind of contrast of dark/cold + hot/bright?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeraz View Post
    I see. Maybe you should do an overpainting of one of the first two landscapes to show the effects of having a greater hue variety. It would be interesting to see the difference.
    In the lower two pieces you approach this more closely but you're being too liberal with artificial saturated colors. Try to be more restrained with high chroma, especially in noticeably artificial hues such as the blue. Keep it to a few select strokes.
    all right, before i re-paint it, i did some tweaking with adjustment layers
    ( Click to show/hide )
    Name:  f.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  107.3 KB

not sure if it's too vibrant or actually looks nice, what do you think?
    For the first two images, yes, i intended to do some monochrome (because i did some composition study)
    & I used a brighter color but it ended so badly & had to use darker color (i used blacks because i did some vignetting)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by themax View Post
    Saw this today: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LwKQv Maybe some kind of contrast of dark/cold + hot/bright?
    wow thanks, that's what i mean, i can use this as a reference, however i always bad with hard stroke like that.
    I still really don't understand much about color theory (except the cold/hot ones)

Thanks
    You pretty much did the opposite of what I suggested, so no, I don't like it. You're doing the visual equivalent of turning an amp to 11, how is that ever going to translate as moody?

Thanks
    You pretty much did the opposite of what I suggested, so no, I don't like it. You're doing the visual equivalent of turning an amp to 11, how is that ever going to translate as moody?
    I was just messing around with saturation honestly. Dunno though, i always messed up with color mixing. Anyway thanks, I'm gonna re-paint or use different shapes & do what you said earlier, especially limiting my value (i have few scanned perspective drawing, maybe i can use these).