Thanks

Does she look manly?

I'm not all that experienced with drawing the female form (let alone from imagination). So I was wondering if you guys could look this over and tell me what you think? What could I do to make her look more feminine. Those breasts are in 'hang on let me look for reference' stage at the moment.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  50.1 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,097 Times in 868 Posts
    Her torso is way too short and, yes, she looks too masculine.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Draw her shoulders thinner and hips wider.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    Her torso is way too short and, yes, she looks too masculine.
    Keep it mind the compression of the abdominals as one bends foward. Does that come across clearly?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,097 Times in 868 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantano View Post
    Keep it mind the compression of the abdominals as one bends foward. Does that come across clearly?
    Nope. Bending forward should make me look into the top plane of the shoulder girdle, which isn't the case here. I think it helps to take step back, and work this out with boxes for rib cage and pelvis...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    I think it helps to take step back, and work this out with boxes for rib cage and pelvis...
    here is demo for it by proko

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonec View Post
    here is demo for it by proko
    cheers stonec, but I think I'll just turn her into a man just to be safe. I want to enter this into a drawing competiton for young artists along with others I have made. Heres an update
Views: 1082
Size:  44.8 KB

Thanks
    hehe too many michelangelo studies does that to ya looking for women's ref in most old master drawing isn't the best idea; maybe try looking at stylized artists like Bekkaliyev, he has extremely exaggerted women's proportions, almost imaginary, but what he does brings out the women forms really well. Ribcage smaller than hips, narrow shoulders, round thighs, even giving a hint of a longer, tube-like space between the obliques and the ribcage is a good trick, although that doesn't exist in real life. As a side-note, try to pay huge attention to the way you draw legs and feet in proportion to the body, a good trick is to imagine the figure in your drawing stand up, would it look proprotionate? That usually gives a good feeling, cause I feel if this one stood up the whole leg would be the proportion of the chest, when usually a single thigh would fit the chest's length haha good luck on the competition buddy!
    Last edited by Okapi; August 12th, 2017 at 09:43 AM.
    ------
    my sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...i-s-Sketchbook

"Second place is the first place among the last ones, and that's not my target."- Zlatan Ibrahimovic

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Okapi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Okapi View Post
    hehe too many michelangelo studies does that to ya looking for women's ref in most old master drawing isn't the best idea; maybe try looking at stylized artists like Bekkaliyev, he has extremely exaggerted women's proportions, almost imaginary, but what he does brings out the women forms really well. Ribcage smaller than hips, narrow shoulders, round thighs, even giving a hint of a longer, tube-like space between the obliques and the ribcage is a good trick, although that doesn't exist in real life. As a side-note, try to pay huge attention to the way you draw legs and feet in proportion to the body, a good trick is to imagine the figure in your drawing stand up, would it look proprotionate? That usually gives a good feeling, cause I feel if this one stood up the whole leg would be the proportion of the chest, when usually a single thigh would fit the chest's length haha good luck on the competition buddy!
    Thanks Okapi! I should know the results within a month. oh and I looked up that artist you mentioned. I like his work, very fluid with full rich forms. wouldn't mind copying a few That reminds me, what do you think Frazetta's women?

Thanks
    awesome! and Frazettas women are great since he makes them chubby and isn't scared to put the fat where the curves are, expressing them more which helps grasp the idea, at least that's what I got from my studies from him; though it's kind of hard to find clear illustrations hehe Roberto Ferri has phenomenal works, women n men included, in a very old baroque style, he's in his late thirties or so, since you seem to like that old traditional style it might appeal to you too if you haven't stumbled across him already
    ------
    my sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...i-s-Sketchbook

"Second place is the first place among the last ones, and that's not my target."- Zlatan Ibrahimovic

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Okapi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 762 Posts
    Roberto Ferri has phenomenal works, women n men included, in a very old baroque style, he's in his late thirties or so, since you seem to like that old traditional style it might appeal to you too if you haven't stumbled across him already
    Isn't he famous for his scientific illustrations of exotic snakes?

Name:  Roberto-Ferri11.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  213.9 KB

Thanks
    Roberto Ferri has phenomenal works, women n men included, in a very old baroque style, he's in his late thirties or so, since you seem to like that old traditional style it might appeal to you too if you haven't stumbled across him already
    I am familiar with his work and I can appriciate the way he paints, but some of his works is a little... well tiggeraz pointed it out lets just put it that way

anyway heres the final piece. I didn't want to spend too much time rendering. This is also my first attempt at drawing curls.... I mearly want to indicate that something is there and hopefully the context of the piece will fill in the gaps (like his genitals). that neck should probably be in shadow...

Views: 1313
Size:  58.8 KB
    Last edited by Giantano; August 12th, 2017 at 10:12 PM.