Thanks

Looking for help/advice from visual artists. Art for niche Bandcamp release.

Hello, first post here. Just to get this out of the way, I'm not a visual artist in any way. I make niche instrumental hip hop. Raw stuff, underground.

I'd like to get started putting some projects on Bandcamp. I'm in the process of conceptualizing how I would like things to be presented.

I'm going to need some kind of artwork in the near future, and I don't know if I should attempt to do something basic myself since these will be my first releases, or try to work with a visual artist on it in some capacity.

I won't be looking for high end visuals, just something with character that stands out that fits the raw aesthetic of the music.

I have some question about approaching this and artists in general.

1) If I'm going to attempt this myself, what are good easy to learn user friendly programs that are best for when just getting started? I'd most likely be working with photo images of some kind and need to do some kind of titling.

2) Is it appropriate to approach a visual artist just as unknown as myself, with a promotional trade off? I do music, you do visual art, lets work together. I promote you, you promote me. You can have a space on the artwork to leave "Artwork done by______". As well as having your contact info in the description of my projects. When I post the music anywhere on-line I can also post your contact info.

3) If I decide to purchase artwork, instead of doing it myself or working out a barter system with someone just as unknown, what are realistic prices I would be looking at?

I really appreciate any constructive input any of you artists may have!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,578 Times in 4,532 Posts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    LOL

Being an artist in another realm, trust me I get that, and understand it's a response to the number 2 question. If that is the general sentiment in regards to that, then that is fine and understandable, and it's something I won't pursue. Honestly, it wouldn't be a lot of exposure. I'm just starting from the ground up doing something I love doing, but it's niche, and also very saturated at the same time. It's a hobby, and I was thinking it might be cool to work with other hobbyists that are in this realm. I'm also not aware of the particular culture and goings on in the visual arts realm, so please be patient with me.

There's still questions number 1 & 3 if anyone is willing to put me up on things, especially realistic prices, and any kind of advice that would be helpful.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,578 Times in 4,532 Posts
    You might be lucky and find someone with passion for what you're doing. If you make it, just don't forget them. You would be better off advertising in the job section under unpaid, or a low fee. Prices can vary a lot depending on skill set. Art isn't something you learn overnight and I think you'd rather get it made before drawing your pension. Nice attitude.

Thanks
    Thanks for the response!

Yeah I guess rates would really depend on the artist and skill set. I will have a look at the section you mentioned, and maybe try to nail down something concrete I'd like, cause right now all I have in mind is kind of a "vibe" and I don't think that's enough to communicate to a visual artist, and I'd like to be as easy to work with as possible.