Thanks

Techniques to use photoshop efficiently for advanced perspective grids?

Part of being new to perspective in photoshop is that things take longer but these 3 feel things feel like they really should be able to get done with a lot less effort - maybe with a tool I don't know of or a perspective friendly plug-in? Let me know if I'm just being too much of a perfectionist and it won't matter if the lines are off. I'm just afraid these will add up and cause problems (especially for square grids from ellipses as show in How to Draw).

1. Placing accurate lines: I zoom in close enough to see the pixel grid and then place a horizontal and vertical guide at the intersection point Ė I do this for both starting and ending points. Then when you zoom out the line tool will snap to the guides. This gets super tedious to repeat for every line so is there a faster way to snap lines to intersections?

2. Multiplying Rectangles: The guide technique (1.) doesn't help if the line needs to pass through a point. Since I don't have the endpoint I can only guestimate this. Is there a way to snap lock the line tool through a non-terminal point? A less than ideal workaround is to copy-drag the portion of the line that goes to the midline-intersection.
    (Note: Multiplication just is the most common situation but this comes up any time you need to extend a straight line through a known intersection point to find the endpoint, such as when finding the vanishing point in some photos.)

Image for 1. and 2.

- 3. Placing Rotated Ellipses: As soon as you rotate an ellipse with the transformation tool it gets all screwed up. The transformation box re-orients itself so that itís parallel with the sides of the canvas but no longer parallel to the minor/major axis of the ellipse. What this means is if you use the side tags to adjust the degree as before you will wonít be able to do so without also messing up the orientation of the ellipse. Other than placing the ellipse perfectly in 1 transformation (pretty tough for me) or temporarily rotating the entire image first so you never have to rotate the ellipse I canít think of a solution here.

Image for 3. I added the red and purple to show what I mean about the minor axis no longer being parallel to the transformation box.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    That's a whole mess more work than I get in to.

FYI there is this thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...te-(photoshop)
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 867 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dolanblues View Post
    Part of being new to perspective in photoshop is that things take longer but these 3 feel things feel like they really should be able to get done with a lot less effort - maybe with a tool I don't know of or a perspective friendly plug-in?
    You're trying to use Photoshop for a purpose it was never designed for: precise manipulation of lines and shapes.
    Try a vector-oriented program like Illustrator...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog