Thanks

This Nina Paley Idiot

Everyone remembers the battle for the orphaned works bill I'm sure, where we were struggling to make sure that corporations couldn't steal our work without paying for it?

Well hold your nose because I think I just found one of their godamned lobbyists.

http://radar.oreilly.com/2012/06/cop...w-culture.html

Nina Paley wants to get rid of all copyright - yep, that's right, ALL copyright, and she wants everyone to start stealing other people's work like these shitbags we get on here all the time that recolor or paint over other people's work and make tons of money off of it at ad companies. There are tons of examples of this happening to people like Android Jones and other very good artists, and it irritates everyone here at CA.org when it happens.

I have very specific reasons for keeping a tight leash on my company's copyrights, none of which have anything to do with her reasoning, which basically can be summed up as "Boo hoo, I can't use every song that I want in my animations whenever I want, and I get blocked in Germany" so she's made it into this movement.

I smell fish. I think she is being paid to spearhead this movement by special interest groups. I've been wrong before but boy do I smell a rat with this one. She's already built her career out of pissing off Hindus by turning their gods into deliberately vulgarized cartoon characters, now she's basically just saying to every artist "You are a shitty human being if you don't steal art to make art, and fuck you if you don't like it when your art is stolen, you're a stingy grinch" Are these people really SO talentless that they can't make a NEW song for their animation, or HIRE a starving musician to compose something?

I saw a song I liked and I went out of my way to befriend the fucking musician, ask them politely to cut something for me, and then I PAID THEM.

It's one thing to say "Hey, I'm going to put all of my work in the public domain" it's QUITE another to become a spokesperson for encouraging everyone to steal whatever they like, whenever they like, for whatever purpose.

Just because it's art, doesn't mean it's above the law.
    Last edited by Izi; July 4th, 2017 at 01:11 AM.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,578 Times in 4,532 Posts
    If all copyrights were done away with I don't think big business will be too happy. Apple anyone?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Apple anyone?
    It's rotten core should be cut out, it should be peeled and given to the other swines of this world.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    These are *Individual* moral choices though, and if we are not protected by the law it takes that choice away from everyone. So what if one company abuses it once in a while? Everyone can and actually, many DO boycott Apple for this and other reasons!

I don't have a problem with big business - I have a problem with *immoral* business. The Apple incident was a grey area for some, others found it to be a copyright on human motion and the human body.

But this copyright issue doesn't bother big business at all...they'd be able to take whatever they want, from any artist, harness their powerful factory and stockpiled billions and profit off of whatever they like...it would mean that all money would then flow to whoever owns the factories, whoever had the most corporate operations officers to manage those businesses. It would *Institutionalize* the very thing ca.org has been fighting against for its entire lifetime. Art departments would be turned into search engine and cataloguing farms, downloading everything new that a young, naive artist dares to upload and sorting it into corporate libraries to be used on their next line of phone cases or school folders.

We would all have to become gallery fine artists to consider making a living in the arts, and even here, why buy a painting when you can bring in a high quality camera, photograph it and profit off of the prints with no penalty?

If you think that artists would benefit from this in any way, you fail to understand how economics work.
    Last edited by Izi; July 4th, 2017 at 01:20 PM.
    ---- -
    abrahadabra

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,497 Times in 2,727 Posts
    the thing is its already happened and artists are mostly responsible. Most of the artists on here source other artists work to use as their own to make money; it's encouraged in industries like entertainment and media. Artists with portfolios on this site make their incomes ripping off pop culture like Star Wars Disney characters and game of thrones. Do people really think that it's okay for them to do it and it won't affect the art markets as a whole? that lazy take any short cut to succeed attitude is what is collapsing the art market, companies are just exploiting that. Hell artists give their work away because they don't even have enough self-respect to charge for it or they charge so little to undercut the market completely.

Thanks
    Yes, I think this is why we have seen a tremendous decline in the interest for becoming a professional artist - it's not a career, it's viewed as some kind of hobby you do while you work in retail for the rest of your life.
    ---- -
    abrahadabra

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post: