2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks

C.H.O.W 430 Brimstone Monarch :: FINALS

C.H.O.W 430 Brimstone Monarch :: FINALS

Character of the Week #430
    Brimstone Monarch
    Deadline - Sunday, July 2nd 10PM GMT

The Brimstone Monarch is the fiery ruler of his / her domain. But heavy hangs the head that wears the molten crown,
    and many hard decisions have to be made by rulers to keep their kingdoms safe and prosperous.

We want you to design two versions of the Brimstone Monarch. Some games allow you to make good or bad karmic choices throughout,
    such as the “Fable” series, where despotic decisions eventually turn your character’s skin a sickly grey and horns sprout from your head, whilst benevolent choices give a healthy complexion and a halo. Or Mass effect, where paragon / renegade choices give ugly red cracks to Shepard’s skin.

You will design a benevolent ruler: master of bright, cleansing fire, firm but fair and loved by his / her people, and another despotic version who is cruel / corrupt and glows with hellfire. Both versions must clearly be of the same character, but be depictions of two different life paths and the result of the monarch's karmic choices.

• Male or female, humanoid
    • Wears royal robes that are made of fire / lava / magma etc, and are always burning.
    • Or body made of fire / lava / magma etc, always burning. ( No shapeless lava blobs please!)
    • Crown of molten metal.
    • Genre is fantasy.
    • Depict two versions of the monarch, one good one evil. (Must clearly be of the same underlying character)

​The winner of this round will have their work displayed on the C.H.O.W banner for another five rounds.

The Rules:

- FINALS: Must post in finals thread before the deadline
    - KNEES UP: Must show at least 3/4 of the character, from at least the knees up.
    - FRONT VIEW: Must be able to see the front of design. No back views without a front.
    - WIPS: Must show at least 2 work in progress shots with final entry.
    - READABLE: Design must be readable, as in a 3D model could be made from your image.
    - ONLY ONE: May only submit one entry. No multiple submissions.
    - 3D: Must be originally created models, excluding primitives. 3D paint-overs permitted. If you choose to use 3D in whole or in part you must show a screenshot of the model in 3D software with final entry.
    - UNACCEPTABLE: These are not permitted: Photos, photo paint-overs, photobashing, pre-made or purchased 3D
    models
    , rushed works/ rough sketches.
    - NEW USERS: Must submit entries by 6pm GMT on due date, due to conceptart.org's moderation process:

- DESIGN: Design your character for the brief, not your personal fetish. Nudes without some design are not permitted.
    - READ: Read through the threads; there may be answers to your questions already posted.
    - FUN: Have fun!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 908 Posts
    Name:  tumblr_orsv0fsL991rqq2u7o1_500.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  49.8 KBName:  tumblr_os41agX6f61rqq2u7o1_500.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  50.6 KB

Thanks for the brief, was good fun and challenging. Good luck everyone!

Name:  bad small.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  116.4 KBName:  good small.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  143.6 KB
    - Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here is my post! I would like to have more time to finish it more properly but here is it!

naidy love your style! Hope to see more of your art in future challenge!

Good luck!

Name:  girl.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  192.6 KBName:  girl2.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  167.6 KBName:  girl3.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  150.1 KB

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lerrine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  image (3).jpg
Views: 953
Size:  335.7 KBName:  image (4).jpg
Views: 950
Size:  296.6 KB
    Wooo I actually got them finished!
    Name:  image (2).jpg
Views: 949
Size:  370.3 KBName:  wip.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  59.6 KB

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rinus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good round everyone!

Name:  queens wip.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  322.7 KB
    Name:  Queens final.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  187.2 KB

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KyllSwitch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Finally done. Loved this challenge. Fire and lava are just fun to paint. I was inspired by the Hawaiian volcano goddess Pele, who, like the fire queen in this challenge, could be both a creator and a jealous destroyer.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrightLyncis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sorry for the lack of participation in the wips threads, I sort of ended up doing these two all in one go.

I'll try to do some crits this round, please feel free to leave some yourselves!

Name:  skclr2.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  171.9 KBName:  sk.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  127.6 KB

Name:  Brimstone Pnew2.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  205.1 KBName:  brimstone Rnew copy2.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  185.8 KB
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good luck everybody!
    Didn't uploaded much of progress, coz forget to take pictures...

Name:  Monarch2S.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  292.8 KB
    Name:  wipMonarchS.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  148.5 KB

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raganosis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This thread is now closed. A poll will be up shortly.

Thanks
    Pleas feel free to leave some crits of your own! Don't be shy, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Naidy: I like the stretched proportions and second set of arms. The extra height and spindly look gives an otherworldly and more godlike presence. Without reading your posts on the wips thread though I think I would have a harder time differentiating which is the evil one. The weird / manic smile works well but is still ambiguous and the light pastel colours seem opposite to the good version which is predominantly darker colours that I associate with darker intent.
    Lerrine: Using a different colour flame to denote the karmic divide is good, but the blue version looks a little too much like water to me, mainly because it seems to be flowing downwards, not up as I would expect with a flame. I think some sort of glowing effects would help too, particularly as the magma would be a strong light source and would be casting a strong light across your character’s shoulders and the edges of their bodies too.
    Rinus: Two very contrasting pieces. I would like to have seen them share a few more elements of their design to tie them together more. Perhaps mixing the western dress and African attire on both characters would create a stronger visual tie between them. I would also suggest looking at photos of people standing in similar positions (or taking some yourself) to help with the anatomy of your figures. (Evil version’s legs look a bit short under the dress)
    Kyllswitch: I can only mention minor niggles here, such as the strappy gladiator sandal looks a little uneven and doesn’t pinch in to follow the line her slender ankle. She could probably use something in her other hand too like in your wip, maybe a ball of magic fire? Overall very impressive though.
    Brightlyncis: Two very nice designs here, I really like what you did with her golden dress, particularly the reflection of the material over the arm. Is she standing on tip toes though? I thought she might be floating, but the shadows on your evil version touch her feet, meaning she is in contact with the ground. I can also see you are trying to create a similar overall shape with both of them, but the fiery hair flowing downwards like the lava is a little strange when you expect it to be flowing up.
    Raganosis: I think you’re the only person to have both characters wearing the exact same outfit, but it does work as you have focused on the evil twisting the physical form and corrupting what’s around it by melting his object of power. My only niggle really would be to make a bit more of the lava, maybe brighter or bigger cracks / veins just to make it more prominent.
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post: