Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigermilk View Post
    Beautiful work! Great sense of values and color! If I'd comment on something I'd say maybe focus on sharpening those edges a bit to make it pop some more. Anyway looking forward to seeing more
    Thanks! And definitely. I will do some studies with much better controlled edgework.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Very nice idea for image sketch

4. The Following User Says Thank You to meikarta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 763 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCowan View Post
    I will do some studies with much better controlled edgework.
    I recently read some of Gurney's blog posts where he talked about edges. It might come in handy for you: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.de/200...and-edges.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeraz View Post
    That actually helps a lot! I'm supposed to do an assignment where I manipulate surface to create depth, and I was wondering how to do it.

Thanks
    Great sketchbook Joe. I'm surprised by how new your sketchbook is since it seems you've been commenting on here for a while. Love the sense of value on the portraits on the first page and also that raven from a couple weeks ago. Agree that the red underpainting really makes it interesting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fraser View Post
    Great sketchbook Joe. I'm surprised by how new your sketchbook is since it seems you've been commenting on here for a while. Love the sense of value on the portraits on the first page and also that raven from a couple weeks ago. Agree that the red underpainting really makes it interesting.
    Thanks! I have a sketchbook thread on sycra.net that I've posted on for a few years so I never felt like I needed two. But I get different feedback on both sites so it's worth it!

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_3957.JPG
Views: 868
Size:  62.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3955.JPG
Views: 865
Size:  59.8 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender-1.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  84.9 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  31.0 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  84.0 KB

New sketch haul. Would really appreciate advice on anything. I get very little instruction at school.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Returning the visit!
    I think the forms in your work read well and the values look right. I like the hue variation too, but I would try be a little more careful with the edges. I guess it's tough to do that in traditional, but I feel you would grow a lot if you improved your edge control. The perspective seems to have improved from the first page to this one.
    I'm afraid anything I could say wouldn't be of much help, so just keep posting and working hard!
    Oh, and is the second-to-last painting a wip of a cat?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocjo Gugli View Post
    Returning the visit!
    I think the forms in your work read well and the values look right. I like the hue variation too, but I would try be a little more careful with the edges. I guess it's tough to do that in traditional, but I feel you would grow a lot if you improved your edge control. The perspective seems to have improved from the first page to this one.
    I'm afraid anything I could say wouldn't be of much help, so just keep posting and working hard!
    Oh, and is the second-to-last painting a wip of a cat?

Thank you, I will! It's a bad foam model of a cat. Must have been used by biology students or something.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
Views: 803
Size:  26.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_3971.JPG
Views: 799
Size:  61.3 KBName:  selportraitday.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  62.0 KBName:  selfportraitday1.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  17.9 KB
    Not my best work this week, although I think my self portrait is definitely a step in the right direction. It's kind of a nice three value composition.

Also I made this abstract painting for class expecting to get my ass handed to me in critique because it's essentially just a very poorly painted landscape, but it actually got good reviews. It resembles a literal pile of garbage. I kind of like it in a way. Thoughts?

Name:  IMG_4001.JPG
Views: 801
Size:  74.8 KB

Thanks
    Good structures, I like the way you're portraying volume in solid planes.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Soft-Boiled-Egg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Very nice Sketchbook here, I especially like your figure- and statue drawings.

Now I am terrible at traditional painting myself but can give some general feedback. Mainly just repeating tips I got from Jonathan Hardesty.
    Do you know what you want your paintings to portray? What emotions should they invoke, should people feel happy, sad etc when they look at it? Pick your colours and key based on the emotions you want the piece to evoke.
    If you want for instance it to be happy make all the colours a bit warmer and up they key so all the values are lighter. Also actively think about your edges, you might want to fade some edges completely and create a "lost edge".
    Think about what you want your focal point of the painting to be, in that still life painting of the set up on the table for instance everything has the same amount of detail and the same edge quality. A natural focal point for that piece would probably be around the skull and wine bottle, give them harder edges and up the detail slightly compared to the rest of the scene. It will make your paintings a lot more interesting and a lot more visually interesting to look at. Right now that still life is quite boring because everything has the same amount of interest, our eye isn't lead to any particular spot. Another tip Jonathan gave (which I found really hard to actually do) give all your paintings a title. Even if it's a still life, giving it a title before you start will give you a direction for the use of colour, edge quality etc.

These are pretty generic tips but you said you didn't get much instruction so you might find them useful if you haven't consciously thought of them before. Great work man! Looking forward to seeing more, your paintings have improved quite a bit already.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kessel View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate that!

Thanks
    Practicing my transparent underpainting, which still looks kinda meh.
Views: 710
Size:  37.4 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender-3.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  36.9 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender-8.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  32.2 KB

Thanks
    Name:  FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  41.0 KB then some direct painting sketches. I feel like I've improved a bit at seeing, but maybe not so much at actually painting.
Views: 707
Size:  33.2 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender-7.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  33.6 KB

Thanks
    Name:  FullSizeRender-6.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  81.4 KB I think this one turned out well, but her face doesn't look very good.
    Name:  IMG_4029.JPG
Views: 1056
Size:  31.2 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender-5.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  29.1 KB

Thanks
    Got another opportunity to paint a model from life!
Views: 1023
Size:  72.6 KB It's quite a bit more modeling than I usually do. I'm pretty pleased, though I know it's not perfect. I struggled with the eyes quite a bit.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Really nice shading on that top figure drawing, the one below has some proportion issues, I am not sure if you did but I recommend you draw through the form. It would have been easier to spot how huge the hand is if you drew the whole form of the arm. The painting of the model from life looks great, one small thing is that the thin dark line on her right shoulder (left on the page) flattens her form quite a bit there. Great work!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kessel View Post
    Really nice shading on that top figure drawing, the one below has some proportion issues, I am not sure if you did but I recommend you draw through the form. It would have been easier to spot how huge the hand is if you drew the whole form of the arm. The painting of the model from life looks great, one small thing is that the thin dark line on her right shoulder (left on the page) flattens her form quite a bit there. Great work!

Good catches, thanks dennis!

Thanks
    Beautiful stuff again! Just keep going, I feel like you're progressing alot. You've great sense of values and color in my opinion, I think proportions will be worked out just by continuing your work. However it might be good to make some basic anatomy studies. Breaking down the figure in shapes and going through the human body and all that jazz. But I don't know.. if you keep painting and drawing from life that'll all come together anyway prolly..

Great stuff!!
    T

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigermilk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigermilk View Post
    Beautiful stuff again! Just keep going, I feel like you're progressing alot. You've great sense of values and color in my opinion, I think proportions will be worked out just by continuing your work. However it might be good to make some basic anatomy studies. ..
    T
    Thank you! I'm going to start doing more with anatomy, I'm a little behind in that respect.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCowan View Post
    Got another opportunity to paint a model from life!
    Nice! Looks like you make the head a little too small, though...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Wow incredibke work keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    I loved that first selfie in post 26. Have you seen "Loving Vincent?" It can be found at the indy/art theaters. It is a full length animated feature using 65,000 oil paintings in Vincent van Gogh's style as the animation cels. Some of the brush work is superb! Your self portrait reminded me of some of the characters presented in the movie.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    I loved that first selfie in post 26. Have you seen "Loving Vincent?" It can be found at the indy/art theaters. It is a full length animated feature using 65,000 oil paintings in Vincent van Gogh's style as the animation cels. Some of the brush work is superb! Your self portrait reminded me of some of the characters presented in the movie.
    thanks! I haven't seen it yet but I've heard a lot about it. I didn't realize it was finally finished!

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_4129.JPG
Views: 790
Size:  55.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_4128.JPG
Views: 793
Size:  22.7 KB
Views: 792
Size:  58.4 KB
Views: 791
Size:  74.3 KB
    Couple recent things. The last one was from life. Model only sat for 2.5 hours. Was going for a Manet like look.

Thanks
    Made some changes to my portrait, and did some digital color studies. These were pretty fun. I like using my laptop to paint things that cannot be easily done traditionally.
    Name:  young_man_reading.JPG
Views: 738
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  selfportrait4.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  57.8 KB

Name:  baglight.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  88.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JoeCowan; January 2nd, 2018 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks
    Since it's digital day for me apparently, I'll also post this study of the torso of the famous Spear-bearer that i've done.
    Name:  Torso.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  48.1 KB

38. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  cupball.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  121.6 KB in this sketch i wanted to play with edges a little more. looks pretty rough.

Thanks
    That torso study has really nice values to it, looks very real. It's good to see you're playing with edges like in your last piece. You might've done soft edges all over for the sake of the exercise but try and have some hard edges in there too to balance it out, keep the hard edges on the focal point, probably the ball on top in this case and it'll really boost the piece. Nice studies and good work Joe!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast