Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abichai View Post
    Gesture is just a technique a system to describe the figure through abstract rythm fluid line nothing more. You got better chance to do stiff drawing with curve line because they are more rythmical but less energic than with straight lines while curves lines loosing you in details that you can achieve by compiling multiple straight lines I'm not inventing anything look at the best artist (and I'm not even talking of the masters) they all have stages with straight lines curves come much much later that in a quick sketch and some even never let curves but just compile straight lines to give the illusion of curves.

Well you don't seems to be able to see your disproportion while drawing and they are obvious thus you need to see better. You won't eyeball better if you don't work your seeing ability xD Plus you don't simplify that much I mean I see no gesture drawing in any of your drawing you have posted right know you are focusing soo much on the outside contour of your shapes that it is the complete opposite of gesture. Gesture is about the inside and an abstraction of the rythm not the outside and you are showing only countour drawing with curve lines. Your best gesture drawing so far is the sanguine pencil on your first post the rest is just curves contour drawing to me thats why I advice you to do another exercise to train you.
    It isn't really seeing them a different way it is casting away your symbol knowledge while drawing thus to not have almond eyes everywhere even if we like almond or big eyes etc.
    I have to admit it's disappointing to hear you think my drawings on the first post are my best ones, but I see where you're coming from-- in my later drawings I did add more contour and detail but I didn't think I was adding TOO much. Maybe I should be working with straight lines a bit more. My fixation on curved lines came from Proko's video on gesture drawing where he said to always use C curves and S curves so you'll have to excuse me for receiving mixed messages here hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyartist View Post

The point was that knowledge of anatomy will help doodlebugger's gesture drawings. Also based on the drawings posted here it seems like you should study perspective and drawing simple geometric forms. This fundamental skill is necessary for drawing both organic and man-made objects. A lack of this skill will result in drawings that lack a sense of volume. Glenn Vilppu is a good instructor to look at for making solid 3D-looking figures if you want to start on the organic side. If you want to be more hardcore you can look at Scott Robertson's How to Draw book. You shouldn't be worried about all sorts of techniques at this point, just focus on learning the fundamentals of good drawing.
    Studying perspective is something I definitely have considered. I know how to draw cubes, cylinders, spheres, etc from various perspectives, and I know how to do one- two- and three-point perspective for those types of things. But as soon as things get a little more complex than that, for example if I have to draw a trapezoid or diamond-like shape in 3D, I quickly get confused. I will take a look at the instructor and book you suggested!

I am sorry for so many posts in this thread! This thread is becoming like my personal art blog! I am sorry for all the hand-holding I seem to request. But your replies are very much appreciated. I am thankful for any sort of guidance!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 645 Posts
    I don't think there is anything wrong with Proko's CSI method. Just remember that even he says that not everything is gentle curves. A bunched up pose with a lot of potential energy is going to have much sharper corners to the lines. Deciding how angular the gesture will be is part of what you are practicing in short poses. You look at what is in front of you and make decisions about how energetic the lines are.

(It is rare that a model will go for a real pretzel pose on a 20 minute or longer pose. It would probably become agonizing. Thus, the longer poses are going to involve much more gentle curves or corners in the CSI lines.)

Thanks
    Hi all! Today I did about three drawings based on pictures from the quickposes website. I did both a gesture drawing and a more comprehensive line drawing.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  41.5 KB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  99.2 KB

The gesture drawing is nothing special and took under a minute. As for the second more comprehensive drawing, I wasn't counting but I think this took somewhere between 10 to 20 minutes? I tried making much more use of surface lines and envisioning segments of the body as masses that connect with one another. I tried as best I could to draw the surface lines before the contours, so that I'm not focusing on outlines like my teacher said. But it feels like the end result didn't change much as a result. Does it sound like I'm doing something wrong?

Also, I guess this thread isn't so much about gesture drawing anymore as it is about sketching in general! Maybe I should change the thread title one of these days.

Thanks
    Maybe I'm being thick, but I don't know exactly what you mean by 'surface lines'. Those wrap-round-the-form lines on the forearm and calf?

As for envisioning connecting masses: sorry, but I can't really see where you've done that, perhaps apart from the arms. Is that what the various ovals and circles are? If so, I don't think they describe mass so much as joints and the surface shapes of the rear shoulder girdle.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, after many others have said so here, but I think it needs to be beaten in: you might benefit from studying some anatomy alongside the gesture studies. From this thread I get the feeling that you're concentrating so much on drawing as fast as you can, that you don't give yourself any time to let even the basic forms sink in - to internalise the human figure, as Eezacque said. Get to know a bit about the shapes, proportions and 3D forms of the traditional masses at least - head, ribcage, and pelvis - how they string together, and how they string onto gesture lines.
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vermis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    what vermis said, also maybe you should make a sketchbook if you will be posting regularly
    ------
    my sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...i-s-Sketchbook

"Second place is the first place among the last ones, and that's not my target."- Zlatan Ibrahimovic

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Okapi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for being honest. By surface lines I did mean the wrap-around-the-form lines, and as for the connecting masses thing, well, if you can't tell where I did that then that's a failure on my part, not yours.

Sorry that I didn't pay much attention to accurate anatomy in this drawing; I understand where you're coming from when you say I would benefit from more study in that area. I just feel like my main problem has to be something with my technique, it's something cerebral that I'm not doing right. And if that's the case, I think I would prioritize fixing that over learning anatomy. But pinpointing exactly what that issue is...that's really hard, and studying anatomy is pretty easy by comparison, so you're right I should be doing that more.

Okapi, I had been considering that for a while and I think you're right. If I have any more drawings to post I'll do them in a new sketchbook thread.

Thanks everyone for being patient with me here, I know I must seem pretty dense sometimes. Maybe it's easy to see why I feel hopeless a lot of times. But I appreciate all of your advice, it makes me feel a little brighter about the future.

Thanks
    I just feel like my main problem has to be something with my technique, it's something cerebral that I'm not doing right. And if that's the case, I think I would prioritize fixing that over learning anatomy. But pinpointing exactly what that issue is...that's really hard, and studying anatomy is pretty easy by comparison, so you're right I should be doing that more.

Feelings can be deceptive. Your main problem has nothing to do with technique or something being wrong with your brains. Your problem is simply a lack of fundamental knowledge. The solution to that is very simple: go get it! None of us came out of the womb drawing like pros, this stuff has to be learned. So there's no need to feel bad about yourself. You came humbly seeking for advice and I believe you got it .

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think you need to work on dexterity, i.e. learning confidence in laying flowing/curved and straight lines and getting a softer hand. You have skipped this step so it's at least partially what's impeding your progress.

Thanks
    if you can break form into simple form like cylinders and boxes, then you can draw same way figure, then study muscles and draw them over those basic forms. You should draw through the form not just what you see, its ofcource doesnt have that flow but it will be lot easier later on to draw good gesture when you have internalized basic forms, I think you should study this with still life from life
    https://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/form-not-shape
    edit: I think you should look books like Loomis Figure drawing at all its worth or Michael Hampton Figure design and invention for more in depth how to simplify figure and anatomy
    Last edited by stonec; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:39 PM.

Thanks
    A good start, don't you have a sketchbook where you just post stuff?
    Try to enjoy the process, I hope you will find fun in just creating sketches.
    Everything else comes with repetition. Don't be so hard on your self try to
    LOVE IT!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4