Thanks

C.H.O.W 430 Brimstone Monarch

C.H.O.W 430 Brimstone Monarch

Character of the Week #430
    Brimstone Monarch
    Deadline - Sunday, July 2nd 10PM GMT

The Brimstone Monarch is the fiery ruler of his / her domain. But heavy hangs the head that wears the molten crown,
    and many hard decisions have to be made by rulers to keep their kingdoms safe and prosperous.

We want you to design two versions of the Brimstone Monarch. Some games allow you to make good or bad karmic choices throughout,
    such as the “Fable” series, where despotic decisions eventually turn your character’s skin a sickly grey and horns sprout from your head, whilst benevolent choices give a healthy complexion and a halo. Or Mass effect, where paragon / renegade choices give ugly red cracks to Shepard’s skin.

You will design a benevolent ruler: master of bright, cleansing fire, firm but fair and loved by his / her people, and another despotic version who is cruel / corrupt and glows with hellfire. Both versions must clearly be of the same character, but be depictions of two different life paths and the result of the monarch's karmic choices.

• Male or female, humanoid
    • Wears royal robes that are made of fire / lava / magma etc, and are always burning.
    • Or body made of fire / lava / magma etc, always burning. ( No shapeless lava blobs please!)
    • Crown of molten metal.
    • Genre is fantasy.
    • Depict two versions of the monarch, one good one evil. (Must clearly be of the same underlying character)

​The winner of this round will have their work displayed on the C.H.O.W banner for another five rounds.

The Rules:

- FINALS: Must post in finals thread before the deadline
    - KNEES UP: Must show at least 3/4 of the character, from at least the knees up.
    - FRONT VIEW: Must be able to see the front of design. No back views without a front.
    - WIPS: Must show at least 2 work in progress shots with final entry.
    - READABLE: Design must be readable, as in a 3D model could be made from your image.
    - ONLY ONE: May only submit one entry. No multiple submissions.
    - 3D: Must be originally created models, excluding primitives. 3D paint-overs permitted. If you choose to use 3D in whole or in part you must show a screenshot of the model in 3D software with final entry.
    - UNACCEPTABLE: These are not permitted: Photos, photo paint-overs, photobashing, pre-made or purchased 3D
    models
    , rushed works/ rough sketches.
    - NEW USERS: Must submit entries by 6pm GMT on due date, due to conceptart.org's moderation process:

- DESIGN: Design your character for the brief, not your personal fetish. Nudes without some design are not permitted.
    - READ: Read through the threads; there may be answers to your questions already posted.
    - FUN: Have fun!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 900 Posts
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  102.2 KBName:  19369682_10154791773388693_1148675144_n.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  158.7 KB

Ok onto a very sketchy quick start. This looks like a cool brief and I haven't done one of these in ages! Will update again soon with something more concrete.

I'm thinking something on the lines of the monarch either sacrificing themselves to increase their power (i.e using their soul and body to keep the brimstone crown's power potent and for the greater good of others) or sacrificing the bodies and souls of others to keep the brimstone crown brimming with power. I want to have it clear there's a more humanoid figure in there.

Edit: and some more.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  39.4 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  74.5 KB Name:  4.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  83.1 KB
    Last edited by Naidy; 4 Days Ago at 10:52 AM.
    - Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

Thanks
    Hey @Naidy, interesting start, I'll be waiting for some more concrete design since the one is super sketchy and pretty interpretable, except for the face, it's a nice face mask. Now, you probably won't want my feedback anyway after you'll read the next part ).

---

Hello guys! Soooo, I should probably make a separate post on this, but I'm new here and I'm new to drawing/painting, very late in my life... (now basically, 2016-2017) I decided to switch careers (from physics & it) and go into painting/drawing, illustration, concept art... might be a poor decision, but I'm hoping that with the help friendly competitions and spread of knowledge by wonderful people like you I'll manage to make it .

Sinix Design's vids on youtube brought me here and I really want to be able to produce some designs worthy of pieces I see around amazing portfolios... in due time. I am pretty new to drawing & especially color and painting so I'm very confident I'll not be able to produce any decent stuff any time soon ... only started exploring a bit of color painting a couple of weeks ago to so... but I hope with your guidance I'll be able to improve . Without further ado, here is my exploration phase.

TL;DR

Name:  sketches.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  134.2 KB

Any comments are greatly appreciated. If I'm doing things wrong please let me know.

For this guy (so I decided to go with guy so) I've decide to go with fire since... well, I don't even want to think about how to render lava or other weird stuff... I think I started off pretty... cartoonish (naive - 1, 2) & basic or in other words... not very good , but I think at this point I like 6 & 7 most. Haven't decided on culture influence yet, I just started with random shapes & scribbles, but if I look at them I'd say that 6 has roman influences & 7 egiptian so I kind of like that idea, especially egiptian since the god of sun etc. I hope this falls in the "monarch" category. What say you?

Thanks for reading!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to razvanc-r For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 900 Posts
    Thanks for the feedback, Rafzvan! And anyone can give constructive feedback at any stage in their learning. A second pair of eyes can always spot sometimes pretty obvious things the painter might be missing.

I also like the idea of an egyptian theme! Thumbnail wise, I actually like the pose of the man in his throne on 1. I find that to be the most "Monarchy" in terms of poses.

I'd also say monarchs are also in many cases a "Symbol" They don't have to be too practical and beefy! It's a fun opportunity for garish costumes and interesting ceremonious attire. (unless that's how they retain their power over the kingdom Some monarchs are always going to be more practical than others.

With the evil vs good aspect of your idea. Sometimes shape language can also help further your good/evil vibe. So maybe 7 is the "good" version. but his version as evil would be less symmetrical and instead of angular and squarish, more triangular and sneaky looking. It's nice to use the good and evil versions to further clash against eachother to highlight how different they are.

Anyway! I hope that was helpful in some way, and also welcome to CA.
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  202.9 KB
    - Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the kind words Naidy and especially for the feedback, I think it helped me out a bit, well I'm not good enough to put it to good use yet, but feel free to share your thoughts! as you can see I went with your suggestion of having the guy sit on a throne, this would be the good guy version, I think it's easier for me to do this first and this would be the one I identify with I guess. Was experimenting with some minor costume changes here and there. I'm trying to make the guy imposing I guess, but not looking down on you, so I still want him to look kind of godly, champion-like (muscular) if I manage... as for the costume, I think I'd like to stick with the Egyptian style, where you can see a bit of skin as well since it's the typical hot-climate sensible thing to do... especially for this guy since he's burning all the time ... probably a bit unpleasant for him :D.

Name:  good-both.png
Views: 395
Size:  429.4 KB

Aannnd... here I tried a more refined pass of what I think might be good enough to go to paint stage... :)

Name:  good.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  93.3 KB

About your piece, I really like where it's going, only thing is I'm not sure at this point if you're giving her 4 arms?! And that arch behind her hips, at this point it looks like she's bending her hips forward to stay clear of the arch, don't know, for some reason it doesn't feel like a relaxed pose which is what I think you're going for... I guess it's still to early, cause stuff is bit undefined.

Oh and by the way... the name is Razvan ... you know, facebook imported name, it's messed up cause I have some UTF8 symbols in there... oh well, let's see how much time will it take to change the username

Thanks
    Soooooo, if I "go advanced" for posting... it doesn't seem to post it... the other post I did with "post quick reply"... so don't know what's happening with that. I know about new members' posts being moderated and they need to be accepted, but I thought you can see "pending posts for approval" or something?!... It's strange cause the other post above was accepted immediately. That's why I'm a bit confused. Cause I was reading the CHOW FAQ and it was saying there to go to advanced and use the manager so the images won't get deleted... so if a couple of double-posts appear out of nowhere yah... I submitted multiple times

Thanks
    Alright, I'll finish up today with these two guys.

Name:  good.png
Views: 340
Size:  313.1 KB

Thanks again Naidy, I took your advice about symmetry, yah, I can feel the boredom and evilness in this one!

Name:  evil.png
Views: 340
Size:  352.2 KB

At this point I don't know if I'll keep the line around, but I want a cleaner version so it helps me when color comes in since I'm so bad at this...

Thanks
    Sooo, I guess this is where the design led me...

Name:  character-good-v2_010.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  52.1 KB

Thanks
    It's a pretty terrible rendering but... here it is final or at least close to final, I hope to come back to it later and correct some stuff...

Name:  good-final.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  52.1 KB

Thanks
    Here are the initial sketches I have from both forms. They will have different poses in the final piece but this pretty much gets the point across as I work more on them. Need to find and incorporate more details from the good form into the bad one to they can be identified as the same dude. I have a few ideas for that but for now thats all I have time for!

Name:  XTI7bdr.png
Views: 98
Size:  185.7 KB Name:  AGs0nmU.png
Views: 98
Size:  193.1 KB

Thanks
    Hello, I'm posting some first silhouette sketches. I think I'm going for a golem/troll king.
    Name:  kingofmagma1_size.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  255.5 KB
    "All our knowledge has its origins in our perceptions."
    Leonardo da Vinci

Thanks
    razvanc-r: Firstly welcome to C.H.O.W. Brave decision switching careers too, best of luck with that. If your'e having problems with your piece I suggest actually taking a photo of someone or yourself sitting in that pose as reference. You don't have to dress up, but maybe a tablecloth or something might give you some ideas for that bit of drapery along the ground. It will give you a a better idea of the pose of your character and how shadows will fall around it, etc. (you might want to have a torch in your hand too for the glowing hand on the chair.

Rudii20: A beard can really change how a face looks, so having one with and one without might mess up the feeling that it is the same guy, unless some other element of them is visible and kept the same. One has bare arms, maybe them both having the same birthmark / ritual tatto etc?

xraphaelx: Looking good so far. Bottom left is my favourite.

Thanks

Thanks
    Baroque inspired queen. In the game in my head she's in line for the throne while the country is at war. You have to make decisions for her survival while her family all get picked off leaving her to take the throne. If you make wiser more moral options she becomes a righteous steward of the people. If you do self serving or cruel things she turns into a deranged tyrant.
    Name:  concept sketches.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  81.2 KB
    Name:  good costuming.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  110.8 KB
    Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

Thanks
    Here are initial sketches for my monarchs
    Attached Images Attached Images