Thanks

Help with label for a beer bottle special edition! :O

Hello,

A local brewery asked me to design a beer label. It is a beer made with Goji berries and it has a bitter heavy taste and it has a high alcohol level. That is why the brewery wanted to call it "Goji-ra".
    Gojira/Godzilla was perfect for the beer label and they wanted him to go for a beer in their brewery. Therefore I drew Gojira hanging over the brewery with a big glass in his hand with some hints towards Japanese culture in style.
    But I think I am making a mess with the colors now. I want to have it shouting colors but I think I am missing some important things in this one. Maybe I am a bit too insecure about it since I am working on the colors for a long time now but I know people can give me advice!

Thank you for everything, I appreciate it so much already!

Name:  Goji-ra etiket small.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  251.3 KB
    Please visit www.cavumscriptorium.com for my portfolio!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I like it!
    Solaes is the name of the brewery? My advice is make the name of the brewery more readable/clear.
    About the colors I like the variation you have. For my personal taste there is too much pure black, but again, personal taste Also the tongue/fire is a bit distracting since have the same color/saturation of the goji-ra name.
    Curious to taste a goji beer

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ctool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Ctool!

Thank you for your reply! Indeed Solaes is the brewery. This is an limited edition bottle, only 150-200 bottles (75cl) are going to be produced so if you want one you have to come over to the Netherlands I'm afraid
    About the Solaes name on the bottle. I agree it is a bit small but I don't know if the head brewer wants to have this one really big on the bottle. The building on the illustration is the brewery itself but I have to agree it should be more in the illustration. This is how I tried to solve this issue. Not by putting the name really big on the label but to treat it like a movie poster.
    And you have a point too with the colors compared to the Goji-ra name. I solved it like this to make it look a bit more candy like and give it a bit more contrast. I see that more in Asian commercials if I am not wrong.

Again, Thank you and for you and everyone else, please comment, there is always room for feedback!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    In my opinion, this doesn't even come close to being as good as the posters in your portfolio. I think the white background is really killing the piece. Also, godzilla and the bar take up about equal space.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ooh! That is an honest comment! For the white background. That is not going to be on the label! it is going to be cut out so the white will be gone when printed and plotted. and Godzilla and the bar is what it should be all about. But what woud you suggest? Making more of a choice between Godzilla and the brewery?

Thanks
    I put a white line around it to show that is going to be more of a sticker on a bottle. This is not going to be a definitive thing. I threw away the text. Now we have the image by itself.
    The smoke element was not that much of a thing, did I solved this problem a bit more? I am feeling a bit lost at this moment.
    Name:  Goji-ra etiket small.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  249.1 KBName:  Goji-ra etiket small gespiegeld.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  249.5 KB

Thanks
    love the idea but in the current stage it's complex, messy and hard to read, what's wrong with a simpler background and classic godzilla pose? It's a freaking beer bottle, not the sistine chapel ceiling! ditch the vomit color scheme.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeWest For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I understand. This is nothing. Thanks, I have the input I needed.

Cheers

Thanks
    Well I think it's pretty cool. And a lot of companies are putting more complex designs on their products for example Peace Tea has art similar to this. And I don't think the color scheme looks like vomit either, that's a bit rude really. Still, readability is important, and I think your Godzilla is drawn much better than the building which has some odd perspective since we would be looking up at things if I understand it properly.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Without the text it's easier to see what's going on because the body is no longer obscured. Also, I disagree with MikeWest, on the color issue. The drink has high alchohol content. I think vibrant colors go well with that. Heck, I just purchased a new bottle of absinthe and it's advertised in such a way.

I think the biggest issue is the composition. It is really unclear what godzilla is doing.

If I were doing this piece and were unable to start over (which I'm guessing is the case) I'd take some artistic license and add a neon sign that said "bar" or "pub" or whatever you call them in your country.

Ultimately however, that's all up to you and the client. That's just my two cents.

Thanks
    Hey Trommel,

First off, congrats on getting the beer label. Second, I think think you have a nice piece of artwork here that suits the theme and subject matter. I, too, like the color scheme, and obviously, the drawing is badass. Third, I'd be careful about trying to take too many opinions/ critiques to heart (including my own). Ultimately, it's your piece of work, you can cherry pick which pieces of advice you want to use. Trying to adjust to every critique, you could end up worse off than where you started.

Having said that, I do, personally, think that readability is an issue. I think that "Gojira's" head is getting lost, made more difficult by the fact that he is upside down. I think it stems from value composition. Going to B&W, the two focal points are the eye and the glass, but his head is not given any importance. I tried to brighten his muzzle, and dim down the contrast and saturation in the surrounding areas. Also, I think putting the name on the building would be a good idea, as the "lines" of the comp are all pointing to that spot. I don't know if the problem is completely solved, or even improved, but I do think that the head is getting lost. Good luck! and I think even as is, this is a pretty cool label.
    Name:  Goji-ra-etiket-small.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  175.6 KB

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MWorks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Any updates?

Thanks
    Hello!

Thank you for the reply, I tried to work with focus in the color some more. My client really liked the design so I think I have to keep it like this, sorry. This is how I tried to make it work better. The logo of the brewery is placed on the sides of the bottle. (it is a 0.75 cl bottle so it is going to be a pretty big bottle!) The text is just to show where it is going to be placed. This is all I could do.

You were right about where everything is leading too, and it IS a good idea to place the name of the brewery over there but I had to place the name of the beer itself too. Also, there has to be a place where I had to put all the other information like the alcohol percentage and expiration date. (it is pretty difficult to get all those things in a design when you have to follow rules for how big certain fonts have to be, I will work on that when I have all the text) So I solved it like this.

Anyway this is where my client wants to go for and again: Thank you all for the feedback! Much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Name:  CA update.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  277.7 KB

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TrommelART For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Excellent work! Reading a LOT better.