Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Almost Daily's from Rist

    Hello everyone, decided to post my daily work here as a means for me to keep track of my progress. But would be so happy to see others following me eventually

    Currently on a course which I will not mention as it does directly compete with level-up. But I will mention the artist who runs it is called Wouter Tulp. The course talks about expressive character design and how to accomplish interesting and exaggerated designs. Again I won't go into too much detail while working on the course as it would pretty much ruin the course content, I will however, post images from my practice studies.

    Name:  catsketchcolour.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  152.9 KB
    Last edited by Rist; June 30th, 2017 at 06:59 AM.


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,401
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 294 Times in 292 Posts
    Welcome dude, WELL now you made me all curious about your course!
    I want to see wayyyyy more sketches than just 2, do you draw comic too.
    Do you have some rough sketches from this one? I'd love to see how you
    got to where you are at, I post my progress from A to B.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by iven View Post
    Welcome dude, WELL now you made me all curious about your course!
    I want to see wayyyyy more sketches than just 2, do you draw comic too.
    Do you have some rough sketches from this one? I'd love to see how you
    got to where you are at, I post my progress from A to B.
    Difficult to do a progress report without compromising the course, but what I can do is give you a link and say there is a promotion going right now.

    I have not made a comic as of yet but I am planning on making one over at this website. I did begin a quick comic to see what the process was, but will need to plan it out a lot better and put more than a few seconds of time into it if I would like it to have any sort of following I do art prints at the moment, but looking to change this in the future, over on my website.

    And I will also post this which may help

    Name:  assignment1-progress.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  41.1 KB

    Here are a few other sketches I have made in the past day or so...

    Similar to the previous pictures, just traditional with less space to work with (tiny SB).

    Name:  sb1.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  140.5 KB

    Playing with shapes while adding different details to create new characters from the same rough idea.

    Name:  sb2.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  105.5 KB

    Doodling at night before bed, I like crazy creature stuff

    Name:  sb3.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  73.9 KB

    Anyways back to work, thank you for looking

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Two early morning studies to get the brain moving

    Almost Daily's from Rist
    Almost Daily's from Rist

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,681
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 950 Posts
    Nice work Rist . Design-wise you're on the right track in using shapes and proportions. What your drawings will benefit from is better structure. No matter how stylized you want to be, it will always be obvious if you have a solid understanding of how to describe form on a 2d surface. So while you're taking these classes you should consider studying how to draw simple forms in perspective also.

    Wouter is a great guy and teacher so I'm sure he'll guide you on the right path. Keep it up!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by fantasyartist View Post
    Nice work Rist . Design-wise you're on the right track in using shapes and proportions. What your drawings will benefit from is better structure. No matter how stylized you want to be, it will always be obvious if you have a solid understanding of how to describe form on a 2d surface. So while you're taking these classes you should consider studying how to draw simple forms in perspective also.

    Wouter is a great guy and teacher so I'm sure he'll guide you on the right path. Keep it up!
    Hello and thank you I think its always a challenge and room to grow when it comes to making work look more and more real. On the course I am on with Wouter, he is just touching on dimensional drawing, which perhaps will improve the structural integrity of my drawings! These you see were pretty quick studies I did this morning as a warm-up exercise Didn't really think about perspective etc, which I should! And these are all excuses for the obvious truth which is I am not showing my full potential to the masses


    Attached is some art I have created as a print on Etsy. Giraffe with inspiration from a baby hedgehog in someones hand :o

    Name:  giraffe2.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  40.9 KB

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Here is some more work I have worked on for the past couple of week. My aim at the moment is to begin improving again as i stagnated for a few years and decided to stop trying to improve. But I am now back into the habit of studying and hopefully will overcome some of the shortcomings in my work!

    Name:  unicolourbeaute-a3.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  137.9 KB
    Name:  monkeyalice.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  156.7 KB
    Name:  asiatic-cheetah-2-copy.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  133.3 KB

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,401
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 294 Times in 292 Posts
    Did you ever try gestures and, like 5-20 sec drawings before you
    do a character?

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by iven View Post
    Did you ever try gestures and, like 5-20 sec drawings before you
    do a character?
    Short answer: yes.

    Long Answer: Not as often as I would like. If it is a commission or a major illustration i am deciding to tackle I will create many thumbnails of a character design before deciding on the right fit. I will also collect a lot of researched reference of various poses. I did a lot of gesture practice in life drawing and from anatomy books in the past. I feel my gesture work has had a tumble down the hill as of late due to lack of studies, so this will be a thing I may have to put back into my schedule!

    Thank you for dropping by again, I'll have to sub myself to your sketchbook and keep up to date with it rather than trying to catch up with all those posts haha

    Here is a pretty old design I did awhile back (posting art along with a picture to keep moderation happy (well Black Spot, she's deadly!)


    Name:  e5a9b6ce975dc137e3e7b32da3bbadda.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  168.6 KB

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,401
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 294 Times in 292 Posts
    Cool drawing dude, I find my gestures give my my work
    life, if I don't do them they lack in dynamic/ action/ look stiff.
    A gesture isn't an exercise to me it's second nature. Anyway
    great stuff you draw look different than other works!


    Black spot is deadly? What do you mean, are you referring to your
    post or the the user?

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to iven For This Useful Post:


  13. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    796
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 212 Times in 210 Posts
    Hello man, you have a interesting style in your paintings.... how did you developed that?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to pauloricardo For This Useful Post:


  15. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pauloricardo View Post
    Hello man, you have a interesting style in your paintings.... how did you developed that?
    Hi Paulo, thank you for stopping by!

    I try different styles all the time, you may need to show me a specific picture which caught your eye some of my most recent work was inspired by coloring books for adults as I was working on a few books in the past 12 months. I have also been working with both traditional and digital painting for around 8 years now so the style have had time to develop over time/

    Funny enough I feel like I need to 'find' a style as I am still struggling to discover my career in art.

    Quote Originally Posted by iven View Post
    Cool drawing dude, I find my gestures give my my work
    life, if I don't do them they lack in dynamic/ action/ look stiff.
    A gesture isn't an exercise to me it's second nature. Anyway
    great stuff you draw look different than other works!


    Black spot is deadly? What do you mean, are you referring to your
    post or the the user?
    Yes I feel some of my characters in particular are STIFF. I think that is why i tend to draw more creatures as I generally create creatures doing some sort of action associated with creatures.

    I've been striving to create something unique. I guess I feel that If i am committing myself to create something then it should be something only I could have created. Which can be hard in today's over-saturated job/creative market!



    No worries about the Black Spot comment, I have her on my facebook and she regularly banters on my FB posts (I'm Andy Johnson, Black Spot... if you see this!). I guess I feel her presence on here watching my every move... o_o Hehe



    ---

    Created this a while back too, idea was to develop a few character concepts as I began getting inquiries over on LinkedIn for concept art jobs even though I did not have a proper portfolio at the time!

    Name:  990074aed0ed92555eeb600f8774bc8f.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  133.4 KB

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:


  17. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Last post for today. This one is from todays DSG topic about battle ostriches... took about an hour to sketch... wanted more details, but didn't want to spend too much time on it!

    Name:  battleostrich.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  39.1 KB

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Two warm up exercises, thank you for stopping by

    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  65.2 KBName:  1.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  58.1 KB

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Using inspiration from this weeks C.O.W, this creature under the stairs is an exercise in value balance, composition elements to draw the eye and overall how to paint something when its a pretty dark scene.

    Name:  1-1.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  58.7 KB

    - - - Updated - - -

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,333
    Thanks
    472
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 763 Posts
    Thanks for stopping my my sketchbook, I'm gonna leave a comment on yours now because etiquette forces me to do so.

    I think you would benefit greatly from doing more studies for a while. They will improve your imaginative work quite a bit and judging by the studies you've done so far I'd say there is a lot of room for improvement in that regard.
    Especially value studies will give you a better understanding of how light and shadows work and you can utilize that knowledge later on to make your characters from imagination look more appealing.

    Nice ostrich.

  21. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeraz View Post
    Thanks for stopping my my sketchbook, I'm gonna leave a comment on yours now because etiquette forces me to do so.

    I think you would benefit greatly from doing more studies for a while. They will improve your imaginative work quite a bit and judging by the studies you've done so far I'd say there is a lot of room for improvement in that regard.
    Especially value studies will give you a better understanding of how light and shadows work and you can utilize that knowledge later on to make your characters from imagination look more appealing.

    Nice ostrich.
    Hi Tigger, thank you for stopping by!

    I agree, been a little while since I did studies, so trying to catch up. Unable to just focus on studies though otherwise I will die of starvation

    Here is a quick 30 minute value study.

    Name:  30minstudy.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  70.1 KB

  22. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    45 minute value study. 15 minutes extra defo gave me that extra time for details.

    Name:  2-1.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  85.0 KB

  23. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Few different characters from the same reference, pretty quick and rough

    Name:  assignment1-4.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  84.5 KB

  24. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,401
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 294 Times in 292 Posts
    Hey Rist, I like those caricatures I think you can push them oven more.
    When you say quick and rough I wonder if you have gestures done for this?

    You can push this with it's line of action, the weight of the character and
    the different props and pose it self!

    My favorite is the first one, even the third one you can push the legs a bit more
    making them super thin would be even more funny! Great work Eh and you feed
    the lions in here with your realistic work, good boy. You'll learn a lot from them
    if you follow up with their requests!

  25. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by iven View Post
    Hey Rist, I like those caricatures I think you can push them oven more.
    When you say quick and rough I wonder if you have gestures done for this?

    You can push this with it's line of action, the weight of the character and
    the different props and pose it self!

    My favorite is the first one, even the third one you can push the legs a bit more
    making them super thin would be even more funny! Great work Eh and you feed
    the lions in here with your realistic work, good boy. You'll learn a lot from them
    if you follow up with their requests!
    Hi Ivan,

    The caricatures are part of the schoolism course and the first lesson is just how to use reference to makč your own characters by pushing and pulling shapes. I am normally a copier and render as close to the original as possible, so all this is new to me this is why i call it quick and rough. I do gesture lines with most of my work. I just erase it during the drawing phase.

    I am thinking of switching to a value and lighting course after ive taken enough from this expressive course.

    Here is a bender sketch to wake me up in the morning Almost Daily's from Rist

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  26. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Drew a cat stretching while stood up. But when i took the photo for instagram i loved how it looked on its side!Almost Daily's from Rist

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  27. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Here are the pre-workout for the kitty cat ! And the original.Almost Daily's from RistAlmost Daily's from Rist

  28. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,401
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 294 Times in 292 Posts
    I am normally a copier and render as close to the original as possible!
    I can tell, did the schoolism boys not give you a paint over? Aren't they from Toronto?
    I know some of them I think they drew in the subways, I joined them for years sketching
    people in the Toronto Rocket.

    Anyway great stuff! I will do a paint over let's how that look like. If you use a blue color
    pencil it scanner doesn't pick that up so well, I also think it looks nice to see that work in
    the drawing. I appreciate that, and my teachers said that too about those rough lines.
    Regardless great stuff dude love the cat and robot, try 2 colors drawings.

  29. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by iven View Post
    I can tell, did the schoolism boys not give you a paint over? Aren't they from Toronto?
    I know some of them I think they drew in the subways, I joined them for years sketching
    people in the Toronto Rocket.

    Anyway great stuff! I will do a paint over let's how that look like. If you use a blue color
    pencil it scanner doesn't pick that up so well, I also think it looks nice to see that work in
    the drawing. I appreciate that, and my teachers said that too about those rough lines.
    Regardless great stuff dude love the cat and robot, try 2 colors drawings.
    Hey Ivan,

    Unfortunately I am on the subscription-based model for schoolism, which means I get everything except the paint-over feedback. I did do a course about 9 years ago which taught me how to use digital software. Great to see you socialized with that crowd, I would LOVE to find friends who are creative where I live.

    Speaking of rough, thought to mess around with some brushes with with cat picture. This was a lazy drawing, but what I would like to note is that it was an outside the 'box' painting, where I am more interested in the mark making process rather than the beautiful rendering technique.

    Its very purple so might want to push my boundaries with colour too on my next studies.

    Name:  catsketchcolour.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  152.9 KB

  30. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,401
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 294 Times in 292 Posts
    I really like the cat looks good, when I was referring to a rough drawing I was
    more thinking of the very beginning of the character design. I made you a paint
    over to show you how I learned it, they always told us to make the pen fly on
    paper don't be shy bring in action and bend/ twist the poses to it's extreme!

    Simply a rough gesture with action lines, no details yet just shapes!
    The first sketch is a light color others are darker, you can see how I already
    define small details. To have a character really well defined you want to stay
    in the gesture process for a while and try all possibilities.

    Important for this exercise is also not to go to small use at least one page for
    each character, than lay them in front of you and compare. That's how I do it
    in flash I can simply flick through the keyframes and see each drawing or make
    onion skin to compare what works/ what not.

    Maybe try it so my paint over is worth a while

    Ps.: I find it hard too to find friend who are creative, I made my own free sketch group
    through facebook where we socialize and draw around town. Maybe that works for you too!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to iven For This Useful Post:


  32. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,229
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 304 Times in 273 Posts
    So the last time I checked in here it was just the first page with the gangsta guy. You've been working working hard so that's good. I like the stretching cat, although I probably would have preferred the yawning one, cos it's adorbs. That said, reading the comment you made about it being very purple I disagree. I think that it helps the tone of the image, adds to the feel of it ya know.

    With regards to Iven's paintover the exaggeration is good, but something he neglected is the posture, which I think is very important for conveying character. The original image has the man with his back arched backward and his nose up in the air, which is very important for expressing who he is.

  33. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by iven View Post
    I really like the cat looks good, when I was referring to a rough drawing I was
    more thinking of the very beginning of the character design. I made you a paint
    over to show you how I learned it, they always told us to make the pen fly on
    paper don't be shy bring in action and bend/ twist the poses to it's extreme!

    Simply a rough gesture with action lines, no details yet just shapes!
    The first sketch is a light color others are darker, you can see how I already
    define small details. To have a character really well defined you want to stay
    in the gesture process for a while and try all possibilities.

    Important for this exercise is also not to go to small use at least one page for
    each character, than lay them in front of you and compare. That's how I do it
    in flash I can simply flick through the keyframes and see each drawing or make
    onion skin to compare what works/ what not.

    Maybe try it so my paint over is worth a while [emoji14]

    Ps.: I find it hard too to find friend who are creative, I made my own free sketch group
    through facebook where we socialize and draw around town. Maybe that works for you too!
    I think i see what yiu are referring to. In the later lessons it goes into character and the purpose of the drawing. This exercise was just about pulling and pushing shapes to see what can be had from it. I got a little tunnel vision while doing it and neglected to think of the purpose of the pose, rather just expressing different shapes to find a happy accident.

    Your focus on gesture as a critique has really paid off! All these years i have felt my work was stiff and tight. One word, gesture. I never incorporated at all., i learned about it in life drawing, but never felt the importance of it. I guess this can be the problem with self taught, sometimes we are the teachers and decide the importance of things.

    Im thinking about going to some life drawing classes just for gesture drawing thanks to you ivan

    (I'll update with more of those pictures soon)

    AJAMS:

    Hi and welcome!

    I guess my confidence is slipping when it comes to colour and becoming colour 'deaf'. All last year i painted 0% of the time and just draw in pencil and ink. I guess im just a bit rusty and need to regain confidence.

    I do also hate the fact that the cat is not yawning! The expression he has now on his face is too relaxed for the type of pose. I think thats why i laid the cat on its side, his expression suits a sleeping cat!

    I should be continuing this sketchbook for the foreseeable future as i dont see any other relevent online place for sketchbook studies and roughs. Its more of a personal goal as i want to monitor my progress and what better way for creating leverage and responsibility than to produce an online place for people to come and see.

    ---

    Here is a sheet of arm studies. These are what i consider easy and more of a revision of what i can already do. I need to go into studies that make me struggle more Almost Daily's from Rist

  34. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,681
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 950 Posts
    You did a good job with the muscles and in playing with different proportions. What the arms are really missing is volume. You should keep in mind that the arm is a three dimensional form. I think that's really the challenge for you right now to take your drawings to the next level.

  35. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 306 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by fantasyartist View Post
    You did a good job with the muscles and in playing with different proportions. What the arms are really missing is volume. You should keep in mind that the arm is a three dimensional form. I think that's really the challenge for you right now to take your drawings to the next level.
    In the arm drawing the focus was mainly where the muscle groups were and the playing with proportions were just an added extra. I would love to go to the next level, but I do need a little more detail on what is missing in my dimensional work. I guess in some drawings I neglect the dimensional work for other qualities, such as emotion or story telling.

    Here are the techniques I use to add a 3D feel to things:

    Visualize the object in my mind at all stages of the drawing, emphasizing a 3D environment.

    Use a horizon-line to help suggest top and bottom planes and to help with distance proportions.

    T-junction connections to show a cut off from one shape to the next,

    Overlapping forms to suggest which is in front of the other.

    Line-weight for line-art to use thicker lines for those in the foreground and for line stoppers in a T-Junction.

    Shading and value to suggest whats in front and what is behind. At the moment I use shading for the one behind, is this correct (I'm thinkking maybe I saw this once by an artist and adopted it, but now that I thinking about it, the darker or lighter something is the more is comes forward, and pencil shading is very prominent)?

    Colour, I use less saturated colour for background when I remind myself to and also use cooler colours in the background when relevant.

    These are what I could think of when I create something. It could be I neglect to use all of them, at least the relevant ones, consistently.

    For me I feel its the gesture. I have focused a lot of attention on all the other fundamentals, but never used this and this is what you could consider as the groundwork for your dimensional work. There is a flaw in my process I feel which might be affecting the end-result.

    The only other thing is practice, I lack in practicing a lot of the things I have learned over the years. A lot of my work in my past year has been for colouring books, which is all 2D pattern work.

    I could use a check-list technique, where I create a checklist of all the things which need to be added for it to work as a fundamentally correct drawing. The problem I have at the moment is not the lack of knowledge, but the lack of execution and instinct, at least this is how I see it. I have done a lot of master paintings, but when it comes to my personal work I still miss important elements I saw during the master painting study.

    I'll have to keep pushing my boundaries and never type an excuse, instead convert that excuse into a solution

    Here is some gestures from imagination, next step is to grab some photos and do more gestures.

    Name:  gesture1.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  116.0 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SketchBook: Rist - Sketchbook
    By Rist in forum Sketchbooks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: July 31st, 2015, 05:05 PM
  2. RIST - Composition 1.1
    By Rist in forum Composition 1.1 - Completed
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: October 25th, 2014, 12:24 PM

Members who have read this thread: 4

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.