Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: MKs Sketchbook

Thanks

MKs Sketchbook

Hi MKs Sketchbook
    2017: I'm a hobby-artist, self-taught and haven't drawn regularily in years. I'm looking into getting better and eventually offering commissions.:)
    make some money with my hobby ;P ... and just draw. It's so much fun to try new things and get better in old things. I love getting critique so please don't be afraid!

2018: hey I did draw a lot since I started this sketchbook! And I did a commission or two... not a lot, but something. Been exploring and learning. Having a lot of fun drawing and contemplating if I should take this more seriously, as a career option. That's more than I had expected when I picked up drawing again!

Name:  thumbnail0028.jpg
Views: 3180
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  20180806_195829.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  243.4 KB

Come for the more rendered studies, stay for the bs draws? B)

:party: Doing a little spontaneous project about elf-concepts based on differnt habitats they inhabit, come have a look :party:
    Name:  photo_2018-08-20_16-59-51 (3).jpg
Views: 363
Size:  36.6 KB
    Last edited by mkingamess; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:13 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Alright, here are some sketches from yesterday. Some bear studies. Because here are the things I utterly suck at: environment, machines and animals!
    Obviously this means thats what I should study more.
    Name:  Bears2.jpg
Views: 3950
Size:  327.5 KB
    Name:  Bears3.jpg
Views: 3952
Size:  352.0 KB

Thanks
    Today's sketches
    Name:  20170609_170827.jpg
Views: 3941
Size:  314.8 KB

Thanks
    Name:  0016 wip1.jpg
Views: 3952
Size:  64.3 KB
    WIP! Loki's castle. Not a study, more of a merge of elements of the smokers I saw on different pictures.
    Critique always welcome!!!

Thanks
    I say you shouldn't doubt your abilities you're still pretty good but yea target your weaknesses. I'd say your bear proportions atleast from my eye, don't look very accurate or how you demonstrate the length of fur on top which misleads me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SharkArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  0020.jpg
Views: 3643
Size:  81.4 KB
    Finished this a while ago forgot to upload! Need to stay active, oops :,) It was a lot of fun, but digital art kinda hurts? (my wrist)

Thanks
    Name:  20170625_002618.jpg
Views: 3648
Size:  229.1 KB

Quickish study! Long long leggi is quite incorrecti but given the lack of mojo and practise I currently have I am pleased enough. Horrible unlikeliness in the face! Picture taken from https://line-of-action.com/practice-...igure-drawing/ !

Thanks
    Name:  0021 rerescaled.jpg
Views: 3424
Size:  105.8 KB
    Name:  0021 rescaled blank.jpg
Views: 3414
Size:  112.2 KB
    For my ask-blog. I am very inconsistens with my work. Anyways I am happy THAT I finally finished a drawing, but not with the drawing itself.
    I tried sketching in normal pencil the day I started this, but it did not work at all. Luckily I tried sketching in colours afterwards and I think i worked much better.

Thanks
    I haven't been active here in a long long time, but let me throw in some watercolour/pencil drawings...

Name:  0023.jpg
Views: 3194
Size:  126.3 KB
    Name:  0026.jpg
Views: 3184
Size:  160.6 KB
    I did some landscape drawing lately, but I don't have a photo of it yet. I'll upload that 2morrow
    What do you guys think? :o I do see many mistakes/lazy spots, but I still kind of like the overall results.

Thanks
    I'll upload the other drawing now because I found a photo I had taken earlier
    As always not the best, but my scanner is probably not compatible anymore, not to mention that it's still in my parents' appartment...

Name:  Ginsterhof 2018.jpg
Views: 3171
Size:  50.5 KB

Thanks
    OK picture spam because I've been productiove lately with landscape studies, getting to know my water colours better.
    Name:  photo_2018-02-09_21-54-47.jpg
Views: 3071
Size:  257.7 KB
    Name:  photo_2018-02-09_21-54-32.jpg
Views: 3074
Size:  298.4 KB
    Name:  0028.jpg
Views: 3109
Size:  77.7 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mkingamess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    reuploading former thumbnail. I think a character portrais my sketchbook much better than a plant drawing
    Name:  0000alt4.jpg
Views: 3095
Size:  72.8 KB

Thanks
    Name:  photo_2018-03-04_15-03-51.jpg
Views: 3024
Size:  196.0 KB

Thanks
    Name:  photo_2018-05-10_17-02-49 (2).jpg
Views: 2880
Size:  131.8 KB
    The King in Yellow

Thanks
    Name:  Osterglocken 18 04 2018.jpg
Views: 2825
Size:  47.2 KB
    Name:  photo_2018-05-08_01-04-04.jpg
Views: 2791
Size:  346.8 KB
    I don't know what the time limit is for my posts, since I am still an officially new user and observed considering spammage, I suppose.
    I'll just try now and if not I hope I remember to come online tomorrow/within the next days. To be honest, I draw much moer than this thread implies, I just never upload anything, because I forget this account. Really need to get better in that regard, since this website is a lot of fun and has cool people on it

Thanks
    Name:  tumblr_inline_p6ky5pxrGV1qmxc3e_540.jpg
Views: 2771
Size:  74.6 KB
    Name:  tumblr_inline_p8olyd5B4p1qmxc3e_540.jpg
Views: 2759
Size:  126.7 KB
    Water color fun

Thanks
    Name:  photo_2018-05-10_17-02-49.jpg
Views: 2727
Size:  162.6 KB

Just doodling while listening to Lovecraft audiobooks

Thanks
    Name:  photo_2018-05-15_14-45-43 2.jpg
Views: 2717
Size:  87.6 KB
    Name:  photo_2018-05-15_14-45-55 2.jpg
Views: 2673
Size:  64.6 KB
    Name:  photo_2018-05-15_14-45-55 3.jpg
Views: 2691
Size:  59.6 KB

characters from DnD, planning commissions

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mkingamess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  2018-05-20_20.05.46.jpg
Views: 2601
Size:  229.3 KB

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mkingamess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That's very good! 👍
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

26. The Following User Says Thank You to pilgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  photo_2018-05-21_13-30-40 3.jpg
Views: 2541
Size:  158.7 KB
    So these are a few warm up and very failed attempts at drawing the most challenging angle of the head (for me).
    On the bottom there's a study and I've illustrated my method of measuring. distances are important but even more so are angles. When I drew this the reference was on my monitor and it was a lot smaller than the sketch I did. That makes measuring distances trickier for me, but angles always work. So I just divige the head into shapes such a parallelograms, triangles and plain lines with a less direct relationship to each other. In this example I started with the parallelogram, to get the drawing going. This method probably has been explained somewhere else way better than I do it, but I am self-taught and don't "learn" a lot about art. I just do it to the best of my abilities. Seeing patterns and relationships is an important skill and it's one i am definitely working on.

Thanks
    Name:  small 0064.jpg
Views: 2543
Size:  193.9 KB
    Forgot about this loose, fun one. Not worrying about realism, just going for colours and expression.
    Also this is the last page of my DinA5 watercolor paper block! I've been trying to build up watercolor-mileage and been pretty consistent since the start of the year

Thanks
    Your watercolors look great! Hopefully you have more paper stashed, or can get hold of more easily?
    I was wondering in your latest post, is that watercolour + watercolour pencil/crayons?

Very good variety of media, style, and subjects, I enjoyed my visit here

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your watercolors look great! Hopefully you have more paper stashed, or can get hold of more easily?
    I was wondering in your latest post, is that watercolour + watercolour pencil/crayons?

Very good variety of media, style, and subjects, I enjoyed my visit here

Thank you!! I have a DinA4 stash with way thicker and textured paper which I am using right now! It's very different because I am not used to the texture, but it's interesting!
    For that picture I actually used pastel oil crayons, which I just bought a couple of days ago. So far I haven't had much experience with them, but I like them! I needed a way to get light back into my watercolours if I don't plan far enough.
    And, well, that is always the case... because I like to make decisions on the go! Sadly my white pencil is not opaque enough. Eventually I'll try guache, but the pastels were on sale and only a couple bucks :,)!
    I hope you have a great day!!

Thanks
    Nice to see some watercolors, you can try to lift using damp brush or sponge (without any color) on area on dry area but works even better if you do it clean it, get excessive water out off it and use it on wet paint, you can also use masking fluid if you need to preserve whites. That's why watercolor is harder than other mediums as you cannot really do changes and you have to plan and leave whites but don't give up
    https://keenewilson.com/page/12220/focus-on-watercolor
    Last edited by stonec; May 21st, 2018 at 10:43 PM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for stopping by my sketchbook

...Now I'm curious and excited to see what rough paper you are using? You just mention size, and not brand... I sort of hope for a Hahnemühle Torchon because mine ended up at the bottom of a box before trying it and am curious to see if it's worth spending the time digging it out

My favourite ways of keeping whites, maybe there's some ideas you didn't know already?

- Masking fluid for controlled or detail work

-I have seen people use masking and washi tape for larger areas, but it needs cutting, which I haven't dared trying yet...

- Gouache for finishing whites or making things opaque (regular gouache might dissolve depending on brand and water quantity, and you can end up with an ugly patch of mud if you want to paint over the white and aren't careful, only acrylic gouache somewhat endures painting over pretty carelessly but when dry on the palette, it's difficult or impossible to dissolve depending on brand it seems)

- An alternative to gouache might be derwent's inktense white (I say might because I've never used it on watercolors, only with its fellow inktense colours). It dries opaque, but has a chalky feel, and non-dissolvable. I only tried the blocks and using it like watercolour, but I guess with a pencil you can get some pretty good lines if you keep the tip moist?

- Derwent's white drawing pencil is waxy and decent, but leans to the warm side it seems, which makes it useless in a lot of contexts. But there might be similar options for neutrals and cools?

- Blooming effects for texture (dropping water into wet paint), works best if the paper contains cotton to my experience. Salt leaves whites too, but I'm not really sure whether or not salt is Ph neutral?

- Lifting can easily turn into an entire science project. It depends on both the paper and whether or not the colours are staining, how wet/dry it is, and how big of an area you need to get lifted. For tiny areas, I've gotten away with quite a lot. On larger areas, only on good paper with significant amount of cotton that grants you "edge control and fixing options", and be prepared with a plan B because you most likely can't take all of it off completely. So highly transparent colours, like a cerulean blue, will never cover any leftover marks from a highly concentrated dark blue. And even on cotton paper you need to be gentle with the surface... It's however super fun to experiment with just for "scientific purposes". Dabbing/rolling (no hard rubbing!) cotton swaps are btw brilliant for lifting tiny/small areas on especially cellulose paper, it give better edges than using a paper tissue

- With your new lovely rough paper texture, you can make lots of white patches by just gently brushing over an area with the side of a round brush that isn't too wet

I see you live in Germany, so just a kind warning on supplies: Even though they are temptingly cheap, Schmincke's Akademie Gouache is not recommended! I got a bunch from Bösner's webshop, it says "gouache", but it's actually acrylic gouache in the worst way possible! The binder separated from the pigments in many of the tubes and those were very gooey to work with where the paint is transparent and all you get is a shiny binder-layer.
    There shouldn't be any problems if you use their artist or designer grades, as far as I understand from the internet

Sorry for the long reply, especially if you already know your options or aren't interested. I know these are tips you didn't directly ask for.
    Hopefully you'll still show lots of work with your oil pastels, that's one medium I don't really use much of myself so seeing other people use it is much interesting

Wishing you a wonderful day and keep up the great art

Thanks
    Watercolor paper:
    The stash I just finished was 180 gsm and by pandoro, it was like 4 bucks. The one I am going to use from now on is the Watercolor pad by SM.LT 280 gsm. It’s not the most textured but it’s decent! I like a little bit of texture I’ve never dared to buy Hahnemühle ! It’s expensive^^’’ You also know so much about cotton percentage and the properties it causes and I had no ideaaaa lol I only ever check the gsm

Methods for whites:
    That’s one hell of a list I did know these techniques, but have tried very few. Back when I worked with the Pelikan’s Deckfarbe (it’s somewhere in between guache and watercolor but for kids basically) I used the tape-method. Don’t recommend from my experience, because the cutting IS annoying :,) But works. Masking fluid is cool! I use it when I have little parts I’d otherwise just clumsily paint over. Mine is also really old and by Schmincke, the liquid has yellowed over the…. Uhm 7 years or more, but it still works perfectly. But since I rely o pencil lines as outlines most of the time it can get complicated to take the masking fluid off with the eraser.
    At some point I really want to try guache! AND get a proper white pencil. Derwent’s you say? Never heard of that brand but they look cool I hope they sell single pencils, will definitely give it a look!

Generally lifting is my go-to-method when I don’t want to go back to pure-ish white (if I want to do THAT I just say well that sucks, because I can’t do it with my corrent supplies lol!) I also used acrylic white and light colours on top of watercolors and I recommend that technique it’s really fun and you can get some impasto feeling in parts. Buuut my acrylics are not with me since I moved 2 years ago and left some stuff. If I am 100% certain that I want to keep a part pure white I just try not to paint over it That’s…. that’s my technique… that’s anti-climatic!

Schmincke?:
    It’s “cheap”?? :,D!!! I would have been using the chapest stuff and probably my Pelikan set up to this day if a girl in middle school hadn’t given me this set she didn’t want anymore. Actually 90% of the supplies I own are gifts and the others are bad brands, no name, cheap as heck products lol
    Only nowadays I am even considering to spend money on supplies and I am still very stingy. I mean- I’s not my profession On that topic- yeah table salt is pH neutral! I am a chemist

Name:  20180522_193514 small.jpg
Views: 2465
Size:  440.6 KB
    Today's picture;
    3/3 finally! Now all of these commission pieces need to be colored.

Thanks
    Ooooh you're a chemist!? -In what area chemist? And thank you so much for clearing up the salt ph-question! ...And also the tape-stuff, it's always nice to get insights from someone who has experienced stuff first hand xD

Seems like you already have a good grasp on things, awesome! ...Hahaha, yes leaving out the whites, I'm so busy spamming ideas and then forget the most obvious xD I'm excited to see what you find of pencils, mine end up too transparent... So please do put stuff up here with pencil name and brand if you find any good ones

Eeerrm.... Welll.... I can buy a tube of Schmincke watercolors from Bösner for like 2/3 of the price of a Holbein tube costs me, and if I shop for more than 110 Euros I get free shipping xD -And schmincke is a very good brand, one of my 3 favorites (M.Graham and Holbein being the other 2).
    Actually, you just need the 3 primaries and a brown, then mix ...But I'm also one of those "art-tards" who can shop for like 200 Euros worth of art supplies per month and sacrifice everything else in the process
    Nothing wrong with cheap supplies for fun either, I'd just go for professional grades if it's for sales because of the (especially) lightfastness and the filler issues cheaper paints have.

I love your new sketch btw, looking forward to see it colored

Thanks
    stonec: Nice to see some watercolors, you can try to lift using damp brush or sponge (without any color) on area on dry area but works even better if you do it clean it, get excessive water out off it and use it on wet paint, you can also use masking fluid if you need to preserve whites. That's why watercolor is harder than other mediums as you cannot really do changes and you have to plan and leave whites but don't give up
    https://keenewilson.com/page/12220/focus-on-watercolor
    Hey thanks for the link! I'm usually the type of student who is all about learning by doing, but giving this a read would definitely be smart Thank you for stopping by!

Thanks
    @Trixar

Well I'm still a student and am going to get the title M.Sc. next summer, and my main field is technical chemistry. For my B.Sc. I actually programmed a little apparatus for analysis of emulsions. i don't actually know how to program but it worked haha
    I've only used watercolors forreal since not even a ful year. Before that I just dabbled here and there. So I'm thankful for every idea and technnique Still a beginner after all. My primary medium always were pencils, but using them on a big drawing -> cramps in the hand. (I have a little bit of a condition) that's why I definitely need to work on watercolor and/or painting in general

It's true lightfastness is important if it's for sales and from my experiences my Schminke colors have been holding up pretty well so far. I go shopping for art supplies very rarely, but I love it. But then i look at the prices :,))) However I have a lot of stuff I want to try out! I've never used Hohlbein and Graham, but I've heard only good of them. I am using 2 colors by White Nights, a russian brand that was on sale a few months ago, and I've been liking it so far! Very pigmented colors.

I'll color it within this week along with the other 3 But here is another sketch I thought I had uploaded a while ago, but haven't!

Name:  photo_2018-05-03_10-01-28.jpg
Views: 2479
Size:  147.0 KB

I'll try a new little technique with this later and then I'll also color it. of course vikings are the motive I am most familiar with lol

39. The Following User Says Thank You to mkingamess For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast