Thanks

Am I doing gesturals wrong or are they supposed to destroy my life?

So this is how it usually goes (as of a few days ago when I first started studying gestural drawing):

Step 1: I pull up a series of photos primed to go, and set a nice little 30 second alarm on my phone.

Step 2: It's go time. I start analyzing and drawing. YES! I got the angle of the head rightish. Crap... I only have 8 seconds left...

Step 3: Oh God.... oh holy god! Okay okay, don't panic... neck line! Aaaaand action line! Aaaand.... was that line his penis or his foot? CRAP! Doesn't matter... okay I'll worry about symmetry and weight on the next one... 3 seconds left!

Step 4:

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! Okay... just attack it with all the lines! ALL OF THEM!

All the lines until I've shattered both my pencil AND inner demons!!!!!

WHY DIDN'T YOU LOVE ME MOM?! WHY?!!

just get it ALL OUT!

GET IT ALL OUT IN THE LINES!!!

Step 5: The alarm goes off, I put down my pencil, and then spend the next 3 hours covered in sweat, huddled in the fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably.

So help me out guys. What am I doing wrong here? Is it like... a technique or something? Or is it the part where I have a total breakdown?
    Last edited by Clandestiny; May 19th, 2017 at 10:20 AM.
    My sketchbook - take a look

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Spend a few minutes analyzing then your thirty seconds drawing.

Also eat better if you are sweating for three hours after a thirty second drawing.. same for the three hours of sobbing.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 762 Posts
    I agree with modi123.
    Two hours of sobbing should be more than enough!

Thanks
    To Modi123, I can up my morning banana to 2 morning bananas. And yeah, I dunno why, but I thought pre-analyzing was cheating for probably no reason. That actually would likely fix much of the issue, yeah. The bananas and the analyzing. Got it. Thanks!

And to tiggeraz, yeah I'm sure you're right. The last hour is more breathless whimpering anyway. If I cut that hour out, I can maybe do 2 or 3 gesturals a day! I'm starting to get it now. It's not about the figure, it's about staring down the deepest, darkest, corners of my soul. It's about challenging myself to do the impossible. It's about the 6 months of self reflection I'll have at the mental institution these gesturals are leading me towards. Guys.... I'm doing it. I'm making art my bitch!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,477 Times in 4,461 Posts
    Draw stick figures to begin with, then slowly bulk them out. 30 seconds is a bit short for gestures when you're not used to them. Do 1 minute ones until you feel comfortable, then do 30 second ones. Have you tried 15 seconds one?

Thanks
    +Black Spot: You can do that? Just change up the time whenever you like?! My god, that's not art, that's anarchy! But also that would definitely stress me out less. I'm thinking (since we're just making up rules now because nothing matters anymore) that I should maybe try doing without the countdown timer, and instead do a stopwatch. I think I get along better on a personal level with numbers that infinitely increase as apposed to numbers that count down to 0... to the end of everything.

Thanks so much for the recommendation and advice! I'll keep trying to simplify the figure and build it as you've suggested. I'm really trying to develop a standard or systemic approach to figure drawing so that I can build it into muscle memory and intuitively know (in general) what that first line or curve will be and where to go next. Right now, if I tried 15 seconds, I'd just attack the page with lines. That will be one of my personal benchmarks when gauging how far in life I've come. :: Dear diary, I did my first 15 second gesture today. I only peed my pants once. ::
    Last edited by Clandestiny; May 19th, 2017 at 03:55 PM.
    My sketchbook - take a look

Thanks
    If you have the chance, go draw a real naked model. In those gesture drawing sessions, you draw until the model changes the pose. Takes practice but you'll get the hang of it. They'd also mostly start out with a coupel of very short poses, then progressively give you more time.
    For really quick drawings like 30 seconds or 1 minute, I like to use something bigger than a pencil; charcoal, sanguine, marker,, makes it impossible to go into all those details you don't have time for anyway.
    capture that movement man!