Thanks

EOW 293: Inside Goblin Glacier

A goblin is a monstrous creature from folklore. They are almost always small and grotesque, mischievous or outright evil, and greedy, especially for gold and jewelry. They often have magical abilities similar to a fairy or demon. This doesn't necessarily have to be a fantasy environment either, you can interpret "goblin" to be a code name or an allusion to a kind of structure, military facility, or operation.

Requirements:
    -It must be clear why the interior of this glacier is called "goblin" or "goblin-like" whether there are goblin inhabitants inside or some other reason.
    -The general atmosphere must be cold, freezing, or "not warm"
    -Include a short summary of the story behind it, or a museum exhibit blurb

The due date is two weeks from now: May 19, 2017.

This thread is for your WIPs. Post your final entry in the Finals thread. Thank you and good luck!!!
    Join us for the EOW..

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I like the brief Vulgar! By tomorrow I want to have an idea for the story.

Thanks
    Sorry for posting like this, sometimes the forum crashes on my iPad and typing takes too long on a tablet, so I took a screenshot of my initial text.
    Name:  IMG_1027.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  86.7 KB

Below low are the super roughs of a little torture/dissecting device he has for fairies and other cute creatures. His bed, I imagine he robbed some sort of royal caravan and stole the baby princesses' bed and now uses that. He did make it more to his taste. I want him to have a pile of treasure that's obviously super wealthy, but he doesn't care, he just wants it. I also want him to have some drawings on the walls. He gets bored a lot and might have found the princesses crayons and some of her pictures and got inspired in his own way.

I also imagine his lair to be in a Nordic setting, to make it colder I' considering giving him more metallic "furniture" but I find wood more believable. I want him to have a table for his experiments and repairs, he has to be thrifty. During our D&D sessions he's not very likeable so I picture him vary much alone, needing to repair or make things. I want him to be very handy, but not too intelligent as to have books and such. More, generally curious.
    Name:  IMG_1025.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  210.5 KB
    Last edited by Sutan san; May 9th, 2017 at 05:11 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sutan san For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The first image I asked myself ;"what kind of weapons would he have lying around?" And a few random props came up also. A sad abused and tortured bunny (maybe from another loot) he even might have made a torture cross for it. I do think he will have found candles but the chandelier would have been shiny, so it would end up on the loot pile. He does use found books for his candles.

Name:  IMG_1028.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  147.4 KB

Then I wondered how would he store his weapons? On a rack? Another untidy pile that would be frustrating when grabbing a weapon every time he runs out because one of he's traps are triggered. Does he stick them in the wall? Or are they frozen in it because he forgot to pull them out before the winter?

Then I started thinking:"what does he eat? How does he make sure his food is fresh and doesn't run away" maybe he likes fairy ice-sickles? He must have snails in jars, for a quick snack while drawing. And he probably has some gnomes hanging around. I imagined a super fat rabbit in a very small cage, bee in fed greasy things. But maybe the rabbit looks so angry he doesn't dare to open the cage?

Name:  IMG_1029.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  170.0 KB

Thanks
    Where did he make his nest? Under a trunk? Underneath some rocks? Did he build some sort of igloo? Is there a goblin shaped tree? Did he just start digging near the road and make sure nobody would suspect him being there? I feel I'm getting a bit lost now. I wanted to make a top view of the area he lived in. That way I might figure out more easily what type of materials he would be using and what can be found in his lair. Instead I started colouring it and now I better take a lunch break. I wanted to get into details.

Name:  IMG_1030.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  209.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1031.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  185.9 KB

Thanks
    Top down idea. I'm thinking about it as if it was a little secret place you'd find in a game.

Name:  IMG_1034.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  145.7 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sutan san For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm going to rough out some of the props, I'm trying not to take it too far because I really start zooming in way too much and it's the whole environment that needs to be finished, although I would love to have some nicely rendered props also... I guess deadlines are the goal so first env, then props.

Name:  IMG_1048.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  217.0 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sutan san For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, so after a great weekend I'm finally back with some time to make this concept. I've done something that I know great artists do and I've had to learn by doing Improv theatre: take a decision and stick with it. Yes iterations are great but when there's a deadline you have to start working towards it.

I've decided to go for an frozen cave's color range to get the icy feeling. I'll rework the bed to an icebed and I'm going to stick with this layout. And I can live with it.

Name:  IMG_1069.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  226.4 KB

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_1078.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  94.9 KB

I'm pretty much lost, I have no clue as to how I would finish this piece and even less by tomorrow. I will do something but not feeling it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sutan san For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, I'm giving up, the deadline is today and I've not even come close to what I wanted to achieve. I've not been committed enough to work during the past two weeks and it's not fun to let myself down this way. I could keep working on it today but I've got practical things to do and I know I'm only going to get more frustrated. I do think that I've learned a lot doing this and I've made the right mistakes to advance:

post-mortem:

I started off very well, thinking about the story within the piece, I'll make sure to keep that up. I also did a great job thinking about the props that I wanted in the scene and giving those a reason.

Where I failed most is in not taking the time to understand what style I was getting into. I thought I was doing a study when I did the bed but I was just rendering. Instead of doing as many studies as possible within the given time I wasted precious hours on one unused item.

Doing an isometric scene was much harder than I expected because good composition is very hard, I ended up with a pretty boring square scene.

Not approaching a hand-painted style with enough respect also turned into frustration when time and progress where totally unbalanced. Facing the truth about not knowing what I was trying to do has been hard.

I should also have asked for much more and better feedback, I hoped for much more response on this website and I didn't ask around enough. Had I done that the result would have been much better.

The most positive things I get from this is that I now have a very clear goal for the following weeks: small props in a very defined style. When I'm able to achieve confidence in the style I might consider revisiting this challenge.

Name:  IMG_1096.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  135.6 KB

Thanks for the challenge. Next one will be better.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sutan san For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sutan san - Overall, this is really cool so far! First off I love the idea of the treasure chests overflowing with gold and I love the color of the ice, with its light blue and cerulean hues. There's just great creativity here, with the pot, the bed with the frame, and accessories, animal horns on the walls. This could be a stellar portfolio piece if you were to finish it up. It'd be cool if a goblin was sleeping in bed =) or if you did a night and day version of this, with candlelight for one and how it is now for daytime. Thanks for participating!!
    Join us for the EOW..

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Vulgar, thanks for the feedback! I will take time to finish it. I'm going on holiday for three weeks so I will noodle at it a bit during that time.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sutan san For This Useful Post: