Thanks

Kyanbu's Sketchbook and Practice work

Originally I wasn't going to post much of anything on here until I've improved enough. Mainly due to well I have no accurate way to calculate lighting effects outside of doing it the old way (using the outside local environment as a reference and whatever I can find laying around the house). Photos online via google and other major engines help but cameras today still are not accurate enough to capture light properly right now (though we're very close). And before you say blander. my rig can't run it properly for me to get accurate results due to having a decent enough Quad Core CPU (AMD Phenom II 2xx series) but no GPU. I need a new PSU with good rails and a new GPU (GTX 1050 min). My integrated graphics card is an nvidia 6150SE, which is good for only turning on, basic tasks, retro pc games, and not much else. And cannot support anything above DX9.0 or similar. So while the feedback I got did help out. It only helps for that pic only. When it comes to other works, I have to rely on whatever I have handy and try to simulate the correct color reaction and bounce for that scene while maintaining focus on the focal point based on my knowledge of light. Beyond some small improvement, not much changed regarding current works. Due to me not really getting much time to practice and the current rut I've been in lately caused by schedule hic ups and issues at home. Concept Art has a bad enough problem with too many folks coming here without a strong understanding for the basics pouring in from DA. I didn't want to add to that but getting more live feed back can help move things along better.

I've gained confident strokes. Took a while but it caught me off guard when I began doing it subconsciously. Anatomy has improved (thanks to watching and studying Proko's videos on youtube along with other similar channels). Along with a much better much stronger understanding of values and hue though I still have a ways more to go for full 100% accuracy. The biggest things I'm working on are basic shape and dynamic lighting. I've been studying lighting for about a few months now along with practicing. I under stand the basics but accurately getting the color reactions to main light sources and reflected light from the sky and near by objects, is half guess work for reason I've already stated. So most of the practice work here is going to be me doing basic shapes, gestures, and lighting practices. Along with just sketch here and there In the case of lighting mostly studying building up on references until I can afford the hardware upgrades to start learning and using blender and other rendering software for model referencing.

First up is some of the sketches done from December 2016 into February 2017. Some more works will be up tomorrow. Going to post daily practice work in between work on the main project.

Name:  Gaze apone Somnus 2017 SM.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  491.0 KB

Name:  scan0373.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  281.1 KB

Name:  scan0374.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  299.8 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Update:

Name:  scan0407.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  Basic Shapes training1 2017 SK.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  65.3 KB

Thanks
    Experimenting with planning values using a single layer for over paint. the image in question being a note book sketch I decided to color on a whim. Trying to Plan things out before actually going in and rendering this. Still not quite popping. I need to brighten the background some more. And darken Sarina a bit. I also must be careful not to create too many high contrast areas on the character. Same goes for the background bushes and Castle Somnus. I've learned to try and keep elements with the background/Midground/Foreground close within themselves and contrast from each other. I still have much more to learn with values and scene planning to make sure values don't blend and at the same time make sure the colors make sense for the lighting and time of day/night of the scene. Might shift my practice more towards just playing with values using simple shapes and gestures.

What do you guys think?

Name:  Sarina RD Portrait 2017 VaCp.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  110.5 KB
    Last edited by Kyanbu; May 10th, 2017 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks
    When it comes to character designs. A lot of research, writing, and hard work is required to do the job rightly. Sometimes that leads to the soul crushing process of redesigning everyone.

It's no secret that the entire industry is in what can be describe as a massive shift in how characters are drawn. It usually happens every decade and it just so happens that time is now. Ok technically it began in 2015, but we're now starting to see the fruits of it begin to bare. Pretty soon all sexual designs will be taboo for American made and western works in all contexts outside of pinups, and streetware. Erotic works are fine for now but honestly I can see us banning erotica one day. There's a lot of issue in that side of the media that's going to bring the whole thing down eventually.

So given this project is stuck in development hell as is. I need to make sure it'll be fine by the time it comes out in terms of character designs. This means I need to make sure that not a single character can be seen as problematic or to sexually designed. Especially If I end up doing the comic. That would be social suicide if things aren't all in place. Which means I need to redesign EVERYONE. At least their outfits mainly. Body types are (as of the current concept sketches I haven't uploaded yet) varied right down to small details and ready for the next step (model sheets). So it's really the outfits that could cause trouble. Mainly for a few reasons.

*Practicality: Capes, heals, long hair, long clothing, baggy clothing, lack of armor for certain job classes.

*Exposed Skin/Fur: chest and stomach, Cleavage of any kind for any reason, cleavage windows, Side boob, abs, back, legs and arms depending on job classes.

My cast breaks a lot of theses. And are mostly female making it much more noticeable. So regardless of how I feel about capes, coats, ect. They have to change. And as someone who's against Sexism entirely. It's for the better to do the right thing for character designs. Cleavage and sexual designs are very easily dated. And at the moment it's too risky to use such designs for anything, even pinups are pushing it. (DA has a bad rep partly because of this) I like them as much as the next guy, and being bi, yes that goes for sexy guys too (though they are rarely drawn and posted here). But sexuality is a very messy concept that is best to steer away from for now at least until I can get much more clearer answers and data on the next/current grey area. I've been staying up these past few weeks reviewing the issues of the past and how things have changed so far. I use to think my characters were fine based entirely on not being attacked yet and my effort to keep things from getting too silly even within pinups over the course of these last few years since the Penny Arcade incident in 2011. But it seems that may be due to me being a complete ghost. And that some of the places I'm on and the fans I have are a bit pervy (no offense). Or just outright don't care at all.

I might be able to keep a few things here and there based on new data and approval. But So far, I should play it safe and make some alternative designs to use that remove the problem designs.

It's a shame but out of respect, it must be done. By making a product I forfeit most of my creative freedom. It's the dark secret many artists often don't learn right away. So more then ever I must abide to current social trends. It's going to be awhile. And I need to find a lot of people to get there opinions of the current and new outfit designs. I'm hoping all of you here can be of great help on this issue. Designs will be uploaded here along side practice work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,088 Times in 719 Posts
    I have the slight feeling that you are living in your own bubble of made up social values and Tumblr ethics. And as always you are incredibly full of yourself. You make it look like you are an important figure in the art world with millions of fans and some sort of social responsibility.. but I'm afraid you are not and you don't. When writing long posts like this you run the risk of coming across as immature and out of touch with reality.
    We are living in a fairly liberal time, you can do whatever you want and sex sells. There will always be people who will write angry rants about how so and so is overly sexualized but guess what, they don't matter, they never mattered. They are unimportant because they are not the target audience and the people listening to them wouldn't have bought the product in the first place.
    How old are you? No offense, just curious.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Seriously, unless you're scoping reference images stay off of tumblr.
    The game industry isn't banning sexuality, it's balancing the armor/equipment option available given the context of a game. That balance is a work in progress.
    Less mercurial blog rants about an industry you're not even a part of yet, and more process drawings!
    If you want to draw sexy people, fine whatever, but knowing how to draw practical non-pinup subjects will broaden your ability to get hired by more clients/companies for more projects.

The problem with your #3 drawing isn't just values, you over-textured the background. All the little leaf details are competing for attention with your main subject. And there's no perspective between foreground and background, so everything is flat. Start off simpler and work up.
    No clue what those triangles at the top are supposed be.

Forget depth of field and focal points in compositions, you're not ready for that yet, back to the basics and do more anatomy studies. Croquis cafe has free resources for anatomy and studio drawing, be it photo gallery or speed drawing videos.
    Studies from this DA stock gallery have been floating around these boards for years, so that's another resource.
    Do more perspective exercises, use desk clutter and a single light source.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sorry about that, didn't intend to come off as arrogant, I just needed some advice on a few things. I got my answers later that night and forgot to delete the post.

I'm giving up. Thank you for the help and advice. And sorry for wasting your time.

I'm convinced that I just don't have the talent for this kind of thing. And after all these years I just can't do it anymore. I lack certain qualities that make a good artist and I hate being in people's way so I'm just going to admit defeat.

Right now I'm just trying to sort things out with my life.
    Last edited by Kyanbu; May 19th, 2017 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanbu View Post
    Sorry about that, didn't intend to come off as arrogant, I just needed some advice on a few things. I got my answers later that night and forgot to delete the post.

I'm giving up. Thank you for the help and advice. And sorry for wasting your time.

I'm convinced that I just don't have the talent for this kind of thing. And after all these years I just can't do it anymore. I lack certain qualities that make a good artist and I hate being in people's way so I'm just going to admit defeat.

Right now I'm just trying to sort things out with my life.

Firstly: Stop being such a diva. If you completely quit doing art you'll regret it once you've grown up.

Secondly: Talent is bullshit. Everyone can get decent by working hard and smart!

Thirdly: The blue whale is the largest animal known to have ever lived! Have you ever thought about that? I think it is crazy that at this moment in time we share our lives with the largest animal. Not the largest animal of our time, not the largest animal living in the ocean but the largest animal that has ever lived!
    Just look at that big boy:
    Name:  dont-give-up_you-fuck.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  57.7 KB

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Life gets complicated and if you need to prioritize stuff before your art, especially if this is more of a hobby than a career, then do so. Take a break. You're not in anyone's way.

What I think you have is a communication issue. One, MORE ART! The point of sketchbooks to map your own progress as a developing artist. It's okay if it's substandard, you have to start somewhere, but you have to start.
    Two, your giant post seems to be indicating some grand personal project; only we have no friggin clue what that would entail, because you haven't been posting art or provided previous context.

You got answers from who? We're the only ones to comment.
    Your posts feel likeyou're speaking to a wider audience who has been following along whatever progress, only that audience doesn't exist. At least on this site. You have a blog some place with regular readers who know what you're talking about, and you just copy/pasted that whole thing into here, didn't you?
    Be mindful of your communication. Not just here, but in life. Don't presume that your audience has all the information that you do.
    If you're speaking to multiple platforms adjust your statements for each of them. At least provide a summary of your goals.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your right, I need to do something, I need to start somewhere. But I can't take the classes right now. I need to get some finances fixed.

But it's going to be a while before I can. There's something wrong with me and I need to sort that issue out. Or at least figure out what's causing it. What I posted wasn't me, disregard it. Something happened I got very stressed and I just broke for awhile there. It's passing and I'm starting to feel more stable now.

Thanks
    Sounds like an anxiety issue.
    Don't know what your country/healthcare situation is, but if one is available hit up your doctor.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I second what InfernoKing said. Take care of your health and/or mental health first.

Here is some advice you might take once you've gotten better, health wise.
    When it comes to learning and getting to a decent level I suggest to be as open to critique and feedback as possible and not only rely on your own judgement and solutions.
    Also art classes might be beneficial but they are not necessary to get good, so don't worry too much about that. As I said before, you can get really good by studying, learning, practicing and showing your progress to other people, if you are smart about it. Showing your art to amateurs and getting only praise won't get you anywhere. I don't want to beat down on sites like Furaffinity but I'm gonna do it anyways - they are garbage if you want to progress and learn, they are just giant circlejerks. Another thing to keep in mind is that you and your art is almost always informed by the things you consume. If all you take inspiration from are crudely drawn cartoon furries you'll have a hard time improving your own work. Having high standards and a good eye for technical execution will most likely reflect in your own art.

What also helps tremendously is having a clear goal in mind and figuring out what skills you need to get to that goal and what it takes to acquire those skills. From what I could gather by browsing your profiles you seem to like drawing furry and fantasy figures - nothing wrong with that. To get this to a really good level you need the same skills as you would need for drawing regular human figures. One thing that it absolutely necessary for drawing decent figures is learning basic perspective and drawing simple objects in 3D space. And not only learning it and calling it a day but internalizing it and constructing your figures using abstractions of those objects. Once you've gotten into the habit of doing that your figures will get more lively and have weight to them.

If you are serious about improving get the following books:
    How to draw, by Scott Robertson
    Figure drawing; design and Invention, by Michael Hampton
    Color and light, by James Gurney

I hope you'll decide to give getting good and learning properly a shot.
    It is always inspiring for other people to see artists improve their craft.

HA! LOOK AT THAT WALL OF TEXT!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I completely forgot to post info about the project. It's on the back burner at the moment until after I've improved my abilities some more among "other issues". With only the outline and story being worked on. But It's something I should have posted in the first post. To be honest. As much as I love drawing and improving (when I'm not swimming in circles) as well as writing and story planning. I do miss working on level concepts. Can't do much until I improve my art more.

Project Castle of Dreams (now called D-Resonate: Sonata of the Phantasm) is a Indie Game project I started conceptualizing and working on back in 2007 shortly after I graduated from High School and was starting College (horrible mistake in hind sight but I learned a lot from the experience). It went through many name choices and nearly became a web comic/novel instead until 2012 when I got the chance to start building it.

Very Brief History.
    While the project began in 2007 conceptually it didn't go into early development (pre alpha) until 2012. Partly due to emergencies at home, my stay at college being cut short due to grades as a result of said emergencies. And me growing out of my brief diva phase (overly concerned about the project becoming too realistic) and learning how to draw a bit more properly though as you know, I didn't practice the basics enough. I did a lot of skipping around with lessons. With me being told about Andrew Loomis's books around 2011. I was also told about this forum back in 2012 from another user on a different forum I've been on for years but didn't join at the time. I felt I wasn't ready nor skilled enough to start learning here. Development slowed down around 2014 due to me running into road blocks in art. The Sprite Assets I created were ok(ish) but not good enough and things felt off. So I returned to studying art again to correct this, Eventually leading to me coming here in 2016 to help improve. The other half of the road block was a porting issue with Stencyl 2.0 to 3.0 around 2015 that nearly destroyed the pre alpha build. And me deciding to migrate to the Unity Engine instead out of concern of that happening again. And to have access to better tools.

While I'm the lead the developer and director for the project as well as the main one working on it. I'm technically not the only one working on it. There are 5 of us in total. Entirely made of friends from high school I've known for years, and relatives that agreed to help with Music, Programming, and art. That ended up majoring in those respective fields. I'm mainly handling level design, story, Programming, and concept design. For the time being it's just me due to pulling things back a bit with the project in order to resume my studies in art mainly as that's my strength and most visible error next to writing which I've also been studying these past few years. As a bulk of my work is needed before they can begin working on the other parts during their free time.

Target Platform: PC/MAC/Linux

Gameplay:
    A lot of things changed since 2007 in terms of story and gameplay. But in 2012 it became more focused after I found an engine to use (Stencyl) and a direction I was confident could be done with a small team or alone at worst after years of research into the development history of different studios and indie devs. It's A 2D Hybrid Metroidvania Platformer powered by Unity2D. While the game is seemingly a open metroidvania. It's structured as a hybrid between metroidvania style exploration and semi-linear platforming. While there is a hub map, players are able to explore and play through most of the areas in the game in any order desired. Each with branching pathways making each play through unique. As you have more then one way to reach the objective. The planned release window was 2016/2017. Though delays occur'd due to set backs already mentioned. The project in it's entirety is a very small game and can be built more or less fine on my own. The issue is making sure it's well polished which is part of what pushed it back a lot while I studied on my own. The game must be able to stand on it own and give a good first impression. Poor Sprite work could bring the whole thing down regardless of how good or bad the gameplay is. There are more deeper mechanics centered around the "Resonance System" a field of energy the character can emit that enables them to interact with the areas and obstacles in the game. But this mechanic is still being conceptualized and I haven't had much time to experiment with it in the new engine among other things.

Story:
    "Strange disappearances have occurred throughout The Sleeping Islands. From the deep and vast Waking Forest, to the bright and vivid Lucid City. From their homes, off the streets, out of stores, and even from their cars, people, Humans, Demons, and Ani-Humans alike, have been vanishing one by one. And sightings of fabled and once thought peaceful spirits known as Phantasms have been reported all across the isles in an increasing number. Believing there might be a connection between the two. Many Guilds from all over the isles have traveled to the Black Towers. A mystical, structure rumored to be a door way to the legendary castle of dreams Castle Somnus. One legend claims it to be a paradise where the boundary between dream and reality no longer exists. While another claims it to be a nightmarish place that shallows up anyone foolish enough to venture within. On one cold night varies guilds each ventured into to the Black Towers. One by one, hoping to find the entrance to this fabled Castle of Dreams, and prepared to face the Phantasms.

It's been one week since the guilds set out to reach the Castle. Worried about the safety of his son. A wealthy middle-aged man drives to Phantom Mansion located in deeper parts of the Waking Forest, a large forest area near Black Towers. Home of Silvia Phantom, a well-known Caster and leader of Lumina Guild. However upon arriving, he soon finds out that she is away on an errand regarding the Castle. And the only members of lumina guild available, are her daughters Sarina and Xaniras Phantom. Itching for a chance for fame and fortune, Sarina takes up the job despite both her sister's and her butler Annette's protest. And ensures her now desperate employer that, his child will be back by sunrise. Without a moment's hesitation Sarina dashes into the night. Unprepared to face the challenges that await her."

Theme:
    "The story is centered around regret and redemption. Sarina's connections to the current Incident and her attempts to complete her job and clear her dark reputation for trouble."
    Last edited by Kyanbu; May 23rd, 2017 at 03:26 AM.

Thanks
    Gonna start uploading practice work again tomorrow it's just going to be the basics for a while. I just notices Tiggeraz asked about my age. I'm 27 going on 28 in about a few days. It won't be every day but I will be able to post something up here once a week. Not that I haven't been drawing but very little of it is actual practice work. Mostly just month old stuff I didn't finish.

Thumbnail Gesture Practice.
    Name:  Summer Vlair 2017 S.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  106.6 KB
    Last edited by Kyanbu; June 21st, 2017 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks
    Robo Bean Practice 1 (Digital)

Name:  Robo Bean Gest1 2017 bw.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  56.1 KB

Thumbnail Gesture 2 (Traditional)
    Name:  Thumbnail Gesture PU SK.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  313.0 KB