If you could redesign one old game

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow If you could redesign one old game

what would it be? and why?
    Must be pre Playstation.
    pick only one.
    Discuss.

Drew

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i would remake FFVII.
    with just a graphics make over and new battle system.
    that would be cool.

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FF7 had a great battle system. Materia was practically limitless fun. I miss that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm a hater

screw squaresoft.

on that note, I'd remake Secret of Mana. I'd make the battle system a little better, redo the story along the same premises, and give it a graphical overhaul (for the time, nice graphics). The games got good music as is, so I'd just improve the technology. I'd make the characters more customizable like Final Fantasy Tactics. In fact, while I'm talking about it...If you combine the music, mood, co-op, and battle system of Secret of Mana with the story, customization, and graphical style of Final Fantasy Tactics.... Best RPG ever.

on that note, screw squaresoft again.

and disney

and wal-mart.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    correct me if I'm wrong but FF7 isn't pre playstation is it? crikey

it's a toss up for me between double dragon and spy vs. spy.....I think I'd go with Spy vs. Spy though.

-Rob

My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NoUseFrAName
    correct me if I'm wrong but FF7 isn't pre playstation is it? crikey

it's a toss up for me between double dragon and spy vs. spy.....I think I'd go with Spy vs. Spy though.

-Rob
    double dragon

good choice, it needs to be done up like the punisher arcade game or like the mini side scroll fighter that came w/ was it...tekken 2?

Drew

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final Fantasy VI

The game had a really good story and character development, while the simplicity of the 16-bit graphics would allow for a lot of personal interpretation when recreating the characters(unless you want to include Amano Yoshitaka's renditions, which are still somewhat stylized.)

"The proper rewards are not simply tacked on to the activity for which they are given, but are the activity itself in consummation." -C.S. Lewis
    "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." -Proverbs 12:1

Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section!
    -Cyrus' Sketchbook-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    battle toads would be nice.

I love old side scroll fighters. I miss them so.

my choice is splatterhouse

great characters and monsters, weapon choices even for backj in the day were good. its needs redone. nice creepy vibe, way before RE.

Drew

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    smash tv

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sword of Vermillion

Remember playin this on sega genesis back in the day...and it was awesome.

Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpack42
    screw squaresoft.

screw squaresoft again.

and disney

and wal-mart.

/fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want a new double dragon damn it!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i hate squaresoft now...you know final fantasy X-2...that game is complete shit! i mean WTF!
    ever since final fantasy 8 the've been making shit. except FF9....that one was good. but the rest of them sucked. i also can't believe the are going to try and make another movie of final fantasy. i think it is a big mistake. they should just stick to the games.

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    worst is, they are slaughtering their ff vii brand with cellphone games and an upcoming action-rpg based upon the ff vii: advent children-movie.
    they got almost as annoying as electronic arts.

If I was to redesign an old game it would be either R-Type or Yo!Joe!

R-Type is almost perfect, but I'd enhance the weapon system, a little more like hellfire maybe. And it should be a bit easier

Yo!Joe! is awesome, could need some more weapons and levels. maybe a complex combo-system similar to guardian heroes or "her knights: all for princess"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say I still have some faith in Advent children but it is true, I have to say that FF7 was just pure perfection then (and I think I can speak for all of us) we go and pick up the next few titles with only three letters ringing to mind after playing them.

WTF!!??!!

After playing FF8 I had that gut feeling things were about to go down hill and they have in a major way.

FF Tactics. WTF
    FF10 WTF!
    FF Teh Movei WTF!!
    FF X2 WWTTFF!!

I am really really really really hoping they find some way some how to capture the aura that is FF7, the trailers look promising, then again so did Starwars.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does it have to be a console game?
    I'd definitely go with Heretic.
    Doom got a makeover, why not Heretic dammit?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan
    yeah i hate squaresoft now...you know final fantasy X-2...that game is complete shit! i mean WTF!
    ever since final fantasy 8 the've been making shit. except FF9....that one was good. but the rest of them sucked. i also can't believe the are going to try and make another movie of final fantasy. i think it is a big mistake. they should just stick to the games.

er... ff8 was really good man, story-line wise. i don't know what you're talkin about but ff9 blows dogs for quarters man. and the new final fantasy movie isn't going to be released in theatre in the us, it's onlu for the ff7 fans like myself, that story rocked and it needs to be concluded

yea i admit though that ffx-2 was rather boring, but awesome cg

but as for games i think i'd remake shadowrun rpg on snes, it was too fun, but the graphics acked and the gameplay was rather crappy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moraff's Revenge... I wanna see what a 23rd level vampire getting ripped apart by a holy hand grenade really looks like... and that damn flea-bag inn always givin you all sorts of disease, that was classic!

Zaxxon would be cool too all updated for 3d vid cards of course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I lost faith in Square's ability to make Final Fantasys honestly after 6, but Kingdom Hearts is definitly worth Square's time.

I'd redo the Goonies game for the NES. That and Illusion of Gaia for the Snes. It had a great story, of course with the typical goofiness at parts but otherwise a good plot, and the game play was really good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Herzog Zwei for Sega Genesis.

The grandaddy of RTS games. I love this game. Transforming from a Mech to a fighter jet, and manipulating tons of units to take over your enemies. This game is still fun! It'd be great on x-box live, upgrade to 4 players from the old 2 player split screen, and all new graphics of course.

"He turned and looked. A giant yellow duck was trying to force itself into the diner."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I couldn't disagree more. FFX-2 is the best Final Fantasy game Square has made in years. FF7 was cool at the time, but the story was a mess and oh god is the game dated now. FF8 was a real low point for Square, whose only saving grace was great graphics. FF9 was forgettable. FFX finally marked Square getting their groove back. It was flawed, but with the few changes to the battle system they'd finally made their games fun to play again. FFX-2 took this to a whole new level. They tightened the hell out of the combat and made playing the game something more than just a distraction in between cutscenes. The story was silly, but really, so was every Playstation Final Fantasy's. At least this one was trying to be silly.

But I digress. I suppose if your main reason for playing Final Fantasy is for the story (if so, you could do much better), then you might not like FFX-2 as much (even though the story really is told far better than most of the previous ones, it's just not nearly as serious).

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Presence
    FF Tactics. WTF

I thought this was a GREAT game. cool story+fun gameplay+unlimited customization+awesome 2D graphics = a winner in my book.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I like this game I would do Mario 64 and just add more detailed and larger areas. Other games I would choose...Tecmo Super Bowl, Paper boy(just make it like gta), Mike Tyson punch out just keep it the same and add a crazy tattoo to Tyson's face and that he can bite your ears off.

joemadfan.com I run this site

nathensprings.net coming soon!

My Sketchbook updated 3/27/06

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would say the original Metroid but since Zero Mission is pretty much a remake of that, I'd redesign 'Metroid 2: The Return of Samus' for the old b&w gameboy. I never really liked the different advanced metroid stages. They just seemed too overworked for their own good. See what I mean?

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/metroid-only/gal-metroid.html

I'd go a simpler and sleaker route. I'd also refrain from giving them recognizable mouths, eyes and limbs. Maybe biolumonous bodies and hundreds of tenticles with lightning arcing between them would be cool.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If I restrict my list to NES games, the list would be:

Blaster Master. Kid Icarus. Metroid. Section Z. Megaman. Balloon Fight. Zelda. And others. I've already done tons of work based on those games but never got around to do something with it.

Let's not forget Fester's Quest. It had potential but sort of never took off. I just played through the game and coincidentally there was an Addams movie on the tellie to provide inspiration. I just filled my first sheet of Fester's Quest thumbnails. I'm currently doing Star Control stuff though, and ..sigh, work, so maybe it'll be awhile before I have anything presentable.

I think Fester would be an excellent and unique videogame character. It's pretty rare with a bald, pale, fat, evil, retarded hero character. He'd kick ass in DoomIII too since he can keep a lightbulb in his mouth...

It's interesting how they (sunsoft) probably worked on Blaster Master at the same time and tossed designs between the games.

-"My name is FESTER, it means to ROT!"

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    If I restrict my list to NES games, the list would be:

Blaster Master. Kid Icarus. Metroid. Section Z. Megaman. Balloon Fight. Zelda. And others. I've already done tons of work based on those games but never got around to do something with it.

Let's not forget Fester's Quest. It had potential but sort of never took off. I just played through the game and coincidentally there was an Addams movie on the tellie to provide inspiration. I just filled my first sheet of Fester's Quest thumbnails. I'm currently doing Star Control stuff though, and ..sigh, work, so maybe it'll be awhile before I have anything presentable.

I think Fester would be an excellent and unique videogame character. It's pretty rare with a bald, pale, fat, evil, retarded hero character. He'd kick ass in DoomIII too since he can keep a lightbulb in his mouth...

It's interesting how they (sunsoft) probably worked on Blaster Master at the same time and tossed designs between the games.

-"My name is FESTER, it means to ROT!"
    how could we forget blaster master and festers quest. good choices.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jetpack42:
    screw squaresoft.

screw squaresoft again.

and disney

and wal-mart.
    HAHAAAA! Yes! Square is dead to me now! They only care about selling their graphics and music now, and using the same character and game formula's. Good story and characters, and sometimes even gamplay, has gone completely out the window. Although they did make a come back with FFX, but the story towards the end was incomplete, which was weak. BTW, that Secret Of Mana remake would be badass, I've waited for a loooong time to see another great SOM game come out, but ofcourse, nothings happened, because square sucks.

okevin: I have to disagree with you on FFX2. A final fantasy game is nothing without good story. That's exactly why I hated FF8. All graphics, and no purpose. FFX2 was like watching a bad movie with cute chicks and special effects to keep your interest. The only thing I liked about FFX2, was Rikku, top ten hottest game chick.

Presence:
    I want a new double dragon damn it!!!
    Damn right! The last one I played was Double Dragon 4! They could do some hardcore stuff with that game with the tech today. Where is it!?

Yes, Blaster Master, that would be a great remake. Or Contra, all the new takes on it have been serious garbage. I'd take the first Contra, combine it with Contra 3 from Snes, and multiply it, give it 15 or so levels, bring in two or three more characters, like two chicks and a hardcore fighter with more specialized weapons, a graphics overhaul along with a more detailed battle system. And make it more cinematic as you play with cool music that has great melodies as the first contra but pumped up to to a combination of Heavy Metal, Orchestra (violins, etc), "good" techno, great drum beats, etc. The game would make you want to be in it for real.

Most of you already stated some games I'd redesign.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    contra would make an intense first person shooter.

if they could produce it w/ out cheese.

I would like to see a really deep GIJOE first person shooter. that would be sick.

Drew

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yoell: Yeah that could be cool. Especially a GI-Joe version as first person.

I little off topic since we're talking about older games, but I always wanted to take the best of the megaman series, and create the ultimate megaman game in "good" 3D (not the junk they've been making were the 3d doesn't even look like a megaman game really), out with the crap stories they've been making with the latest MMX's and replace that with a great, well written story, somewhat cell shaded graphics with a energetic anime style of characters, fluent animation, "GOOD COOL" voices for the enemies, more dynamic battle engine, make more cinematic overall, and make megaman a badass kid. Change the game set up a bit by keeping traits of the old set up, and add to it so that the game is more than just fighting the 8 or so bosses, add protoman back, along with roll, and a few others, so much can be done with this. But like Sqaure, even Capcom looses there edge in a few areas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.