Thanks
    thanks buddy

tone study no. 50 something....

Name:  tone practice 06-06-17.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  81.0 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    WOWW..... i forgot to post some of these days ._.
    been kinda busy with work and commissions and whatnot.... here they are!
    Name:  practicing spheres2.png
Views: 533
Size:  79.3 KBName:  sketch 07-06-17lr.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  45.1 KBName:  tone practice 07-06-17lr.png
Views: 536
Size:  463.6 KBName:  tone practice 09-06-17lr.png
Views: 535
Size:  180.7 KBName:  practicing spheres.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  49.7 KBName:  skull study.png
Views: 533
Size:  295.8 KBName:  tone practice 07-06-17(2)lr.png
Views: 541
Size:  310.7 KBName:  tone practice 08-06-17(2).jpg
Views: 534
Size:  44.0 KB

Thanks
    doing a REALLY HARD Exercise xD
    im not too happy with the result but it was helpful
    Name:  tone practice 09-06-17(2)lr.png
Views: 518
Size:  210.6 KB

Thanks
    ok so, you probably wouldnt expect me to do this, but here we go.... yesterday, talkin to friends, we found THIS 2014 drawing of mine:

Name:  sigh.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  210.4 KB

and as a joke, i just redrew her.... and here is my attempt:

Name:  Rococo.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  83.9 KB

and now her name's rococo, and she's gonna be my art mascot for some reason.........

yesterday was weird....

Thanks
    another attempt

Name:  tone practice 10-06-17.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  38.4 KB

Thanks
    Name:  tone practice 11-06-17.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  53.0 KB

and yet another light study

Thanks
    studying van dyke with some good ol' blob painting:
    Name:  tone practice 12-06-17.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  35.8 KB

Thanks
    Hello! Thanks for checking out my sketchbook. ^-^

Really impressive gesture work and lovely portrait studies! I really enjoy how you render your pieces!
    Keep focusing on your values and don't be afraid to use darker tones. Try squinting your eyes, it's a way to simplify the values of a piece and making sure that your work isn't lacking contrast.

Thanks
    Name:  tone practice 13-06-17 2.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  39.2 KB

applying all those studies to a painting from imagination..... im quitel iking it o3o

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiedraws View Post
    Hello! Thanks for checking out my sketchbook. ^-^

Really impressive gesture work and lovely portrait studies! I really enjoy how you render your pieces!
    Keep focusing on your values and don't be afraid to use darker tones. Try squinting your eyes, it's a way to simplify the values of a piece and making sure that your work isn't lacking contrast.
    thanks bud! yeah i do, sculpting is hard when yu try to keep high contrast, im switching to a "blocking in" method, and hoping i can get a better grasp for it xD

Thanks
    doing a little personal piece, havent done one in a while, here's a sneak peak
    Attached Images Attached Images  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to z4m97 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    little update.... thinking of tha pauldron as a mirror is actually quite helpful OuO
    Name:  p1.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  62.0 KB

Thanks
    doing a head study from davinci sketch, and imagining the painted version....

Name:  tone practice 14-06-17.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  40.1 KB

Thanks
    Name:  p1.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  45.4 KB

a lil bit more progress on the personal piece

Thanks
    nice updates!i think i ve said it before but i feel i can relate to your stuff for some reason. maybe we like the same artists and think in a similar way, even though you re more advanced. keep up!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparekiss View Post
    nice updates!i think i ve said it before but i feel i can relate to your stuff for some reason. maybe we like the same artists and think in a similar way, even though you re more advanced. keep up!
    thanks! ive been following your stuff too
    i think it's the we're both using very similar methods for practicing, and we like very similar styles xD
    i wouldn't really say im more advanced, in facti feel like im lacking a lot in terms of figure drawing ._.
    your latest stuff is just amazing, charcoal is something im nowhere near to be confident with xD

Thanks
    i wish i couldve done more, but today was crazy D:
    totally lost the likeness to the sketch, idealized the proportions and its a general MEH

Name:  tone practice 16-06-17lr.png
Views: 485
Size:  335.4 KB

Thanks
    oh man how nice to see how much you've improved in the past few weeks!! even moved on to colour, real nice progress. I was mesmerized for a while staring at the anime girl sitting at the table on the other page drawn in vilppu style even though it kind of feels anime but kinda not because vilppu dominates it, my mind was so confused haha what are the plans after you finish all these cool rendered faces?
    ------
    my sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...i-s-Sketchbook

"Second place is the first place among the last ones, and that's not my target."- Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Thanks
    I haven't gone through this whole thread, but you have an awesome sense of form!! I have to see about reading some Vilppu. I also really like your pen strokes. I don't know if you answered this already (if you have ignore), but what size paper do you draw on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Okapi View Post
    oh man how nice to see how much you've improved in the past few weeks!! even moved on to colour, real nice progress. I was mesmerized for a while staring at the anime girl sitting at the table on the other page drawn in vilppu style even though it kind of feels anime but kinda not because vilppu dominates it, my mind was so confused haha what are the plans after you finish all these cool rendered faces?

haha, thanks bud. its weird cause i didnt really wanted to draw anime things, but i guess it just pours out of me xD
    after all these (which, there's still 1 month left of it) i will start moving onto more finished pieces, probably going back to figure drawing and refining that... i want to improve my general work so i guess perspective and landscape painting would be good as well

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qothw View Post
    I haven't gone through this whole thread, but you have an awesome sense of form!! I have to see about reading some Vilppu. I also really like your pen strokes. I don't know if you answered this already (if you have ignore), but what size paper do you draw on?
    hey there buddy! thanks, yeah, invest some time in vilppu, i highly recommend it

as for the paper, i dont usually upload my traditional sketchings, most of this sketchbook is digital; i do, however draw A LOT in paper and everytime it's normal copypaper xD
    i'd love to have a bigger paper, and some with better textures, but i dont think i really want to spend those in practicing xD

so..... in resume: normal printer copypaper OuO

24. The Following User Says Thank You to z4m97 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  construct 3 lr.png
Views: 423
Size:  249.9 KBName:  construct lr.png
Views: 423
Size:  336.4 KBName:  construct 2 lr.png
Views: 419
Size:  312.0 KB

doing some master studies for light and head construction....

Thanks
    Name:  construct 4.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  50.0 KBName:  construct 5.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  60.5 KB

the last ones for the day, studies of some velazquez' paintings

Thanks
    Name:  a bad day lr}.png
Views: 390
Size:  441.5 KB

doing a little doodle cause i really didnt have much time in the day....

i did do one study and it was really informative.... but it looks less than impressive xD
    Name:  light 1.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  26.8 KB

Thanks
    Name:  progress 3.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  45.4 KB

1st day of daily studies vs 30 days later vs 30 days later (today)

here's the original

Name:  tone practice 23-06-17.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  46.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

29. The Following User Says Thank You to z4m97 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    little sketchy sketch for relax...
    Name:  relax sketch.png
Views: 365
Size:  431.9 KB

31. The Following User Says Thank You to z4m97 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  tone practice 24-06-17.png
Views: 352
Size:  325.8 KB

tone study for the day, havent posted these in a while, but i still do them daily

Thanks
    i was wondering what are you thinking about while doing these face studies. they seem cool and i want to do them too but i dont know what to focus on or how to approach them to get value out of them. or if i require some other knowledge before i can try it out. are you trying to get your mind around form and how subtle plane changes are described by light reacting to a construction? are you trying to recognise shapes and tone and trasnfer them accurately? studying edges? going for likeness? studying face anatomy? all at once? im guessing tone is your main focus but im not sure how to approach this. should i try to keep a clear direction of light in my mind and imagine each plane's angle to the light to calculate tone? or have a more vague light idea and experiment with tone to see how it makes form turn and get used to making tone roughly make sense?

your improvement is fantastic by the way and im loving your mascot

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparekiss View Post
    i was wondering what are you thinking about while doing these face studies. they seem cool and i want to do them too but i dont know what to focus on or how to approach them to get value out of them. or if i require some other knowledge before i can try it out. are you trying to get your mind around form and how subtle plane changes are described by light reacting to a construction? are you trying to recognise shapes and tone and trasnfer them accurately? studying edges? going for likeness? studying face anatomy? all at once? im guessing tone is your main focus but im not sure how to approach this. should i try to keep a clear direction of light in my mind and imagine each plane's angle to the light to calculate tone? or have a more vague light idea and experiment with tone to see how it makes form turn and get used to making tone roughly make sense?

your improvement is fantastic by the way and im loving your mascot
    ok so, first of all thanks! it means a lot coming from you, cause im a total fan of your stuff now o3o

well to answer your question, the first priority of all of these is to capture form, and since i want to use these for my own personal pieces and work (which i do mainly from imagination, i try and use the same methods i would use in a personal piece.
    So first of all i start with a line sketch, which is usually focused in what i like to call the "universal planes" of the face, which are those planes that are always noticeable in all faces, regardless of physique... so it looks somewhat like this:

Name:  heads.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  93.3 KB

the sketch is done with very little effort to capture a perfect likeness, since i know i can do it and that's not the goal of the study.

then i study my reference to know where the lightsource is coming from, and paint my sketch without looking at the reference, to indicate the main lights and shadows. then i look again at my reference and correct, i do the same for transition tones, true tones, highlights and dark shadows, once that's done there should be a clear read of the form, even if it looks like a low poly model, and then t's just a matter of studying brushwork and the best ways to represent those forms.

so, i'd say that for you to get the most out of it, you should approach it with an intent, a clear subject that you want to improve on. for me, portraits have always been a problem; and rendering is even a bigger problem... so i study faces and render them.
    so if you want to do these, you could do spaceships, or architecture, or composition studies.... the whole point is to look at what you really lack on, and think about what part of that subject is the hardest for you. and just keep asking and asking until you get to the root of it, and start chipping at it bit by bit

35. The Following User Says Thank You to z4m97 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your "universal planes" doodle, what's that methodology based on? Looks a mix of Asaro and ... something else?

Interesting to see your tone study progress. I just barely started learning to paint too. So much new information, so much stuff to try to pay attention to as you're painting. Seems like such a delicate balancing act.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast