Thanked 2,082 Times in 498 Posts

C.O.W. #378-Translucent Tree Hopper-WIPS Thread

Name:  COW 300 Rules banner.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  381.0 KB

Round #378 Translucent Tree Hopper

Topic:
    #378 Translucent Tree Hopper

This week's awesome topic comes to us courtesy of the C.O.W.'s new head honcho, Bobby Rebholz! Bobby is a long standing member of the creature making community, an amazing illustrator and concept artist, and a regular participant. I couldn't think of a better choice to bring us some famtastic ideas and help bring this forum back to life. I know I'll be participating a lot more with him in charge. So, with that please help welcome Bobby. As for the topic, should be pretty self explanatory. Here's a great opportunity to delve not only into some cool creature design, but subsurface work as well. Not only should you show the what the outside of this critter looks like, but the inside will be at least 50% visible as well. So hop to it! Bad pun. Looking forward to seeing what you guys and Bobby come up with!

Deadline:
    Monday Monday April 17th, 2017.

Finals go here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...94#post4023594
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'll get it started.

In answer to some of Lege's questions from the last round, sometimes I start like this, because there's a lot of familiar anatomy involved, e.g. frogs, bugs such as grasshoppers and crickets. I pretty much have a body shape and definitely have a leg model in mind. In reality, I'll probably have spent more time on this sketch phase than the final. A lot of it is just finding big simple shapes, then adding details and refining lines (erasing and redrawing) one at a time to avoid too much symmetry in overall shapes such as legs and arms. Keeping it loose until I find what I like and what works at the same time. With the last round, I began more with silhouettes, I still had a scene in mind, but for the design of the creature, I had to see what developed. Oh, and this time i decided to use Painter, just because you asked. even though we all know the software doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Anyway... Maybe you guys can help me pick one this time.
    Name:  Tree-Hopper-Sketches.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  319.4 KB
    Check it out

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Scorge, I also really like the top left!

As for mine, I'm leaning towards #3
    Attached Images Attached Images  

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Rebholz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for keeping this going.

scorge:
    Middle right is really cool, the upright stance almost makes it humanoid. It feels like it has the most memorable silhouette out of those 3. Curious about how its posture changes while jumping/preparing to jump.

Bobby Rebholz: The curved shape on #2 really makes it stand out from the rest. Very streamlined shape that gives it a distinct sense of forward movement, makes it easy to visualize it climbing along a branch haha. I like the idea of having just the torso translucent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Loomis
    You may question why we do not at once proceed to the finished, smooth, round form. The answer is that in a drawing or painting, something of the individual procedure and structural quality should remain... It is the big form that does the job--not the little and exact.
    Homepage | Dribbble | Art Blog

Fire With Fire (Steam) [Lead Artist]
    Junk ET (Steam 2017) [Lead Artist]

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Scorge: I agree with noun
    @ Bobby: I somehow like number 5 because it looks so strangely alienesque^^ Name:  _DSC2303.JPG
Views: 826
Size:  183.6 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to YaschaZelunar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yikes, by the time I read you guy's posts I had already begun on the first one. Thanks for the advice though, I'll probably render that one out for fun!
    Name:  Translucent-Tree-Hopper-3.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  157.6 KB
    Check it out

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just realized we have a similar head for our creatures. I'll have to change it up!
    Last edited by Bobby Rebholz; April 13th, 2017 at 06:21 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby Rebholz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello! My name is Summer I am brand new to concept org and COW. I joined because bobby promoted it on Instagram and said the population was dwindling I figured I would check it out, I am always looking for new artist friends. I am submitting a wip this week because I am currently traveling for business and only have a pen and my phone to draw with! hopefully I can join the next one for the finals. Anyway here is my sketch of a carnivorous leaf hopper that feeds mainly on caterpillars. It clamps them with It's vertical mandibles and rips Its victims with the horizontal ones to allow his small mouth parts to suck out the juices! the lower half of this insect is transparent while the top bits form a leaf like silhouette with multiple shades of green. .Name:  LeafHopper.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  170.7 KB

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SummerTheBummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    YaschaZelunar: The big hindlegs are a nice touch. I might try to simplify the spines on the body and head. Focusing them in either one or two main directions would help make the overall silhouette more distinct instead of having them just sorta point in all directions evenly. Notice how a grasshopper's body is somewhat streamlined in creating a single sweeping forward curve, while the legs serve as a sort of counterbalance -- it has a kind of rhythm to it.

scorge: Well, it turned out awesome regardless

BobbyRebholz: Looks good, can't see anything it's missing!

SummerTheBummer: Vertical and horizontal mandibles, really love how they each serve their own purpose. The green "leaf" stripe is a really smart addition too. I can kind of imagine it leaping upward and then landing mandible first onto some poor target below.

Thinking of a living hookshot that uses a stretchy limb to latch onto far away branches and hop across the canopy.
    You may question why we do not at once proceed to the finished, smooth, round form. The answer is that in a drawing or painting, something of the individual procedure and structural quality should remain... It is the big form that does the job--not the little and exact.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Scorge: Thanks for getting back and that piece is awesome. You're truly the Mad Hatter of creature design.

@BobbyRebholz: Welcome man, and amazing stuff from your corner as well. I really like #2.

This is what I was able to throw together late night. I am probably going to do another if I have the time. Either way, my idea is always try to put work in and make a contribution. Got put in that mileage to get better that's for sure.
    Name:  COW378_041317_C1_web.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  147.0 KB

Thanks

Thanks
    Hey! - how it going? Some really cool design work going on in here - It's great to see more participation; Thanks to Dave and Bobby for keeping things running!

I've been trying to make a start on something myself. Most of my thoughts have been along the lines of lizards or insects, but I wanted to try and avoid using legs for propulsion.

I did some loose silhouette-scribbles to explore ideas, and tried to express one I'd had around some kind of mollusk adaptation. I tried rendering it up to see if it would work and feel quite happy with it as a start point:

Name:  HopperSketch.jpeg
Views: 683
Size:  91.8 KB

I don't think the propulsion would work with the foot/feet coiled like that, but maybe if it was more like a coiled snake? I was also thinking it could split and spread it's shell (a bit like a beetle) - to help steer itself when it jumps. I hope I can figure something out - it should be a fun one to render!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's how it's shaping up!

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Rebholz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lege1: Solid design, the hairy legs make it stand out as being more than just 'alternate grasshopper'. Only thing is the head-on angle makes it hard to get a good read on the overall 'topography' of the creature, if that makes sense? I can sort of tell that the head comes to a point and that the body seems to have a similar shape, but a different viewing angle might give us a silhouette that makes it easier to tell how it's shaped -- sort of like viewing a pistol from the side as opposed to staring straight into the barrel (which would make its silhouette mostly just a circle). Maybe a rough side view as an additional sketch would help.

Mythmaker: A coil shape can definitely work, as I was reading your description I immediately thought of a spring or a Slinky (do they still make those?). The main thing is just coiling it in a way that resembles those objects, so when we see it we immediately get how it functions. I like the addition of a shell that also resembles a spiral to match.

Flightless birds whose main mode of movement is a single leg. Maybe instead of feathers, they have a leaf-like covering for camouflage?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast