Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

C.H.O.W 425 Mystic Gunslinger

C.H.O.W 425 Mystic Gunslinger

Character of the Week #425

Mystic Gunslinger
    Deadline - Sunday, April 23rd 10PM GMT

The winner of this C.H.O.W round will have their work featured on the C.H.O.W banner for the next five rounds.

For this two week C.H.O.W we would like you to create a character sheet.

Mining for gold in the frontiers of the Wild West was always fraught with danger, but now prospectors have unearthed an even greater threat. Driven by greed, digging deeper and deeper in the quest for gold a careless pickaxe blow has broken the enchanted seals to a dark and ancient prison that some think is older than humanity itself. Many strange and horrific creatures poured out the opening killing hundreds and causing chaos throughout the West. The monstrosities seem immune to regular bullets, and townsfolk across the frontier are calling out for brave gunmen to fight them. Combining powerful age-old magic with modern black powder weaponry many gunmen and women for hire are seeking their fortunes in answering the call to exterminate the hellish apparitions.

- Male or female human
    - Carries a magically enhanced firearm from the Wild West era. (pistols / rifles / Gatling gun, etc)
    - Genre is Fantasy Western.
    Character Sheet:
    - One front and back view of your character.
    - One action pose / movement study
    - Detail of mystic weapon/s
    Optional extras: Facial expressions, alternative colour schemes.

The Rules:

- FINALS: Must post in finals thread before the deadline
    - KNEES UP: Must show at least 3/4 of the character, from at least the knees up.
    - FRONT VIEW: Must be able to see the front of design. No back views without a front.
    - WIPS: Must show at least 2 work in progress shots with final entry.
    - READABLE: Design must be readable, as in a 3D model could be made from your image.
    - ONLY ONE: May only submit one entry. No multiple submissions.
    - 3D: Must be originally created models, excluding primitives. 3D paint-overs permitted. If you choose to use 3D in whole or in part you must show a screenshot of the model in 3D software with final entry.
    - UNACCEPTABLE: These are not permitted: Photos, photo paint-overs, photobashing, pre-made or purchased 3D
    models, rushed works/ rough sketches.
    - NEW USERS: Must submit entries by 6pm GMT on due date, due to conceptart.org's moderation process: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...-up-yet/page24

- DESIGN: Design your character for the brief, not your personal fetish. Nudes without some design are not permitted.
    - READ: Read through the threads; there may be answers to your questions already posted.
    - FUN: Have fun!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here are my thoughts so far on my character. This is mostly building up the concepts for the attire and characterization of the face built for the basic front view. I still need to brainstorm on the gun and some of the accessories he would have for fighting off the magical baddies.
    Name:  Magic Gunslinger.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  110.0 KB
    64% of all percentages are made up on the spot.

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...06#post1686206

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyrus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Was never big on era Westerns, just feeling out the gunslinger garb.

Name:  chow425-mystic-gunslinger-wip1.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  140.1 KB

Idea for character is first generation to be born out of slavery, striking out West for a new life.
    Packs a seven chamber pistol; the number seven having superstitious history.
    Parts of the gun are reforged iron from the shackles of his parents. Themes of firearms keep freedom, but also has familial significance and a sort of blood magic. It uses paper-jacketed cartridges, and he uses pages from holy books as there is not a shortage of those to fight the baddies and the gribblies.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Don't forget the "mystic" angle can spread to his costume as well, so feel free to mix more occult / exorcist / mage elements all over his design and not necessarily just the gun. Just make sure there is enough cowboy in there to get the Wild West flavour to it.

Thanks
    Working abstract constellation and or leyline themes into the coat.
    I was trying to explore using other non-cowboy hats of the 19th century, but I don't think it's communicating Wild West.
    Feels more like sherlock holmes or Prohibition era...
    Name:  chow425-mysticgunslinger-wip2.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  156.2 KB

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some gun ideas.

Push your concepts people! Think "gun wizard" who happens to be in the Wild West.

Name:  guns copy.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  210.3 KB

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This my first post here, and obviously my first entry. I'm a beginner, so be gentle! Name:  garrett_priest.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  41.9 KB

Thanks
    This is my attempt so far, I'm not sure if it'll match up to the other great works so far X3 so far, the idea with mine is a rifle/sniper mystic gunslinger. Using bright energies from the markings on his right shoulder that channel a burning magic into each shot of his rifle (i.e fires the trigger with his right hand) I'm not sure if the gun is period correct, I'll leave it for now until I get some clarfication on that and work on making the body and clothes.

With the markings, I intent to have it faintly glow through thin clothing while also showing off an alternative clothes that include a overcoat styled piece and a wide brim hat.
    Name:  Mystic Gunslinger.png
Views: 1419
Size:  78.2 KB

Thanks
    FredJohnson: The gun looks similar to wild west designs, especially the stock, but the barrel just seems to be one long uninterrupted tube. Try looking up some images of carbines, Winchester rifles, etc to get some of the details down. You don't have to make an exact copy, your welcome to adapt it to your own magical interpretation of course. (see my earlier image "Necromancer's friend" that's copied from an old carbine, there is a mix of wood and brass bits with clasps and all sorts.) Maybe have some of the markings on his shoulder flowing into / across the gun as well to show they are connected?

Muddlebox: There isn't much "mystical" going on with this at the moment. Are those tanks filled with holy water or demon blood or something? Give some indication of what is in there, deck him out in crosses / demonic symbols and try to visually tell the story of your character, don't leave your viewer guessing!

InfernoKing: I think the hat is the main thing that screams cowboy, so I'd keep that and concentrate on being creative with the rest of the outfit.

Some initial ideas from me. I'm trying to combine wizard robes with a duster coat. I also got bored with that and tried out a topless tattooed guy.

Comments welcome.

Name:  cowwips.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  112.9 KB
    Last edited by Moirae; April 13th, 2017 at 11:05 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Moirae: Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably make a bit where he's holding the gun and have the swirls traveling into it cx

Thanks
    I think it's going well, I've settled a good base for the body and such, just need to finish the gun, tidy up and do some other parts to add to it and spice it up.
    Name:  Mystic Gunslinger.png
Views: 1376
Size:  83.6 KB

The stitching on the shirt is to show the near explosiveness of his powers, as he's just recently used his magic to beat someone in a brawl and the coursing energy burst his sleeve apart.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks
    Hey everyone. Cool designs here especially yours Moirae I like what direction you're going in. I love the 'worn' feel of your designs. I did some silhouettes to start with I'm not sure which one I like yet for they all have some interesting quality. If I had to pick though I'd probably pick C and A. What do you guys think?

Name:  Mystic Gunslinger ConceptsSM.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  145.8 KB

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaryBedell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  mystic.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  97.6 KB
    Trying to tighten up the lines a bit and figure out what I'm doing here. The gun is just a placeholder until I figure out what its going to look like.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to muddlebox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    New here. The requirements are for a character sheet that shows both front and back of the character. Does the character sheet have to be fully rendered, or can it be rough sketches?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Jones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Jones View Post
    New here. The requirements are for a character sheet that shows both front and back of the character. Does the character sheet have to be fully rendered, or can it be rough sketches?
    Scot Jones:The front, back, action pose and weapon detail should be of finished quality, you also need to provide at least two works in progress with your final entry, those can be rough sketches showing how you developed your design.

Gary Bedell: I really do like B, but it's probably a bit awkward for this and doesn't read wild west enough. E looks good to me though. Is C a nun?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast