Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 693 Posts
    I really like your stuff, especially your drawings.
    I think your paintings would benefit from you using the whole value range. You can make them pop if you go really dark in places where no light hits.
    Ha, I just saw that Danny_K said something similar.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hayo. Returning the visit.

Dude, awesome draftsmanship. Very accurate drawing and nice linework too. Wish I had a good an eye+hand as you!

Like the other fellers said, I think you could really take things to the next level if you worked on your values a bit more.

Shot in the the dark here and it might have nothing to do with it, but watching a process video of one of your paintings (I think it was the tiger head on the first page) it seems you are very lighthanded and like to build up things slowly, almost like watercolor or something. That's great since you can really avoid making silly mistakes that can't be corrected (because of medium build-up or how much work the correction takes), you'll get a very nice richness of hues and you'll avoid snapping the shit outta your shoulder and neck like I do all the time (I grasp the pencil hardcore) but it might part of the reason why your stuff lacks a bit contrast, particularly on the dark side. Maybe next time, when you think you're done, put the piece away for a day or two, come back to it and try to notice if you could punch in some darker darks somewhere.

Also, nothing beats the convenience of it but working from photos can also be detrimental to how your perceive values, since they get flattened by the camera, particularly in shots taken outside. Maybe do some more studies from life with saucers, apples and a couple of nicely set up lights to study values?

Lastly, dropping Aaron Blaise name here in the odd chance you haven't heard of him (you probably have!). Beautiful animal stuff, definitely check him out on YT.

Keep working hard!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dndallasta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great to hear you've come back to CA! This is already looking like it's going to be a very impressive sketchbook as it grows more. Your creatures are very good. The portrait of the man is very nicely rendered too, I'm not shy at all but I dont think I'd have the balls to go over to someone and ask if I could make a photo of their face for reference, hahaha but props for doing it!
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    some nice work and control of your mediums,my two cents are that I think it would add a lot to your work if you tried capturingthe big planer shapes and rhythms
    and eliminating detail where it is not needed.
    thanks for stopping by my sketchbook.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GrayPersona For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie from the moon View Post
    Sweet pastels! Definitely will try them myself!
    Thanks Z. Yeah...they'e a cool medium for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_K View Post
    Fun stuff hehe, try to push your values more, add more darks to make the lights pop and vice versa, cheers!
    Thanks for the advice Danny. They used to really push us to do that in art classes I took. I've probably slipped back into bad habits again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyaloclastics View Post
    Love your pastel paintings man!I have also tried working with pastels many years ago but they were so hard to get used to them!>_< Keep it up!
    Thanks! I don't know why...but I always liked working with them. Hope you'll give 'em a try again someday. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeraz View Post
    I really like your stuff, especially your drawings.
    I think your paintings would benefit from you using the whole value range. You can make them pop if you go really dark in places where no light hits.
    Ha, I just saw that Danny_K said something similar.
    Thanks Tiggeraz! It's good to hear that from more than one person 'cause it really drives it in. Thanks to both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by dndallasta View Post
    Hayo. Returning the visit.

Dude, awesome draftsmanship. Very accurate drawing and nice linework too. Wish I had a good an eye+hand as you!

Like the other fellers said, I think you could really take things to the next level if you worked on your values a bit more.

Shot in the the dark here and it might have nothing to do with it, but watching a process video of one of your paintings (I think it was the tiger head on the first page) it seems you are very lighthanded and like to build up things slowly, almost like watercolor or something. That's great since you can really avoid making silly mistakes that can't be corrected (because of medium build-up or how much work the correction takes), you'll get a very nice richness of hues and you'll avoid snapping the shit outta your shoulder and neck like I do all the time (I grasp the pencil hardcore) but it might part of the reason why your stuff lacks a bit contrast, particularly on the dark side. Maybe next time, when you think you're done, put the piece away for a day or two, come back to it and try to notice if you could punch in some darker darks somewhere.

Also, nothing beats the convenience of it but working from photos can also be detrimental to how your perceive values, since they get flattened by the camera, particularly in shots taken outside. Maybe do some more studies from life with saucers, apples and a couple of nicely set up lights to study values?

Lastly, dropping Aaron Blaise name here in the odd chance you haven't heard of him (you probably have!). Beautiful animal stuff, definitely check him out on YT.

Keep working hard!
    Thanks very much for the encouraging feedback dndallasta. As I said above...now that it's become a "chorus" I'll definitely be more aware of value. So thanks!

Yes...I do tend to work very light handed...which is actually quite a switch from when I first started. Not because I was super confident...but I just had a cave-man's touch. Also I have virtually no digital training...but did take quite a few traditional art classes. With those mediums (charcoal, pastel and oil) we were taught to build things up slowly...and it definitely carries over to my digital work.

You made some good suggestions about putting things to the side for a bit...give the old eyes a chance to see it new again....and working from life. I've done a ton of that in the past...but none recently.

I checked out Blaise and LOVE his stuff. I didn't know him by name but discovered I'd saved a lot of his work on my computer already. I watched his video on painting big cats and learned a lot. So a big thanks again for all your tips and advice etc. And I WILL!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kessel View Post
    Great to hear you've come back to CA! This is already looking like it's going to be a very impressive sketchbook as it grows more. Your creatures are very good. The portrait of the man is very nicely rendered too, I'm not shy at all but I dont think I'd have the balls to go over to someone and ask if I could make a photo of their face for reference, hahaha but props for doing it!
    Hey Dennis...thanks a lot man! It took me a while to just go up to people and ask...but I find that almost everyone is flattered (especially if you sell it right). Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by GrayPersona View Post
    some nice work and control of your mediums,my two cents are that I think it would add a lot to your work if you tried capturingthe big planer shapes and rhythms
    and eliminating detail where it is not needed.
    thanks for stopping by my sketchbook.
    Oh man...you hit on a big one for me. I've always been a fan of realism...but learning what to leave in and out is a tough one for me for sure...and I really need to get that rhythm thang going. Hopefully like they say... being aware of something is the first step to change. Fingers crossed and thanks!

----------------------------

Just tried to post some pics and the color was all SCREWED up on one. I'll need to re-group and try again later.

Thanks
    Here are some sketches from last fall.

One of a friend who nearly died in 2015...and another cartoony thang I started when I was waiting for my car at the repair shop.

Name:  Uncle-Chad-Copyright-2016-Jephyr-700px.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  72.1 KB

I used a selfie he took being a "protective uncle" toward his niece's boyfriend

Name:  I-Can-Quit-Any-Time-I-Want-Copyright-2016-Jephyr-All-Rights-Reserved.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  103.4 KB
    Last edited by Jephyr; May 16th, 2017 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks
    Just finished this one.

Name:  Enlightenment-Copyright-2017-Jephyr-All-Rights-Reserved-wBorder.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  93.9 KB

Name:  Enlightenment-WIP-Composite-Copyright-2017-Jephyr-All-Rights-Reserved.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  74.4 KB

The original concept sketch and an early "form" rough.
    Last edited by Jephyr; May 17th, 2017 at 02:24 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jephyr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice renderings, as others have mentioned before your animal drawings are great. you touch the subject slightly how about trying some landscape studies? I think you'll knock'em out the park!
    thanks for your comment!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I really want to make a joke about that squirrel and it's nuts.

Anyway, I love the idea of combing a squirrel with frazetta, you definitely don't see enough of that. The rendering of your animals looks good too, I think my personal favorite is the pastel lion.

Even though you've got some very nice studies and they look pretty realistic I think what stands out the most to me is the crazy exaggerated stuff, I think that's what gives you your own style and makes you stand out from others.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to shoebill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks so much Adrian. That's an excellent challenge. I'm going to put some landscape studies at the top of my list. Thanks again

Thanks shoebill. Yeah...hahaha...I thought about that too. While I was drawing it I often thought to myself that if anyone told me that one day I'd be drawing a squirrel's junk...I woulda said "no way."

I REALLY appreciate your comment about my "exaggerated" stuff. I do love doing that kind of character—and would love to do a graphic novel with them. Thanks again

-----------------------------

So here's some new sketches.

Name:  Theophilous-Copyright-2017-Jephyr-All-Rights-Reserved.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  133.1 KB

Had to re-draw this guy 'cause I blewy'd coffee all over the first sketch of him—but liked him enough to re-do it.

Here's the first one

Name:  Theophilous-Copyright-Coffee-Blewie-2017-Jephyr-All-Rights-Reserved.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  74.8 KB

As I hinted to shoebill—I have an idea in mind for a graphic novel with this next character.

Name:  The-Bonesman-Copyright-2017-Jephyr-All-Rights-Reserved.jpg
Size:  142.7 KB

I wrote about my idea on my blog if ya wanna check it out.

Name:  Timmy-Copyright-2017-Jephyr-All-Rights-Reserved.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  134.2 KB

The one above is from last fall but I realized I'd never shared it on-line anywhere.

Name:  Giddyup-Copyright-2017-Jephyr-All-Rights-Reserved.jpg
Size:  115.9 KB

^ ^ ^ I started this sketch LONG ago...but just finished re-working it.

Originally I had a cowboy, bull rider type dood riding it...but like it so much better with the girlie.

And finally:

Name:  Kharztan-Copyright-2017-Jephyr-All-Rights-Reserved.jpg
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  The-Meeting-Copyright-2017-Jephyr-All-Rights-Reserved.jpg
Size:  98.1 KB

Not completely satisfied with this last one....but kinda liked some of the idea and the bit of humor in it......

Thanks
    hey great stuff! nice volumes and anatomy. post more!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparekiss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice designs and good renders. the last one might feel a little awkward because the horizon line seems to be 2m behind the human character, we would see way more mountains further in the distance, now it kind of feels like an edge. Looking forward to seeing more!
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sparekiss: Thanks for stopping by and commenting...I appreciate the feedback and encouragement.

Dennis Kessel: Thank you too! Good call on that horizon line. If I decide to paint that sketch I'll definitely work on that.

Thanks again!

-----------------------------------

I'll start with a few sketches I've finished recently:

Name:  Jeanine's-First-Kiss-Copyright-2017-Jephyr-All-Rights-Reserved.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  112.0 KB

^^^ Just messing with "character" and had fun creating her hair.

Name:  Kip-Copyright-2017-Jephyr-All-Rights-Reserved.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  101.3 KB

^^^ I forget what this character started out as...but at some point I just erased the page...but left a few lines that turned into his trunk...and then had fun creating that massive body of his to match the elephant-like head.

Name:  The-Watchman-Copyright-2017-Jephyr-All-Rights-Reserved.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  138.0 KB

^^^ Found the original sketch for this one in a "works in progress" file on my 'puter. I'd digitally paint a bit on it and lose interest and move on...but when I re-opened it recently...I finally started making head-way on it and just finished it today.

Had fun creating the large script at the bottom using the pen tool and layer styles. Even though it just a cartoony character...it's kinda a surreal image and I want to do more stuff like it.

Thanks for stopping by..........

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jephyr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome stuff Jephyr, your work has a good balance between shape and form. And very creative characters too.

If you want to get better at dynamic poses, consider studying how animators approach it. There are some great videos of Glenn Keane explaining and showing his thought process for depicting characters in action for example. Keep it up!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 693 Posts
    Your pencil pieces are as sexy as always.
    Your latest digital piece looks sort of blurry. If your intention was to put focus, literally, on the eyes by making everything else look out of focus I gotta say it it isn't really working.

Keep up the good work!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast