Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

EOW #291: Legend of Zelda Week - FINAL BURNING

EOW #291: Legend of Zelda Week - FINAL BURNING

EOW #291: Legend of Zelda Week

Big Zelda fan? In light of the legendary franchise releasing a new game recently, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wind. Create an environment inspired by the Zelda series!

The due date is two weeks from now: April 15, 2017.

This thread is for your WIPs. Post your final entry in this thread. Thank you and good luck!!!
    Join us for the EOW..

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well - that was another interesting learning experience. I ended up refining a thumbnail sketch like I did last week - not what I'd planned, but I think it looks okay. I could have spent a lot longer tidying things up.

I imagined a giant creature had been buried during a great storm long ago, and this would be the basis for a shrine - to be entered through the mouth. I did some other sketches with more heads to indicate several such beings being caught in the catastrophe. I didn't manage to get a good start on another image though, so I went back to this one in the end.

I think I could have done more with the styling - such as simplifying the foliage designs to fit the aesthetic. Feel free to drop some feedback if you like - I'd be interested to hear your thoughts!

Name:  EOW291 Zelda.jpeg
Views: 1182
Size:  297.4 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mythmaker: I think your piece needed some composition modifications, which you can see in my paint-over. It's more dynamic to have more space b/t Link and the mountain, while also making Link larger in the foreground.

Also, most the edges in this piece, no matter how close they are to the camera, are treated with a similar level of blur. Things in the foreground will always be sharper than things in the background. A good way to get harder/ crisper edges is with the lasso tool.

The same goes for how things are painted, that your foreground and middle ground rocks and sand are painted in the same fashion. While I think it's acceptable for the middle ground, the foreground rocks should be painted sharper and with more detail. Link should similarly have more detail/sharpness, where you can see the design on his shield, wear/tear on clothing, etc. Nothing distracting, but just enough to see that he's been traveling through a desert. He's too clean at the moment.

Name:  zelda_mm_reviz.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  380.3 KB

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdamRoush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey guys, I'm going to have a go at this one, brings back some nice memories I'll be doing the witches shack from a link to the past. Here's the first sketch.

Name:  IMG_0962.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  97.5 KB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sutan san For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    AdamRoush: Thanks for all the feedback! - Lots of good points in there. I wasn't really happy with the composition, but I struggled to get a good start on another one. I think I would have preferred a closer comp looking up at the shrine. I did paint in more detail on Link such as the crest on the shield, and a scabbard at one point, but felt it was drawing too much attention - so was just trying to stick to EOW rules with that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Next little step roughing out Some more the sketch.
    Name:  IMG_0976.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  127.3 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sutan san For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Always less time left so I'm simplifying more than I'd like too. With so little time left I'm going to spend it on better line work, shading/color would become too difficult now

Name:  IMG_0977.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  125.9 KB

Thanks
    Next one I want to take my time...
    Name:  IMG_0978.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  124.9 KB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sutan san For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, here's my final. Finally. Took about a week from my last update to this version.
    I drastically changed the mood and color; I was inspired by the mysteriousness of the foggy mountains while driving one morning. This is much better than the sunset scenario I was trying before. I'm much happier with it.

If you're interested in seeing some progress shots, check out my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VQo8N

Name:  zelda_F1_ca.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  450.9 KB

Close Ups:
    Name:  zelda_F1_cu1.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  391.5 KB
    Name:  zelda_F1_cu2.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  322.3 KB

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AdamRoush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Adamroush, I see you've looked at the new game for reference. I like the matte paint approach, it's great work.

I'm not sure about mine, I feel like I'm rendering a turd if I put in more time.
    Name:  IMG_0979.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  117.6 KB

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sutan san For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ... light pen hihi

Name:  IMG_0980.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  130.8 KB

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sutan san For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is as far as I'll go on this one, too much to do in real life the following days. It was fun to make.

Name:  IMG_0984.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  117.6 KB

Thanks
    Lovely work guys. I wanted to ask you all a question. How would you like to see the EOW move forward from here? I notice the activity in threads can be on-and-off, sometimes it's active, sometimes there are zero responses. What can be improved, etc?
    Join us for the EOW..

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Hey Vulgar,

the last few years I haven't been very active so I can't really say much about improvement. I know that I'm mostly working towards professional assignment portfolio. So anything that gets the same type of workload and demands as a freelance assignment will be great for me. There's a few companies in my country that also take inhouse designers but not many.

I hope it helps as feedback.

Thanks

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sutan san For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Vulgar,

One of the things we've done for the CHOW challenge to liven it up is to display the winner's artwork on the banner every 5 rounds. Every 5 rounds, (430, 435, 440, etc) someone else gets to see their work on display, if they win that challenge. I also mix up the text color scheme to match the image, so it's not the same thing every time. We usually get a decent number of entrants on banner rounds, because it's kind of like a prize and also because people like seeing their work on display.

I like that this challenge is more open, as in "here's a somewhat vague topic, have at it!" sort of mentality. It enables people to be more creative, to think more about the subject, and come up with a cool composition. But sometimes that can be confusing as was the case with the "Mystic Rancheros" theme. I wasn't 100% sure what I was supposed to be designing. It describes the people, but doesn't tell me what to do as far as an environment is concerned. Was I supposed to design them growing crops inside their house?

I think just a little more description of the topic could help, if it isn't a fan art piece. I'll definitely participate in anything I think is a cool topic, but the weird, potentially confusing ones I tend to skip.

In the EOW threads, I've noticed a lack of in-depth critique, so I think it would help to encourage more critique. If no one says anything for a few days, maybe if you chime in with some thoughts it'll encourage others to express their 2 cents. I've noticed on CHOW that if you someone starts critiquing others' works, other participants tend to chime in. Because the one thing I would like more of is critique of my environment work. I'm still relatively new to environment work, so any help I can get is appreciated. By entering these challenges, I'm trying to improve and make portfolio-grade work.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdamRoush For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast