Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamRoush View Post
    Vulgar,

One of the things we've done for the CHOW challenge to liven it up is to display the winner's artwork on the banner every 5 rounds. Every 5 rounds, (430, 435, 440, etc) someone else gets to see their work on display, if they win that challenge. I also mix up the text color scheme to match the image, so it's not the same thing every time. We usually get a decent number of entrants on banner rounds, because it's kind of like a prize and also because people like seeing their work on display.

I like that this challenge is more open, as in "here's a somewhat vague topic, have at it!" sort of mentality. It enables people to be more creative, to think more about the subject, and come up with a cool composition. But sometimes that can be confusing as was the case with the "Mystic Rancheros" theme. I wasn't 100% sure what I was supposed to be designing. It describes the people, but doesn't tell me what to do as far as an environment is concerned. Was I supposed to design them growing crops inside their house?

I think just a little more description of the topic could help, if it isn't a fan art piece. I'll definitely participate in anything I think is a cool topic, but the weird, potentially confusing ones I tend to skip.

In the EOW threads, I've noticed a lack of in-depth critique, so I think it would help to encourage more critique. If no one says anything for a few days, maybe if you chime in with some thoughts it'll encourage others to express their 2 cents. I've noticed on CHOW that if you someone starts critiquing others' works, other participants tend to chime in. Because the one thing I would like more of is critique of my environment work. I'm still relatively new to environment work, so any help I can get is appreciated. By entering these challenges, I'm trying to improve and make portfolio-grade work.
    Thanks for the great suggestions Adam, can you tell me what programs you use for the winner's artwork on the banner? I have very low skills with graphics and photoshop. Is there anything I can download or use for free to accomplish this? I'd love to do it.
    Join us for the EOW..

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Vulgar: For the banners, I've made a template in which I can easily adjust the text and the images, which makes every banner consistent. I use Photoshop, though it's hardly cheap.

Fortunately, there's some great free image editing apps:
    Gimp: It's software that seems to act a lot like Photoshop, in that you can do paintings, text, photo-based work, etc. Works for Mac, PC, Linux, etc.
    Pixlr: If you don't want to bother with more software on your computer, you can use this one online. It has everything you need to make simple banners, and is really easy to use. The only downside is that you're limited to the fonts that are available in the editor, whereas Gimp can use whatever fonts you can download from places like dafont.com.

In both, you can save a multi-layered file, so that you can simply edit it when you want to make a new banner, instead of recreating one from scratch every time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdamRoush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Many thanks! I'll try those out and see which one works. It's also just a useful skill for any job so I thank you.
    Join us for the EOW..

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2