Thanks

EOW #291: Legend of Zelda Week

Big Zelda fan? In light of the legendary franchise releasing a new game recently, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wind, this week's theme is to create an environment inspired by the Zelda series!

The due date is two weeks from now: April 15, 2017.

This thread is for your WIPs. Post your final entry in the Finals thread. Thank you and good luck!!!
    Last edited by Vulgar`; April 1st, 2017 at 01:52 PM.
    Join us for the EOW..

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Join us for the EOW..

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's funny - I saw a process video for a nice piece of BOTW fan art the day before you posted this.

Okay - found it again! - It's by Jeremy Fenske:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nLY0K

I'm keen to do one myself - just worried about being too influenced by existing imagery. We shall see...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mythmaker: Thanks for posting that link. The process video he posted was really cool, and interesting to see how he made his image.

Here's my sketch. I really liked the ancient shrine ruins from the new game. I'm changing the architecture style a little bit, from a Western style to a slightly Eastern one. The shrines look older, so it could make sense to have their architecture different than the newer structures. I also wanted to incorporate the dynamic lighting they have in it, while trying to paint a sunset scenario. I tried a few different directions, such as #1 & #2, where the sun is out of frame, just lighting the tops of the structures. It also draws more attention to the shrine's glowy runes.

Name:  zelda_cw.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  224.8 KB

(I've only ever played the Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages on the Gameboy Color in the Zelda franchise, so I'm fairly unfamiliar with all things Zelda.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AdamRoush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So many bricks....

When painting custom items, like buildings or pillars, I like to draw them out in detail before painting it, so I don't have to guess where things are or how the design is supposed to be. It just makes things easier, even if it takes a few hours to draw.

But I just can't decide which lighting to go with... #3 seems like the obvious choice, but I like #1 a lot as well. Hmm,... Thoughts?
    Also, does the lighting in #1 look right? Finding sunset reference where the sun is out of frame while shining on buildings in frame is surprisingly hard AF to find. So I'm pretty much just guessing.

Name:  zelda_c2w.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  394.9 KB

Also also, I'm going to be out of town next week, so this is as far as I'll get before the deadline.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdamRoush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 715 Posts
    Been wanting to do some Zelda fanart with BotW being a thing (amazing game btw)...
    also been wanting to actually do more....art....in general...

I don't get a whole lotta freetime these days though so I likely won't be able to finish anything before the deadline...
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Rob: Do it! There's still time!

Adam: Sorry - I totally failed on the feedback; I started to write something last week and even tried a paintover to explain - but never posted!

I don't know if you will have done any more work on it, but I felt having the sun behind wasn't such a good idea - because the ruin is the main point of interest, and you want that to be readable. I think having a bright light behind a foreground in shadow could work against that due to the contrast, and exposure/dynamic range considerations.

I would go with one of the other two options, then lighten the image to give you some room to work in more values - so you can bring out the forms of the ruins. Also push the depth using atmospheric perspective.

I've been trying to do one myself. I've played around with thumbnails and variations on an idea, but I've ended up falling back on a thumbnail I did last week. It's not what I'd intended, but time is limited - so I'm just going ahead with this now.

Name:  ZeldaLandscapeWIP.jpeg
Views: 261
Size:  139.8 KB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post: