Art: Yumiko & Siamese 2, Merging Watercolor & PhotoShop

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink Yumiko & Siamese 2, Merging Watercolor & PhotoShop

Hiya, been working on a few pieces inspired by my characters on City of Heroes. (Yes, I'm a dork by night.) I primarily work in watercolor and oil, but I have recently been playing with PhotoShop... (My first attempt at actually "painting" with PhotoShop will be posted soon in the "sketches/ideas/works in progress" forum. I could use some advice over there) Each of these pieces took about 10 hours to do, from begining to end... not including all the dilly dally I get sucked into... The figure was done with watercolor, and the background & some smaller elements were PS.
    Crits would be appreciated. Thanks!

(Please let me know if the photos don't load)

This is Yumiko
    Yumiko & Siamese 2, Merging Watercolor & PhotoShop

Last edited by Jessica Hook; October 2nd, 2005 at 12:38 AM. Reason: this shit is a year old and some of it's embarrassing now, jeezee chreezee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some really nice things going on in your work. You can clearly see your own style through the Masamune Shirow influence. I myself love his stuff and am highly influenced by his works’ content, style and process. This is why I am compelled to reply to your post.
    Here are a few suggestions on some things you should try. First, why watercolor? Although it is a great medium and it appears you are comfortable with it, the texture clashes with the rest of your compositions IMO. The watercolor elements alone are done nicely but when pasted onto a higher res image they lose their natural looseness and freedom. You have Pshop, I suggest playing around with (dare I say airbrush) soft brushes and layer opacities to get the much cleaner look I think you’re trying for. If you still insist on traditional watercolor for your initial treatment, retouch and soften your color layers in Pshop and then overlay your line work. I’m sure you’ll enjoy the process experimentation at the very least.
    Now just the little stuff… In the second pic (the one with the cityscape behind) I feel a few elements would really help it pop. A slight green reflection in her eyes from that mech arm would be nice. I’d bring up the intensity or hue on the red parts of her jumpsuit or maybe just fill them in more. But lastly and I believe most importantly her right arm needs more attention. If you took the time to render and texture your background 3D elements, chrome up that arm. Hajime Sorayama is a great pinup artist I really enjoy also. His stuff tends to get a bit racy but I’m sure you’ll get a lot out of checking out his stuff and process, especially his chrome treatments.
    Like I said, I only replied because I’m diggin’ what you’re doin’ and thought you’d like a different perspective. Keep it up. Hopefully you’ll find my suggestions worth pursuing. If so, I’m sure you’ll be pleased with the outcome.
    I’d love to see more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Anatomy: It appears as if you're using ovals to build the figures. It's a nice was to quickly get a silhuette, but there's more to anatomy than ovals. For example, the lower arm looks very different depending on how it pronates/ supinates (twists) because how the two arm bones crosses. One thing I remember being surprised about is how the fat part of the lower arm (when not bent) moves up to more to the joint. It rocked my oval construction world.
    Shirow have a tendency to make really slim torsos, I can understand if you're going for that if you like his art (who doesn't?), but I think her hips look almost omitted (rightmost side). Could be the slight side angle and the leg pose, or maybe it's the oval construction's fault.

Nice faces was my first thought.

Light&color: Looks a bit flat, which is sort of okay with line art helping out. The dress, being made of cloth(?), should not go as high with the hilites (on the bewbs).
    It's interesting to note how on photos of pinups, the values tend to vary a lot over the body. To render all the bodyparts with the same value range might flatten it. The hue and tan varies of course, but the genereral angle and distance from the light source is also important.
    As for the background there's a texture mismatch that pulls her out of the scene. The skinshadow magenta indicates a blue sky enviroment, but the forest greens tells me there should be greens in her shadows.

Cindy Crawford illustrates arm joints, tanned legs vs pale lower arms (insides). Most importantly, note the ambient blue in the shadows, and the red gradiation on the edge to the shadow. Also note how the leftmost leg gets gradually darker near the bottom, cuz it's has another angle than the rightmost.

ed (links should be safe, if not, let me know): young cindy illustrates again. Purple hands, Brown legs, pale chest (also angled more up). No shading at all on her suit.

Okay maybe not supe relevant to your picture but still interesting to some I hope.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; October 29th, 2004 at 02:07 AM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Guys : D
    Thank you sooo much for the advice! I love hearing things from people with fresh eyes.

KevinP: Why do I use watercolor? Because it's one of 2 mediums that I use, the other is oil. I use it because I am familiar with it, unlike painting with PhotoShop which is completely new to me. I am trying to figure out a happy middle place, but this is just the begining. I have posted my first attempt at painting with PS. Ironically, I think I did what you were suggesting, which was to use many layers of transparent airbrush layers. Yumiko is my second attempt at incorporating PS, Siamese 2 is my third attempt. I am going to try your suggestions of punching up the green reflective glare in her eyes is, and deepening and softening the red in PS. I'll try to have it posted in the next day or two.

Prometheus/ANJ: I see what you mean about the anatomy and color. Well put. And dare I say the "young Cindy" has very much a Shirow torso?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yumiko I likeses thems as usuals keeps up the goodered work!

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure about the background of these pictures but I love the figures

*store*
    Fantasy Art Gifts
    Offers Angels, Dragons & Wild Life Art on Prints, Poster, Apparel products

Angel Art Gifts
    Angel Art Gifts offers Christian art available on prints, posters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well this is an old thread.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your missing your cool shadows

Darrell Bowman
    Freelance render

Blog This!

Draw Draw Draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like this as a drawing. I think you have to many styles of painting actually going on (background, skin tones, gloves and shirt, ect.) I would really like t see the painting developed more, rendering it in a crisp vivid style like you started in the hat, which I really like. igher contrast would help as well. I would also suggest toning your blues more. Keep working on this one. Do you have any others?

- Visions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Guys, thank you for the additional comments. But this thread is a year old.... I took down all the other pictures because I don't plan on revisiting them, and I feel I've progressed beyond them. When I made them it was my very first experience using photoshop, so looking back at them is quite embarrassing..... using the default leaf brush? What was I thinking? I'm just glad I didn't use lens flare, haha, though at the time I wouldn't have known better.
    Thanks again!
    ....but I think it's time for this baby to rest in peace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 0kelvin
    Well this is an old thread.

0kelvin
    good eye.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry yumiko I didnt know this thread was old I just wanted comment on your work I didnt mean to rehatch anything old

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    noshadowmaster -hey no problem! I should thank you, cause it only spurs me to post some new work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice feel to your work- reminds of one of my favorite japaneese works -Nuasicaa -Valley of the wind - I don't know why - ...and your stuff looks original to me. Peace .Riddle

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.