7 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks

C.H.O.W #423 :: Female Barbarian :: FINALS

C.H.O.W #423 :: Female Barbarian :: FINALS

Character of the Week #423

Female Barbarian
    Deadline - Sunday, March 26th 10PM GMT

Every year, at the start of the summer season many tribes meet in a grand festival to choose the strongest amongst them via a series of grueling challenges and tournaments. The contests are open only to women, for the winner will win the right to be symbolically married to the god of blood and battle, and be willingly sacrificed to him a year later to make way for his next wife.
    During this year the red barbarian must wear the sacred colour of red upon her head, and cut a bloody swathe through all her tribe’s enemies, leading every battle from the front line so as to bring the greatest glory to her husband/god before she is sent to meet him in person.

We are using the fantasy interpretation of “Barbarian” here meaning highly muscled with very low tech weapons and materials. Mostly she will wear furs, leather and skins, what little metal she has will likely be only buckles / clasps and small decorations to hold her costume together. Weapons will often be of bone or stone, etc.

You must take inspiration from any historical origin of a similarly low technological level.
    Again, we are taking the fantasy interpretation of “Barbarian”, and many of these examples are in fact far from barbaric, but could serve as an interesting starting point.
    African tribes: Masai, etc, Mongol tribes, Aztec, Goths, Vandals, Celts, Eskimos or Native Americans, etc.

She must also have red hair as a mark of her victory in the tournament.
    Her hair can be dyed, stained with blood, or with more tropical origins, laced with bright red feathers, shells or something similar.

- Female Barbarian Warrior
    - Costume and race must be inspired by a (low tech) historical era.
    - Must have red hair. (See above)
    - Genre is fantasy.

The Rules:

- FINALS: Must post in finals thread before the deadline
    - KNEES UP: Must show at least 3/4 of the character, from at least the knees up.
    - FRONT VIEW: Must be able to see the front of design. No back views without a front.
    - WIPS: Must show at least 2 work in progress shots with final entry.
    - READABLE: Design must be readable, as in a 3D model could be made from your image.
    - ONLY ONE: May only submit one entry. No multiple submissions.
    - 3D: Must be originally created models, excluding primitives. 3D paint-overs permitted. If you choose to use 3D in whole or in part you must show a screenshot of the model in 3D software with final entry.
    - UNACCEPTABLE: These are not permitted: Photos, photo paint-overs, photobashing, pre-made or purchased 3D
    models, rushed works/ rough sketches.
    - NEW USERS: Must submit entries by 6pm GMT on due date, due to conceptart.org's moderation process: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...-up-yet/page24

- DESIGN: Design your character for the brief, not your personal fetish. Nudes without some design are not permitted.
    - READ: Read through the threads; there may be answers to your questions already posted.
    - VOTING: Vote for your favorite piece or whichever fits the theme best. If you vote for yourself, your vote will be subtracted from your final tally.

- FUN: Have fun!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Fun prompt, I realise my pose is extremely boring but I feel like I can't go too crazy and still show of enough of the design. Maybe I need to look into some 'casual' poses that still look interesting.
    I changed some parts so It looked like she had less actual metal on her. And I changed the spear position and gave her something to eat while she slays village after village.

My interpretation of the concept is that there is a tribe that each year selects women to fight for the right to ascend into some 'Valhalla' like place. The winner get's offered a choice. Either you die honourably in battle
    or you get sacrificed after one full seasonal cycle. These woman are extremely feared on the battlefield because they fight without regards for their own life. And often cause enemies to flee the battle after seeing the red coloured hair on the front line.

Name:  barbaarianfinal.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  271.6 KB
    Name:  barbwips.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  122.3 KB

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stinkypanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I had fun with this one! The idea behind the design is that since the festival takes place at the beginning of summer, the women decorate themselves to celebrate the sun -- lots of bright yellows and oranges, both in their clothes and in their tattoos. All contestants wear a large yellow lip piercing, and the winner is given a head piece made of tusks and braided cloth, which she coats in the blood of her opponents to display her victory.

Name:  1111111111 (2).jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  200.0 KBName:  barbarian design final lines (2).jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  189.5 KB
    Name:  unnamed (21).jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  148.7 KB

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sneakysnacky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    sneakysnacky : Good job on improving your pose and listening to critiques! Some of the anatomy is still a bit 'symbolic' in places but it's a huge improvement, and that's literally all that counts.
    Side note: I love how your description goes from 'festival where they celebrate the sun with bright yellows and oranges' to 'which she coats in the blood of her opponent' real quick Good stuff, keep it up

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stinkypanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I really went for the fantasy barbarian theme, particularly the impractically tiny costumes / armour. Some Celtic and Scottish warriors considered wearing armour cowardly, and often charged into battle naked (and drunk) to prove their bravery. Then the Romans turned up dressed in big armour, and we all know how that turned out. So that's my explanation of my very risque outfit, and how my red barbarian doesn't fear the cold.

Name:  red2 copy2.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  211.6 KB

Name:  redani copy.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  158.4 KB
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My barbarian is too brave for armor too. Plus the jungle is pretty hot.
    I went with some red paint/blood in the hair and red feathers instead of an actual red-head.
    Was fun, and I actually finished it. :o

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CHOW423.jpg 
Views:	1619 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	2239078

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Emily Estelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey! Sorry I've not been around for this one - I'm just not very well at the moment and didn't feel up to writing much.

I'm not sure if I've done enough to address the brief, but it was fun to do anyway!

Name:  CHOW423 BarbarianSml.jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  212.3 KB

Name:  BarbarianWIPS.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  208.2 KB
    Last edited by Mythmaker; March 26th, 2017 at 06:01 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    HI here's mine
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    SKETCHBOOK any crits are welcome

Thanks
    Name:  barbarian.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  271.6 KB
    Name:  barbariancopy.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  112.7 KB
    Name:  barbarianflatswip.jpg
Views: 1589
Size:  120.5 KB
    Not my best work, ran out of time for some of the details, but I'm pretty happy with the coloring.
    I intended her to be a Celtic costal warrior. Her armor is made of whale bone and the pelts are from a kind of prehistoric leopard that I'm too lazy to look up the name of right now.

Thanks
    Name:  femaleBarbarian32 (Large).jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  85.2 KB
    Name:  wip (Large).jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  129.2 KB

Thanks
    This thread is now closed. Nice work everyone.

Thanks
    Stinkypanda: I think you could have chosen an earlier / less technologically advanced civilisation to base your design on. We were thinking more stone axes / bone clubs kind of area, I don’t know what Nordic culture was like before the shaping of metal took hold as the main means of crafting, but maybe it’s worth looking into? I think a more evil villain “mwh ha ha, I’m eating your heart” pose would work better rather than a more “casual” one.
    Sneakysnacky: For anatomy it’s worth taking a picture of a friend or yourself posing in the same position and using it as a base. Even a mirror could help a lot. Your character’s design is very good, it’s just a matter of observing the shapes and movements of the human body (particularly the hands, they’re always hard).Taking the time to draw your character’s form before adding the clothes is a very good habit to get into, so definitely keep doing that. Anatomy is something that can only be conquered with observation and practice, keep it up!
    Emily Estelle: The red feathers could be a lot brighter; they don’t stand out from her hair much. Maybe a more dynamic / aggressive pose would work well, like brandishing the head up high for all to see. Etc. The shading is very grey, giving her a washed out look, try adding more colour into the shadows and highlights rather than white and grey. She is standing in a jungle, so she should be taking a lot of reflected green from her surroundings.
    Mythmaker: Your design oozes character, particularly the little daisy in her hair. One problem for me is her facial expression, I can’t tell if she’s winking at me with an alluring toothless smile, or if her injured eye is always closed and she is growling at me.
    FUZIONPREDATOR: I’m not sure which culture this is based on, Romanian maybe? She has a strange almost sci fi look to her which is weird in a cool way. She has the required red helm, but other than that there is nothing really making her stand out from the normal rank and file as a chosen warrior of her people. A little more flourish in places perhaps, like elements from the leftmost wip?
    Pigmentsandpens: A very ambitious perspectival pose. I think something around her other wrist like a metal trinket would help that arm look more rounded and in perspective as it’s coming across a little flat. Also there is a strange bulge on (her left) leg which looks very odd. Also for a Celtic warrior you missed out on an opportunity for a lot of warpaint.
    Raganosis: Her thighs are a bit chunky, especially comparing them to the width of her shoulders and skinniness of her arms. I’d try to beef up her upper half too to make it match a bit more.
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Moirae: Thanks for the feedback! The ambiguous expression was part happy-accident, part deliberate. I liked the idea that she was trying a smile - but not quite pulling it off! (I considered adding text to that effect, as I wasn't sure if it really worked).

I started to write feedback a couple of days ago, so I'll try and get that posted soon.

edited: always worry if my dry humour comes across as intended - always risky when attempting it in text on a multi-national forum
    Last edited by Mythmaker; March 30th, 2017 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks
    Well - that seemed like a decent round for participation!

I've written a few thoughts - hope it's of some use...

stinkypanda: Interesting design, and she is intimidating - you'd definitely think twice before messing with her.

I feel like the proportions seem a bit off; I'm not sure if that's the anatomy, or if it just looks that way because of the shapes/bulk of some of the armour. Lighting is serviceable (enough to describe the form) but a bit indistinct - a bit more thought in this area would help lift your images to the next level. I think the pose is fine as a straight up design presentation, but not very interesting as an image.

I'm not sure about the chromatic aberration - I don't feel it's really adding anything to your piece. Design wise, I thought using metal for weapons was off-topic.

I hope that doesn't sound overly critical - I still think it looks cool!

sneakysnacky: Good progression from your initial design to your final piece. Some nice design elements in there.

When using an outline, it's good to vary the thickness (line weight) - e.g. to help describe transitions, and materials.

There's quite a few anatomy issues (hands and jaw in particular), but this will improve with practice. Maybe you need to spend more time looking at your reference before drawing, then keep checking back and forth - reworking an area if you can see it's not right.

Moirae: I concur - obviously the less clothing, the tougher the warrior! I quite like this one - even from the lineart stage. It has lots of energy; good job on capturing the feel of the wind. Your rendering skills seem to be improving - I think this is more consistent than I've seen from you before.

Some work on the values would help, and the richness of colour isn't consistent with the diffused light of the environment. Okay - it doesn't really make much sense from a design perspective to have her so exposed in that environment (maybe if it was just part of a ritual or something?).

Emily Estelle: Nice work on the figure, and the rendering is clean. Some really nice design elements in there, and also clearly considered in response to the brief. It would really benefit from a more dynamic pose, and kicking up the values a few notches. I can see that you did work some greens into the shadows (looking closely), it's just because the lighting as a whole is quite muted.

Fuzion Predator: You always seem to do really cool designs, that maybe deviate a bit too far from the brief. I really liked this one, but didn't feel I could vote for it.

As an artist I really enjoy seeing what you come up with, but not too sure how I would feel from an art-director's perspective. I think it would be great to have someone who can think outside of the box like you do; as long as the design elements could be filtered down into something more appropriate.

pigmentsandpens: Very dramatic pose and perspective. A good response to the brief. She looks very intimidating. The image is very clean, and easy to read.

It could be enhanced with more definitive lighting, and more colour interaction (elements look very compartmentalised). It might help if you put some kind of background in, so you have an environment to interact with when rendering.

Raganosis: I really like the design on this. Apart from looking cool, she looks pretty tough, and I can see you've done your research. Nice work on the perspective. You got my vote for this round!

There's a lot more you could have done with the rendering; The values are a bit flat - so expanding the range to better describe the light across form would give it more punch and solidity. Would also have enabled you to pick out some of that nice detail work - like on the weapon. I think the expression was better in the second WIP - a bit more intense as it's more direct and the eyes/teeth more visible.

As for my own piece - I'm happy it's been well received, but I don't think it's as strong in design as some other entries - I did things a bit backwards - starting with the character, then shoe-horned in elements later to try and fit the brief. It was nice to do something less serious for a change though!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    stinkypanda
    Like the hair and the details on the armor.
    Her lover body part dose feel a bit elongated. Would be nice to see more interesting pose.

sneakysnacky
    I like the way you implemented the tusks in to your design. Also the patterns on her clothing and body looks pretty cool. I like that you have used traditional materials to create the design.
    I think your red color for a blood is a bit overkill, would be nicer to see more subtle lighter reddish tones instead. Her pose feels like she is showing off in front of the camera, I would go for more action pose as in the middle of action, for example she is attacking or preparing to attack her opponent facing the viewer.

Moirae
    Thanks for the feedback it makes sense, though I went for a sexier look and less manly look that is why I have tried to exaggerate the booty. Will try to balance it more next time, since she supposed to be barbarian.
    Impressive looking peace. I like the action in it. The wind blow and the pose in general feels strong. Nice details and patterns on the coat.
    Orange hair and especially the blood stain are popping too much. The blood stain looks like a photo texture a bit? Lots of small details comparing to the rest area. I think the oranges in your sketch worked better.

Emily Estelle
    I like the rendering on the skin of the character and her face looks appealing to.
    The eyes and eye area of characters face looks a bit mudded not very clear. The leather material covering the crotch area looks a bit flat, could benefit and look more natural if you break the silhouette with bigger wrinkles.

Mythmaker
    Thanks for the feedback and I am glad that you liked my character design. I agree about the shading and values, I should have spent more time working on it. I agree on the expression, the second supposed to be the angry one, but it was difficult to capture that from the reference also at the end I decided to go with more attractive one.
    I really like your concept and that is why you got my vote. She really looks like strong women and the details tell the story. Cool design on the axe as well.
    Her overall anatomy could be improved; I would spend extra time on the hands. The hand griping axe does not feel very strong at the moment, the fingers could overlap more the handle I think. Some materials like leather and feathers? Could be described better for the finishing touch.

FUZION PREDATOR
    Cool clothing design nice colors and shading.
    Feels a bit to sci-fi for this brief, would be interesting to see more face.

pigmentsandpens
    Cool idea and design on characters armor. She dose look very intimidating due her expression and camera angle.
    Anatomy could be improved, would use reference especially for the face, because it is the most important part of your character. That string on her dress is a bit unclear for me at the moment and it is standing out too much from the image.

As for my own peace, it could use some clean up, also proper shading and material definitions .Adding background never hurts to.