Thanks
    Thanked 2,112 Times in 506 Posts

COW #377: Diamond Rain Maker-WIPS Thread

Name:  COW 300 Rules banner.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  381.0 KB

For more info and details about the rules go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271896

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Round #377 Diamond Rain Maker

Topic:
    #377 Diamond Rain Maker

It's believed that the skies of Saturn and Jupiter rain down diamonds due to the molecular makeup of the the air. But what if creatures were actually responsible for this amazing phenomenon? What if we were to see one of these beasts in the skies above our own planet? Of course you'll have to inject a bit of scientific theory here due to the differences in the Earth's atmosphere compared to Saturn and Jupiter, but you don't have to be too anal about it.

[B]Round Requirements:
    -Makes diamond rain
    -Does not necessarily have to fly or float
    -It's on Earth

Deadline:
    Saturday April 1st, 2017

Finals go here: ="http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=180865"http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=327346
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow folks. I have been away from COW for far too long. So, I'm jumping back in because I've missed it so much.

Now, as for this insane Diamond Rain Maker. I've started with some quick silhouettes to get the ideas going. I'm imagining either something that is huge and that floats, or, something that literally spits diamonds high into the air.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Rebholz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Do it Bobby! I'll jump in later.
    Check it out

Thanks
    Which concept do you like out of the 3?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pesonally, I like No. 3, which looks sort of like one of H.G. Wells' Martians - with its beady little eyes - crossed with a rutabaga. In a cute way, of course. What's the theory with the swirly circular lines? It looks to me like either a) that the whole top is spinning as the diamonds fly out, or b) that it's lifting off the ground 'cause they represent spinning wings like helo rotors. I like 'em either way.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to alembic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks ALEMBIC! lol...Exactly the whole top is spinning and the diamonds are flying out. Glad you like and thanks on the feed back =)

Thanks
    I've decided to go with a floating beast. I'll narrow down my choices with these.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Rebholz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'd say #3 as well Lege. Bobby, looking sick brother. 1 and 4 are my faves.

Name:  Diamond-Rain-Thumbs.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  362.3 KB
    Check it out

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bobby Rebholz: I love your concepts and style of rendering. Very cool stuff. I would really like to see number 4 brought to final.

Scorge: 3 it is man. Your post absolutely amazed me man. Your ability to render form is fantastic and the black and gray speaks volumes. I really love how you stuck with the huge creatures too. They gotta be big to make rain. So bad ass, and it's a coin toss cause both of what you present is phenomenal on both the concept and art end. I would really love to see you do a tutorial if you ever get the chance one day. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

1. When you start off, do you just scribble out shapes to find a form that you like, or do you actually have some sort of idea that you pursue trying to visualize?

2.Do you pull references prior to trying to execute a concept ,or execute a concept and then add reference into it?

3.When it comes to perspective, do you prefer just free eyeing things or do you actually utilize the use of grids and such? Your compositions are usually very pleasing to the eye, do you ever use divine proportion/ golden rectangle, or rule of thirds?

4.How do you prefer to move from the black and grey scale image over to color? Do you have a preferred layer mode that you feel is best to use, or a combination to get better results?

5.When it comes to using color, do you always try to use a warm and cool scheme?

6.I know you have used Corel Painter in the past with your work. Do you find yourself still using Corel, or do you prefer to use Photoshop in the times?

7.Do you ever or have you ever tried using bump maps to texture your creatures?

8.I see you use the gradient map in the last post for MythMakers paint over. What is the deal with that? Do you just use a black and gray gradient to adjust the lighting tones, or do you actually go in and do color adjusting too with color gradients?

9.When it comes to lighting creatures, what is your best advice?

10.What is your greatest inspiration / inspirations when designing creatures, and what genre of the animal kingdom to you find yourself personally looking at most? Example: like the insect genre, ocean genre, etc...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bobby Rebholz: 4 feels really strong -- really obvious mouth suggesting where the diamonds come from, and the lack of any limbs planted on a surface really sell the floating aspect. I think the issue with 3 is that it's a little too ambiguous where the head or tail is, and no real distinct features that tell us it shoots out diamonds from anywhere.

Lege1:
    The shape of 3 does the best at suggesting the whole shooting chunks upward function. The spouts on #1 are so small that I overlooked them at first and couldn't tell where they were actually coming from.

scorge: Love how it's clearly a living thing but shares characteristics with aircraft Basically a breathing airship! #1 feels more streamlined, the head area in #2 feels kind of confusing with all that's going on. I see like a spiderweb or something? I'm not able to make out recognizable features yet from the folds/wrinkles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Loomis
    You may question why we do not at once proceed to the finished, smooth, round form. The answer is that in a drawing or painting, something of the individual procedure and structural quality should remain... It is the big form that does the job--not the little and exact.
    Homepage | Dribbble | Art Blog

Fire With Fire (Steam) [Lead Artist]
    Junk ET (Steam 2017) [Lead Artist]

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  diamond_wip1.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  135.8 KB

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fabianguiza For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lots of cool work going on in here! I don't think I'll manage this on top of everything else, but I am watching...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I wanted to share this great link and website with you all if you all don't already know about it. My good friend Jeff Dekal sent this over to me and I def thought it was a great read. Enjoy! Also, if we would all contribute different knowledge resources pertaining to image making, we could develop a lot better as artists. Don't keep it a secret!
    http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2017...photoshop.html

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Man, I really like the ideas I see floating around in here. Great work. I really wanted to do this challenge but got busy this week. I only got to the conceptual stage (silhouettes) so I'll just share those.
    Name:  Diamond Rain Maker_Concepts.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  96.0 KB

Thanks
    fabianguiza: Love the manta ray direction, aquatic creatures seem like a perfect fit for this since anything that swims can easily be made to look as if it's flying I guess I'd just make the diamonds more ... diamond-ier. Right now those white chunks could be anything, but if they looked more sparkly, and if you showed a few distinct 'chunks' in the midst, it might sell what they are more clearly. I get the feeling it sprays out diamonds for mobility, like propulsion.

Lege1: Thanks, this is actually the first time I've read someone break down what each adjustment layer specifically does! Always wondered if anyone had a comprehensive list somewhere.

GaryBedell: I is so cool! Would have loved to see a variation of that, maybe without the strong hind legs since it's supposed to float/fly. Really like those cannon-antlers though. I really liked G too, even thought it might've been too plant-like for the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Loomis
    You may question why we do not at once proceed to the finished, smooth, round form. The answer is that in a drawing or painting, something of the individual procedure and structural quality should remain... It is the big form that does the job--not the little and exact.
    Homepage | Dribbble | Art Blog

Fire With Fire (Steam) [Lead Artist]
    Junk ET (Steam 2017) [Lead Artist]

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast