Thanks

the 400 dollar question?

im selling my ibook for like " a lot" to some guy(no not "someguy") because of all the software... and i wanted to know if for digital painting the 20 inch i mac g5 moniter would be worth paying 400 dollars more then the 17 i mac g5 inch. also you get 80 gb more hd space.
    17 inch imac g5 = 1499
    20 inch imacg5 = 1899
    the main reason im upgrading is because im painting on a 12 laptop screen, and would 17 be enough or is it worth the extra money for 3 more inches?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Of course. It's the 3 outer inches, which means quite a bit of extra area.
    ...+1 exp

Thanks
    but is it worth the 400 dollars as a student. would 17 inch be enough?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    If you have the money, buy the 20".

Once you have tried it, you`ll never go back!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluepuppy
    but is it worth the 400 dollars as a student. would 17 inch be enough?
    Well, I feel it's worth it, even if you're a student. A good monitor lasts a long time, so 400 dollars spread over that length of time really isn't much.
    ...+1 exp

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    personally...id get the seventeen and use the other cash to hit the workshop.

apple monitors are so overpriced...you can get the same quality for less than half that on a pc. I honestly do not know why anyone shells out that much dough for an apple. the boxx technologies stuff is half the price and just as high quality.

j

Thanks
    whats boxx technoligies? for design work and digital painting isnt apple better? are they better then apple? oh wait nothing is better then apple. APPLE GEEKS UNITE!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    suit yourself man....

Thanks
    ??? kidding, what is boxx technologies though? loven the avatar man. the dancing bunny was hella <--------(i hate this word) cool.

Thanks
    My Dell monitor is 17inches. It works out just fine. You don't need 8 monitors and a magical computer to paint.

Btw McNallyism swears by Emachine! heh. Your Best Buy value...

-Joshua James

Thanks
    Almost everything by Apple is overpriced. The iPods may be the only exception...haha. Simple because they have no competition - they are the only ones selling Macs. It seems like they're beginning to understand that they need to cut prices to not lose all their customers, though...the new iBook is for example almost decently priced!

Anyway, you can still get a better PC for the money

Here is the link to Boxx Technologies

Thanks
    the boxx tech's only come with the computer no moniter though which would be another like 500 dollars. jason that avatar is hypnotic, you could tell me anything and i would believe it...who couldnt trust a cute little white puppy..ahhh. ill spray paint it blue for ya. no charge!!what do ya say?

Thanks
    Do yourself a favor and start checking into THIS (and click "Get mobile with GoBoxx!"

Personally, I was about to buy a computer (with the finger on the "order now!" button) and postponed it due to workshop reasons.

Thanks
    $1500.. $1900... you could have spent half of that on a decent pc and gone to the workshop. I don't know, I think you're spending too much reguardless for a student... the added performance and luxury of faster speeds and larger screens isn't going to make you more talented. I use my pc with no complaints... well, let's just say I've never come remotely close to a point where I thought, "oh, if I only had a better computer, I could definitely reach my art potential". Like I said, it's all just luxury and comfert.. that's all.

Thanks
    i use a 12 inch screen and its a real pain in the ass to do anything on it. it sounds like nothing but when your working on a 12 inch screen you'll know what i mean. its also bad for your eyes to strain to see stuff. you say "gone" to the workshop like im not. im getting like 4500 for my ibook if the deal gos through.
    800 mhz
    640 ram
    maya 5,ps 7,painter 8, flash mx, dreamweaver mx, freehand mx, fireworks mx, lightwave 3d 7, illustrator 10

Thanks
    you can get a 12in and hook it up to a standard monitor. That's what I do at home with my 15in. I got a 19in monitor for around 200 bones and it works out fine. You also have to realize that people see digi-paintings on crappy monitors sometimes. You could noodle away for hours and have something look fine on your mac while having it look like shit on a pc monitor (like when a client is looking at it).

something to keep in mind.
    "I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Personally, i like my big monitor. When using photoshop, i cannot live without atleast 1280x1024 resolution. And i cannot live without atleast an 85hz refresh rate. Smaller monitors doesn`t work that well with that high resolutions and refresh rates.. The photoshop toolbars eat up all the workspace.

But since i got another monitor, i don`t worry about the toolbars anymore. So i guess i`m spoiling myself abit..