Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

C.H.O.W 423 Female Barbarian

C.H.O.W 423 Female Barbarian

Character of the Week #423

Female Barbarian
    Deadline - Sunday, March 26th 10PM GMT

Every year, at the start of the summer season many tribes meet in a grand festival to choose the strongest amongst them via a series of gruelling challenges and tournaments. The contests are open only to women, for the winner will win the right to be symbolically married to the god of blood and battle, and be willingly sacrificed to him a year later to make way for his next wife.
    During this year the red barbarian must wear the sacred colour of red upon her head, and cut a bloody swathe through all her tribe’s enemies, leading every battle from the frontline so as to bring the greatest glory to her husband/god before she is sent to meet him in person.

We are using the fantasy interpretation of “Barbarian” here meaning highly muscled with very low tech weapons and materials. Mostly she will wear furs, leather and skins, what little metal she has will likely be only buckles / clasps and small decorations to hold her costume together. Weapons will often be of bone or stone, etc.

You must take inspiration from any historical origin of a similarly low technological level.
    Again, we are taking the fantasy interpretation of “Barbarian”, and many of these examples are in fact far from barbaric, but could serve as an interesting starting point.
    African tribes: Masai, etc, Mongol tribes, Aztec, Goths, Vandals, Celts, Eskimos or Native Americans, etc.

She must also have red hair as a mark of her victory in the tournament.
    Her hair can be dyed, stained with blood, or with more tropical origins, laced with bright red feathers, shells or something similar.

- Female Barbarian Warrior
    - Costume and race must be inspired by a (low tech) historical era.
    - Must have red hair. (See above)
    - Genre is fantasy.

The Rules:

- FINALS: Must post in finals thread before the deadline
    - KNEES UP: Must show at least 3/4 of the character, from at least the knees up.
    - FRONT VIEW: Must be able to see the front of design. No back views without a front.
    - WIPS: Must show at least 2 work in progress shots with final entry.
    - READABLE: Design must be readable, as in a 3D model could be made from your image.
    - ONLY ONE: May only submit one entry. No multiple submissions.
    - 3D: Must be originally created models, excluding primitives. 3D paint-overs permitted. If you choose to use 3D in whole or in part you must show a screenshot of the model in 3D software with final entry.
    - UNACCEPTABLE: These are not permitted: Photos, photo paint-overs, photobashing, pre-made or purchased 3D
    models, rushed works/ rough sketches.
    - NEW USERS: Must submit entries by 6pm GMT on due date, due to conceptart.org's moderation process: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...-up-yet/page24

- DESIGN: Design your character for the brief, not your personal fetish. Nudes without some design are not permitted.
    - READ: Read through the threads; there may be answers to your questions already posted.
    - FUN: Have fun!

Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    first sketch
    Name:  barbarian betty (Medium).jpg
Views: 2014
Size:  67.4 KB

Thanks
    preliminary line art. Armor is modeled after BC whale bone armor
    Name:  barbariancopy.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  112.7 KB

Thanks
    Did I read this right? Do I get an excuse to paint an actual redhead
    I will try to do some actual studies for this one because I have some more free time over the weekend.
    Here is my most generic interpretation of the idea first. As per usual it's a pretty, wavy haired girl. My imagination never fails to fail me :C
    Name:  barbarian skecthec.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  70.3 KB

Thanks
    Cool. Got an initial sketch going. Not really committing to any part of the design yet, but it's going places.
    Name:  Barbie.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  94.8 KB
    My Sketchbook - All are welcome

Thanks
    Stinkypanda: Half the female characters I draw are always redheads, it's hard for me not to draw one.

Fun fact: This was originally a Red Sonja fanart round, but we wanted to open it up a bit more as previous fanart rounds haven't been successful as they sometimes turn out too limiting. (ie: my Deapool debacle...)

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

Thanks
    The design is pretty set at this point unless something needs to be tweaked or overhauled. Based of Himba tribeswomen with a heaping helping of rpg.
    Name:  Sketches.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  249.1 KB
    Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moirae View Post
    Fun fact: This was originally a Red Sonja fanart round, but we wanted to open it up a bit more as previous fanart rounds haven't been successful as they sometimes turn out too limiting. (ie: my Deapool debacle...)
    Have you been raiding the archives recently for ideas? I keep getting deja-vu - I have an unfinished Red Sonja from a CHOW in 2009!

I'm sure if I'll make this round. But if I do, I'll probably go for a more comical style for a change.

Thanks
    I'm coming to this a little late, but hopefully still early enough to finish this, as it looks fun. Fierce looking women...how can I resist trying?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	423WIP1.jpg 
Views:	1357 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	2237704

Thanks
    Couple more sketches.
    Name:  amazonAztev (Medium).jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  66.6 KB
    Name:  amazonAzteAttak2 (Medium).jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  50.7 KB

Thanks
    Everyone's mostly in the early stages of their designs, so I can't think of much in the way of useful critique yet. I'm loving the variety so far though.

raganosis: I've always been a fan of those giant square Aztec swords. Watch out for the color scheme - it might cause some problems for the design if her entire costume is red-dominant. Since the "red hair" is meant to be a key feature, it won't be as noticeable if the shield and, um, war-bikini, are both just as red :p
    My Sketchbook - All are welcome

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythmaker View Post
    Have you been raiding the archives recently for ideas? I keep getting deja-vu - I have an unfinished Red Sonja from a CHOW in 2009!
    And I though I was bad at having unfinished pieces.

Yes we are occasionally using past rounds, (mecha pilot, Kitsune). I hope you like your backpacker to be over prepared! - That one's a while off though.

If anyone has any ideas or subjects they would like from the long list of previous rounds please visit the C.H.O.W ideas thread and let us know!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...estions/page38

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dammit! I forgot to post wips, got carried away. Maybe I can reverse engineer some wips.
    Pretty much done I think. Would not want to meet this lady...
    Just noticed I can't use metal weapons and have to put something actual red on her head. I should get briefs tattoo'd on the inside of my eyelids before I start something...
    Np, will fix that when it's finals time. Probably change it to whalebone and give her some red ornaments on her head. (stained bones in her hair?)
    Name:  barba wipss.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  111.0 KB
    Last edited by stinkypanda; March 21st, 2017 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks
    @stinkypanda -- Unless I've misunderstood, the red ornaments in the hair are only required if her actual hair isn't red. So it's a good option if you create a darker race where red hair would seem unnatural, you could stain it with blood/paint/put red ornaments in it, but in your case I'd say it isn't really necessary.

Thanks
    Figured I better post my progress before I forget and end up with only one WIP. I haven't had any work in a few days so I have all sorts of free time on my hands to spend on the CHoW. I'm going for the Amazon Warrior - Fantasy version, so she's not Central American as such.) So far, I'm happy. Can't decide if I'm going to give her red hair, or red hair ornaments so for now its just rather dark brown, which is easy to make red.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	423WIP2.jpg 
Views:	1034 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	2238243

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast